Author Topic: Spurs: fucking useless  (Read 2606851 times)

Offline zanwalk

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spurs
« Reply #4360 on: April 7, 2017, 03:58:27 pm »
Kane back in the squad for tomorrow. Could even start apparently! Just need to get Rose back now. Davies is decent backup but he's a fair way short of Rose.

Great news about Harry, though Vorm is ruled out apparently and Lloris is struggling to overcome a sickness bug in time, so could be Pau in goal.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4361 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:23 am »
Kane's got 20+ goals now for 3 seasons in a row. Pretty phenomenal considering the likes of Fowler, Cole, Ferdinand, Owen, Wright, Yorke, Torres and Drogba couldn't manage that.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4362 on: April 17, 2017, 10:26:52 am »
Kane's got 20+ goals now for 3 seasons in a row. Pretty phenomenal considering the likes of Fowler, Cole, Ferdinand, Owen, Wright, Yorke, Torres and Drogba couldn't manage that.

Really though Fowler had as he scored over 30 in all competitions three seasons in a row. Just looked and he 'only' scored 18 in the League in 96/97 but he was banned for the last four games I think and missed a few early on through injury.

Impressive either way from Kane though.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4363 on: April 17, 2017, 10:32:22 am »
Really though Fowler had as he scored over 30 in all competitions three seasons in a row. Just looked and he 'only' scored 18 in the League in 96/97 but he was banned for the last four games I think and missed a few early on through injury.

Impressive either way from Kane though.

True, I should have clarified 'league only'. Taking off my Liverpool hat I have to say Kane's record is far more impressive than Fowlers over their best 3 league seasons, Kane's done it in fewer games and didn't have a 42 game league season in there either.

And that's not putting Fowler down in the slightest, it's just a reflection of how impressive I think Kane's been.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4364 on: April 17, 2017, 10:56:44 am »
Spurs are showing - money really isn't everything!

They get less revenue, spend less on wages, get more money from player sales etc.  But are outperforming the rest of the big clubs, except for Chelsea.

From Swiss Ramble:

Spurs have done great to get to this stage. Of course, now they are a champions league club (well for 2 seasons in a row), players will expect Champions League type wages, so i would imagine after the flurry of contracts given out in the past 6 months the wage bill will go up. Of course, revenues will grow as well, & that is without the stadium move. I think Pocchetinho has been good at balancing the squad out, getting rid of some of the fringe players for decent money & reducing the bloating in the squad & therefore the wage bill. However, of course it's a balancing act, as most would argue they need to add a couple of players of genuine quality to move onto the next level & perform better in Europe.

They are essentially doing what Arsenal did a few years ago, Arsenal renewed the 'Brittish Core' on substantial wages & signed the likes of Ozil & Sanchez on high wages, & this shot their wage bill up. Where i don't think Arsenal have been as ruthless is getting rid of some players who are not contributing enough. Players like Gibbs, Debuchy etc are all on very good money & doing next to nothing.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #4365 on: April 17, 2017, 11:07:32 am »
They keep this up and it won't be long before Pochettino's loyalty is put to the test again.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4366 on: April 17, 2017, 12:59:04 pm »
They had a spell just after Christmas when they were awesome...

Back on that now.... just blowing teams away..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4367 on: April 17, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »
DO well to keep him? Name me the clubs who can entice him away....

Madrid are flying under Zidane so nothing will happen there. Poch just last week ruled out ever managing Barcelona....he's either lied to everyone publicly (incredibly unlikely) or he was being honest (much more likely).

Who else are left? In Europe you'd say Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid and PSG are the only clubs who could entice him away. I can't see him going to the inferior german league, definitely not going to the inferior French league at this stage of his career, I could only see AM as a club capable of attracting him, but they have Simeone.

SO when you actually think about it, he isn't going anywhere. Not when he is building something special at Spurs. No reason we can't win the league title with Poch in the next year or two.

United?

*legs it

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4368 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »
United?

*legs it

Primativ, and fans like him are one of the reasons I hate Spurs. They really do think they are one of the big boys. They're just a mid table club that's hit lucky with the big boys all fucking things up and going through a period of transition of some sort. They're the third biggest club in their own city, probably around the 8th biggest club in England, and there's about 20-25 bigger clubs in Europe, but they all think they have a divine right to sit at the top table  ::)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline My Original Username Back

• Kopite
« Reply #4369 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »
Primativ, and fans like him are one of the reasons I hate Spurs. They really do think they are one of the big boys. They're just a mid table club that's hit lucky with the big boys all fucking things up and going through a period of transition of some sort. They're the third biggest club in their own city, probably around the 8th biggest club in England, and there's about 20-25 bigger clubs in Europe, but they all think they have a divine right to sit at the top table  ::)

Oh yeah, that old classic right there. How exactly are the big boys fucking up? I heard it last summer, oh with Mourinho coming in to United, with Pep at City, with Liverpool having another full season under Klopp, they were all going to finish above Spurs and we were going to go back down to fighting it out for 5th and 6th....

Well, it's not happened has it. The reason is, because it's a load of bollocks. Football isn't played like that, it's played on the pitch and seeing as Spurs are pretty much the best 11 in the PL player for player, it's no surprise to see us 2nd and going for the title.

Best defence, 2nd highest goal scorers (1 goal) behind Liverpool who have played one game more than us. I expect Spurs will finish the season with the best GD, most goals scored, and least goals conceded. I think we have been the best side in the league and routinely, pretty much every week, the opposition players and managers say we are the best side they've faced in the league this season.

Also, we haven't hit it lucky, Spurs have been slowly building this for over a decade.

It's hardly like what I'm saying is delusional either is it.....sure in football things can go wrong at any moment, but Spurs are in a really good place at the moment. Long may it continue.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:09:09 pm by Primativ »

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4370 on: April 17, 2017, 02:14:48 pm »
I think we have been the best side in the league

It's hardly like what I'm saying is delusional either is it

;D No not at all, you keep going.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4371 on: April 17, 2017, 02:14:56 pm »

Say what you like about spurs - and I've said plenty over the years - no one can deny that they're doing pretty damn well at present and sitting quite comfortably at that 'top table'. At least for now.

As for hating Spurs. Really? They're not Chelsea or United are they?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4372 on: April 17, 2017, 02:23:33 pm »
How can you be the best team in the league but you're second?

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4373 on: April 17, 2017, 02:26:03 pm »

I don't think Primativ's being unreasonable. Spurs have become a VERY good team, they have decent money to spend and a new stadium on the horizon. Pochettino is building something special and in fairness they're going about it in the right way. They're not an oil rich club, they bring players through their youth system and they play good football.

I've never been a big fan of Spurs but you can't deny that they're doing well at the moment and deserve the position they're in. This isn't a Leicester type scenario where they're having one incredible season, they've finished in the top 5 in 7 of the last 8 seasons and over the past 2/3 years have put together some credible title challenges.   

Also, I don't think we of all clubs are in a position to criticise other teams for having ideas above their station or believing we have a divine right to sit at the top of the table.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4374 on: April 17, 2017, 02:26:07 pm »

Same way we were in 2008/2009; fewest losses, most goals, best GD. Apparently to Primativ they're more important than points.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4375 on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:05 pm »
Now that some think Spurs can win the league watch them balls it up with a shit draw or lose. They have done it for a century.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4376 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Oh yeah, that old classic right there. How exactly are the big boys fucking up? I heard it last summer, oh with Mourinho coming in to United, with Pep at City, with Liverpool having another full season under Klopp, they were all going to finish above Spurs and we were going to go back down to fighting it out for 5th and 6th....

Well, it's not happened has it. The reason is, because it's a load of bollocks. Football isn't played like that, it's played on the pitch and seeing as Spurs are pretty much the best 11 in the PL player for player, it's no surprise to see us 2nd and going for the title.

Best defence, 2nd highest goal scorers (1 goal) behind Liverpool who have played one game more than us. I expect Spurs will finish the season with the best GD, most goals scored, and least goals conceded. I think we have been the best side in the league and routinely, pretty much every week, the opposition players and managers say we are the best side they've faced in the league this season.

Also, we haven't hit it lucky, Spurs have been slowly building this for over a decade.

It's hardly like what I'm saying is delusional either is it.....sure in football things can go wrong at any moment, but Spurs are in a really good place at the moment. Long may it continue.

Last season was your highest league finish for nearly 30 years. Prior to that, you finished 5th twice between your last 3rd place and 2010. All your other seasons were mid table mediocrity, where a club the size of Spurs would expect to finish.
Since 2010, you've been let in by Liverpool nearly going bankrupt, City and their revolving door policy of buying and selling players, United going to shit since Ferguson left, Arsenal and their fans constantly revolting against Wenger for fuck knows how long and their players  downing tools once it hits mid March.
The only 2 times you've finished above Chelsea in the last 15 years is when they went for the European Cup instead, and last season when they didn't want to play for their manager anymore.
Credit to Levy. While other clubs have been doing this, he's been keeping his own ship steady. But don't pretend yous haven't been helped by the real big clubs in one way or another.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4377 on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:20 pm »
Also, I don't think we of all clubs are in a position to criticise other teams for having ideas above their station or believing we have a divine right to sit at the top of the table.

We're jointly the most succesful club in the country. We're jointly the 3rd most succesful club in Europe. We're punching below our weight.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4378 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42:23 pm »
Even if Southampton takes points from Chelsea, i think Spurs will be Spurs and get only a draw against Arsenal and Utd. They are just not too good in big matches. I still hate the way they played @Utd last time they played.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #4379 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:58 pm »

The same way you end up third in a two horse race whilst being much better than the team who finished first.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4380 on: April 17, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »
It's not even the teams they play but the switch in mentality. Many people are now talking about a title race, talking about them winning the league. It is a huge difference going from catching up to then taking command of the league title.

Its easy to swat teams aside when the pressure isn't 'ON', lets see now that it is. Every shot, pass and tackle will carry more pressure with it.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4381 on: April 17, 2017, 02:51:08 pm »
2008/2009...No chance anyone is the league was better than us that season.

Spurs right now has a better GD and have lost fewer games. I'm not going to say that they are better but at this point, they look to be as good as each other. But one is playing its best football of the year and the other seems to be on their low ebb.

• Kopite
« Reply #4382 on: April 17, 2017, 02:52:43 pm »
It's not even the teams they play but the switch in mentality. Many people are now talking about a title race, talking about them winning the league. It is a huge difference going from catching up to then taking command of the league title.

Its easy to swat teams aside when the pressure isn't 'ON', lets see now that it is. Every shot, pass and tackle will carry more pressure with it.

It's never easy to swat teams aside in the PL. Spurs have been under pressure for weeks now, we've been hunting Chelsea down knowing any slip up and it's game over, that's 7 wins on the bounce. If anyone is showing signs of not hacking the pressure it's Chelsea, 2 defeats in 3 PL games now.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4383 on: April 17, 2017, 02:53:44 pm »
Spurs haven't played any good teams during this winning streak. Let's see how they handle Arsenal and Man U. Crystal Palace away after an FA Cup semi-final has the potential to be a bastard of a fixture too. Too many hard matches for Tottenham to catch Chelsea.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4384 on: April 17, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
Spurs haven't played any good teams during this winning streak. Let's see how they handle Arsenal and Man U at home.
They have Leicester away who with Spurs have been the form team the last 7 games with 6 wins and a draw.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Kopite
« Reply #4385 on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:24 pm »
2008/2009...No chance anyone is the league was better than us that season.

Spurs right now has a better GD and have lost fewer games. I'm not going to say that they are better but at this point, they look to be as good as each other. But one is playing its best football of the year and the other seems to be on their low ebb.

Exactly, ok Chelsea may be 4 points better off, but we've scored more, conceded less, lost less, and I think most neutral fans will agree we play better football than them too. I don't think I'm wrong by saying we have been the best side in the league. Let's not forget how lucky they have been with injuries and no european commitments.

I think if you look at the season as a whole, the bad injuries spurs have had, and the ill fated CL and Europa league commitments, we have been the most impressive side to still be 2nd and pushing for the title.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4386 on: April 17, 2017, 02:57:01 pm »
Oh go on then, tell me all about how Tim Sherwood, Villas Boas and Juande Ramos were all part of this brilliant plan. You've hit lucky with Pochettino and spent a ton of money along the way, the same as everyone else. A lot of it has gone down the drain too, same as everybody else. You aren't this outstandingly brilliantly run club like Sevilla or something.

• Kopite
« Reply #4387 on: April 17, 2017, 02:58:51 pm »
Even if Southampton takes points from Chelsea, i think Spurs will be Spurs and get only a draw against Arsenal and Utd. They are just not too good in big matches. I still hate the way they played @Utd last time they played.

Beaten both Man City and Chelsea at home this season. Arsenal and United are both inferior sides to them this season, so whilst there's no certainty, and they will be very tough games, we should be going for 6 points.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4388 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:33 pm »
They're the best team in the league, if the league was decided against teams from 9th to 20th. (attachments don't carry over with the quote, but click on the quote and the proof is there.)

Updated Top 6/Top8/Rest Tables:

With wins over Stoke & WBA, we look a little better on "The Rest" table.

If we'd been as good as United against the Rest, we'd be up with Spurs in the PL table.

If we'd been as good as Arsenal against the Rest, we'd be up with Chelsea in the PL table.

They'll have a more difficult time sorting out how to be more consistent against the best, than we will figuring out how to beat the shite.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4389 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:54 pm »
Since 1961, Spurs have always failed when it matters. Let's see if they can defy history and be different this time, it would be an incredible achievement if they win the league, or even a double. The likelihood is that they'll fail again because this is what they've done through out their history, they look great at the minute though. I'm definitely uncomfortable watching them.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4390 on: April 17, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
Exactly, ok Chelsea may be 4 points better off, but we've scored more, conceded less, lost less, and I think most neutral fans will agree we play better football than them too. I don't think I'm wrong by saying we have been the best side in the league.

Chelsea fans are going to be guttled to learn it's only April results that apparently count now!

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4391 on: April 17, 2017, 03:03:28 pm »
Oh go on then, tell me all about how Tim Sherwood, Villas Boas and Juande Ramos were all part of this brilliant plan.
:D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4392 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:28 pm »
They're the best team in the league, if the league was decided against teams from 9th to 20th. (attachments don't carry over with the quote, but click on the quote and the proof is there.)

They'll have a more difficult time sorting out how to be more consistent against the best, than we will figuring out how to beat the shite.

That's the thing for me they struggle against the top teams, and that's a lot harder to sort out, then learning how to beat the smaller teams. It will be interesting as for the first time they and Chelsea will have to deal with pressure. They have both cantered so far, with nothing to fear, but now every dropped point will count and that can cause any team problems.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Kopite
« Reply #4393 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:54 pm »
Oh go on then, tell me all about how Tim Sherwood, Villas Boas and Juande Ramos were all part of this brilliant plan. You've hit lucky with Pochettino and spent a ton of money along the way, the same as everyone else. A lot of it has gone down the drain too, same as everybody else. You aren't this outstandingly brilliantly run club like Sevilla or something.

Err, yes we are actually.

Sherwood was a caretaker manager for goodness sake. And no we haven't spent a ton of money, the same as everyone else. We have spent considerably less than the rest of the top 5 and our wage bill is far less by a huge margin.

We are the 6th richest side in the league, yet have finished above all of our richer rivals multiple times (ex Arsenal), and finishing 3rd like last season, even 2nd if that happens this year, is punching well above our weight. Winning a league title would be spectacular if you look at our wealth compared to our rivals.

SO yes, we are a fantastically well run club. Madness to suggest otherwise. Anyone who has any knowledge about Spurs would know we have improved slowly but gradually since Levy took over. Our trophy count has been crap, but league finish wise we have got better and better.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4394 on: April 17, 2017, 03:05:34 pm »

One had Europe to contend with, the other didn't,  luck and injuries can play a part. Loads of reasons.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4395 on: April 17, 2017, 03:06:59 pm »
Sherwood was a caretaker manager for goodness sake.

SO yes, we are a fantastically well run club.
How can you have these two sentences in the same post?

• Kopite
« Reply #4396 on: April 17, 2017, 03:07:13 pm »
Chelsea fans are going to be guttled to learn it's only April results that apparently count now!

That's based on the season so far.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4397 on: April 17, 2017, 03:09:07 pm »
We are the 6th richest side in the league, yet have finished above all of our richer rivals multiple times (ex Arsenal), and finishing 3rd like last season, even 2nd if that happens this year, is punching well above our weight.

Are you going to provide any context to this at all?

• Kopite
« Reply #4398 on: April 17, 2017, 03:10:33 pm »
How can you have these two sentences in the same post?

We had identified Poch as the man to hire, but he wouldn't leave Southampton until the summer so we had to wait a few months so we appointed Sherwood who was already at the club as a youth coach.

Waiting for and hiring Poch was a master stroke. Laughable how you are trying to spin it in a negative way.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4399 on: April 17, 2017, 03:10:39 pm »
The best team is the one which wins the league.