Author Topic: anfield road stand  (Read 243341 times)

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: anfield road stand
« Reply #720 on: August 10, 2016, 01:55:07 pm »
Ahhh, so the GA tickets cost more per game kind of thing.... kinda like cos you are buying a seat in bulk you get 5% off (season ticket) as opposed to selling that seat for every game to a GA punter. And the once a season GA punter is more likely to go in the club shop etc.  Tis a fine balancing act then isnt it I suppose. They would presumably have some money back though from having the ST money in the bank or available to invest or to clear some of the cost of borrowing by having the income in sooner.

Anyway, too complicated for my head...  hopefully once this new main is up and running and sold out they will march on with making sure the ARE adds up in financial terms pronto and crack on with building it. See where things stand after that. Still think they should open the season ticket list up to new applications as it seems it is a complete useless barometer of demand.

My thoughts are that the club should charge more to go onto the season ticket waiting list. Lets say a £600 deposit. You then get issued with membership card to allow you to buy GA tickets at close to season ticket prices (and other concessions if necessary) whilst you wait for your season ticket. When one comes available you stump up the difference to buy you season ticket or you lose your deposit.

This way the club knows both its true size of the waiting list for season tickets and those fans currently on the season ticket waiting list purchasing habits for GA tickets. 

Not popular at a first glance I concede, but this would then give the club the financial confidence to expand the ground to meet demand.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #721 on: August 10, 2016, 07:04:12 pm »
My thoughts are that the club should charge more to go onto the season ticket waiting list. Lets say a £600 deposit. You then get issued with membership card to allow you to buy GA tickets at close to season ticket prices (and other concessions if necessary) whilst you wait for your season ticket. When one comes available you stump up the difference to buy you season ticket or you lose your deposit.

This way the club knows both its true size of the waiting list for season tickets and those fans currently on the season ticket waiting list purchasing habits for GA tickets. 

Not popular at a first glance I concede, but this would then give the club the financial confidence to expand the ground to meet demand.

Get where you are coming from... bit harsh...  but would mean that people on the list are serious...  maybe £100 would be enough?

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:23 pm »

If you are in the first 1000 or so, then maybe, and I mean MAYBE charge something more to stay on the list.

After the first 1000 or so, if the club charges a serious amount of money, then they're just taking the piss.

You cannot expect people to lay out £££ for a deposit on a seasie, that they'll probably never see in their lifetime, maybe even their kids lifetime, probably never.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: August 11, 2016, 01:33:28 am »
You don't know thousands though do you, plenty being a handful.  Why aren't they members attending games?  Hopefully they don't get the chance to take up a season ticket a way from someone who does.

I agree, those who are on the waiting list or who are members should be afforded priority.  I make the point to illustrate the simple fact that we could sell another ten, maybe twenty thousand season tickets with ease.   Some of those who I know who would buy a season ticket are fans who have stopped going for all sorts of reasons but used to go home and away back in the 80s.   We have several million fans worldwide, some fans in the loosest sense but many who are prepared to fork out week in and week out to follow the Reds and who would relish the chance to buy a season ticket.   Another faction of fans have the income to afford to buy a season ticket even if they don't use it for every game simply because they can afford to do so, and £800-£900 is chicken feed to them.  Others can't be arsed with playing the members sale lottery but would happily buy a season ticket.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:35:50 am by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: August 11, 2016, 01:53:19 am »
A season ticket is a commitment so how many would take it when it came down to it if they can not be arsed going now. Also do we want our season tickets going to these rich people that £800-£900 is chicken feed to who may or may not turn up.

The millions of fans worldwide good for merchandise but is irrelevant when it comes to tickets unless we were getting thousands of overseas fans coming to every game. Over the season it will be in the thousands but they couldn't commit to a season ticket.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #725 on: August 11, 2016, 08:33:36 am »
A season ticket is a commitment so how many would take it when it came down to it if they can not be arsed going now. Also do we want our season tickets going to these rich people that £800-£900 is chicken feed to who may or may not turn up.

The millions of fans worldwide good for merchandise but is irrelevant when it comes to tickets unless we were getting thousands of overseas fans coming to every game. Over the season it will be in the thousands but they couldn't commit to a season ticket.

We must get plenty of people travelling to watch the game (whether from abroad or around the UK) given, assuming it is true, that it is impossible to get a hotel room in liverpool if we are playing at home. No idea how many hotel beds there are in Liverpool... ahh Google it.... http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/HDU-18-March-2016-FINAL-VERSION.pdf - just over 6300

So how do you really gauge demand... look at West Ham...  even Man City... they are selling out... are they really more popular than us...?? Time will tell I guess. Read something before that Spurs apparently in teh 70s and 80s had the highest average attendance of all English clubs... who would have thought that... also read about when we were proper good at the end of the 70's 3 years unbeaten at home... we can but dream...

Im excited about the prospects for the ARE. I really think it will be built but I hope they will take time to think about making it into something special, it looks good but things like a retractable (pitch), maybe even a sportscentre somehow integrated (so the retractable astropitch is retracted into it), something different but something that gives payback - sports centre, jogging routes around park, connected to an equestrian centre, gym, summer concerts, climbing walls, sports cafes,.. make it a sporting hub for liverpool... putting 8 apartments in it... I dont like that idea.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: August 11, 2016, 10:23:29 am »
We must get plenty of people travelling to watch the game (whether from abroad or around the UK) given, assuming it is true, that it is impossible to get a hotel room in liverpool if we are playing at home. No idea how many hotel beds there are in Liverpool... ahh Google it.... http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/HDU-18-March-2016-FINAL-VERSION.pdf - just over 6300

So how do you really gauge demand... look at West Ham...  even Man City... they are selling out... are they really more popular than us...?? Time will tell I guess. Read something before that Spurs apparently in teh 70s and 80s had the highest average attendance of all English clubs... who would have thought that... also read about when we were proper good at the end of the 70's 3 years unbeaten at home... we can but dream...

Im excited about the prospects for the ARE. I really think it will be built but I hope they will take time to think about making it into something special, it looks good but things like a retractable (pitch), maybe even a sportscentre somehow integrated (so the retractable astropitch is retracted into it), something different but something that gives payback - sports centre, jogging routes around park, connected to an equestrian centre, gym, summer concerts, climbing walls, sports cafes,.. make it a sporting hub for liverpool... putting 8 apartments in it... I dont like that idea.

This is not the thread you're looking for......

Skyscraper city is thaterway...........

I know what you're saying regarding maximising a new stand, facilities, and income, but be realistic.   We are first and foremost, Liverpool Football Club.

Our bread and butter is football.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:31:26 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #727 on: August 11, 2016, 11:28:06 am »

I know what you're saying regarding maximising a new stand, facilities, and income, but be realistic.   We are first and foremost, Liverpool Football Club.

Our bread and butter, like it or not, is making money from the football to enable us to compete; kind of chicken and egg these days. The main stand is about corporate and hospitality, the umming and arring about the ARE is about money as the regular football punters dont cut the mustard in terms of making it economically viable. When we led the way in football, we led the way off the pitch too, we could afford the biggest fees, we I think introduced sponsors on shirts first (I think but stand to be corrected). To be competitive you have to make money and more than your competitors. Looks at those Forbes and Deloitte lists, there are what 8 clubs above us, and bar the odd exception, year on year, they hoover up all the trophies. I get what you say but foot is about money and the two can not be divorced. Which would  you prefer of the two plans outlined in the planning consent; selling 8 apartments or a shopping centre... I would prefer something that at least relates to sport myself.

We are http://www.liverpoolfc.com/corporate/directors - Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Limited.

I thought this was a forum to discuss things and express views. Nothing wrong with SCC, and given that RAWK seems to nick half of its photo content from there... we are fans and all want Liverpool to return to winning ways and ideally doing in spectacular fashion on a regular basis but that takes cash these days, unfortunately, but perhaps always,  £1mill in the 70s is £50 mill today I guess.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #728 on: August 11, 2016, 11:38:53 am »

I would also point out the the spacial regeneration frame work for the area refers to an equestrian centre. Spurs see a retractable pitch as a viable revenue generator, Cant remember if its chelsea or spurs have climbing walls included in their plans (the highest in the world!). Chelsea has a health club http://www.chelseahealthclub.com/; Man City too http://www.chelseahealthclub.com/

If you have other ideas as to how to make it so they can actually afford to build the stand without selling 8 apartments within them so one off payments and parts of 'our ' stand being owned by whoever... happt to hear them.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #729 on: August 11, 2016, 12:01:32 pm »

Pretty sure someone makes reference to clubs such as Man Utd posting post-match figures saying games have sold out when the attendance clearly have not - maybe these are the rich/overseas season ticket holders who can't be arsed to turn up.

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #730 on: August 11, 2016, 12:04:59 pm »
If you are in the first 1000 or so, then maybe, and I mean MAYBE charge something more to stay on the list.

After the first 1000 or so, if the club charges a serious amount of money, then they're just taking the piss.

You cannot expect people to lay out £££ for a deposit on a seasie, that they'll probably never see in their lifetime, maybe even their kids lifetime, probably never.

I disagree. Those on the waiting list could get discounts and priority to purchase GA tickets. If you attend all EPL home games and cup games, the discount on each ticket would add up. The price £600 was arbitrary, but it does need to be set so that only people who are committed to purchasing a season ticket are willing to put the money up.

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #731 on: August 11, 2016, 12:15:02 pm »
Pretty sure someone makes reference to clubs such as Man Utd posting post-match figures saying games have sold out when the attendance clearly have not - maybe these are the rich/overseas season ticket holders who can't be arsed to turn up.

Man Utd forces season ticket holders to buy cup game tickets. I would imagine some buy, but can't turn up due to circumstances and other don't buy and are forced to miss the next league match.

Manchester United have warned about 9,000 season-ticket holders that a seat for next week’s FA Cup replay against Cambridge United needed to be bought by 8pm on Wednesday or they would not be allowed to attend the home match with Sunderland on 28 February.

The letter sent to season-ticket holders states: “The deadline to buy your seat for Cambridge United is 8pm tonight. Please note that not buying this ticket will result in your Season Ticket being suspended for the Sunderland game.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: August 11, 2016, 12:22:10 pm »
I disagree. Those on the waiting list could get discounts and priority to purchase GA tickets. If you attend all EPL home games and cup games, the discount on each ticket would add up. The price £600 was arbitrary, but it does need to be set so that only people who are committed to purchasing a season ticket are willing to put the money up.

You would price people out of going if the deposit was so high. Season ticket holders average cost is about £40 per game give or take depending where you sit. If you ask someone on the waiting list to pay £600 + £400 for the 10 home games before new year it becomes £1000 for half a season. You would end up with people £600 down and no guarantee of when you would be getting one.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: August 11, 2016, 12:23:24 pm »
Man Utd forces season ticket holders to buy cup game tickets. I would imagine some buy, but can't turn up due to circumstances and other don't buy and are forced to miss the next league match.

Manchester United have warned about 9,000 season-ticket holders that a seat for next week’s FA Cup replay against Cambridge United needed to be bought by 8pm on Wednesday or they would not be allowed to attend the home match with Sunderland on 28 February.

The letter sent to season-ticket holders states: “The deadline to buy your seat for Cambridge United is 8pm tonight. Please note that not buying this ticket will result in your Season Ticket being suspended for the Sunderland game.

It's a joke and we don't want our club going down that route.

Offline banjo

• Main Stander
« Reply #734 on: August 11, 2016, 04:08:52 pm »
You would price people out of going if the deposit was so high. Season ticket holders average cost is about £40 per game give or take depending where you sit. If you ask someone on the waiting list to pay £600 + £400 for the 10 home games before new year it becomes £1000 for half a season. You would end up with people £600 down and no guarantee of when you would be getting one.

It is expensive,  I agree. Lets say after 3 years on the waiting list the club could offer you your money back or the option to to continue on the waiting list. You only lose your deposit if you don't buy a season ticket when a ticket becomes available for you to purchase. I'm just trying to suggest ways in which the club can remove that financial uncertainty as to whether or not the club can put bums on any additional seats.   

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #735 on: August 11, 2016, 04:18:59 pm »
The club will have plenty of info beyond a simple number on a waiting list as to what demand for seats are.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #736 on: August 11, 2016, 06:14:28 pm »
The club will have plenty of info beyond a simple number on a waiting list as to what demand for seats are.

and yet they wont build the ARE until they know what the demand is. It's all really hypothetical isnt really until someone actually buys a ticket. The person who might go 3 or 4 times a year if they can just turn up at the gate and pay to get in... how do you measure that, find them and ask them what their intentions are for the next 5 years? I remember... when i were a lad... just used to get to the Kop for about 1ish..maybe 12... cant remember now and just hand about on the Kop for ages. Went to pretty much every game but would never have got, been able to afford (in one hit) a season ticket (not that I would even have thought about it.

In essence, built, and hope they come cos our best statistical guess says they will, or we're f*ck*d!! That is the beauty of the corp/hosp packages... sold in advance for 3/5 years or whatever the deal was.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41:39 pm »
They could start by offering anyone with 19 games on their membership a season ticket see what the take up is like (no brainer as it would be cheaper for the supporter) and then they would see just how much that reduces the waiting list.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #738 on: August 11, 2016, 07:15:10 pm »
and yet they wont build the ARE until they know what the demand is.

They might already know what that demand is. They might have already made a decision. Or that demand, and what they know, could change (or be backed up) after the most recent sales or the first half of the up coming season.

Just because nothing has been announced, which isn't a surprise given the Main will be getting built until the end of the year, doesn't mean things aren't moving forward with it. We've already had someone on here say the company they work for has been asked to price up jobs to do with it.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: August 11, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »

I've been going the game since 1975, not every season, but was a regular until 1988 and then from 92 to 99 and then again from 03 til 2010 (those last 7 years using someones seasie). In recent years its been the odd game now and again. I finally went on the list in April 2004 and while I'm not going currently due to finances, I will be in a position in a year or so to go, but if offered a seasie now then I'd take it.

My point though is why should people like me and my mates, who are all going on someone elses seasie so don't even register with the club as attending games, have to stump up a shit load of money to stay on a list we've been on for over 12 years? Last time I looked I was 6600 or something, I've only moved 2,000 places since they did the £5 thing, so I'd have to tie hundreds of quid up for years.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #740 on: August 12, 2016, 11:21:08 am »
I've been going the game since 1975, not every season, but was a regular until 1988 and then from 92 to 99 and then again from 03 til 2010 (those last 7 years using someones seasie). In recent years its been the odd game now and again. I finally went on the list in April 2004 and while I'm not going currently due to finances, I will be in a position in a year or so to go, but if offered a seasie now then I'd take it.

My point though is why should people like me and my mates, who are all going on someone elses seasie so don't even register with the club as attending games, have to stump up a shit load of money to stay on a list we've been on for over 12 years? Last time I looked I was 6600 or something, I've only moved 2,000 places since they did the £5 thing, so I'd have to tie hundreds of quid up for years.

Rob, you dont haev to answer this but Im curious, why does the person who you get the season ticket not go the game anymore. According to various persons on here, many season tickets go to other people some I guess get handed down by family members etc. just curious to understand why people who have had these tickets, presumably use to attend, now longer go but retain and presumably pay for a ticket. WHy not just give them up and let the next on the list have a go i.e. you (albeit you get to go?).

Maybe leave teh current list as it is, but if they re-open it, they could say £100 to new people (i.e. not those who have  bee waiting for ages already( who wished to join and maybe make the inclusive of the membership scheme? If people want to pay that, and given virtually no chance of ever getting a ticket, its on them..?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: August 12, 2016, 03:04:37 pm »
The club will need to plough back all of the extra money from the Main Stand to pay it off in five years. It won't want to dilute the demand (and be forced to dip into existing income to keep up the payments) by opening a new stand before it's sure that that's all working and going well. On that basis the earliest to open a new ARE would be in five years - with two years to build, the start on site would be in June 2019.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:50:47 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #742 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:28 pm »
I think they might bring that forward if they ended up swimming in Champions League cash again, but only if we get in next season and look like staying in for a second season. That said, that would only bring it forward by a matter of months so you're probably about right. If we won the title this season they might decide to splurge a bit but they are pretty conservative owners so would want to see consistent CL qualification first.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #743 on: August 13, 2016, 01:18:58 pm »
The club will need to plough back all of the extra money from the Main Stand to pay it off in five years. It won't want to dilute the demand (and be forced to dip into existing income to keep up the payments) by opening a new stand before it's sure that that's all working and going well. On that basis the earliest to open a new ARE would be in five years - with two years to build, the start on site would be in June 2019.

That's depressingly realistic!! So I'm going for next summer and just get depressed then when it doesn't happen!! Unless we win the league... in which case I won't care!!

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #744 on: August 15, 2016, 12:09:26 am »
Our bread and butter, like it or not, is making money from the football to enable us to compete; kind of chicken and egg these days. The main stand is about corporate and hospitality, the umming and arring about the ARE is about money as the regular football punters dont cut the mustard in terms of making it economically viable. When we led the way in football, we led the way off the pitch too, we could afford the biggest fees, we I think introduced sponsors on shirts first (I think but stand to be corrected). To be competitive you have to make money and more than your competitors. Looks at those Forbes and Deloitte lists, there are what 8 clubs above us, and bar the odd exception, year on year, they hoover up all the trophies. I get what you say but foot is about money and the two can not be divorced. Which would  you prefer of the two plans outlined in the planning consent; selling 8 apartments or a shopping centre... I would prefer something that at least relates to sport myself.

We are http://www.liverpoolfc.com/corporate/directors - Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Limited.

I thought this was a forum to discuss things and express views. Nothing wrong with SCC, and given that RAWK seems to nick half of its photo content from there... we are fans and all want Liverpool to return to winning ways and ideally doing in spectacular fashion on a regular basis but that takes cash these days, unfortunately, but perhaps always,  £1mill in the 70s is £50 mill today I guess.

It's a thread about the Anfield Road stand. Locked until there's news.

We don't nick stuff from Skyscraper City. The images posted on there and on here are in the public domain.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.