Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1234071 times)

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #6920 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:44 pm »
You seen this? Boss series.
Nope but I did see scream 😁. That looks similar to 13 reasons why. Glad this sort of thing is being made more widely aware and given a platform, rather than shirked.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6921 on: April 28, 2017, 04:23:53 pm »
Nope but I did see scream 😁. That looks similar to 13 reasons why. Glad this sort of thing is being made more widely aware and given a platform, rather than shirked.
Me too, it's massively important.

have you seen Riverdale yet? It's cool.

Riverdale. This is a new darker, sexier take on the Archie comics series. I know nothing of the comics,  but I'm intrigued by this as it's been getting plaudits from all who've seen the opener...plus, it's on CW. It's supposedly has a Twin Peaks/Blue Velvet kinda vibe, which we see from the trailer...we'll see.

I enjoyed this. It was full of teen angst and witty bon mots with a dark “Twin Peaks” vibe*.  Apparently..... “Archie got hot – he has abs now, six of them!” This is a departure from the source material and it worked.

I'd have binged over the course of the night if I could have.

Madchen Amick plays Betty's mom and Luke Perry plays Archie's dad, in a cast that's fullof...preternatural beauty. ;D

I liked it. It had a similar vibe to Dawsons....I've only seen snippet sof Dawsons...but I've been told by someone who watched every ep of DC that it's so. ;D

I liked the 80's nod with Perry and Amchick showing up here...I know later in the season we get another 80's icon turning up...I won't spoil the surprise...but it's a real icon of that decade and a certain kind of movie genre.

I also noticed the episode title...I looked at the other ep's titles and they're all nods to famous films...it's fulla nods...it's as Veronica said....“Can’t we, in this post-James Franco world, be all things at once?”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9XmFTADupMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9XmFTADupMc</a>
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6922 on: April 28, 2017, 04:30:36 pm »
Later this week we'll see three new series. One that I'm really looking forward to and another that'll be...the kinds shite I tend to like...trite nonsense..and another that is a spin off from a film.

Great News is a series, set in the world of television news, follows an up-and-coming news producer who finds herself dealing with a new intern: her mother. It'll be fun, nothing more. It's from Tina Fey and Robert Carlock.

Tuesday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/77RPxBgzc6Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/77RPxBgzc6Q</a>

Dear White People

Is about a diverse group of students at a predominantly white college...if you've seen the satire that was the film you'll know what to expect. If not, tune in anyway, this might be good.

Thursday.
Dear White People

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S6xjnsuIfA4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S6xjnsuIfA4</a>
Great News was okay in a dysfunctional work place/family comedy way. I defy anyone whose seen The Mary Tyler Moore Show to not think of Ted Knight when they see the male newscaster in GN...it's simply a reprise of the Ted Baxter role from that show. Worth a watch.

Dear White People is now available as a season dl. I've not seen any yet, nor did I see the film...so....we'll see.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6923 on: April 28, 2017, 05:25:00 pm »
Going to lash this one in again. Flew through 46 episodes over the last few weeks, cant get enough of it.

Terrace House
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4790546/?ref_=nv_sr_2

All ep's on Netflix.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #6924 on: April 29, 2017, 10:50:30 am »
Finished last night Bosch's series 3. This series is the definition of solid. Your 6/7 out of 10 performance we say about a football player (Clyne). Think the acting from some of the supporting cast could have been much better but all in all another decent viewing.

ps: Think Bosch, in the span of 10 episodes, cracked a smile only once.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #6925 on: April 29, 2017, 12:06:22 pm »
Finished Patriot last night....loved it ....terrific mix of absurd black humour, spy genre and psychological thriller...and some great performances - main lead Michael Dorman (special Op / Pipeline Salesman / Folk Singer / PTSD sufferer) was terrific - as was Aliette Opheim as the dogged, mysterious and very alluring homicide detective .....topped off by an excellent soundtrack and the best opening credits since True Detective....a refreshingly original and inventive show - made up to see it's been given the thumbs up for season 2  8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6926 on: April 29, 2017, 12:13:07 pm »
Does Big Little Lies improve as it goes on? The first two episodes weren't especially good, lots of expensive actors but all unlikable characters, also the little flash forwards are just repetitive and irritating considering there doesn't seem to be any hint as to who is involved.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6927 on: April 29, 2017, 12:28:41 pm »
Finished last night Bosch's series 3. This series is the definition of solid. Your 6/7 out of 10 performance we say about a football player (Clyne). Think the acting from some of the supporting cast could have been much better but all in all another decent viewing.

ps: Think Bosch, in the span of 10 episodes, cracked a smile only once.

This was almost exactly my reaction. I think the acting smoothed out a bit as the season progressed, but it was downright jarring in places in the first episode or two. Lots of weird timing (possibly not the actors' faults) and vaguely inappropriate line-reading. There was a conversation between whatever-rank-Bosch's-boss-is and the detective played by Mac's Dad that was so awkward that I really have no idea how it made it in to the final cut of a major production.

Finished Patriot last night....loved it ....terrific mix of absurd black humour, spy genre and psychological thriller...and some great performances - main lead Michael Dorman (special Op / Pipeline Salesman / Folk Singer / PTSD sufferer) was terrific - as was Aliette Opheim as the dogged, mysterious and very alluring homicide detective .....topped off by an excellent soundtrack and the best opening credits since True Detective....a refreshingly original and inventive show - made up to see it's been given the thumbs up for season 2  8)

Having also finished it last night, I give you a wholehearted "this." I thought it was brilliant. And, despite being a comedy, and at times a genuinely laugh-out-loud funny one, it managed to be more effectively sad in places than any show I've seen in ages. Spoiler for those who haven't watched:

Spoiler
The whole scene with Rob (possibly) killing himself set to his song about it got me, but the real kicker was John killing his British/Iranian 'counterpart.' Man.

Also, I'm really not a fan of ending the first season of a TV show on a cliffhanger while renewal is still up in the air, but I'll give this one a pass.
[close]

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #6928 on: April 29, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »
Having also finished it last night, I give you a wholehearted "this." I thought it was brilliant. And, despite being a comedy, and at times a genuinely laugh-out-loud funny one, it managed to be more effectively sad in places than any show I've seen in ages.

Spoiler

yep, spot on....there's a sadness to John throughout and his emotional state and confusion seems to worsen as the series goes on - hints are given as to why this is ...obviously the PTSD / cage / American Pie etc has something to do with it! but it's never overtly stated ...Dorman does a terrific job portraying the fragile but dangerous John...really is a belting performance
[close]
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6929 on: April 29, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »
Nearly finished Legion, very enjoyable and weird.

Couple into Bosch, seems same as usual to me, solid police drama, not noticed any problems with it - must be because I'm always half asleep by the time it gets ot telly time!

Watched a couple of Big Little Lies, I just want to know the answer of who got killed and to look longingly at Nicole Kidman, the warring-mums plot is a bit too much like real life to enjoy.

Going to catch up with second episode of the final season of The Leftovers which is compelling and utter bollocks at the same time, then got Patriot queued up.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6930 on: April 29, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
Looking for a new series. Last few weeks I've watched:

13 Reasons Why, Legion, Fargo (Series 1 but couldn't get into Series 2).

Thinking Broadchurch maybe?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6931 on: April 29, 2017, 04:26:40 pm »
Looking for a new series. Last few weeks I've watched:

13 Reasons Why, Legion, Fargo (Series 1 but couldn't get into Series 2).

Thinking Broadchurch maybe?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6932 on: April 29, 2017, 04:28:37 pm »
Spotless, as well.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #6933 on: April 29, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »
Dear White People is now available as a season dl. I've not seen any yet, nor did I see the film...so....we'll see.

Like it.

Fifth episode deals with an issue debated on here previously - when white people use the n word as it is part of a songs lyrics.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6934 on: April 29, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »
Like it.

Fifth episode deals with an issue debated on here previously - when white people use the n word as it is part of a songs lyrics.
Thanks, John. I'll start it tonight.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #6935 on: April 29, 2017, 05:23:32 pm »
Spotless, as well.

don't think i've ever seen a series that fizzled out as spectacularly as this did....started out very promisingly...improved as it went on...and then at the final fence turned into Scooby Doo  ;D ...im sure they must have handed the scriptwriting reigns over to someone else with a couple of episodes to go...

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6936 on: April 29, 2017, 05:31:30 pm »
don't think i've ever seen a series that fizzled out as spectacularly as this did....started out very promisingly...improved as it went on...and then at the final fence turned into Scooby Doo  ;D ...im sure they must have handed the scriptwriting reigns over to someone else with a couple of episodes to go...
I enjoyed...but I'm about to watch a Spanish series about a group of women in 20's Madrid: Las Chicas Del Cable. This is abut a group of young women who work for the national telephone company, the only place that represents progress and modernity for women at the time. A melodrama that I doubt many if any other than I will be watching any time soon. ;D

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #6937 on: April 29, 2017, 05:45:57 pm »
I enjoyed...but I'm about to watch a Spanish series about a group of women in 20's Madrid: Las Chicas Del Cable. This is abut a group of young women who work for the national telephone company, the only place that represents progress and modernity for women at the time. A melodrama that I doubt many if any other than I will be watching any time soon. ;D

that actually looks alright D! - let us know if it is or not  8)

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #6938 on: April 29, 2017, 05:52:50 pm »
Loved the Amazon pilot The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel ...part Mad Men, part Neil Simon, part Woody Allen. Very enjoyable

very pleased to see that Amazon have commissioned 2 (two) seasons of this on the strength of the pilot...first time they've ordered multiple seasons apparently?....I think the strong opener and the track record of the folk behind it (creators of The Gilmore Girls) must've swung it...well worth a watch for the snappy dialogue alone

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6939 on: April 29, 2017, 05:55:05 pm »
very pleased to see that Amazon have commissioned 2 (two) seasons of this on the strength of the pilot...first time they've ordered multiple seasons apparently?....I think the strong opener and the track record of the folk behind it (creators of The Gilmore Girls) must've swung it...well worth a watch for the snappy dialogue alone
This was a I Love Lucy moment when I saw this. I'm behind anything Amy Sherman-Palladino for Bunheads alone. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6940 on: April 29, 2017, 05:55:23 pm »

that actually looks alright D! - let us know if it is or not  8)
Will do.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6941 on: April 29, 2017, 06:52:29 pm »
Me too, it's massively important.

have you seen Riverdale yet? It's cool.

Riverdale. This is a new darker, sexier take on the Archie comics series. I know nothing of the comics,  but I'm intrigued by this as it's been getting plaudits from all who've seen the opener...plus, it's on CW. It's supposedly has a Twin Peaks/Blue Velvet kinda vibe, which we see from the trailer...we'll see.

I enjoyed this. It was full of teen angst and witty bon mots with a dark “Twin Peaks” vibe*.  Apparently..... “Archie got hot – he has abs now, six of them!” This is a departure from the source material and it worked.

I'd have binged over the course of the night if I could have.

Madchen Amick plays Betty's mom and Luke Perry plays Archie's dad, in a cast that's fullof...preternatural beauty. ;D

I liked it. It had a similar vibe to Dawsons....I've only seen snippet sof Dawsons...but I've been told by someone who watched every ep of DC that it's so. ;D

I liked the 80's nod with Perry and Amchick showing up here...I know later in the season we get another 80's icon turning up...I won't spoil the surprise...but it's a real icon of that decade and a certain kind of movie genre.

I also noticed the episode title...I looked at the other ep's titles and they're all nods to famous films...it's fulla nods...it's as Veronica said....“Can’t we, in this post-James Franco world, be all things at once?”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9XmFTADupMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9XmFTADupMc</a>

Yes riverdale is pretty good, actually going to watch the new ep tonight! Its not as cringey as I expected to be honest, although I do guess you have to suspend disbelief a little bit cause most the actors look older than me and their like playing really young teens.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6942 on: April 29, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »
Yes riverdale is pretty good, actually going to watch the new ep tonight! Its not as cringey as I expected to be honest, although I do guess you have to suspend disbelief a little bit cause most the actors look older than me and their like playing really young teens.
I can dig that mate. Like I said, full of preternatural beauty..like a town full of models. Still, it's fun.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6943 on: April 29, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
This is available from today on Netflix. I should have said earlier.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6944 on: April 29, 2017, 07:19:46 pm »
I can dig that mate. Like I said, full of preternatural beauty..like a town full of models. Still, it's fun.
I think that goes for most CW shows though 😂😂

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6945 on: April 29, 2017, 07:52:54 pm »
Just saw that The Tick is starting its first series in August. Did anyone see the pilot? Thought it was alright myself.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6946 on: April 29, 2017, 08:40:01 pm »
Hacker leaks ten stolen episodes of "Orange is the New Black" after Netflix fails to pay for them
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #6947 on: April 29, 2017, 09:12:54 pm »
That's up in the usual places but its a 13 episode series so you know......
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #6948 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:19 am »
Hacker leaks ten stolen episodes of "Orange is the New Black" after Netflix fails to pay for them

"Our policy is not to negotiate with terrorists"
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6949 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:42 am »
Think that's got ta be worth a ban. Dave sort it out mate.

Ffs getting a guy's hopes up [emoji6]
Tonight in the USA: American Gods;D

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6950 on: April 30, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »
Tonight in the USA: American Gods;D

Can't wait really looking forward to it.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6951 on: April 30, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »
I buckled and watched Sweet/Vicious, it's pretty good. They struck a nice balance between comedy and drama, and in general seemed to tackle a lot of the issues you hear about in the news. I guess one criticism is that they never addressed false accusations and the damage they can also do, but given the subject they were tackling is so rarely covered it made sense for them to focus on one side of things.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6952 on: May 1, 2017, 01:04:20 am »
Anybody watched this season of Arrow? Its been pretty good so far

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6953 on: May 1, 2017, 08:59:22 am »
Netflix hacker who leaked Orange is the New Black season 5 lists 'hundreds of gigabytes' more of stolen, unseen TV

The alleged shows and films that were taken. Although seen some of the shows only have 2-3 episodes left this season it wont matter to them. If it is right of course.

A Midsummers Nightmare – TV Movie
Above Suspicion – Film
Bill Nye Saves The World – TV Series
Breakthrough – TV Series
Brockmire – TV Series
Bunkd – TV Series
Celebrity Apprentice (The Apprentice) – TV Series
Food Fact or Fiction – TV Series
Handsome – Film
Hopefuls – TV Series
Hum – Short
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia – TV Series
Jason Alexander Project – TV Series
Liza Koshy Special – YoutubeRed
Lucha Underground – TV Series
Lucky Roll – TV Series
Making History ) – TV Series
Man Seeking Woman – TV Series
Max and Shred – TV Series
Mega Park – TV Series
NCIS Los Angeles – TV Series
New Girl – TV Series
Orange Is The New Black – TV Series
Portlandia – TV Series
Rebel In The Rye – Film
Steve Harveys Funderdome – TV Series
Story of God with Morgan Freeman – TV Series
Superhuman – TV Series
The Arrangement – TV Series
The Catch – TV Series
The Middle – TV Series
The Stanley Dynamic – TV Series
The Thundermans – TV Series
Undeniable with Joe Buck – TV Series
Win It All – Film
X Company – TV Series
XXX Return of Xander Cage – Film
« Last Edit: May 1, 2017, 09:19:32 am by Trada »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #6954 on: May 1, 2017, 09:37:16 am »
What a knob.

A fiver a month for all the TV you can eat, I'll wait for it to be out on Netflix.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #6955 on: May 1, 2017, 03:32:50 pm »
Any idea when the new series of Fargo is going to be shown in the UK?

Thanks for the Patriot heads up all who mentioned it earlier. Only a few episodes in but it's very entertaining, and one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6956 on: May 1, 2017, 04:01:27 pm »
Anybody watched this season of Arrow? Its been pretty good so far

I just barely managed to finish season 3 without binning it completely, ever since the likes of Atom and The Flash came into it the show has been terrible. It's a shame as those first two seasons were brilliant, but with so many idiots running around and all of the resurrection stuff it's just dead for me now (there's a joke in there somewhere).

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6957 on: May 1, 2017, 06:19:08 pm »
American Gods got off to a great start. Gonna be fun.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6958 on: May 1, 2017, 07:30:56 pm »
OK a man eating vagina that something you don't see on the TV very often.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6959 on: May 2, 2017, 12:59:04 am »
I just barely managed to finish season 3 without binning it completely, ever since the likes of Atom and The Flash came into it the show has been terrible. It's a shame as those first two seasons were brilliant, but with so many idiots running around and all of the resurrection stuff it's just dead for me now (there's a joke in there somewhere).

You should try it again. Season 5 is the best since s2. No over the top stuff either.