Author Topic: The iTunes / iPod help thread.  (Read 110396 times)

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iTunes / iPod help thread.
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:09 pm »
Holy shit fellas... I have found the best ever ID3 tag program / editor EVER! Its awsome, and so simple... Totally cleans up your illegal downloaded shit! Holy shit I need to  :hally
PM me and I will pass it on.  :wave

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2007, 11:04:16 pm »
I know an even better one. PM me all you like, I'm not telling.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2007, 11:41:13 pm »
I edit them with itunes.

???
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2007, 06:42:18 am »
I edit them with itunes.

???
iTunes cant distinguish between your id3 v.1 and v.2 tags. Each MP3 file is probably a combination of the two, and this is why sometimes you get problems like I had earlier. Its quite interresting because both versions carry different information under the same Descriptor eg... Comment. This was also the reason why many of my dance tracks were cut short of the whole file name... As it was using the old id3 version 1.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2007, 08:55:09 am »
this is why sometimes you get problems like I had earlier.

No I don't :D

I think the long file name issue may be a PC specific one, though.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline stillers77

• Main Stander
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2007, 09:31:09 am »
Can anyone suggest a good free program to take the music off my ipod?

Its being a bit random, the music appears on the ipod when I plug into my computer but isn't there when I try and use it normally. Used it as a portable hard-drive the other day for the first time, think it must've messed something up and will need to be restored but I don't want to lose my music.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2007, 09:39:07 am »
Can anyone suggest a good free program to take the music off my ipod?

itunes.

???

Offline stillers77

• Main Stander
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2007, 09:42:04 am »
Na itunes only lets you put it on

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2007, 09:44:12 am »

Cant use iTunes... It will wipe his ipod clean.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2007, 09:44:31 am »
Each time I'm tempted by an ipod I look at threads like this and change my mind. Why can't they just let you do whatever you want?
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline stillers77

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2007, 09:46:06 am »
got some trial software, gonna give that a bash. Pain in the arse when you're dealing with 25 gigs of music though.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2007, 09:47:42 am »
Each time I'm tempted by an ipod I look at threads like this and change my mind. Why can't they just let you do whatever you want?
Its not all that bad... It only gets complicatied if you yourself wants it complicated. Itunes is rather simple imo. So is the ipod. I used creative before... nightmare software that was.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2007, 10:02:34 am »

Because iTunes is a resource hogging, bloated, DRMed up shop interface masquerading as syncing software.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2007, 10:09:21 am »

Because nuking the royals is illegal in 90% of the world.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2007, 10:09:32 am »

They do. Threads like this are caused by people who can't use the software.

Na itunes only lets you put it on

???

The songs you have on your ipod are in itunes, right?

Use itunes to restore your ipod, and then sync it again - then the songs on your itunes are on your ipod. (first image)

Any you don't want on, just uncheck them, and select "sync only checked songs and videos" and it won't put them on. (second image)

If you don't even want them on your itunes, just select the song, and press delete (from your library, NOT within a playlist) and the song will be gone forever.

OR

just manually put what songs you want on the ipod, by unchecking "sync music" and then just putting on what you want, including just setting up your own playlists directly on the ipod when connected. (third image)

Like I say - no lack of what itunes can do, just people who don't know how to (though quite how anyone can't figure out pressing delete deletes a song...)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:15:20 am by nidgemo »

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2007, 11:30:25 am »
nidgemo... If for example I want to transfer all my songs from my ipod to another PC... like my dads pc... how do you do it? It isnt possible as far as I know... is it?

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:07 am »
nidgemo... If for example I want to transfer all my songs from my ipod to another PC... like my dads pc... how do you do it? It isnt possible as far as I know... is it?

There's software that'll do this.  Not sure what's freeware, google it.  If you're willing to pay for it, Copypod is excellent.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2007, 11:57:25 am »
There's software that'll do this.  Not sure what's freeware, google it.  If you're willing to pay for it, Copypod is excellent.
Thanks.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2007, 12:02:57 pm »

It is.

Switch on disc usage on your ipod, and copy the folder where all your music is kept on to the ipod by drag and drop. (also turn off auto sync this ipod before you do the next step)

Plug the ipod into your dads computer, and, as sync is turned off, it'll not overwrite it.

When the ipod mounts as a hard drive, just go into the folder you dropped into it, and take off what you want.

The above is for just being able to put songs on to another computer.

If you're trying to have, in essence, exactly the same itunes, with all matching playlists etc of both computers, you need to copy the entire itunes folder which should contain the stuff shown below (might not have the previous... one), and then delete the same folder on the other computer, replacing it in the exact same location with the one from your own computer (itunes MUST be closed down while you do all of this) - once that's copied, open itunes, and it'll be an exact replica of the one on the other machine - playlists, album artwork - even song orders and what is not selected to play.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:07:15 pm by nidgemo »

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2007, 04:55:26 pm »
I updated iTunes about 2 weeks ago, and ever since, every time I connect my iPod, it runs this "Determining Gapless Playback" thing on it which slows my computer down to standstill. Any idea what this is, and how I can turn it off?

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2007, 05:13:36 pm »
If you are on windows go to your library in itunes and select all your songs (STRG +a)

Right click and then select properties. You can then de-select gapless Album

On a Mac, select all right click, get info, de-select gapless Album.

Hope this helps. 

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2007, 12:08:36 am »
If you are on windows go to your library in itunes and select all your songs (STRG +a)

Hope this helps. 
Thanks mate :wave Tried it just now and it worked. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff, Cheers ;D

Online archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2007, 04:49:46 pm »
I was playing my recently purchased ipod nano on my speakers when the screen went black and i couldn't change any songs although i could still hear them.

now i can't switch it on. when i plugged it into my computer i recieved a message saying my ipod was corrupted.

So is it irreversably fucked?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2007, 05:03:44 pm »
I was playing my recently purchased ipod nano on my speakers when the screen went black and i couldn't change any songs although i could still hear them.

now i can't switch it on. when i plugged it into my computer i recieved a message saying my ipod was corrupted.

So is it irreversably fucked?

No, you'll just need to restore it to factory settings, and then re-synch your music to it.

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:20 pm »
Anyone ever get a Error 4450 when trying to burn a CD?  Trying to burn a playlist to a CDR then after a few songs it comes up with the Error 4450 and spits the CD out   >:( 

I've tried burning different playlists and updated to itunes 7.5 but it makes no difference.  I've always found it a bit hit and miss burning CD's from iTunes but found Maxell CDR's seemed to be ok.  Until now...

I've googled for it and have tried the suggestions posted including different CDR brands but all I'm doing is going through loads & loads of CDR's...  :no

Anyone ever had this?

Ta.

Edit:  Could it be the CD writer on my laptop?
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:19 am »

Hope this helps. 
I also got this 'gapless album' thingy... so thanks for the info on how to turn it off... Question is... What actually is 'Gapless Album'? What does it do?

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2007, 07:26:53 pm »
I also got this 'gapless album' thingy... so thanks for the info on how to turn it off... Question is... What actually is 'Gapless Album'? What does it do?

Means that the songs all merge into one, upon playback, no gaps between tracks.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #107 on: December 7, 2007, 09:28:45 am »
I hate iTunes. I've got a very large Music folder on my Mac that was transferred from an external hard drive. When I try to add that folder to iTunes I get a  message telling me that the file is to big for the Macintosh HD destination. How do I get iTunes to recognise all the albums on the laptop?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 7, 2007, 09:55:30 am »
Michael

If you're trying to have, in essence, exactly the same itunes, with all matching playlists etc of both computers, you need to copy the entire itunes folder which should contain the stuff shown below (might not have the previous... one), and then delete the same folder on the other computer, replacing it in the exact same location with the one from your own computer (itunes MUST be closed down while you do all of this) - once that's copied, open itunes, and it'll be an exact replica of the one on the other machine - playlists, album artwork - even song orders and what is not selected to play.

If that's not what you're trying to do, explain things a bit more clearly and I'll sort it out, no bother.  :wave

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 7, 2007, 10:01:27 am »
On re-reading, it sounds to me like you already have stuff in your itunes, and you're trying to add more that you've got from an external source, probably saved as a folder on your desktop?

Correct?

Then, when you try to copy all this into your itunes library, you are getting an error saying you don't have enough space?

Right?

Obvious reason for this is that you don't have enough space ;)

This is because, if you have, say, 10GB of files on your HD, and try to copy them into itunes, itunes will duplicate these files into home folder>music>itunes>itunes music, and, as such, you'll still be using the 10gb on your desktop, AND 10GB on the itunes folder.

If this is what is happening, simply copy them in in blocks of a few hundred songs, and, once they are copied into itunes, delete them from the folder on your desktop (you will still have the copy of the song in the itunes folder so no longer need them on the desktop)

does that help?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #110 on: December 7, 2007, 10:02:38 am »
Trying something else; this may be a 'duh' moment...but if I 'Consolidate Library' will it convert all my MP3 files to MP4 iTunes files?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 7, 2007, 10:33:21 am »
Trying something else; this may be a 'duh' moment...but if I 'Consolidate Library' will it convert all my MP3 files to MP4 iTunes files?

don't think so.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #112 on: December 7, 2007, 01:36:51 pm »
The iTunes Library on the mac has got dozens of folders in it of various bands. But none of them appear in the iTunes Music when I open up iTunes. Is this, or is this not, a piece of shit software? I've tried all sorts of things to sort it out. It may sound like heresy, but WMP is much easier to use and move music around...

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
Ipod question?
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2007, 12:27:58 pm »
I'm very tempted by the new 80gig Ipod classic. So tempted I may actually get one. However the thing which puts me off Ipods are the daft restrictions which seem to come with them. Not having had one I don't know how much truth there is in all the gripes and moans, so can anyone tell me:

Do I have to use Itunes?

Will Itunes always have to run and be a big stupid resource hog?

Will Itunes unilaterally wipe stuff off my hard drive/ipod without my telling it too?

Will the ipod play WMA, FLAC, OGG etc or am I limited to mp3?

I've answered this one myself via  this review:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/apple/review/2007/10/03/Apple-iPod-Classic-80GB/p3

Ta for any help offered.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:38:45 pm by Armin »
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline RajR

• Helpful but halfwitted TRE mong
  • Kopite
Re: Ipod question?
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2007, 12:29:34 pm »
Get a Creative one instead.

I don't own an iPod.

Offline mikek1984

• Peel 'ed. Property of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »
i find that i use itunes now anyway to play my tunes

because of the playlists set up and because all the tunes are in one place

i tunes wont wipe stuff unless you tell it too
i know with wma and flac i think that it can automatically convert the tunes into mp3
I LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2007, 12:31:37 pm »
Do the tunes have to be in one place? At the moment my music is stored on an external drive, can I tell Itunes that's where my music is and that's the end of it or will Itunes demand I move it into it's own folder.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2007, 12:39:17 pm »
Do the tunes have to be in one place? At the moment my music is stored on an external drive, can I tell Itunes that's where my music is and that's the end of it or will Itunes demand I move it into it's own folder.

Not at all.  You don't need to do any moving files or anything like that.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2007, 12:40:27 pm »

Do I have to use Itunes?

Will Itunes always have to run and be a big stupid resource hog?

Will Itunes unilaterally wipe stuff off my hard drive/ipod without my telling it too?

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2007, 12:41:40 pm »
Ta.

It looks like a very good buy for music, less so for video because of the limited formats. The annoying lack of a radio is a bummer, creative has one but their hard disk based zen's seem to have all but disappeared and the ipod undoubtedly looks smoother.