Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1040371 times)

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2007, 10:53:57 am »

But I'll fill you full of lead,
If my Nokia is dissed,

:lmao   very funny.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2007, 10:55:22 am »
It'll be interesting to see how user friendly it is for calling and texting, those are the areas which have tended to push mobile manufacturers away from a pure touch screen interface in the past.

Calling? Pah! Texting? Don't be daft. They're merely fads which will never catch on. MP3/Video/Photo manipulation are the core needs of the modern phone iuser.

The media business sector will lap these up cause they're really stylish and a lot of them are using Macs already. Maybe they'll even be able to use iphone to lever more business for their computer division.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2007, 11:57:19 am »
Calling? Pah! Texting? Don't be daft. They're merely fads which will never catch on.
;D

Steve Jobs made it clear in his keynote launching the iPhone that the "killer app" for a mobile phone was, er, making calls!
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2007, 12:21:53 pm »
The visionary genius.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2007, 12:30:21 pm »
in a survey conducted at CES people voted 55-45 in favour of Bill Gates as the one they prefer between him and Jobs,

SPEAKS VOLUMES i think.

The survey was conducted by Heinekin or Coors, so they were all pissed. Thats when people are most honest, i bet all the mac heads give it the whole "we love jobs" when sober then when they get drunk and remorseful its all "oh i wish i had a pc so i could play a game"
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2007, 03:48:14 pm »
in a survey conducted at CES people voted 55-45 in favour of Bill Gates as the one they prefer between him and Jobs,

SPEAKS VOLUMES i think.

The survey was conducted by Heinekin or Coors, so they were all pissed. Thats when people are most honest, i bet all the mac heads give it the whole "we love jobs" when sober then when they get drunk and remorseful its all "oh i wish i had a pc so i could play a game"

whats that got to do with anything?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2007, 03:56:09 pm »
sheesh, dont you recongnise trolling when you see it, honestly some people
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2007, 04:31:49 pm »
I do, but I only want you for your camera ;) ;D

Looooooooooooooooooo...
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2007, 07:20:30 pm »

Looooooooooooooooooo...

I'm safe, she never ventures to Tech and Science :P

hoonin

« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2007, 07:28:27 pm »
I'm safe, she never ventures to Tech and Science :P

Time to rename the board "The Shopping Forum"

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2007, 08:04:02 pm »
Time to rename the board "The Shopping Forum"

She hates shopping.
Rename it 'The Fernando Alonso Board'

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2007, 12:02:05 pm »
If it's got integrated 'filofax' functionality (preferably linking to the office exchange server) then it could well be marketed as the must have business gadget.  The next blackberry ?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2007, 12:34:26 pm »
Will it link to MS Exchange though, with Apple apparently not allowing any 3rd party software development for it?

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2007, 02:06:27 pm »
Will it link to MS Exchange though, with Apple apparently not allowing any 3rd party software development for it?

Exchange already has support for open standards (believe it or not) IMAP and LDAP (i think) for Mail and Address Book access, so this will definitely be in there as it is on desktop Mac OS X.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2007, 02:13:40 pm »
Well thats something then, to be honest though I think the price differential versus a Blackberry makes it unlikely to become too widespread as a business device in any case.

Can't see most businesses paying that when a Blackberry does the job perfectly adequately, they'd really need to cut down the spec and price to make it a viable Blackberry replacement.

hoonin

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2007, 04:33:53 pm »
If it's got integrated 'filofax' functionality (preferably linking to the office exchange server) then it could well be marketed as the must have business gadget.  The next blackberry ?

You mean we could fax filo directly? I'm in for a bit of that :D

Phil, make sure you  carry plenty of paper!

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2007, 12:38:25 am »
Blackberry in filo pastry. Nice.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2007, 08:32:14 am »
I think its an ugly "little" thing  :wave

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2007, 08:33:01 am »
I think its an ugly "little" thing  :wave

Enough about smiff. What about the iphone?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2007, 09:11:17 am »
You mean we could fax filo directly? I'm in for a bit of that :D

Phil, make sure you  carry plenty of paper!

Filofax?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2007, 02:57:57 pm »
Haven't read the thread, so this might be posted already... If not, it's funny...
http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3847
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2007, 10:27:02 am »
Exchange already has support for open standards (believe it or not) IMAP and LDAP (i think) for Mail and Address Book access, so this will definitely be in there as it is on desktop Mac OS X.

Exchange supports MAPI, POP3, IMAP4, Outlook Web Access, Outlook Mobile Access (WAP), Exchange Active Sync, and RPC over HTTP (MAPI). MAPI is generally the protocol of choice to connect to Exchange to support all features. A lot of mobile users (laptop) are using RPC over HTTP to provide the same functionality, but without the need for a VPN. Mobile device users (pda/smartphone) are using the excellent Exchange Active Sync.

Mac users (desktop/laptop) have three choices. Mail.app, Entourage or Outlook 2001 running under Classic. Mail.app is a simple mail program that only does mail. It has limited Exchange connectivity. Outlook 2001 is a full PIM client that uses MAPI, but requires Classic and should be considered a no-go. Entourage is a good application, full PIM and uses webDAV with OWA. You point it at OWA (http or https) and off you go. Its not the most streamlined solution, but it works well.

Now, this iPhone. It appears to only support IMAP4 and POP3. Which again, is frankly shite. More so if you are trying to appeal to a wide market. I've no idea what kind of PKI/certificates the device supports and if it'll support IMAP/POP over secure channels.

Basically, buy this phone if you have more money than sense, like showing off pretty gadgets to your mates, or need a consolidating mobile device (mp3/video/phone) that you don't mind being charged over the odds for.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2007, 06:11:54 pm »
Mail.app is a simple mail program that only does mail. It has limited Exchange connectivity.

True, but Address Book and iCal (both also free with Mac OS X) will connect to Exchange servers for public address book access and calendar sharing. Not sure how the solution will handle appointments received via email though (never used it).

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2007, 11:10:58 pm »
True, but Address Book and iCal (both also free with Mac OS X) will connect to Exchange servers for public address book access and calendar sharing. Not sure how the solution will handle appointments received via email though (never used it).

Thought the only support for iCal to sync with Exchange was done via a purchasable bit of software called groupcal. Address Book can access the Global Address List using AddressX, but I'm unsure of the availability for the iPhone version of OSX.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2007, 12:49:58 pm »
Basically, buy this phone if you have more money than sense, like showing off pretty gadgets to your mates, or need a consolidating mobile device (mp3/video/phone) that you don't mind being charged over the odds for.

But isn't that Apple's target audience for all their products?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 7, 2007, 11:02:24 am »

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2007, 07:30:42 pm »
Remember the winning Engadget commercial, "The Long Arm of Steve Jobs"? We posted it after the break, but finding someone who's spent some serious time with a pre-launch iPhone and getting them to talk is basically a lot like that. Still, we managed to smuggle out some freshly leaked details from a very trusted inside source who's been fooling around with a unit. Here's what they had to say:

The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.

The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.

"It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."

The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
In addition to its dock, the iPhone comes packaged with a polishing cloth (the thing's supposedly a fingerprint magnet, no surprise) and the usual smallish power adapter.

The Bluetooth headset will debut in the $120 range, and will come with its own dock for charging both the phone and the headset. The headset will feature a miniature magnetic charging interface á la MagSafe.

The Bluetooth headset has a hidden LED and is supposedly a very small and elegant device. Sound quality is said to be "typical". There is no clip; like many headsets you're expected to just let it hang out of your ear, as previously shown.

The browser "worked well" but page load speeds on EDGE were just as slow as expected. It sounds like 3G users will have a tough run with this.

Users must scroll through the address book (or use the alphabet-drag on the side) -- one cannot bring up the keyboard and type in a name, as many of us are used to.

Shocker: YouTube over EDGE didn't work well at all, and will basically necessitate use of WiFi.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2007, 11:00:19 pm »
sounds cack
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2007, 08:12:08 pm »

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
A negative view

Don't Ignore the iPhone's Wi-Fi Problem

By Tero Kuittinen
RealMoney.com Contributor

* The iPhone's browser speed is awful.
    * The device requires users to have Wi-Fi access.
    * It's not the smartphone that was promised.

You could almost hear the reality-distortion field sizzle and pop as it enveloped the early iPhone reviews in a baby-blue electric haze. Yes, all of the early reviews of Apple's  new device were positive; some even reverent. Yes, they had devastating details carefully buried in last paragraphs.

The doozy was, naturally, the browser speed. It was expected to be bad; it turns out to be hideous. It takes 100 to 120 seconds to load a relatively light, popular front page like Amazon . Drunk on the sheer awesomeness of Steve Jobs, major reviewers regarded this issue as a "foible" or "some flaw."

Held in Thrall

Nobody is surprised. Some time ago, Nokia  launched a notoriously heavy and underpowered smartphone, and the Finnish press duly declared it a paradigm-shifting miracle of electronics. It is possible for a major new Apple product to get slammed in USA Today -- it's just very, very unlikely.

Arguably, three things define the modern smartphone: downloading content, streaming video and browsing the Internet, all via mobile networks. The iPhone will do none of those things. You'll simply have to use Wi-Fi hotspots not only for viewing videos on YouTube, but also for just opening a basic home page like Yahoo!'s.

Now, it's perfectly possible that the iPhone will become a big success simply as a high-end iPod. People may decide to download music and video via their computers and enjoy the best voice mail in the business as well as other great applications offered by the device.

But this product is not a smartphone, and that is what Apple has deliberately marketed over the past months. Apple has not sold the public a high-end iPod or even a Wi-Fi Internet tablet. It has sold the public a smartphone, which can be used to browse the "real Internet." And major U.S. reviews of this device don't seem to think that page-load speeds literally 50 times slower than the iPhone's major smart-phone rivals are worth mentioning on the first page of the review?

Wi-Fi Woes

I'll wager that most consumers aren't prepared to solve the Wi-Fi puzzle; they may not even be aware that it exists. But here goes. If you're at home, why not use your laptop for wireless browsing? It has a bigger screen and more processing power. If you're at work, keep any sharp utensils away from your IT person when you reveal that you intend to tap into the corporate Wi-Fi network with a personal device. If you are at a café, diner, movie theater or a bowling alley, good luck figuring out the Wi-Fi provider and payment angles. Maybe you pay for an hour or two. Or maybe you get a monthly service that works in certain coffee shops. And then you'll need something for hotels and airports, of course.

This is why we have smartphones -- so that people don't have to figure out the Wi-Fi angle. Universal coverage offered by mobile networks is another major reason why consumers have so far regarded Wi-Fi as only a complement for phone infrastructure, not a replacement.

So strong is the spell that Apple has cast over its favored reviewers that none of them really sees any problem with a smartphone that doesn't work as a smartphone. "What's the big deal? Get some Wi-Fi access, dude."

This approach breaks every rule about how smartphones have been reviewed over the past half-decade. Internet access speed has been the cornerstone metric for reviewers and consumers alike, the factor that has tempted operators to spend billions in upgrading their networks and caused phone vendors to revamp their entire product lines to keep up with the chase for speed.

The first U.S. reviewers of the iPhone have not only moved the goalposts; they have suddenly decided to switch the rules of the competition from football to artistic gymnastics. A cool voicemail system is judged more important than a decent mobile browsing speed.

The most psychologically revealing item was the way one noted reviewer described the Edge technology used by iPhone: The expert basically blamed AT&T  for it -- as if anyone had ransomed kittens to force Apple into using outdated technology. Apple could've simply gone with a CDMA operator with an EV-DO upgrade or added a 3G chip to the iPhone. Apple's magic lies in the way it can opt for a dirt-cheap chip that bogs down data speeds in order to boost margins -- and then get phone reviewers to blame AT&T.

It's a nifty trick, but I don't think it will work wonders with the mass market. Once consumers get stung by 100-second load times and then start sweating the Wi-Fi angles, we'll get a real picture of the iPhone appetite.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2007, 08:20:31 pm »
A more positive one

iPhone Can't Lose

By Cody Willard
RealMoney.com Contributor

iPhone

* The integration of Cingular/BellSouth should go a long way toward improving AT&T's currently horrible service.
    * The iPhone should be more functional and easier to use than any phone currently made.

I'm all about "flipping it" and supposedly trying to do exactly opposite of what the mainstream is doing. But I'm being bombarded by requests to join the hyping of the iPhone launch on Friday, with everyone from the old-media world and the new wanting commentary about what it all means and how it will all work.

Well, I feel like Bugs Bunny as I've decided that since I can't beat 'em, I've got to join 'em, especially given that I've personally gone through six smart phones and have tested out and/or trialed just about every high-end handset and major carrier service in the U.S. over the last few years.
Service Call

First, let me just get it out the way -- the AT&T  service is beyond horrible. The ads where the company claims they have the "fewest dropped calls of any wireless carrier" are insulting to those of us who actually suffer through trying to use the so-called "service" they provide.

Frustrated by the lack of smartphone options at Verizon, I recently switched to AT&T, even though I knew how bad their service is in my apartment in rural, er, I mean New York City.

I almost called it rural because the quality of service in my apartment in the middle of an island with an addressable audience for AT&T services of some 10 million people per day is less than the quality of service my parents get from Verizon in Ruidoso, NM, which has more deer per square mile than people.

And that's just the voice-service side of the equation. AT&T's ridiculously outdated EDGE data services, which they promise can run at speeds up to 200 kbps usually works slower than a dial-up connection to Compuserve from Albuquerque, NM, in 1995. Trust me, that was sloooow. The EDGE ain't any faster.

Integration Begins

The good news is that AT&T is finally getting the Cingular/BellSouth acquisitions integrated and rationalized. The debt on the balance sheets, at $55 billion, is nothing to sneeze at, but this company's going to be generating tens of billions of dollars in cash flow over the next 12 months, and they're actively ramping up spending on their wireless-network data technologies.

While I was in Dallas a month ago, I met with several suppliers to Cingular, and all were scrambling to add people to meet the scaling demand for network-building services from AT&T Wireless.

The Evolution of Macintosh

The iPhone itself is going to rock, though. Apple's packaged a great product that will be more functional and easier to use than any phone this world has ever seen. That's because they're building on the Apple software platform that's been developed for consumers for the last 30 years. Don't kid yourself into thinking that the iPhone's a new development. That iPhone, for all the hype of being a "revolutionary" machine, is really just the MacIntosh PC after 30 years of evolution.

As for the "virtual" keyboard and all the hype about whether corporate techies will allow these devices into their networks and so on, I have to tell you that if you're even thinking that will be a topic of discussion in June 2008 or, more to the point, June 2009 after the world has spent two years further developing new hardware and software add-on features to the iPhone platform, then you're completely missing the point.

Apple's going to be rolling out new bigger versions of the iPhone and other smaller versions of the iPhone. Some will be optimized for video, others for music. Some will come with keyboards, others will have keyboard attachments that fit into your wallet in case you want a hard keyboard.

And see, that's really the whole key to why the iPhone is all but guaranteed to be successful. It's a tightly controlled platform that will continue to evolve and be built upon.

Extreme Hype Creates Doubt

Will this particular version of the iPhone live up to the hype? When so much has been promised and hyped by both the company and the general public, it's doubtful. I wouldn't want to bet that this stock will pop further into the very near term. But I don't think there's nearly as much risk about the iPhone as a failure as the mainstream media, or the bears many in the MSM listen to, are promising.

From a very short-term trading perspective, I'd probably look to be long AT&T and short Apple into the actual rollout. That's mostly just a call on the magnitude of hype and the corresponding bullish sentiment relative in those two names right now.

From a longer-term perspective, I sure wouldn't bet against the iPhone platform creating some real virtues for Apple and its shareholders over the next few years.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2007, 08:25:06 pm »
From today's Wall Street Journal

Testing Out the iPhone

We Spend Two Weeks Using Apple's Much-Anticipated Device
To See if It Lives Up to the Hype; In Search of the Comma Key
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG and KATHERINE BOEHRET
June 27, 2007; Page D1

One of the most important trends in personal technology over the past few years has been the evolution of the humble cellphone into a true handheld computer, a device able to replicate many of the key functions of a laptop. But most of these "smart phones" have had lousy software, confusing user interfaces and clumsy music, video and photo playback. And their designers have struggled to balance screen size, keyboard usability and battery life.

WSJ's Walt Mossberg says Apple's widely anticipated iPhone raises the bar for all other smart phones.

Now, Apple Inc., whose digital products are hailed for their design and innovation, is jumping into this smart-phone market with the iPhone, which goes on sale in a few days after months of the most frenzied hype and speculation we have ever seen for a single technology product. Even though the phone's minimum price is a hefty $499, people are already lining up outside Apple stores to be among the first to snag one when they go on sale Friday evening.

We have been testing the iPhone for two weeks, in multiple usage scenarios, in cities across the country. Our verdict is that, despite some flaws and feature omissions, the iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well, though it sometimes adds steps to common functions.

The Apple phone combines intelligent voice calling, and a full-blown iPod, with a beautiful new interface for music and video playback. It offers the best Web browser we have seen on a smart phone, and robust email software. And it synchronizes easily and well with both Windows and Macintosh computers using Apple's iTunes software.

It has the largest and highest-resolution screen of any smart phone we've seen, and the most internal memory by far. Yet it is one of the thinnest smart phones available and offers impressive battery life, better than its key competitors claim.

The phone is thinner than many smart phones.

It feels solid and comfortable in the hand and the way it displays photos, videos and Web pages on its gorgeous screen makes other smart phones look primitive.

The iPhone's most controversial feature, the omission of a physical keyboard in favor of a virtual keyboard on the screen, turned out in our tests to be a nonissue, despite our deep initial skepticism. After five days of use, Walt -- who did most of the testing for this review -- was able to type on it as quickly and accurately as he could on the Palm Treo he has used for years. This was partly because of smart software that corrects typing errors on the fly.

But the iPhone has a major drawback: the cellphone network it uses. It only works with AT&T (formerly Cingular), won't come in models that use Verizon or Sprint and can't use the digital cards (called SIM cards) that would allow it to run on T-Mobile's network. So, the phone can be a poor choice unless you are in areas where AT&T's coverage is good. It does work overseas, but only via an AT&T roaming plan.

In addition, even when you have great AT&T coverage, the iPhone can't run on AT&T's fastest cellular data network. Instead, it uses a pokey network called EDGE, which is far slower than the fastest networks from Verizon or Sprint that power many other smart phones. And the initial iPhone model cannot be upgraded to use the faster networks.

The iPhone compensates by being one of the few smart phones that can also use Wi-Fi wireless networks. When you have access to Wi-Fi, the iPhone flies on the Web. Not only that, but the iPhone automatically switches from EDGE to known Wi-Fi networks when it finds them, and pops up a list of new Wi-Fi networks it encounters as you move. Walt was able to log onto paid Wi-Fi networks at Starbucks and airports, and even used a free Wi-Fi network at Fenway Park in Boston to email pictures taken during a Red Sox game.

But this Wi-Fi capability doesn't fully make up for the lack of a fast cellular data capability, because it is impractical to keep joining and dropping short-range Wi-Fi networks while taking a long walk, or riding in a cab through a city.

AT&T is offering special monthly calling plans for the iPhone, all of which include unlimited Internet and email usage. They range from $60 to $220, depending on the number of voice minutes included. In an unusual twist, iPhone buyers won't choose their plans and activate their phones in the store. Instead, they will do so when they first connect the iPhone to the iTunes software.

Despite its simple interface, with just four rows of colorful icons on a black background, the iPhone has too many features and functions to detail completely in this space. But here's a rundown of the key features, with pros and cons based on our testing.

Hardware: The iPhone is simply beautiful. It is thinner than the skinny Samsung BlackJack, yet almost its entire surface is covered by a huge, vivid 3.5-inch display. There's no physical keyboard, just a single button that takes you to the home screen. The phone is about as long as the Treo 700, the BlackBerry 8800 or the BlackJack, but it's slightly wider than the BlackJack or Treo, and heavier than the BlackBerry and BlackJack.

The display is made of a sturdy glass, not plastic, and while it did pick up smudges, it didn't acquire a single scratch, even though it was tossed into Walt's pocket or briefcase, or Katie's purse, without any protective case or holster. No scratches appeared on the rest of the body either.

There are only three buttons along the edges. On the top, there's one that puts the phone to sleep and wakes it up. And, on the left edge, there's a volume control and a mute switch.

One downside: Some accessories for iPods may not work properly on the iPhone. The headphone jack, which supports both stereo music and phone calls, is deeply recessed, so you may need an adapter for existing headphones. And, while the iPhone uses the standard iPod port on the bottom edge, it doesn't recognize all car adapters for playing music, only for charging. Apple is considering a software update to fix this.

Touch-screen interface: To go through long lists of emails, contacts, or songs, you just "flick" with your finger. To select items, you tap. To enlarge photos, you "pinch" them by placing two fingers on their corners and dragging them in or out. To zoom in on portions of Web pages, you double-tap with your fingers. You cannot use a stylus for any of this. In the Web browser and photo program, if you turn the phone from a vertical to a horizontal position, the image on the screen turns as well and resizes itself to fit.

In general, we found this interface, called "multi-touch," to be effective, practical and fun. But there's no overall search on the iPhone (except Web searching), and no quick way to move to the top or bottom of pages (except in the Web browser). The only aid is an alphabetical scale on the right in tiny type.

There's also no way to cut, copy, or paste text.

And the lack of dedicated hardware buttons for functions like phone, email and contacts means extra taps are needed to start using features. Also, if you are playing music while doing something else, the lack of hardware playback buttons forces you to return to the iPod program to stop the music or change a song.

Keyboard: The virtual keys are large and get larger as you touch them. Software tries to guess what you're typing, and fix errors. Overall, it works. But the error-correction system didn't seem as clever as the one on the BlackBerry, and you have to switch to a different keyboard view to insert a period or comma, which is annoying.

Web browsing: The iPhone is the first smart phone we've tested with a real, computer-grade Web browser, a version of Apple's Safari. It displays entire Web pages, in their real layouts, and allows you to zoom in quickly by either tapping or pinching with your finger. Multiple pages can be open at the same time, and you can conduct Google or Yahoo searches from a built-in search box.

Email: The iPhone can connect with most popular consumer email services, including Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, EarthLink and others. It can also handle corporate email using Microsoft's Exchange system, if your IT department cooperates by enabling a setting on the server.

BlackBerry email services can't be used on an iPhone, but Yahoo Mail supplies free BlackBerry-style "push" email to iPhone users. In our test, this worked fine.

Unlike most phone email software, the iPhone's shows a preview of each message, so you don't have to open it. And, if there is a photo attached, it shows the photo automatically, without requiring you to click on a link to see it. It can also receive and open Microsoft Word and Excel documents and Adobe PDF files. But it doesn't allow you to edit or save these files.

Memory: The $499 base model comes with four gigabytes of memory, and the $599 model has eight gigabytes. That's far more than on any other smart phone, but much less than on full-size iPods. Also, there's no slot for memory-expansion cards. Our test $599 model held 1,325 songs; a dozen videos (including a full-length movie); over 100 photos; and over 100 emails, including some attachments, and still had room left over.

Battery life: Like the iPod, but unlike most cellphones, the iPhone lacks a removable battery. So you can't carry a spare. But its battery life is excellent. In our tests, it got seven hours and 18 minutes of continuous talk time, while the Wi-Fi was on and email was constantly being fetched in the background. That's close to Apple's claim of a maximum of eight hours, and far exceeds the talk time claims of other smart phones, which usually top out at five and a half hours.

The interface features "cover flow" technology for flipping through album covers.

For continuous music playback, again with Wi-Fi on and email being fetched, we got over 22 hours, shy of Apple's claim of up to 24 hours, but still huge. For video playback, under the same conditions, we got just under Apple's claim of seven hours, enough to watch four average-length movies. And, for Web browsing and other Internet functions, including sending and receiving emails, viewing Google maps and YouTube videos, we got over nine hours, well above Apple's claim of up to six hours.

In real life, of course, you will do a mix of these things, so the best gauge might be that, in our two-week test, the iPhone generally lasted all day with a typical mix of tasks.

Phone calls: The phone interface is clean and simple, but takes more taps to reach than on many other smart phones, because there are no dedicated hardware phone buttons. You also cannot just start typing a name or number, but must scroll through a list of favorites, through your recent call list, or your entire contact list. You can also use a virtual keypad.

One great phone feature is called "visual voice mail." It shows you the names or at least the phone numbers of people who have left you voicemail, so you can quickly listen to those you want. It's also very easy to turn the speakerphone on and off, or to establish conference calls.

Voice call quality was good, but not great. In some places, especially in weak coverage areas, there was some muffling or garbling. But most calls were perfectly audible. The iPhone can use Bluetooth wireless headsets and it comes with wired iPod-style earbuds that include a microphone

A downside -- there's no easy way to transfer phone numbers, via AT&T, directly from an existing phone. The iPhone is meant to sync with an address book (and calendar) on a PC.

Contacts and calendars: These are pretty straightforward and work well. The calendar lacks a week view, though a list view helps fill that gap. Contacts can be gathered into groups, but the groups can't be used as email distribution lists.

Syncing: The iPhone syncs with both Macs and Windows PCs using iTunes, which handles not only the transfer of music and video, but also photos, contacts, calendar items and browser bookmarks. In our tests, this worked well, even on a Windows Vista machine using the latest version of Outlook as the source for contacts and appointments.

iPod: The built-in iPod handles music and video perfectly, and has all the features of a regular iPod. But the interface is entirely new. The famed scroll wheel is gone, and instead finger taps and flicking move you through your collection and virtual controls appear on the screen. There's also a version of the "cover flow" interface which allows you to select music by flipping through album covers.

Other features: There are widgets, or small programs, for accessing weather, stock prices and Google Maps, which includes route directions, but no real-time navigation. Another widget allows you to stream videos from YouTube, and yet another serves as a notepad. There's a photo program that displays individual pictures or slideshows.

The only add-on software Apple is allowing will be Web-based programs that must be accessed through the on-board Web browser. The company says these can be made to look just like built-in programs, but the few we tried weren't impressive.

Missing features: The iPhone is missing some features common on some competitors. There's no instant messaging, only standard text messaging. While its two-megapixel camera took excellent pictures in our tests, it can't record video. Its otherwise excellent Web browser can't fully utilize some Web sites, because it doesn't yet support Adobe's Flash technology. Although the phone contains a complete iPod, you can't use your songs as ringtones. There aren't any games, nor is there any way to directly access Apple's iTunes Music Store.

Apple says it plans to add features to the phone over time, via free downloads, and hints that some of these holes may be filled.

Expectations for the iPhone have been so high that it can't possibly meet them all. It isn't for the average person who just wants a cheap, small phone for calling and texting. But, despite its network limitations, the iPhone is a whole new experience and a pleasure to use.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2007, 08:34:55 pm »
It isn't for the average person who just wants a cheap, small phone for calling and texting.

That's all I needed to know...

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2007, 10:12:42 pm »
I've always been sceptical about the iPhone. By the reviews coming out, it does seem to be streets ahead of comparable phones (i.e. phones that do everything else as well as being a phone), so I'm kind of convinced by it.

All I want from a phone is that I can phone people, it's small, and I can sync the numbers with the Mac. Having said that, with a real browser and (ideally) the possibility to write Widgets for it, it could be a very valuable work tool. The problem would be not being able to swap out the SIM into a little phone when I'm not working.

I still can't really see too many business users switching to it, though.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2007, 10:17:27 pm »
I can feel myself getting culted into buying one. My leader says they are good.

Seriously, they look nifty albeit completely more than I would ever need. I'll buy one as soon as they come out, in that case.

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2007, 10:21:40 pm »
Take the iPod bits out and attach them to a 80GB drive and I'd buy one

Otherwise, might wait for the iPhone mini

Offline mightykopite8

• Legacy Fan
  • 18 + 5
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2007, 02:21:23 am »
Take the iPod bits out and attach them to a 80GB drive and I'd buy one

Otherwise, might wait for the iPhone mini

i'll wait for iPhone shuffle....
FUCK OFF MANCS!!!

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:21 am »
I'll be getting one provided they are free/cheap on contract

Will have to see though as some of the facts about it make it sound wank

The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!

There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake.

No A2DP support. That, friends, is such a huge bummer right there.

Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.

On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice.

It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how.

Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).

Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that.

It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?

A rumor is that you will be able to select sections of songs from itunes store and buy them for 89p, this is the only way to get a ringtone you want apparently

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2007, 07:49:21 am »
I'll be getting one provided they are free/cheap on contract

In which case, you won't be getting one.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2007, 07:50:26 am »
In which case, you won't be getting one.

What is the rumored price then?

Even phones costing around 300/400 are usually free or under £100 on contract?