Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 130259 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« on: March 2, 2012, 07:04:47 pm »
http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/comolli-cools-liverpool-transfer-talk

Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli believes this summer's transfer window will be the quietest during Kenny Dalglish's second spell in charge of the club.

Since taking over last January, the Scot has spent big to bring a number of top players to the club. Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez moved to Merseyside for over £55 million in his first month at the club, and seven other new faces followed suit at the end of the season.

After winning the League Cup last weekend, Comolli suggested a number of 'big players' were already in the sights of the Anfield outfit, but the Frenchman has cooled talk of another huge spending spree in 2012

"It is early days. We will probably make some adjustments in the summer but nothing that we've done before," said Comolli.

"We signed nine players since Kenny came back so there will be a few adjustments but nothing massive. We have done the hard work and now it is a question of making some adjustments in certain positions.

"Kenny has said it several times that we have a very competitive squad and all positions are covered by two or three players, quality players, and we have a lot of young players coming through as well."

Comolli was understandably delighted to see the Reds win at Wembley on Sunday, with victory against Cardiff securing the club's return to Europe with months remaining in the season.

But, the former Spurs-man knows there is still plenty for the side to play for this season, with the possibility of a fourth-place finish and return to the Champions League potentially on the cards. A win against Arsenal tomorrow would be a good first step to achieving the goal.

"It is a fantastic statement and also we are back in Europe early in the season. We know it will bring us positive dynamic for the rest of the season," he concluded.

"It is a fantastic way to end February with a trophy already but we know we have a lot to play for until May.

------------

Good! We need to build with what we have IMO

« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 07:32:42 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Owners announce very limited spending over the summer
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »
Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli believes this summer's transfer window will be the quietest during Kenny Dalglish's second spell in charge of the club.

So somehow quieter than the January window that just went by? :p

We don't need much anyway really, just a few changes here and there really, Commolli's statement the other day about the big players believing in our project or something still sounds quite nice, maybe 1 or 2 big name signings? I'll dream.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »
Dont see anything in those quotes referring to budget.

He's talking about turnover of players being lower, not necessarily about the budget.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »

He's talking about turnover of players being lower, not necessarily about the budget.

This.
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2012, 07:09:44 pm »
Wow. These "big names" we've got lined up must be the very biggest and bestest of them all. We're talking in the £10m bracket here. Definitely enough to make up the 25+ points we'll be off the top.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline LS7Leo

• Anny Roader
  • KAWK > RAWK
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
Hunterlaar shouldn't cost too much anyway  ;)
JFT96

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2012, 07:12:15 pm »
Wow. These "big names" we've got lined up must be the very biggest and bestest of them all. We're talking in the £10m bracket here. Definitely enough to make up the 25+ points we'll be off the top.

You'll need a bigger boat if you're going to chum the waters like that Dr

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2012, 07:12:19 pm »
Has to be bollocks. Anyone with eyes can see we definitely need to improve our central midfield and our right wing which is currently non-existent.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
We are still a couple players away from being top 4 quality, we can't just stand still and expect our current players to step up THAT much. If the team stagnates don't expect top 4 as a regular occurance any time soon
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »
Good! We need to build with what we have IMO

Good? If you think half of the youngsters are ready to break into the team, then yes.Because there is nothing to build for from the first team. Wingers are crap, midfield is lacking quality and depth, no clinical striker, etc.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2012, 07:14:22 pm »
"We have lots of players interesting in the project but you can be fucked if you think we are paying over-the-odds for them".
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »
Good? If you think half of the youngsters are ready to break into the team, then yes.

You will never win anything with kids, ever.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »

He's just saying we won't have the same number of players turning over as before. Targetted high value acquisitions in key areas rather than the foundational switch over that we had last summer.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »
Has to be bollocks. Anyone with eyes can see we definitely need to improve our central midfield and our right wing which is currently non-existent.

Add Lucas into the current mix, and factor in Shelvey with another year of experience, we may not be looking at central midfielders. I don't think anyone would be surprised if we part exchange Kuyt for a younger model...

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2012, 07:16:32 pm »

Exactly, he's not even talking budget but the number of personel. I reckon a couple in and a couple out of the first team personally.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 2, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »
Evolution not revolution

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 2, 2012, 07:17:10 pm »
comolli's an lfc owner??

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 2, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »
Add Lucas into the current mix, and factor in Shelvey with another year of experience, we may not be looking at central midfielders. I don't think anyone would be surprised if we part exchange Kuyt for a younger model...
Still light in my opinion mate, what if Lucas doesn't recover from his injury properly? We've seen the same type of injury completely ruin Essien for example.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2012, 07:18:06 pm »
"We have lots of players interested in the project but you can be fucked if you think we are paying over-the-odds for them until we get CL football again".

Altered slightly ;)

Not sure what's really expected? Kenny'll have had a full season, areas to improve and strengthen will have been identified already. Few in, few out. Sounds about right? As long as the quality is going up within the first team squad and we're bringing on the young lads coming through, that's pretty much what we'll need and pretty much all we can do without taking the piss out of the FFP rules.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: March 2, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »
A nothing article, that doesn't say much of anything, outside of 'we're not going to be breaking the bank for players'.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #20 on: March 2, 2012, 07:18:39 pm »
He's just backtracking over his comments last week where he gave every club in Europe permission to fuck him over. Either that or our Damien's schizophrenic.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 2, 2012, 07:19:38 pm »
Makes sense how many players in and out did we have last summer?
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2012, 07:19:39 pm »
Read the article.. It basically says Liverpool fans shouldn't expect another seven summer signings, but did anyone? There's promised 'nothing massive' like seven players, but there are promised 'a few adjustments', which is exactly where Liverpool fans are calling for. Three or four quality players.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #23 on: March 2, 2012, 07:20:31 pm »
Good? If you think half of the youngsters are ready to break into the team, then yes.Because there is nothing to build for from the first team. Wingers are crap, midfield is lacking quality and depth, no clinical striker, etc.

Funny that why would you support a team so bad as this, fishing or trolling dont care stick to singing and wearing weird clothes mate. Mind you which youngsters have you got in mind?

( might keep you occupied for a while?)
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2012, 07:22:09 pm »
"Kenny has said it several times that we have a very competitive squad and all positions are covered by two or three players, quality players, and we have a lot of young players coming through as well."

I think this is very discussable, in fact we need top quality players, not only quality.

If those few adjustments are two top quality players in their physical prime for attack and center midfield then fair enough although one top left back for providing some competition for Enrique wouldn´t be a bad thing either, as well as another winger in order to push Downing but I think that´s cleary off the cards after these statement.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 07:25:11 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »
But Robbie Savage said we need 5 big name signings, how can we cope without?

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: March 2, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »
Funny that why would you support a team so bad as this, fishing or trolling dont care stick to singing and wearing weird clothes mate. Mind you which youngsters have you got in mind?

( might keep you occupied for a while?)

You're quite fond of me, aren't you?

I'm right and you know it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: March 2, 2012, 07:24:39 pm »
OMG we're french owned  :butt

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 2, 2012, 07:24:41 pm »
Bit of a sensationalist thread title there Andy. We do need some top quality signings in the summer though.

Offline Matts

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: March 2, 2012, 07:24:58 pm »
fuck, didn't know comolli owned the club
Opinion, What most want to give, but what most don't want to hear

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 2, 2012, 07:25:40 pm »
F*cking cheapskates.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 2, 2012, 07:26:19 pm »
I think this is very discussable, in fact we need top quality players, not only quality. And if those few adjustments are two top quality players in their physical prime for attack and center midfield than fair enough
although one top left back for providing some competition for Enrique wouldn´t be a bad thing either, as well as another winger in order to push Downing but I think that´s cleary off the cards after these statement.

Why would you want another top LB mate? I dont wanna end up like city, rotating clichy and kolarov each week. I think aurelio is gone in the summer and jack robinson is young, eager and enthusiatic enough to provide competition and keep enrique on his toes. Plus he has lots of potential himself and to be fair i dont have any issues with robinson stepping in for enrique when he isnt available.

Offline main

• united is my team...
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #32 on: March 2, 2012, 07:27:12 pm »
Henry's hand has been bitten twice with poor transfer windows. It shouldn't come much surprise to us to see him reluctant to dish out more money when we aren't spending it wisely. Over £100m for 7th isn't a good investment from their perspective. Here's to hoping our current crop find a vein of form and become their weight in gold.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 2, 2012, 07:28:06 pm »

A starting eleven of

Reina
Johnson
Agger
Skrtel
Enrique
Lucas
Henderson
Bellamy
Gerrard
Suarez
Carroll

You really think that is a team with no potential? Suarez may not be so clinical here, Carroll too, but with their previous clubs they were banging goals in. Lucas is one of the best players in his position in the league. Henderson has improved greatly from a shaky start. The back 5 are the 2nd best in the league. Gerrard and Bellamy, although the wrong side of 30, are still quality players.

So do you really think there is nothing there to build upon?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
Owners announce very limited spending over the summer
« Reply #34 on: March 2, 2012, 07:28:55 pm »
Andy. A friendly bit of advice. Misrepresentative, sensationalist thread titles are a sure way to get your thread locked. Title amended to something is at least close to the article :wave
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #35 on: March 2, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
hmmm ... gimmefootball.com

to be honest, Comolli's said similar things around Oct/Nov last year. That we did most of our spending last season and will only look towards doing minor changes. I don't think we expected the same spending as last season- at least not the sane ones. Come to think of it, even a 40million quid "warchest" would be significantly less than last season's.

It's just another rag getting their's in and adding some spice to it all with comments such as:
"this summer's transfer window will be the quietest.." and observations pulled out of thin air such as Comolli suggesting "a number of big players being in our sights" and "suddenly" cooling off with talk of a "spending spree".

They're like vultures. There's nothing there, but still they want to draw blood from a piece of rock.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 07:33:58 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 2, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »
I don't see how the OP actually reflects on the title?...shite thread, shite source.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 07:32:11 pm by DougLFC94 »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #37 on: March 2, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »
You're quite fond of me, aren't you?

I'm right and you know it.

might be fun to see how long you last mate. Got my list of younger players yet?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 2, 2012, 07:31:24 pm »
Henry's hand has been bitten twice with poor transfer windows. It shouldn't come much surprise to us to see him reluctant to dish out more money when we aren't spending it wisely. Over £100m for 7th isn't a good investment from their perspective. Here's to hoping our current crop find a vein of form and become their weight in gold.

When did the season finish? I thought there was at least 10 games left. Fuck me. Kenny out  :no
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #39 on: March 2, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »

Right little ray of sunshine, aren't we!?