Author Topic: District 9  (Read 18213 times)

Offline USgooner

• Liverpool Red.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: District 9
« Reply #80 on: September 6, 2009, 06:10:28 pm »
Hubby and I watched this last night. Didn't really know a right lot about it myself beforehand and 5 mins or so in I was thinking what the fuck is this???? By the end I absolutely loved it and can't stop thinking about it.

I used to really like V and Alien Nation and it reminded me of the latter a bit. I've heard a rumour of a sequel? if it's true..........bring it on!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/aug/26/district-9-sequel

"I would totally make a sequel," he told scifimoviepage.com. "I've got an inclination but it's not really fleshed out yet. Now that it's done well, I think it would be cool. The studio have definitely said they want one, it's just a question of what the hell it is."

I really hope they do it.

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 6, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »
Saw it this evening.

Good film. Reminded me alot of 'Starship Troopers'.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 6, 2009, 11:20:26 pm »
He shot a pig at a guy! A fucking pig!

The most fun I've had with a film for a long time, incredible movie.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #83 on: September 6, 2009, 11:26:31 pm »
Brilliant, saw it earlier. I loved it... and then the Alien Guns came into the plot. I haven't marked out like that watching a film in a cinema since the opening attack scene in War of the Worlds.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #84 on: September 6, 2009, 11:42:59 pm »
I was overly hyped about this movie, been looking forward to it all year... it did not disappoint :D

Can't believe that was his first professional acting job, going to be a star for sure.
:D

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 6, 2009, 11:52:47 pm »
really enjoyed this film, definately worth a trip to the cinema!

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 6, 2009, 11:53:14 pm »
Trying to blag my bird into watching it tonight.

i fell asleep, gutted.

Will try an catch it sometime in the week.

Really lookin' forward to it, some good feedback on here!
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #87 on: September 7, 2009, 01:53:50 am »
Watched it again earlier, that's 4 times now.

It's so perfectly set up for a sequel, and usually I'd be dead against that, but the premise for the follow up is there for all to see at the end.

Spoiler

I mean, Christopher promises that he'll return in 3 years to help him, so there's your beginning right there.

[close]

Absolutely brilliant movie though, from start to finish. Effects are flawless throughout, you're never sure whether you're looking at CGI or a guy in a mask when seeing close-ups of the 'prawns'.

It's definitely a little wake-up call for Hollywood and the way they make sci-fi movies of this genre. There's not really a happy ending as such, there's no big star, there's no heroic dude who can't be injured, there's no funny sidekick element, the pacing is terrific, America doesn't save the day... I could go on.

Can't wait to have this on Blu-ray.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 7, 2009, 02:08:14 am »
awesome film, just watched the r5, totally top notch. For me, best film of the year sofar, easy. after 20 mins in I was totally gripped by the movie.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 7, 2009, 02:33:07 am »
Saw the dvd rip great film could watch it over and over again probaly wont be able to watch anything else for a while everything will be measured against this. Love how they set up a possible sequel your so eager to see what happens next but even if their wasn't a sequal its upto your imgination what happend after.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 7, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
Just aquired a copy of this on disc, supposed to be a good copy.

Will be watching tonight  :wave
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #91 on: September 7, 2009, 02:32:08 pm »

red_makr1980 there's a lot of south africans that do speak like that - mostly Afrikaans speaking South Africans.

Cool - I could go and swear like a local.
Cheers mate

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 7, 2009, 07:53:42 pm »
Boss film. Great combination of intelligence, wit and high-tech alien splatter-fest.

Best sci-fi film since the Iron Giant, imo.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 7, 2009, 09:37:50 pm »
Just finished watching it now.

Enjoyed it!!

Have to admit, i didn't have a fucking clue exactly how it was going to end either which is good, hate films where you can work out the ending 1/2 way through.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #94 on: September 7, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »
watched the R5 last night, great movie, i got into it straight away, facts and thing being presented in the movie. it blew me away, i wasnt actually expecting something like this. well done to the saffas. waiting for the inevitable earth annihilation in part 2 :)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 7, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »
Hopefully no american bastards come in to save the day like they do in almost every single other alien flick.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 7, 2009, 11:42:45 pm »
Just watched it myself - thought it was absolutely superb.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 8, 2009, 12:06:42 am »
I loved it. Great mix of smart, poignant, exciting, funny. The political subtext is there without being overbearing or heavy handed, it's just part of the world of the film. It's emotionally resonant in several ways; Wikus' overall transformation shows a very impressive range, and he pulls it off so well, can't believe this is his debut!. The bond he forms with Christopher, and the connection with his wife. And of course the designs, effects, and action are all awesome. And the gore. So many exploding people, plus Wikus' grotesque Brundle-esque transformation.

I thought it was very interesting that Wikus was basically a horrible, horrible person for most of the film, his gleeful laughing at the Prawn babies "popping like popcorn" was disturbing. He fucks Christopher over on 2 occasions, there's no way a big Hollywood star could play that role. I like how he earns his humanity the less human he becomes.

There were so many little things I loved about the film, it reminded me of Children of Men in the quality of its world building and the approach it takes, it presents you with what you need to know, or enough to speculate about, without spoon feeding everything to you.

Even just little things like the HUD in the mechsuit, there's never a gratuitous shot of it or exposition heavy bits about him figuring out how to use it, but you can just make it out enough in those interior shots to get an idea of how it works (and what I loved about it was that it was showing where all the bullets were impacting). Things like that aren't important to the overall plot or the characters but it's indicative of the attention to detail and how fully realized and well thought out it feels.

The design of the prawns is remarkable, it's so weird and alien and can elicit fear and disgust but also how emotive it can be. With Christopher in particular a lot of it was in his eyes, there were a couple really moving shots that expressed so much sadness with his eyes and the muscles in his face. Amazing that they pulled it off without any practical effects, what an achievement that is.

The movie has the right mix of the intelligence and drama on one hand but also pure visceral excitement and fun on the other. So it's thought provoking and moving and everything but you also get 'bullet balls', crazy electro/soundwave weapons, people exploding into gooey chunks, pigs being launched at them (fucking pigs!!!) and the "badass" moments like when he picks up the pulse rifle the first time or catches the rocket, and the villains have really satisfying, violent deaths - especially the insane warlord getting dispatched by super powered alien taser-head-exploder thing.

Only a couple of nitpicks I can think of, like the contrivance of the spaceship fuel and mutagen being the same thing and the bad guys were very one dimensional, but it doesn't take anything away from the film.

Really been spoiled past few weeks, Basterds, Hurt Locker and now this. They could easily be my top three at the end of the year.

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 8, 2009, 10:53:17 am »
Saw it this evening.

Good film. Reminded me alot of 'Starship Troopers'.

Went to see it with the Mrs last night & that's what she said.

First 10 mins I was a bit unsure but I soon got into it, but she did piss herself laughing most of the way through. This was mainly down to Wikus sounding a bit like a South African/Scouse/Brummy everytime he said fuck, which was a lot...

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 8, 2009, 12:18:09 pm »
I loved it. Great mix of smart, poignant, exciting, funny. The political subtext is there without being overbearing or heavy handed, it's just part of the world of the film. It's emotionally resonant in several ways; Wikus' overall transformation shows a very impressive range, and he pulls it off so well, can't believe this is his debut!. The bond he forms with Christopher, and the connection with his wife. And of course the designs, effects, and action are all awesome. And the gore. So many exploding people, plus Wikus' grotesque Brundle-esque transformation.

I thought it was very interesting that Wikus was basically a horrible, horrible person for most of the film, his gleeful laughing at the Prawn babies "popping like popcorn" was disturbing. He fucks Christopher over on 2 occasions, there's no way a big Hollywood star could play that role. I like how he earns his humanity the less human he becomes.

There were so many little things I loved about the film, it reminded me of Children of Men in the quality of its world building and the approach it takes, it presents you with what you need to know, or enough to speculate about, without spoon feeding everything to you.

Even just little things like the HUD in the mechsuit, there's never a gratuitous shot of it or exposition heavy bits about him figuring out how to use it, but you can just make it out enough in those interior shots to get an idea of how it works (and what I loved about it was that it was showing where all the bullets were impacting). Things like that aren't important to the overall plot or the characters but it's indicative of the attention to detail and how fully realized and well thought out it feels.

The design of the prawns is remarkable, it's so weird and alien and can elicit fear and disgust but also how emotive it can be. With Christopher in particular a lot of it was in his eyes, there were a couple really moving shots that expressed so much sadness with his eyes and the muscles in his face. Amazing that they pulled it off without any practical effects, what an achievement that is.

The movie has the right mix of the intelligence and drama on one hand but also pure visceral excitement and fun on the other. So it's thought provoking and moving and everything but you also get 'bullet balls', crazy electro/soundwave weapons, people exploding into gooey chunks, pigs being launched at them (fucking pigs!!!) and the "badass" moments like when he picks up the pulse rifle the first time or catches the rocket, and the villains have really satisfying, violent deaths - especially the insane warlord getting dispatched by super powered alien taser-head-exploder thing.

Only a couple of nitpicks I can think of, like the contrivance of the spaceship fuel and mutagen being the same thing and the bad guys were very one dimensional, but it doesn't take anything away from the film.

Really been spoiled past few weeks, Basterds, Hurt Locker and now this. They could easily be my top three at the end of the year.

great review, despite them being aliens you had feel for the way they were treated. Wikus was a twat most of the way through the movie.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 8, 2009, 01:30:38 pm »
great review, despite them being aliens you had feel for the way they were treated. Wikus was a twat most of the way through the movie.

Cheers! Yeah, they really make sure you hate the bad guys in this, I was surprised by how angry/disgusted I felt when they brought out the Prawn with a big X on his back in the lab. I think Copley's performance really helped sell how fucked it up it is.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #101 on: September 8, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »
Going to go watch this after reading the reviews on this thread.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #102 on: September 8, 2009, 02:59:57 pm »
Brilliant movie
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 8, 2009, 03:31:34 pm »
Finally got round to seeing this, thought it was bloody brilliant from start to finish, and one of the better sci-fi films of recent time.

I couldn't help but think about Avatar after viewing it, and how you could summarize both District 9 and Avatar in 3 words, if you wanted to get right down to it; guy helps aliens.

One thing I felt watching this was that the focus was more on the characters and the relationship formed between Christopher and Wikus and his transformation; not just the literal body stuff, but how he goes from being this c*nt at the start, joking about abortions and the like, to basically be willing to die to save this alien and his child, as opposed to the special effects (which were fucking brilliant) and having seen a bit of Avatar, you just hope there's the same level of depth in the storytelling, and the characters themselves, instead of the primary focus being OH MY GOD ITS IN 3D AND ITS ALIEN AND WAAAAA.

Anyway, hope there's a sequel. Would love to see Christopher come back with the mothership, try cure Wikus, if it's even possible.

Also, what were those things spray-painted or whatever on their heads? Was that their names or some sort of identification for the humans?
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #104 on: September 8, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
Also, what were those things spray-painted or whatever on their heads? Was that their names or some sort of identification for the humans?
It said "Property of MNU" I think, not sure if there was any more to it.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #105 on: September 8, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »
and having seen a bit of Avatar, you just hope there's the same level of depth in the storytelling, and the characters themselves, instead of the primary focus being OH MY GOD ITS IN 3D AND ITS ALIEN AND WAAAAA.
Avatar looks like a steaming turd but obviously I'll wait until I've seen it before slaying Cameron.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #106 on: September 8, 2009, 09:56:23 pm »
Really enjoyed that. Great film.

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 8, 2009, 10:09:41 pm »
Loved it, great film, and it's amazing how the aliens just seemed 'human'!!!!!!!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #108 on: September 9, 2009, 03:24:48 am »
Cheers! Yeah, they really make sure you hate the bad guys in this, I was surprised by how angry/disgusted I felt when they brought out the Prawn with a big X on his back in the lab. I think Copley's performance really helped sell how fucked it up it is.

I was personally hoping that c*nt of a Seth Affrikaan colonel got eaten by the Prawns midway through the movie
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #109 on: September 9, 2009, 05:12:27 pm »
In the voice of Wikus

"Fookin shoite film"

He said fookin like Frank Gallagher from Shameless.

Overall, shoite film. Who uses aliens to demonstrate a social issue that is the biggest in South Africa ? Silly.

Prawns as aliens who managed to get to earth but the ship has no propulsion power yet can stay suspended above the city for 20 years.

Silly kiddy appeal for relationship between daddy and baby prawn but no kids can watch the film given the bloody-gorey violence making it a 15's.

Tepid love angle with the wife and the sad gesture at the end with the rose made from rubbish.

I could go on but my head hurts and I lost 9.35 of my money to watch it in the cinema :(

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #110 on: September 9, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
In the voice of Wikus

"Fookin shoite film"

Overall, shoite film. Who uses aliens to demonstrate a social issue that is the biggest in South Africa ? Silly.

Prawns as aliens who managed to get to earth but the ship has no propulsion power yet can stay suspended above the city for 20 years.

Silly kiddy appeal for relationship between daddy and baby prawn but no kids can watch the film given the bloody-gorey violence making it a 15's.

Tepid love angle with the wife and the sad gesture at the end with the rose made from rubbish.

I could go on but my head hurts and I lost 9.35 of my money to watch it in the cinema :(

Fish much?
:D

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #111 on: September 9, 2009, 05:54:55 pm »
Fish much?

Never mind about his fishing... he's paying £9.35 in the cinema, does some bird come in halfway through and give his little tiddler a little tickle?

If not the guy is getting ripped off at the pictures

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #112 on: September 9, 2009, 06:43:40 pm »
Quite enjoyed it. Looks like it's set up for a sequel

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 9, 2009, 06:47:36 pm »
In the voice of Wikus

"Fookin shoite film"

what fucking cinema do u go? at that price u shud have gone on a wednesday!

oh and nice fishing.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: September 9, 2009, 07:24:24 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Anyone notice the pictures on the mirror?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #115 on: September 9, 2009, 07:37:56 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Anyone notice the pictures on the mirror?

No, good spot sir and also
Spoiler
Does the card say "For my Girlfriend"
[close]

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 9, 2009, 07:51:26 pm »
Yup, one would think Wikus could wait three years but she couldn't! ;D

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #117 on: September 9, 2009, 09:38:20 pm »
Apologies people, I live in Ireland so 9.35 was euro.

Whats the rate in England and sterling ?

Pity my todger wasnt tickled though ;)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #118 on: September 9, 2009, 09:55:18 pm »
Excellent film.

Come South Africa next summer, Rooney may well be taken into District 9 if he's not careful mind.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #119 on: September 9, 2009, 09:58:22 pm »
Apologies people, I live in Ireland so 9.35 was euro.
Whats the rate in England and sterling ?

Pity my todger wasnt tickled though ;)

about 1.1 isn't it. It's still fuggin expensive mate!