Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (Goodison vs Everton - 24/03 - 13:00 ko) (*)  (Read 592478 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 02:43:07 pm »
Carly's back.....but alas not with good news :(

Lincoln 4 (2) v Liverpool 2 (2)

Two preventable set piece goals meant Liverpool left Sincil Bank with nothing after a highly entertaining game in front of the ESPN cameras.

Despite first half goals from Katie Brusell and Nicky Twohig, Robbie Johnson's side were unable to build on last week's first WSL victory as they were twiced denied by the woodwork in a 4-2 defeat to Lincoln.

The cagey opening to the game replicated the even nature of the reverse fixture at Skelmersdale in May, which Lincoln won thanks to a late Lucy Staniforth goal.

The first chance was created by Liverpool captain Vicky Jones, whose cross was spilled by Imps goalkeeper Nicola Hobbs. Kelly Jones was first to latch onto the loose ball, but despite getting plenty of power behind her shot, Hobbs was able to block.

In terms of possession, the Reds were firmly on top, and they made that advantage count after 13 minutes. Chloe Jones swung a probing free kick towards the back post, where Twohig rose highest and was able to guide her header into the unguarded net.

Neat play between Sue Smith and Jess Clarke created the home side's first half chance midway through the first period, but Reds goalkeeper Dani Gibbons was more than equal to Clarke's cross.

Gibbons was more severely tested a minute later, but a fine double save saw her first deny Jodie Taylor from close range, then stop Clarke's angled drive, which was heading for the bottom corner.

Another Chloe Jones delivery caused chaos in the Lincoln box on the half hour. Hobbs again failed to gather, and Emma Jones saw her hooked shot cleared off the line. Suzanne Lappin then set up Nicki Harding, whose 18 yard drive cannoned back off the crossbar.

Lincoln immediately capitalised on their lucky break as a Sue Smith corner beat everyone and nestled in the Liverpool net. One of either Leandra Little or Vicky Jones may have got the final touch, but the goal was credited to England winger Smith.

The visiting captain needed treatment after the goal, but thankfully was back on her feet within minutes.

Another Smith corner then caused more problems for Liverpool. A deeper delivery found Little, whose header back into the danger zone caused panic until the referee adjudged that Gibbons was being fouled as she tried to claim the ball.

Both teams could have then taken the lead after 39 minutes, as the game became more stretched. First, Lynda Shepherd came close to restoring Liverpool's advantage when she fired just over from 20 yards.

Lincoln then counter-attacked and Smith, who was proving a constant menace, floated over a cross that Clarke headed over.

That was only a temporary restbite for the Reds though, as they fell behind on 40 minutes. A corner from the left was half cleared as far as Little, and when her shot was blocked on the line by Vicky Jones, England vice-captain Casey Stoney was at hand to turn home the rebound.

That lead lasted all of two minutes as an entertaining first half took yet another twist. Harding dispossessed her marker before driving forward and laying the ball off to Brusell.

With plenty still to do, Brusell outpaced two Imps defenders before hitting a shot that found Hobbs' top corner, possibly via a deflection - Brusell's first WSL goal.

The home side could still have taken a lead into the break had Taylor's close range header from Clarke's looping cross not dropped the other side of the post, but as it was, a dramatic first 45 minutes ended all square.

Half Time: Lincoln 2-2 Liverpool

As with the first half, the second 45 minutes started in scrappy fashion, but when the first chance arrived, it was for the home side.

Taylor was clean through down the right flank, but instead of shooting she chose to square the ball to the onrushing Smith. However, Sam Chappell just got enough on the ball to put Smith off, and the experienced winger lifted her shot over the bar.

Cheryl Foster then replaced Harding for the Reds, but Lincoln kept up their early momentum. Smith and Clarke again proved the main threats as a move ended with Staniforth firing at Gibbons. Twohig then had to be alert to deny Smith with a perfectly timed sliding tackle, before a Smith corner proved Liverpool's downfall again.

This time she floated her delivery into the near post, and a jumping Vicky Jones could only head into her own net via the underside of the bar.
On the hour, Chloe Jones made way for Michelle Evans, and, after taking over set piece duties, Evans caught Hobbs out with an inswinging corner that the goalkeeper managed to gather at the second attempt.

However, Lincoln were still on top and Clarke's trickery almost created a fourth goal midway through the half. She beat Vicky Jones on the right wing before firing in a low cross that was cleared over the bar - and over the stand - by Evans.

Gibbons then had to be brave to deny the home side again, as she just beat Megan Harris to claim a Clarke knock-down in the six yard box.

On 76 minutes, Lincoln did extend their advantage. Staniforth's low cross was met by a diving Little, and when her header struck the foot of the post, Clarke was able to turn in the rebound and claim the goal that her performance meritted.

Liverpool almost responded immediately through more hesistant goalkeeping by Hobbs. Evans' free kick evaded the keeper's gloves and bounced just wide of the far post.

Kelly Jones' close range effort was then deflected over as the Reds pushed for a deficit-halving third, and they were incredibly unfortunate not to get it with ten minutes remaining.

Evans managed to hook a half volley goalwards, but her shot hit the bar and bounced down onto the line, with Brusell's follow up being cleared.

Gibbons then saved from Little and Smith as Lincoln were able to expose the gaps in the Reds defence with the clock ticking down.

Substitute Gemma Watson, Brusell and Twohig all had half chances for Liverpool as the game entered stoppage time, but they finished on the losing side as the Imps were able to close the game out and pick up their second triumph over Liverpool this season.

Liverpool remain bottom going into the season's final fixture - a home tie with title-chasing Arsenal.

Full Time: Lincoln 4-2 Liverpool

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:45:39 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:27 pm »
Waiting for a match report / account of the day / pics from lincoln_red, who (in case you missed it) has two daughters and was asked if he would allow his daughters to be the team's mascot yesterday. Sounds like a thoroughly bloody nice bloke to me. :wave

In other news, I'm trying to arrange an interview with Robbie and Vicky for RAWK. Given there's only one game of the season left, against the (arguably) undisputed champions of women's footie, Arsenal, I think I'll pitch it as an end-of-season-review-looking-ahead kind of thing.

More as it happens.

Oh and I'll post details of the Arsenal game here when I get around to it and nearer to the time. Get along and support if you can :wave

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »
Final match of the season for LLFC - hosting Arsenal, who are two points behind Birmingham with this presumably being their game in hand, so it should be an interesting match.

Sunday August 28th at 14:00, to be played at Skem United. Tickets £4.50, under 16s get in free.

"Where's Skem United??!!" - Here..... http://www.liverpoolladiesfc.com/gettingToGround/2614694.html

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »
Get on this:

Some people ask things like, "What is the future for women's football?"

Well, one possible future, at least for Liverpool Ladies FC, is called Stella Rogers and she's 8 :scarf

Read her photo diary here - http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=279807 - thanks to Paul R for posting the original.

Offline lincolnred-dad

• ok i'm an arse. a big fat arse.
  • Kopite
  • It's my bloody fence and I'm sitting on it!
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2011, 09:09:00 am »
First of all an apology for my tardiness in getting this here, but due to some issues on the weekend i wasn't able to get time to do this and on the Monday we went to Wales on hols so just got back really.

First things first. the whole experience was brilliant and for that i have to thank both Liverpool Ladies FC and 24/7 for making it happen in the way it did, and maybe to some degree that may have clouded my judgement on the day.

the pre match stuff was pretty simple for my girls, we told the people organising it who we were and everything and they didn't really know that Liverpool were having mascots, plus Lincoln only had one mascot in a FAWSL top, and my girls were in their Liverpool tops (first blood Liverpool). the captain, Vicky Jones, was very good with my girls and led them to all the things they were doing, we were just expecting the walk out and line up bit, but they also went to the centre circle for the toss and had a team photo as well which i had emailed to me while i was away (having trouble posting the picture as it's too big, any ideas?)

i was unsure of what to expect of the game beforehand as i knew that both teams had struggled at times this season, but also that both teams were coming into the game on the back of good wins. so all in all i was expecting a slightly cagy affair, with maybe some attrition and a predicted low score, or even a draw.
Boy was i wrong.
right from the start it felt as though there was a good tempo to the game, and although both teams took time to settle into the game there was a clear emphasis on attacking play from both sides. As stated in the match report Liverpool were the quickest to settle and deserved their lead which came after the Lincoln keeper failed to claim the free kick and left the goal open. This had been coming for a while and the keeper had shown some vulnerability to crosses previously, and also throughout the rest of the game at times. the goal seemed to spark Lincoln back into life and it was clear what their game-plan was, get the ball to Sue Smith on the left and let her run at the players and turn them for crosses, which she had varied success with but was always a threat, and it was no great surprise that Lincolns response came from her. with a corner on Lincolns right hand side, and with Liverpools taller players marking in the box, Smith whipped in a ball with her left foot that beat everyone and found its way over the head of an unfortunate V. Jones and into the net. Whether it was a cross to the back post or an aimed shot i don't know, but it had the precision and placement that any player in the premier league would give a left nad for. and to be honest Smith was the difference for Lincoln the whole game, everything seemed to be geared towards her and using her skill to the best advantage (as you would) and she remained a constant threat to Liverpool. That's not to say that Liverpool were being outplayed, indeed throughout the game they gave as good as they got and created some great chances that they were unlucky not to score from.

i wont go into detail about the rest of the match as it's all there in the report from earlier, but i will say this, it was a very good game, and Liverpool played very well regardless of the score. They had numerous chances that either just went wide/over or hit the woodwork (i think i counted 3 occasions including a very good effort late in the game that shoot the crossbar) and could have a good highlight reel from their performance, and Lincoln didn't seem to create as many chances or test the goal as much as Liverpool. I know that might seem odd given the score, but apart from some goal-mouth scrambling that lead to good close range shot stopping from Gibbons, the goals were the only real chances, again it seems daft saying that as they scored 4 times, but when you consider that 2 of those were direct from corners it's not unfair to say Liverpool could feel hard done by.

and again, going back to what i said earlier, it was the quality of Sue Smith for Lincoln that made the difference. she had the vision and precision to score twice from corners, 1 far post, 1 near post, and take advantage of the fact that Liverpools main height was preoccupied in the box with other players and the posts were left to the more unfortunate, slightly smaller players. It was something i talked briefly with Robbie about after the game in between his interviews, and he told me how he had tried to sign some of the players that were playing against them for Lincoln, before the season started but had been unsuccessful. And that the teams, in my opinion, were very evenly matched and it was only the quality of 1 or 2 players that stood Lincoln apart (in-fact Lincoln this week have had 3 players called into the England squad, while Liverpool have no England players).

so what did i get from the game? well it was very enjoyable, fast paced, hard tackling, at times no nonsense, skilful, at times comical (sometimes the keepers just aren't "crazy" enough for your normal keeper) recommended and something that i would urge everyone to go and see for themselves before they pass judgement on the state of womens football.

Looking back on the day now some time has passed and I've put this in writing, do i think that the fact my girls were involved has rose tinted my view of my experience? well i guess the only way to answer that would be to ask would i still have enjoyed the day if i had paid for my tickets and the girls not been involved? and the honest answer to that is NO.

but for no other reason than Liverpool lost.

Go watch them play yourself, and if you can't do it tomorrow when they play Arsenal (arguably the Barcelona of the womens game) then do it as soon as you can. I know I'll be taking my girls to see some of Lincolns games in future, but we'll always be cheering on Liverpool when they come to town.
If Tevez signs I will be the first man in history to run from Sydney to Melbourne in complete and utter nudity  :D

Offline lincolnred-dad

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2011, 09:16:05 am »

think this works
If Tevez signs I will be the first man in history to run from Sydney to Melbourne in complete and utter nudity  :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:36 pm »
Nice one Si - I bet that 2nd pic takes pride of place on your girls' wall or is it in the living room, displayed by Proud Parents? :D Glad it went okay, pity it wasn't a win, but wins were precious few this season. Here's hoping next season ends on a more positive note for LLFC than the match report shows - even though they were up against tough opponents. Have a read, look at the video, decide for yourself if it was a penno ;)

Oh and that Rachel Yankey has always been a star - wish she played for us......

Arsenal defeat Reds to claim title     

(video can be watched here - http://www.liverpoolladiesfc.com/matchesReport/liverpool_v_arsenal_28_august_2011_report.html )

Sunday 28 August 2011

In the final WSL game of the campaign, two Rachel Yankey goals condemned Liverpool to defeat against an Arsenal team that were crowned champions after the final whistle.

The Gunners travelled north knowing that a win would see them clinch the inaugural WSL title, while Robbie Johnson's Liverpool went into the game trying to register a first home win of the season, knowing a point could move them off the bottom of the table.

For Liverpool, captain Vicky Jones moved up into a defensive midfield role, while Katie Brusell started the advanced position of the 4-2-3-1 formation.

The Gunners line-up featured a plethora of current and ex-England internationals, but seemed to start nervously as the home side went toe-to-toe with Laura Harvey's team in the opening minutes.

In fact, the first effort on goal came from Liverpool, but Michelle Evans' free kick sailed harmlessly over Emma Byrne's crossbar.

However, a matter of seconds later, Arsenal took one step towards the title courtesy of a great move between Yankey and Danielle Carter.

Yankey fed Carter and continued her run down the left hand side. Carter was then able to pick out her team-mate with a perfect through ball and Yankey did the rest with a low finish that beat Danielle Gibbons at the near post.

Brusell had Liverpool's best moment midway through the first half, when she got the better of Faye White and drove into the area. However, she seemed to be caught in two minds and her cross shot went wide.

Yankey then could have doubled her tally twice in two minutes, first with a dipping effort that went inches over, and secondly when Carter broke down the right hand side, her cross arrived at Yankey at an awkward height and her sliced volley went high and wide.

The England winger wasn't to be denied though, and put the would-be champions 2-0 up after 36 minutes.

Ellen White did well down the right flank before sending in a cross that Yankey was able to convert past Gibbons.

Jayne Ludlow could have made it three just before half time, but her shot was smothered by Gibbons at close range.

Half time: Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal

Yankey had a chance to complete her hat-trick just minutes into the second half, but she failed to get her head onto Niamh Fahey's inviting cross from the right.

With an hour gone, Liverpool ensured that Arsenal weren't going to have it all their own way by pulling a goal back in strange circumstances.

Evans floated in a deep free-kick, and, with Nicky Twohig up challenging, Faye White and Byrne collided with each other, causing the goalkeeper to spill the ball. Brusell was then on hand to finish into the empty from eight yards out.

Despite seeing their lead halved, Arsenal kept pushing for a title-clinching third, and almost got it when first, Carter struck a shot wide then Ellen White headed Yankey's cross into the side netting.

When the third did come, it was all of Liverpool's own making. The otherwise impressive Emma Jones lost the ball to Ellen White in a dangerous area before pulling the England striker back on the byline to concede a penalty.

Kim Little stepped up and made no mistake from the spot, drilling powerfully into the roof of the net.

From then, the momentum was all with the Gunners and both Ellen White and substitute Steph Houghton both came close to adding a fourth.

As it was though, three was enough to secure a victory and top spot, with Arsenal amd England captain Faye White lifting the trophy on the Skelmersdale pitch after the game.

The result means that Liverpool finish bottom of the league, having claimed just a single win throughout the season. The two teams will meet again next Sunday in the quarter-final of the Continental Cup.

Full time: Liverpool 1-3 Arsenal

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:18:37 pm by 24/7 »

Offline lincolnred-dad

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »
one of the things i got out of the season that i didn't put in my bit earlier was that Liverpools participation in the WSL will only make them better (thats not a way of me saying they're crap and can't get worse) they have no internationals and have only just been promoted to the 'big time' as it were. i thought of them a bit like Wolves in the prem last year, they have some good players, but if they were playing the top 6 teams every week they'd struggle too.
A year in tough competition getting used to it, some good buys when you can, and be better prepared for next years effort. I'm not saying they'll do brilliantly next year, they may even finish bottom then! but they will get better and better.

the important thing is that people show that they are supporting them so they feel it is worthwhile them being in the WSL, and that they have the backing. otherwise they might just decide to drop out of it, stick to the regular league and find themselves in no-mans land from a club standpoint, able to stay in the normal league but haven't got the support to challenge the big time again.

Offline yslee

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »
The women's game really needs more publicity. Right now it has a very grassroots feel to it; as someone overseas I had trouble watching the Women's World Cup, nevermind the WSL.

The few games I managed to catch, I think the women's game is about 30 years behind the men's game in some aspects; not bad considering top flight men's football has been around since the late 19th century! And if you let go of the notion of what top-level football *should* be, and view it as two teams duking it out, it's actually quite entertaining. For one, there is a lot less theatrics from the ladies, and a greater will to win overall. England Men's should be ashamed in that aspect. :P

Anyway, thanks for posting. Hope to see more in the future!

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:05 pm »
[

The womens game has suffered over the years because it has been starved of investment, decent coaches and training facilities.

It bugs me no end when I read of people criticising the womens game when they are using the mens game as a comparison as to how good the game should be.  There is no way the womens game can compare to that.

It is a bit ironic when you consider the recent history of football in this country.

Go back to the early 1900's and you had hundreds of thousands of fans turning up to watch the womens game, and even the ladies international games were really popular.

Unfortunately the FA, that male bastion of all that is right and proper in the game didnt like the idea that women were better at, and more popular than the male game, and banned womens football outright.  It stayed banned for nigh on 50yrs, during which time the mens game benefited from huge investment, better training and facilities and a higher profile generally.

Considering all of that it is good to see that the womens game is now getting a bit of attention and being taken more seriously.

"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 06:52:56 am »
montysmum - thank you for saying that - I'd been itching to say it but am aware that I am in danger of being somewhat evangelical about the women's game ;)

oojason - thank you for posting that - the intention of this thread is that it should become self-perpetuating with other regular posters, not just some soupnazi with a fixation ;) ;)

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 04:13:32 pm »
Yep, I'm with montysmum on this one. Just imagine what the women's game would be like if they hadn't banned it. Hope it can reach such heights again and people stop ridiculing it :)

Good thread - makes it just that wee bit easier to keep up with what's going on. It's been interesting to see the development in recent years and hopefully Liverpool Ladies can become a force in the women's game.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 05:37:46 pm »
Before reading this thread I'd no idea there was an actual ban put in place by The FA on women's football - I'd lazily and incorrectly assumed it had just withered out over time.

Found this interesting piece on wiki - it also has the structure of the various levels (regional to the WSL) in the women's game:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_football_in_England
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 4, 2011, 01:55:13 pm »
More from the official site:

31 August 2011
Liverpool must raise standards   
  • Kelly Jones height=336

Liverpool Ladies must raise their standards on and off the pitch if they are to improve next season, according to midfielder Kelly Jones

The Reds ended the inaugural Women's Super League season on Sunday bottom of the division.

"We've got to raise our standard as everyone else has raised theirs," Jones told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"We have to be disappointed where we finished. We've got to be organised and more prepared."

The 23-year-old added: "There were a couple of games where we'd count ourselves unlucky not to have got the points, but if you concede late goals, do you deserve to get the points in the first place?"  Liverpool ended their WSL campaign with a 3-1 defeat by Arsenal on Sunday, which gifted the league crown to the Gunners.

Jones and her team face the champions again this Sunday in the Continental Cup, and the midfielder is hoping for an upset.

"Arsenal are going to go into the cup as favourites but it's a cup game and anything can happen," Jones continued.

"On the day we're just going to try our best and try to get at them.

"If you get at them and play your game you've got a chance."

To hear the full interview go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14718645.stm

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 4, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »
Just about to kick off in Skem - Liverpool v Arsenal in the cup:

Liverpool Ladies are turning their thoughts to the first ever WSL cup tournament which kicks off this weekend.

The team will take on WSL champions Arsenal Ladies on Sunday in the quarter finals of the FA WSL Continental Cup.

Before the game, budding female footballers are invited to try out their skills on the pitch and coaches will be on hand to help girls take part in goalkeeping sessions. Children will also be able to take part in interactive games and competitions, with prizes and giveaways on offer.

After a disappointing end to the inaugural WSL season, where they finished bottom of the table, Liverpool Ladies are looking to make a much bigger impact on the knockout tournament.

Goalkeeper Danielle Gibbons said: “We’re hoping to surprise a few people in the cup and anything can happen in a knockout competition and we’d love to lift the trophy in a few weeks’ time.

“Of course Arsenal are a fantastic team and deserved league champions but we matched them in the first half last weekend and we’ll be looking to improve on that on Sunday.
“Hopefully plenty of children will take part in the event beforehand and as a goalkeeper I’m particularly interested to see how much talent there is between the sticks. It’s great that the event will have such a focus on goalkeeping skills as the womens’ and girls’ games need more goalkeepers.”

The game takes place at Liverpool Ladies’ home ground, Skelmersdale United, on Sunday 4 September. The match kicks off at 2pm and tickets are free for children accompanied by adults and £4.50 for adults.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 4, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »
Rachel Yankey played for Arsenal again today..............what a star.............really wish she played for us.......... :(

"Injury hit Reds out of cup Liverpool were knocked out of the Continental Cup by a rampant Arsenal side this afternoon.

After they claimed the WSL title at Skelmersdale last week, the Arsenal side arrived full of confidence, while Reds boss Robbie Johnson faced something of an injury crisis.

Liverpool were able to name just two substitutes in Chloe Jones and Caroline Charlton, neither of whom were 100% fit themselves.
The Reds lined up in a 4-5-1 formation, with Vicky Jones again operating in the defensive midfield role and Cheryl Foster playing just off lone striker Katie Brusell.

After a scrappy opening period, England striker Ellen White had the first real chance after eight minutes, but she nodded Katie Chapman's cross just wide.
At the back, her namesake and international team-mate Faye White had pulled up with a knee injury, and her replacement Ciara Grant made an immediate impact, putting the visitors ahead with her first touch.

Chapman's break through the middle was thwarted by Nicky Twohig's tackle, but from the resulting Kim Little corner, Grant was able to powerfully head home into Danielle Gibbons' net.

Despite being the better team, Arsenal struggled to create any clear cut chances until midway through the half, when Jordan Nobbs volleyed wide after seizing on Michelle Evans' clearance.

Little then fed White, whose run sprung the otherwise effective offside trap, but her half-volley went inches over the bar.
The same two players combined on 34 minutes but White again missed the target as Little's low free kick found her unmarked eight yards out.
Nobbs, White and Chapman all then had efforts comfortably dealt with by Gibbons before a moment of controversy denied Liverpool an equaliser right on half time.

Brussel raced down the left wing before seeing her crossed blocked. The ball then fell kindly for her to curl in a right footed effort which Gunners keeper Rebecca Spencer appeared to fumble over her line. No goal was given though and Liverpool went into the break behind.

Half Time: Liverpool 0-1 Arsenal

Liverpool saw their best chance of the game missed five minutes into the second period, when Foster capitalised on a weak defensive header but miscued her shot from around ten yards out.

Four minutes later and Arsenal doubled their lead through an impressive run and finish from Ellen White. Latching onto Little's pass, White drove into the area before firing a shot across Gibbons and into the far corner.

Little was beginning to run the game from midfield, and she set up another chance for White moments later. The striker beat Gibbons to the ball but could only lift her attempt into the side netting.

It was then Danielle Carter's chance to impress, as a burst of pace took her past two Liverpool defenders and allowed her to set up a simple chance for substitute Jennifer Beattie, who tapped home from close range.

Carter then had a chance of her own well saved by Gibbons before she again turned provider, firing a cross into the six yard box, but none of her team-mates could apply the final touch.

Arsenal weren't to be denied a fourth though as Beattie again scored from a few yards out. Substitute Rachel Yankey fed Little who saw her shot well saved by Gibbons, but Beattie was first to the rebound and was able to claim her second.

There was still time for Carter to head against the post and Little to fire over as Liverpool's season came to a disappointing end. Arsenal meanwhile march on to the semi-final as they aim to complete a domestic treble."

Full Time: Liverpool 0-4 Arsenal

Carly Baldwin

« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 06:38:54 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 2, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
I know I've neglected this thread for a while, had other stuff to do........

But watching the women in the Olympics football has re-inspired me to get going again and try to promote the Women's game here.

Check this out:

Sir Bobby Charlton says his scepticism about women's football has been confounded by the Olympics action, which has seen Great Britain make the quarter-finals.

The former Manchester United striker, who won the World Cup with England in 1966, said: "I have been watching women's games on television and I have had to remind myself I am not watching the men. And I mean that as a compliment.

"They pass, they tackle, they head and they're organised. I have to admit I was sceptical about the women's game. That was a mistake. I should never have underestimated them the way I did. Women's football used to be ridiculed but not any more."

-------

That was from the live text feed in the Beeb's Olympics website coverage.

In relation to Liverpool Ladies, they play Bristol away on Saturday August 18th. Since it's the closest WSL game to where I live, I'm going.

Anyone else interested in attending?

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 4, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »
Aha, I live in Dorset, about one hour from Bristol. Will try and get there, thanks for the info :)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 4, 2012, 07:48:18 pm »
I'm looking at doing a more regular feature on the ladies too.
Hurrah!

Also, Becky, website here - http://www.liverpoolladiesfc.com/index.html

Bioluminescence - let me know if you're going. I hate watching footie alone :P

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #100 on: August 4, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »
Hi Becky. There are big changes coming for the women's team, including a new home for next season. I am not sure how much I'm allowed to reveal just yet, but look out for news coming soon! I'm looking at doing a more regular feature on the ladies too. They've not had the best couple of years but things are changing :)
I know of some information myself being friends with a couple of the Ladies players and an ex-member of the team still friends with almost all the players, quite excited for the future of the team, it's staggering how far ahead of us almost all the other sides in the league are.

Managed to see them a couple of times in the past couple seasons, Hardly any victories in the past couple of seasons but hopefully under the new stewardship a brighter future is on the horizon.
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 4, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
Just a random thought, but maybe having American owners will be good for the women's team. Women's football is a lot stronger over there, maybe they'll do something to promote it here too.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 5, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »
Where has this thread been hiding?

Hi Becky. There are big changes coming for the women's team, including a new home for next season. I am not sure how much I'm allowed to reveal just yet, but look out for news coming soon! I'm looking at doing a more regular feature on the ladies too. They've not had the best couple of years but things are changing :)
You big tease.

I've only managed to go to one game so far this season, and that was away against Everton and played in Widnes. I just can't get to Skem. Off the top of my head there have only been four home games anyway, so it isn't like there have been a million opportunities to go and watch them, but still. I've had to make do with ESPN's highlights show instead (though I have to say, it isn't a bad watch at all).

I thought we were doing ok this season being 2 points off the bottom of the table, but then I realised Doncaster have 3 games in hand. It will be tough not to finish in last place again but there is hope. The last game of the season happens to be against Doncaster, and it's at home, so fingers crossed for the girls.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 5, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
Going to start watching the ladies footy, some of the tackles that go in are more brutal than in the mens game! ;D

The Womens WC was a very decent tournament aswell.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 6, 2012, 11:34:31 am »
Former Chelsea boss Matt Beard has been appointed the new manager of Women's Super League side Liverpool Ladies.

Beard replaces Robbie Johnson who left the club by mutual consent in June.

The 34-year-old resigned from his job at Chelsea in July after more than three years at the club having guided them to the 2012 FA Women's Cup final.

"We're delighted to appoint Matt as the new manager of Liverpool Ladies," said Reds director of corporate relations and communications Jen Chang.

"We interviewed a number of outstanding candidates, but Matt's tactical acumen and emphasis on a possession-based attacking style of play is an ideal fit with the long-term vision and philosophy that we are implementing for LFC Ladies."

The former Charlton Ladies and Millwall Lionesses manager, who will work at the club full-time, has agreed a deal until the end of the 2014 season and will have funds available to make additions to the squad.

Liverpool's first game after the summer break is away at Bristol Academy on Saturday, 18 August with the Reds second from bottom in the FA WSL.

Meanwhile, the club has released midfielder Lynda Shepherd, defender Nicola Twohig and striker Ruesha Littlejohn from their contracts ahead of the second half of the campaign. BBC

I wasn't expecting that. Am I allowed to ask the ITK's here whether he resigned at Chelsea to take this job? Or is it just coincidence?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 6, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »
Have been given an indication that I can interview Vicky Jones and 'the manager' at the Bristol game as part of a piece I want to write for RAWK.

The news here explains why my question, "I presume I'll be interviewing the assistant manager given the Robbie situation?" was not answered last week ;)

Hoping therefore to meet Matt on the 18th.

Anyone going?? Anyone?

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #106 on: August 8, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »
My sister Helen Griffiths signed for Liverpool Ladies a few days ago, in the squad for the city game!!!!!
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 8, 2012, 07:30:35 pm »
My sister Helen Griffiths signed for Liverpool Ladies a few days ago, in the squad for the city game!!!!!
Cool! You gonna go?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #108 on: August 8, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »
I've asked this question before and I've not gotten an answer yet...

Do the Ladies football team have the same structure, philosophy, direction as the rest of the club, incl. the 1st team and the youth?

If they don't, why not?
I'm proudly chauvinist and male rights etc.., but I believe they should be treated equally.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 8, 2012, 07:35:07 pm »
I've asked this question before and I've not gotten an answer yet...

Do the Ladies football team have the same structure, philosophy, direction as the rest of the club, incl. the 1st team and the youth?
Well, maybe I can ask that question for you on the 18th ;)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 8, 2012, 07:36:11 pm »
They trained just twice per week? No wonder they're... not very good. Was playing lowest local division girls football in Germany and we trained three times a week.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #111 on: August 8, 2012, 07:38:27 pm »
They trained just twice per week? No wonder they're... not very good. Was playing lowest local division girls football in Germany and we trained three times a week.
That's the thing, I notice the ladies are frequently beaten by the likes of Arsenal and so forth, who are united with the rest of Arsenal FC and follow the same principles, direction, philosphy, training regime etc...

It's not fair, if they don't. I just have that suspicion.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2012, 08:06:01 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 9, 2012, 09:34:59 am »
So, I hear we lost the City friendly last night, 3-2. Did anybody go? I'd love to know the story of the game before I decide whether that result is actually as concerning as it sounds.

Offline givemekaliber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 9, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
So, I hear we lost the City friendly last night, 3-2. Did anybody go? I'd love to know the story of the game before I decide whether that result is actually as concerning as it sounds.
Mate my sis said they played well and there are a few new names settling in as she is. Only a friendly. Don't be concerned

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 9, 2012, 12:53:28 pm »
Mate my sis said they played well and there are a few new names settling in as she is. Only a friendly. Don't be concerned
Ah, lots of new faces is exactly what I was hoping to hear, cheers.

Out of interest, do you happen to know when your sister's signing (and I assume others) will be announced? I wouldn't have even had to ask for the story of last night's game if I knew what the line-up was, but I guess it's pretty hard for them to tell me who played when we don't yet know they've actually signed for us. Somebody could have at least tweeted the final score though (but that rant is for another time).

Congrats to your sister by the way. I would have posted in the thread you made about it but I'm too scared to look inside.

Offline Liz82

• Kemlynite
« Reply #115 on: August 9, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »
Unfortunatley I cant watch many games as they often clash with my own games (I am a female player at a lower level). But when I stop playing if I dont continue into the coaching side at a club and my Sunday's are free there is no doubt I will start following LFC ladies. Probably more than the men in view of cost and the general direction the mens game is sadly taking. The standard of womens football is going from strength to strength and I hope that these olympics will boost it further and get more kids involved so the game continues to improve.
Twitter - Liz_Glover104

Offline givemekaliber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 9, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »
Ah, lots of new faces is exactly what I was hoping to hear, cheers.

Out of interest, do you happen to know when your sister's signing (and I assume others) will be announced? I wouldn't have even had to ask for the story of last night's game if I knew what the line-up was, but I guess it's pretty hard for them to tell me who played when we don't yet know they've actually signed for us. Somebody could have at least tweeted the final score though (but that rant is for another time).

Congrats to your sister by the way. I would have posted in the thread you made about it but I'm too scared to look inside.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Mate it's not that bad at all!!!! Made me laugh some of the posts. Not sure when they'll be officially unveiled as such but I'm sure they'll sort it soon. I've linked in with 24/7 to sort keeping the site updated of news, results etc.
Thanks for the congratulations mate, she's well made up

Offline chris.volante

• Anny Roader
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:27 pm »
Any news on this new home for next season yet?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2012, 11:20:16 am »
Bristol v Liverpool, TODAY, Stoke Gifford Stadium, k.o. 18:00.

Tickets available on the gate, £5 for Working People, £3 Concessions.

1st game with Matt Beard in charge.

Should be interesting - second from bottom plays third from top.

If anyone's going, PM me :wave

COME ON, YOU REDwoMEN! :scarf

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:34 pm »
Tough game here. It is 0-0 at half time, thanks to some solid defending and heroic goalkeeping.