Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17  (Read 252914 times)

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17
« Reply #440 on: October 23, 2016, 07:25:00 pm »
Thanks Prof.
Thank you for the interim updates.  I'll try to find some time to look at what you sent me this week.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2016, 07:48:37 pm »
Thank you for the interim updates.  I'll try to find some time to look at what you sent me this week.

No rush. When you get a chance. I've made another update after talking to Killjoy. Will send you an update over the next week or so.

Offline noshade

• Boys Pen
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2016, 08:29:54 pm »
Since APLT shows where we stand against other teams in a "par results" table, I was wondering how we stand against ourselves in previous seasons in terms of points taken from same number of games played.

We have had a relatively good start to this season. In the first 9 matches, we got 20 points. In previous seasons where we got same amount of points or more, where did we finish in the PL table?

To answer this question, I gathered the data from past seasons since start of 38-games era (since 1995-96 season) and generated a table of points per number of games played per season. The one below shows that for 9 games played but it is variable and can show same for any of the 38 games of a season. It also shows something interesting: for all the 8 times we were out of Top 4 in this era, only once have we gathered as much points as this season after 9 games. The one case was for the odd season of 2002-03 (when we brought in Diouf, Diarra and Cheyrou). It's fair to say that we are definitely not this season in the same situation: we haven't brought in an expensive winger from Senegal or a player who's been compared to Zidane, have we?! Jokes aside (and for the sake of preventing misunderstanding, I believe Mane is well worth every penny spent and Grujic is technically gifted), from a probability point of view, this model also shows that we are well on course to get a Top 4 finish! Even if we include the odd season and to please the pessimists, it should be at worst a Top 5 finish for the time being.

Of course, much like the APLT, these are just stats and extrapolation. The game gets played on the pitch. Nothing can prevent a slip collapse in confidence, injuries to the players, Klopp swallowing his glasses in excitement, a player getting hit by a parked bus, or overzealous archaeologists preventing access to Anfield turned into the "last wonder of the world"! Well you get the point! But at least, these theoretical data can keep us busy between matches for the football-thirsty ones amongst us. Above all, if this can help bring some more belief back, I'll gladly contribute!

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2016, 08:33:28 pm »
APLT Full Table : Round 9
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2016, 08:34:06 pm »
APLT Extrapolations : Round 9
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2016, 08:34:51 pm »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Round 9

Offline flamingapeshead

• Main Stander
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2016, 09:28:30 pm »
APLT Extrapolations : Round 9

Very grateful for your spreadsheets! I had the numbers wrong for about 4 different teams when I tried to calculate it

Some interesting differences between the 2 tables. One method has Tottenham and Southampton on the same points and the other has a projected 16 point gap between them! Good to see us near the top whichever way you work it out anyway

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #447 on: October 23, 2016, 11:49:18 pm »
APLT (after 9 games)

Liverpool        +1
Man City         +1
Chelsea           -2
Arsenal           -3
Spurs              -4
Southampton   -4
Man Utd          -6 

Real PL Table (after 9 games)

Pts    GD
Man City     20      11
Arsenal      20      10
Liverpool    20       9
Chelsea     19      10   
Spurs         19      9
Everton      15      6
Man Utd     14      1 

Gameweek 10

Arsenal @ Sunderland     (Par 3)
Man City @ West Brom    (Par 3)
Liverpool @ C. Palace     (Par 3)
Spurs vs Leicester          (Par 3)
Man United vs Burnley    (Par 3)
Chelsea @ Southampton (Par 1)

Tricky games for all the big teams next week...

As for United, massive pressure on them now, especially with a look at their fixture list!

Oct 26 - Football League Cup Man. City H
Oct 29 - Premier League  Burnley H (Par 3)
Nov 3 - Europa League Fenerbahçe A
Nov 6 - Premier League Swansea City A (Par 1)
Nov 19 - Premier League Arsenal H  (Par 3)

Interesting to note that - with the exception of their home loss against us, Chelsea are actually on +1 as well...

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #448 on: October 26, 2016, 12:55:02 am »

That my Dear Prof is a vision of beauty. The like of which we could only dream of at the start of the season. I love those curves and the story I see unfolding. Looks like everyone apart from us and Chelsea is trending downwards. City started the race with a sprint but look to be flagging now. At this moment in time (after just 9 games) things look tremendous for us. Lets see what the APLT shows us at the end of this year. The suggestion at this moment in time is that Chelsea may be our main rivals and they like us are not involved in Europe. That result we got at Stamford Bridge may turn out to be the stand out most important result of our season.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:01:49 am by SpionBob »
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: October 26, 2016, 09:05:15 am »
we will not have may chances to improve on par in the next 5 games, while some of the others will be clashing and could gain points.

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:50 am »
we will not have may chances to improve on par in the next 5 games, while some of the others will be clashing and could gain points.

We best win our games then!  :-X

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »
That my Dear Prof is a vision of beauty. The like of which we could only dream of at the start of the season. I love those curves and the story I see unfolding. Looks like everyone apart from us and Chelsea is trending downwards. City started the race with a sprint but look to be flagging now. At this moment in time (after just 9 games) things look tremendous for us. Lets see what the APLT shows us at the end of this year. The suggestion at this moment in time is that Chelsea may be our main rivals and they like us are not involved in Europe. That result we got at Stamford Bridge may turn out to be the stand out most important result of our season.

I said during the summer in one of the other threads that I thought Chelsea and Liverpool would be battling for the top slot due to their lack of European football (coupled with their excellent managers). It's early days and time will tell if that happens to be the case, but your post spurned me to add this to the chart to see it's effect.

It's interesting to note how Man U have dropped points after every european game so far (their other drop in game 4 was the Manchester derby).

Offline SpionBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: October 26, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
I'd be quite happy if we only gain another point to par over the next 5 games as the league is so competitive that other teams will be struggling to make par too.
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #453 on: October 26, 2016, 01:13:54 pm »
I'd be quite happy if we only gain another point to par over the next 5 games as the league is so competitive that other teams will be struggling to make par too.
Theres only one game we can improve on par (away @ Southampton - Par 1) so it's impossible for us to only gain one point to par over the next 5   :D
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: October 26, 2016, 01:26:18 pm »
I said during the summer in one of the other threads that I thought Chelsea and Liverpool would be battling for the top slot due to their lack of European football (coupled with their excellent managers). It's early days and time will tell if that happens to be the case, but your post spurned me to add this to the chart to see it's effect.

It's interesting to note how Man U have dropped points after every european game so far (their other drop in game 4 was the Manchester derby).

United: -1-2-1 = -4 pts
Man City 0-1-2 = -3 pts
Leicester 0-2-0 = -2 pts
Arsenal 0-0-2 = -2 pts
Tottenham 0-0-2 = -2 pts

Non European:
Liverpool 2+2+0 = 4 pts
Chelsea -3+0+0 = -2 pts

Difficult to draw any conclusions from. It also depends on the opposition and whether they had European games. United does play on Thursdays, which makes it a little harder I guess and could explain their negative trend.

Offline SpionBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:42 pm »
Theres only one game we can improve on par (away @ Southampton - Par 1) so it's impossible for us to only gain one point to par over the next 5   :D
to be honest I'd be happy if we played to par over the next 5 games, although a 'birdie# at Southampton wouldn't go  :D amiss .

Offline JCB

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:30 pm »
Difficult to draw any conclusions from. It also depends on the opposition and whether they had European games. United does play on Thursdays, which makes it a little harder I guess and could explain their negative trend.

Yeah, agree with you there. There was no significant trend emerging at all from all the other teams especially with such a small sample size to consider but thought it worthwhile to share if only for a certain element of schadenfreude on Man Utd's behalf.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:33 pm »
to be honest I'd be happy if we played to par over the next 5 games, although a 'birdie# at Southampton wouldn't go  :D amiss .

Eagle. You're not getting it, are you

Offline SpionBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: October 26, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »
An eagle is a kind of 'birdie' aint it?  :jester

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #459 on: October 29, 2016, 04:55:09 pm »
Some interesting results this afternoon...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #460 on: October 29, 2016, 05:00:23 pm »
Cmon! Let's win this!!!
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #461 on: October 29, 2016, 05:15:56 pm »
United -9 and Spurs -6. Pretty amazing. Important that we get the job done against Palace now.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: October 29, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »
Gief seksi graffs nao!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #463 on: October 29, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »

l-r: Utd, Tottenham

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »
What is the significance of the 90 point line? To separate the contenders from the pretenders?

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2016, 07:53:57 pm »
Is Palace away a par 1 game?
Football is a lie

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2016, 08:01:17 pm »
Is Palace away a par 1 game?

Full list of fixtures in the op tells you which are Par 3 and which Par 1.

What is the significance of the 90 point line? To separate the contenders from the pretenders?

;D

Yes.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2016, 08:03:12 pm »
Fuck sake, I'm just a fair few sips of this g'n't away from whipping out mspaint and going to town on l33t sekksi graffs!

I won't tho. 'cause I respect them so much...
@Yvanicuzz

Offline flamingapeshead

• Main Stander
« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2016, 08:05:25 pm »
Projected final points for the top 5 prior to Chelsea's game:

Man City 88
Liverpool 86
Arsenal 86
Chelsea 81
Tottenham 76

Chelsea will be projected 77, 80 or 86 depending on tomorrow's result

Offline flamingapeshead

• Main Stander
« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2016, 08:12:03 pm »
Fuck sake, I'm just a fair few sips of this g'n't away from whipping out mspaint and going to town on l33t sekksi graffs!

I won't tho. 'cause I respect them so much...

Go on you know you want to! Sekksi graffs! Sekksi graffs!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: October 29, 2016, 08:14:15 pm »
par 3

Must be arguably the toughest par 3
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: October 29, 2016, 08:14:37 pm »
Projected final points for the top 5 prior to Chelsea's game:

Man City 88
Liverpool 86
Arsenal 86
Chelsea 81
Tottenham 76

Chelsea will be projected 77, 80 or 86 depending on tomorrow's result

Second place at the end of the season would be fucking fantastic!

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #473 on: October 29, 2016, 08:23:03 pm »
Just keep the foot on the gas while others play each other in the next 3/4/5 games and we will (continue) to be flying.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: October 29, 2016, 08:37:10 pm »

Forget that. We will win the league if we clock 86 points. City pipped us last time but that was with a side with Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero fit and in their prime. This version isnt as good.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: October 29, 2016, 08:38:49 pm »
Forget that. We will win the league if we clock 86 points. City pipped us last time but that was with a side with Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero fit and in their prime. This version isnt as good.

I think we've got a great chance to win the league and we'll be in the race until the very last day, but I mean generally in terms of improvement since Klopp became our manager.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: October 29, 2016, 08:40:31 pm »
I think we've got a great chance to win the league and we'll be in the race until the very last day, but I mean generally in terms of improvement since Klopp became our manager.

Indeed and Klopp has been amazing but for me we have underperformed with some of the players we have and certainly compared to the other squads. 8th last season was a false position.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #477 on: October 29, 2016, 08:41:25 pm »
I'll add more reasoned discussion later in the week. For now I'm on the ale. Hold to par, spurs and United drop.

I'm becoming less and less annoyed that I've got a ticket to Man City at home on New Year's Eve. It could well be the best New Years I've ever had.

Fucking come on.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #478 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »
No. Are you purposely trying to insult shankly? "First is everything second is nothing"
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Collymore

• Boys Pen
« Reply #479 on: October 29, 2016, 10:18:02 pm »
No. Are you purposely trying to insult shankly? "First is everything second is nothing"
Shank got that quote from Ricky Bobby.