Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17  (Read 252826 times)

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2016, 09:21:44 am »
It's actually fairly unusual for a lot of teams to swap from par one to par three over the course of a full season. The trad table at the end of the previous season is probably still more of a realistic guide than the table six weeks into the new campaign.
It's a lot of extra work just to offset two or at most four shifts.
Fair enough. It was a thought I had.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24:34 am »
Wait, I think I might get what you are saying.  Are you saying DURING a round, there will be differences because team A might be 7th but after another team wins they become 8th in the par rankings and change from a par 1 away to a par 3, before another team plays them that round?

I guess the way to account for that is to lock the table until the game week matches are all complete?
No, I mean a team could theoretically play 4 or 5 different teams at a time when they're a par 1, and due to the rolling form another team could play all of those same teams at a time when they're a par 3.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:43 am »
An idea I had a few years ago was having the APLT pars be rolling live. By that I mean, rather than final position from the previous season, taking the 38 previous rounds (e.g. Round 6 last year until Round 5 this year).  Calculating the league position based on those results, and applying pars on a rolling basis, week to week.

But you'd have teams who have played a different mix of 38 teams during those rounds compared to anyone else.

Using a whole season every side has played the same games as the others.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2016, 09:30:00 am »
Fair enough. It was a thought I had.

Yes, I can see the logic behind it, but I checked last year how often teams really do shift and it's not that common. Par 3 sides are more likely to be relegated than to become par one sides, and newly promoted teams hardly ever make the top thirteen spots.

I also like the fact that you can track the graphs as the season progresses, which you can't if they change every week.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
No, I mean a team could theoretically play 4 or 5 different teams at a time when they're a par 1, and due to the rolling form another team could play all of those same teams at a time when they're a par 3.

I think Fluke is proposing to redraw the whole graph every week to take an up to date view based on current league position.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2016, 09:37:07 am »
I think Fluke is proposing to redraw the whole graph every week to take an up to date view based on current league position.
Then couldn't some teams have played Everton 3 times for example?

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2016, 09:38:36 am »
No mate, at the minute, everyone has 12 par ones and 26 par threes.

A rolling table where everyone changed position each week would mean some teams end the season having played say, 15 par 1 games whilst another team could have only played 9.

To get around this issue you would have to make the changes in position each week retrospectively to each previous week too.

I believe it would work and probably give a slightly more accurate model, but would be a lot of work for someone, for what I imagine is only a couple of points here and there for some teams.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:48 am »
Then couldn't some teams have played Everton 3 times for example?

While that would obviously be a huge advantage to anyone, it's only the pars that would be revised, I think the table itself would still be based on the current season alone, unless I'm reading it wrong.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2016, 09:45:15 am »

While that would obviously be a huge advantage to anyone...

Bravo, sir.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2016, 09:45:25 am »

Might make sense once a clear pecking order has been established. In the first ~10 rnds, it's likely too variable?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2016, 10:10:17 am »
If you are automating the generation of the graphs, making assignment of which teams are par 1 the first step of that process is not too onerous. In terms of accuracy, you would probably have to use a ppg table rather than the actual table to reduce the effects of the variable number of games played.

Of course if you were being grandiose, you could use an updating full table - using the matches from the current season, filling in the gaps with the results from the previous season - using relegation/promotion team substitution where appropriate. That would factor in the current form, and still use a full season worth of results.

Mind you, I could not be arsed to set that up, and I my "being arsed" threshold is quite awesome. The current approach is simple, yet good enough.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:55 am »
SP, that's exactly what I had in mind.  Nessy and Mark described it well.

I actually think it wouldn't be too hard to set up, if you had a feed providing the results. The problem is I have been especially lazy... I might try it during this season though, just to see how it looks.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
My own view is that in these discussions which happen every year, people are taking this thread way too seriously.

The only table that matters is the real one. The APLT provides a perspective on the positions in the real table that can help understand the challenges ahead. Trying to come up with alternative and complex 'weighting' misses the point and plays into the ridicule that we somehow think the APLT is more meaningful than the actual standings.

The APLT's strength is its simplicity. It provides a useful discussion point. That's all.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:29 am »
Hey, some of us like math and spreadsheets and stuff.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2016, 11:36:15 am »
The APLT is about judging a team's fixture difficulty relative to their position on the real table. The APLT doesn't make any sense without the real table, so the comparisons really are pointless.

We're rightly where we need to be because we lost to god damn Burnley who scored two of their grant total of three goals this season against us.

City on the other hand, despite their lofty +6, haven't really been tested so far. Their only difficult fixture has been vs United, while the +2's they gained vs Stoke and Swansea are questionable because those two teams are awful this season. Their true test will come this weekend vs Spurs, while our true test is consistency, especially vs the smaller teams.
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2016, 01:58:42 pm »
My own view is that in these discussions which happen every year, people are taking this thread way too seriously.

The only table that matters is the real one. The APLT provides a perspective on the positions in the real table that can help understand the challenges ahead. Trying to come up with alternative and complex 'weighting' misses the point and plays into the ridicule that we somehow think the APLT is more meaningful than the actual standings.

The APLT's strength is its simplicity. It provides a useful discussion point. That's all.
Right. I've been following the APLT threads for years because it's a very useful way to consider fixtures and results at certain stages of the season. Every year people come in wanting to make it more complicated. Just let it be simple!

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2016, 08:16:22 pm »
The only way a rolling par would work without teams having different par totals would be if the pars are adjusted for matches already played if the rankings change.  Therefore anything you see happen in one week might mean something different the following week.  There's also the issue that league table rankings are influenced by the difficulty of fixtures to date.  There would also need to be an aplt to decide the rankings of teams to identify the pars which makes things even more complicated and unnecessarily so.

Therefore, I think it's a non-starter.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2016, 08:35:56 pm »
I'm not sure a rolling par offers much more insight than just a plain rolling points total.  Sky often do a "if the league began 1st January......" to highlight teams that have recently come into form, or have suffered massive drops in form.

If we were to do a "if the league began 38 games ago" wouldn't that likely show a similar ranking of teams to an APLT based on those 38 games?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »
My head hurts

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:42 am »
APLT Full Table : Round 6
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2016, 10:28:55 am »
Great work on the APLT. Did someone reboot the results comparison thread too?

Loved that one for watching the progression from year to year.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2016, 11:09:28 am »
If Nessy76 is doing a weekend preview I will very much look forward to reading - Nessy, please don't feel obligated!

We have a par 1 away to Swansea, Man City have a par 1 away to Spurs. The bad news is Spurs will be on a CL hangover and are without Kane. :(
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2016, 11:35:52 am »
If Nessy76 is doing a weekend preview I will very much look forward to reading - Nessy, please don't feel obligated!

We have a par 1 away to Swansea, Man City have a par 1 away to Spurs. The bad news is Spurs will be on a CL hangover and are without Kane. :(

Cheers, all depends how busy I get on Friday afternoon!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2016, 07:37:16 pm »
Gameweek 7:

Friday
Everton vs Palace       (Par 3)

Saturday
Liverpool @ Swansea (Par 1)
Chelsea @ Hull           (Par 3)

Sunday
United vs Stoke          (Par 3)
Spurs vs City              (Par 3)
City @ Spurs               (Par 1)
Arsenal @ Burnley      (Par 3)

Great opportunity to gain ground on everyone as rivals will inevitably drop points.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2016, 12:45:00 am »

City have got a tough away tie in Europe a day after Spurs

;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2016, 01:06:36 am »
Cheers, all depends how busy I get on Friday afternoon!
Oh now the excuses start...

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2016, 10:24:49 pm »
You've let the entire site down, Nessy. Shame.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2016, 11:09:30 pm »
I think you guys are right as far as the value of the rolling par.  I was just curious to see if it painted a different picture, as later in the season it would be more reflective of each team's current form, rather than just their previous season's form.

Though as mentioned, it would definitely just be a snapshot, as the values of past matches would change as people changed par values. The entire graph would change.

(Though Nessy pointed out this doesn't happen very often, so the graph may not change that much).

By the way, I never suggested this as a replacement to the APLT, I love the APLT. I have just been curious to see what that might look like in conjunction with it.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2016, 11:24:16 pm »
What are Everton now, -7 already? Or is Bournemouth away par 1?
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 1, 2016, 02:21:40 am »
Fwiw I think the rolling Par is a really good idea. Someone mentioned that some team might have to face 15 PAR 1 vs some other team only 9 PAR 1... But isn't that true over the season? Some teams play orher teams  the right times? Or for another example, if Leicester really keep playing the way have so far and Chelsea play themselves towards the top 2, is it totally pointless to have Chelsea be par 1 and Leicester a PAR 3? Rolling PAR seems obvious improvement over current scheme.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #230 on: October 1, 2016, 03:48:58 am »
A rolling par would be a lot of work.  Every team would have to have its own par ranking table because each team doesn't play the same opponent every week.  You can't roll the results on a temporal basis either because teams would be affected arbitrarily by the schedules

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #231 on: October 1, 2016, 07:26:35 am »
What are Everton now, -7 already? Or is Bournemouth away par 1?
they were added to the table...

Maybe time to remove them again
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 1, 2016, 07:29:21 am »

It was far too early to add them.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #233 on: October 1, 2016, 07:49:38 am »
A rolling par would be a lot of work.  Every team would have to have its own par ranking table because each team doesn't play the same opponent every week.  You can't roll the results on a temporal basis either because teams would be affected arbitrarily by the schedules

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
I was thinking about this last year and came up with a coefficient based on form from the last 6 games. It tied in well as a predictor, but, like most of the other alternative alternatives just isn't as elegant as the original.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 1, 2016, 08:02:18 am »

To be fair, they did look better than Leicester, not sure who I'd choose at this point to be the 7th team...

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 1, 2016, 08:09:09 am »
To be fair, they did look better than Leicester, not sure who I'd choose at this point to be the 7th team...
To be fair, it's Everton.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 1, 2016, 08:22:16 am »

Not in mine.  Only in JCB's which is dynamic and can select any teams wanted.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #237 on: October 1, 2016, 08:22:24 am »
But if they hadn't been added, we wouldn't get to remove them.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 1, 2016, 08:22:49 am »
But if they hadn't been added, we wouldn't get to remove them.
Fair play sir.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 1, 2016, 08:24:42 am »
Fwiw I think the rolling Par is a really good idea. Someone mentioned that some team might have to face 15 PAR 1 vs some other team only 9 PAR 1... But isn't that true over the season? Some teams play orher teams  the right times? Or for another example, if Leicester really keep playing the way have so far and Chelsea play themselves towards the top 2, is it totally pointless to have Chelsea be par 1 and Leicester a PAR 3? Rolling PAR seems obvious improvement over current scheme.
If every team has the same par score (90), after 38 games, the aplt matches the real table.  If the pars are different, there might be different teams at the top of each table.