Author Topic: How many points do you expect in the next 5 matches 2016-17 edition  (Read 58917 times)

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: How many points do you expect in the next 5 matches 2016-17 edition
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2016, 05:53:16 am »
This thread always confuses me, isn't the idea to see out the first batch of 5 games, then predict the following 5 etc?
Thank God. I thought I was the only one who thought this 'how many points do you expect in the next 5 games (everything is fine, we will just keep changing goalposts)' thread would be a bit more constructive discussion if it talked about specific 5 game blocks over the season.

Offline Day83

• Kemlynite
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2016, 08:03:34 am »

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2016, 05:25:31 pm »
We can win every match the problem is how we start. Every time we have a bad first 5 minutes and concede we are never coming back, its happened so many times.
Seen us win everything

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2016, 10:27:33 pm »
Burnley fuckin madrid just lost to the mighty accrington stanley of the lucrative league two. And we lost 2-0 to them despite 80% possession.

How many points? Fuckin useless to speculate as we are consistently inconsistent.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:38 pm »
We can win every match the problem is how we start. Every time we have a bad first 5 minutes and concede we are never coming back, its happened so many times.

Depends who we're up against. If we'd started that way against Arsenal, I still think we would've come back. When Burnley went 1-0 up against us I hardly batted an eyelid; I thought, "well, we can put 4 past Arsenal, we'll win this". But it soon become apparent that Burnley had exactly what they needed and could now camp out in a very disciplined and dour rearguard action, and we were really going to struggle. Another calamitous error for 2-0 and I knew the game was over, only question was whether we would nab a late consolation but even that hope had been snuffed by around the 70-minute mark.

In short, we know we struggle against bus drivers (although maybe with Mané we can improve in that respect). So against those lot we can't concede the lead. Against attacking sides like Arsenal and Dortmund, we're never beaten.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2016, 11:31:25 pm »

You must have missed the first ten minutes at home to Dortmund last season.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2016, 09:27:47 am »
Arsenal - 3
Burnley - 1/3
Tottenham - 1
Leicester - 3
Chelsea - 0

Hard start so keeping to 2 points a game will be difficult, if we can then great.

Knew we'd beat Arsenal and fuck up Burnley. Expected things to change for some reason and put 3 points. Stand by the other predictions, potentially a win tomorrow but doubt it.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2016, 03:26:13 pm »
A win against Leicester and a loss to Chelsea would see us on 7 points after the 5 first games which is a decent enough return considering three of our opponents were last years top three, the fourth is a powerhouse of English football and four of the games were away. A win against Leicester and draw against Chelsea would be a good return and entirely possible. My only worry is that the current gung-ho style tends to be a bit lose at the back and if both these teams score first against us we will struggle to unlock them.

Arsenal - 3
Burnley - 0
Tottenham - 1

Leicester - 3
Chelsea - 0

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »
A win against Leicester and a loss to Chelsea would see us on 7 points after the 5 first games which is a decent enough return.

It never ceases to amaze me what some people consider a decent enough return. Are we really that shite?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me what some people consider a decent enough return. Are we really that shite?

No, but we're not very good either.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2016, 04:51:29 pm »
I've said a few weeks ago that 7/8 points over these 5 games would be a good return to bet on; and that was before I knew whether we were any good(11 August).
Still think that would be a good return- for a starting list of fixtures... all but 1 away... against considerable opposition... amidst bleeding in new players... and while busy absorbing new ideas yet again.
This was my reply to another poster:

Quote from: OsirisMVZ on August 11, 2016, 08:32:57 PM

We will beat Arsenal, Burnley AND Spurs and the collective jizz of Rawk would be able to feed a small nation. Think we might crash back down to earth afterwards.

The other big teams will drop points too. The start of the season includes Leicester/Arsenal and City/Utd. If you offered me 9-10 points from our first 5 I'd take that right now.

9-10's pretty optimistic, make it 7/8 and you've got a deal.

Had nothing to do with whether we're shite or not, but all to do with the circumstances around this start.
Once we're in our second set of fives, then yes- we can start looking for more points.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:03:55 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2016, 04:53:41 pm »
Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal away in the first 5 games. And you won't consider a return of 7 as decent (not excellent, decent) ? These are all games that a very good side with a bit of bad form can loose. I would say 7 or 8 is decent. 10 excellent from these games. Even for a side with ambitions of winning the league

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »
Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal away in the first 5 games. And you won't consider a return of 7 as decent (not excellent, decent) ? These are all games that a very good side with a bit of bad form can loose. I would say 7 or 8 is decent. 10 excellent from these games. Even for a side with ambitions of winning the league

7 is the bare minimum to expect. It would have been an average start, not a decent one as decent would be veering towards a good start. It all depends on how you class the absolute bare minimum.

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2016, 05:03:00 pm »
7 is the bare minimum to expect. It would have been an average start, not a decent one as decent would be veering towards a good start. It all depends on how you class the absolute bare minimum.
Agreed mostly. However, 4 or 5 from these games and 2 points per game over he rest of the season (which the likes of Spurs, Arsenal have done in recent years very similarly) would still put you at 70-71 points and top 4 very likely. I am not talking how the media pressure or the fan pressure would affect the team if they had 4/5 points in first 5 games. I am looking at it in vacuum and 4/5 points from these 5 games, granted poor won't have disastrous consequences on our season. It's how we go against the next Burnley that will.

Or looking at it the other way... If these games were not all back to back and sprinkled over the rest of the season, would you still think 6 as a poor return from them (7 being the absolute minimum)?

/over analysis

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2016, 05:05:07 pm »
It all depends on how you class the absolute bare minimum.

Over the whole season, 2 points per game.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2016, 05:22:49 pm »
When the fixture list was released, after looking at our first 5 games, I thought to myself that I'd be very happy with 9 points.

Imo, considering we've already played Arsenal and Spurs away, this is what I think of the following possibilties regarding our games against Leicester and Chelsea:

Beat both = 10 points = utopia.

Beat one, draw the other = 8 points = I'll take it. Happy with that.

Beat one, lose the other = 7 points = disappointing

Draw both = 6 points = not good at all

Draw one, lose the other = 5 points = disastrous

Lose both = 4 points = season over (not really, but yeah).

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
Just want to remind ourselves.. we didn't just play Arsenal and Spurs away. We took points off of our rivals for a CL spot.
If we've been woeful(which I doubt), so have they. And that's a good thing.

Misery loves company.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:39:10 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2016, 04:00:36 pm »
A win at Chelsea will get us to 10 points in our first 5.  Would be quite a good start considering that we will have played Arsenal, Tottenham, and Chelsea away in those matches.  If only we didn't fuck up that Burnley game.   :butt :butt :butt

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
Arsenal
Burnley -3
Tottenham
Leicester
Chelsea

Four of these teams need to be considered top half sides. As per usual, I expect us to beat the rest, home and away. Based on that, I expect 3 points vs Burnley. Everything else is a bonus. Meaning we have a great opportunity in those first few games. We can get off to a good start and be 'ahead of schedule'.

If we stand on 7 points after five games, that would be really good.

Right now we are at 7 points after 4 games. That's positive. Hope we can beat Chelsea, or at least get a draw. After that when we play Hull and Swansea, we really, really need to win if we want to be a top side.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »
10+ from those 5 would be a great start.

3 on Friday please lads.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »

Guess we'll find out on the 17th of October.

Offline Dpt1983

• Kemlynite
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39:21 pm »
15 I always think we will win every game :)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »
A win at Chelsea will get us to 10 points in our first 5.  Would be quite a good start considering that we will have played Arsenal, Tottenham, and Chelsea away in those matches.  If only we didn't fuck up that Burnley game.   :butt :butt :butt

The Burnley result may come back to haunt us, but what's done is done. The results vs last year's top three have been good. Better than we could 'demand'. We're on track with a game to go from the first five. If we can follow that up with wins against the sides we must beat, things will begin to look interesting. It's the games vs the bottom half sides that we must perform in. 3 points is par for the course when we play Hull, Swansea, Sunderland, WBA, Watford, Bournemouth etc. This is where we tend to drop too many points (Burnley).

So far we've put ourselves in a really good position, even if we are a few points from the top.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »
We are in a good position. Everyone has to play everyone else anyway. And after we play Chelsea, we will have already played 3 of the current top 6.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »
The Burnley result may come back to haunt us, but what's done is done.

Maybe but if we are talking about a 2-point par minimum season then we can override that result.  Beat Burnley and Arsenal at Anfield and we can write-off that reverse at Turf Moor.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2016, 07:37:24 pm »
A win at Chelsea will get us to 10 points in our first 5.  Would be quite a good start considering that we will have played Arsenal, Tottenham, and Chelsea away in those matches. 

The Burnley defeat is frustrating but at the start of the seasons I'd have been really happy with 8 points off the 1st 5 games -  W2 D2 L1. Given the fixtures that would have be a good base for us to kick on from. We are a draw away at Chelsea from getting to 8 points.

10 points would be a brilliant start considering the fixtures we've had. A lot better than 'quite a good start'!
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2016, 07:42:01 pm »
The Burnley result may come back to haunt us

Every team has games they can say that about though.

There'll be games where we win points when we don't expect to. And there'll be games when we drop points when we don't expect to.

The key is to have more and the former and less of the latter over the course of the season. If we do that then we'll have a good season. 7 points from our 1st 4 games feels like we are doing well considering the fixtures so far
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2016, 02:21:54 pm »
ALTPL has 9 as the target to be on track for 90 points. A win against Chelsea puts us on 10 but 8 wouldn't still be above 75 point target which I think is probably the realistic goal.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2016, 02:28:28 pm »
Keeping up with the 2ppg required to qualify to champions league next season, about 7-9 points from the first 5 games should be the minimum target. That puts at 3 wins and 2 losses. Or 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss.

We should win the next game to maintain 2ppg. That way, we finish the 1st set (out of 8 sets) on target. And we are already done with Emirates, White hart lane and Stanford bridge.

Should get an absolute minimum of 2ppg. Right from the 1st set of 5 games. To the last set of 3 games.

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2016, 03:00:52 pm »
Arsenal (A) - 3
Burnley (A) - 3
Spurs (A) - 1
Leicester (H) - 1
Chelsea (A) - 0

Think we'll beat Arsenal, and then the usual over-confidence will set in.

Would be reasonably satisfied with 8 points from that opening 5 games, to be honest. Anything more would be a very positive sign.

Draw at Chelsea and we'll reach the 8 points I was originally hoping for.

Hull at Anfield is precisely the type of game we routinely fuck up though. More worried about that than Chelsea to be honest
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2016, 09:33:37 pm »
Every team has games they can say that about though.

There'll be games where we win points when we don't expect to. And there'll be games when we drop points when we don't expect to.

The key is to have more and the former and less of the latter over the course of the season. If we do that then we'll have a good season. 7 points from our 1st 4 games feels like we are doing well considering the fixtures so far

Yes, we're doing well. The Burnley result is kind of cancelled out now after our wins vs Arsenal and Leicester. What annoys me with that defeat is how it follows the pattern from previous years. We drop too many "easy" points. Last season, what cost us a CL spot was our dropped points vs Sunderland, Newcastle and WBA. 7 points that should have been 18. Last season we also got 7 points vs the top three, Leicester, Arsenal and Tottenham.

One result isn't the end of the world, but if we want to move up the table and challenge for the title or a CL spot, we've got to win the "easy" games every week.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2016, 09:40:33 pm »
Is it worth updating the thread title to include the first and last teams faced in each block of 5?

As someone else said, it kinda loses it's value if we're not sure which block we're predicting, discussing etc..

If we can get to 10 pts tomorrow, thats a good start to the season. 7 or 8 is acceptable, given the fixtures - Arse/Spurs/Chelsea.

Think we'll hit 10.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2016, 10:24:07 pm »
Yeah... it was going so well the first few pages, but then you started getting the lads who just couldn't distinguish one set from another, weighing in and shifting the goalposts with total abandon.
Made it a bit "meh.."

Better to just update the OP with the next set of fives every time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:27:50 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2016, 01:07:06 am »
The op does have the games broken down into groups of 5 though.  I don't think we'll ever get everyone to stick to the exact same set of 5 throughout the entire year regardless of what you do. 

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:15 am »
IF - and a big if - we win against Chelsea we would have had close to a dream start. 10 point from three of the most difficult away games and the champions at home would be a massive statement regardless of how the points were achieved. It is better to win against Arsenal and lose against Burnley than the other way around since we will be depriving a close rival of points.

Saying that, I'd be pleased with a draw at Stamford Bridge. 8 points from the first 5 games is decent enough.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2016, 09:23:55 am »
IF - and a big if - we win against Chelsea we would have had close to a dream start. 10 point from three of the most difficult away games and the champions at home would be a massive statement regardless of how the points were achieved. It is better to win against Arsenal and lose against Burnley than the other way around since we will be depriving a close rival of points.

Saying that, I'd be pleased with a draw at Stamford Bridge. 8 points from the first 5 games is decent enough.

I originally called 5 points from the opening 5 games, so to be on 7 is grand. We still need to sort consistency, but if we play with the confidence we had against Leicester, Chelsea are there for the taking. If we can take all three points, 10 points from the opening 5 games would be superb and even a draw would be fine, keeping us up with the early front runners after the most difficult set of fixtures from anybody.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2016, 10:17:31 am »
As a means of keeping within the blocks to keep the thread making sense, why not refer to this Chelsea game as block one game 5. If we want to shorten it, Derby becomes 2/1, or Block2#1. What do you think?.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:20:29 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2016, 09:55:51 pm »
10 from 15,  I'll take that
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »
10 from 15,  I'll take that

Considering that we've played 3 of the hardest away fixtures in the first 5 matches I'd say 10 out of 15 is exceptional. 

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2016, 10:05:24 pm »
Arsenal
Burnley -3
Tottenham
Leicester
Chelsea

Four of these teams need to be considered top half sides. As per usual, I expect us to beat the rest, home and away. Based on that, I expect 3 points vs Burnley. Everything else is a bonus. Meaning we have a great opportunity in those first few games. We can get off to a good start and be 'ahead of schedule'.

If we stand on 7 points after five games, that would be really good.

10! Better than I thought. Impressive start. Now for the next five:

Hull - 3
Swansea - 3
Man U -
WBA -3
Crystal P - 3

Thus, I expect 12 points from the next five. It's a crucial group of games. We need to win, win, win. If we can win the four games we need to win, things will look very promising.