Author Topic: PHILIPPE COUTINHO: THE MAN WHO ESCAPED PURGATORY  (Read 147971 times)

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
Re: PHILIPPE COUTINHO: THE MAN WHO ESCAPED PURGATORY
« Reply #800 on: October 23, 2016, 01:46:24 pm »
I remember hearing his name years ago when he first moved from brazil to europe and thinking, another brazilian wonderkid, another mercurial attacker, another player that we would never in a million years attempt to sign because, simply, these weren't the types of we'd ever go for...

fast forward 5 years and every club in the league is watching his performances enviously. I think we're now seeing a player who just knows he's better than his opponents and consequently tries to dominate as soon as the whistle blows.
He also now has a perfect supporting cast around him, with pace and technical skill who he can trust, in stark contrast to recent years.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #801 on: October 24, 2016, 01:55:05 am »
Writing his name as the latest in a long chapter of LFCs most memorable stalwarts. Has prob surpassed Xabi's contribution now for me (lacking trophies to show for it sadly) and perhaps even Torres. In recent years only Gerrard/Suarez and perhaps Torres really have a shout on being remembered with greater acclaim imho.

In no particular order Suarez/Gerrard/Torres/Coutinho/Xabi/Masch/Sami/Reina are my pick of the recent bunch

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #802 on: October 24, 2016, 02:08:05 am »
Writing his name as the latest in a long chapter of LFCs most memorable stalwarts. Has prob surpassed Xabi's contribution now for me (lacking trophies to show for it sadly) and perhaps even Torres. In recent years only Gerrard/Suarez and perhaps Torres really have a shout on being remembered with greater acclaim imho.

In no particular order Suarez/Gerrard/Torres/Coutinho/Xabi/Masch/Sami/Reina are my pick of the recent bunch

Alonso is way ahead of Torres for me. We were in the CL every year he was with us.

Coutinho's an interesting one, because we've only had a single season in the CL in his time with us, plus one title challenge in which he was probably the fifth most influential player behind Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling/Gerrard. He's really stepped it up in the last couple of seasons, but I think he'll need to win a couple of trophies to cement his place in the club's memory. I think if we have him for 2-3 more seasons, his place in our history will be assured.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:23 am »
best transfer - quality and money wise this club done in decades.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: October 24, 2016, 02:48:20 am »
Alonso is way ahead of Torres for me. We were in the CL every year he was with us.

Coutinho's an interesting one, because we've only had a single season in the CL in his time with us, plus one title challenge in which he was probably the fifth most influential player behind Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling/Gerrard. He's really stepped it up in the last couple of seasons, but I think he'll need to win a couple of trophies to cement his place in the club's memory. I think if we have him for 2-3 more seasons, his place in our history will be assured.

I think people are underestimating his role in the title challenge by a long way. The big three back then was Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho. Gerrard had a sort of renaissance that year when surrounded by the running of Henderson, Allen etc. Sterling did really well too but have a look at most of his goals and you'll see they're tap ins following some cutting through ball from deep that released Suarez/Sturridge who usually crossed it for one or the other.

A lot of the play was going through Coutinho and Gerrard who were playing deeper and in a sense making the team tick. There are some that like to claim that Sturridge or Sterling were the "most important" player in the run in. That couldn't be further away from the truth. The most important player by a mile was Suarez. The others were all vital cast members, but within those, it was clear who our "big three" were. There were numerous stats about how many goals Liverpool scored when they were all available and when they were not. People forget this for some reason.

Evidence since Suarez's departure and our subsequent performances show who the players looked up to when things got tough. Stevie and Carra have spoken about how Coutinho had taken over Suarez's mantle as the go-to guy in the team. There's no question to me who our best player since Suarez's departure is. There never has been and I think the debate is well and truly settled by now.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: October 24, 2016, 06:31:26 am »

Bargain-basement dross.  You want top quality you've gotta pay for it.  Just look at Pogba. 

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #806 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:19 am »
On par.

My expectations of him are high so it takes a lot to get me excited.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: October 24, 2016, 09:50:26 am »
He was magical today and his part in the first goal so crucial and beautifully done.

In a LFC season that has already seen some nice goals, assists and moves, the dummy from Phil for the first goal on Saturday is my favourite of all of them.

Unbelievable bit of vision and skill.

No offence to Brendan in regards to the Suarez situation, but I just can't see many players heading for Spain with Klopp in charge. I just can't.  LFC just need to make sure we pay the lad enough money and I'm sure Phil will be going nowhere.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #808 on: October 24, 2016, 09:56:49 am »
8.5 million for this sweet, humble kid. Great team mate, and an even better professional. Proper Liverpool player.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: October 24, 2016, 09:57:06 am »
Coutinho's an interesting one, because we've only had a single season in the CL in his time with us, plus one title challenge in which he was probably the fifth most influential player behind Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling/Gerrard.

Don't really agree with this but I think we were in the same debate at the time as well so no surprises there :).

Gerrard and Sterling were important no doubt, but even back then I was certainly of the opinion that it was Suarez and Coutinho really taking us to the next level, with Sturridge being clinical when presented the chances (and really keeping us in with a shout), Sterling & Henderson giving us a fantastic outlet, and Gerrard stepping up many times when needed (especially from the penalty spot). Not to underestimate the contribution of Glen Johnson, Flanagan, and Lucas as well.

But as I say, even then I felt that the quality of Suarez and Coutinho was really the secret sauce of our success :)

Standing up and being noticed this season though, no doubt

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #810 on: October 24, 2016, 10:38:11 am »
Ta Rafa Lad...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #811 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:22 am »
Ta Rafa Lad...

Who signed him at Inter? Please, please let it be Mourinho.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #812 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:59 am »
Much better from the left. Gives us an extra man in midfield when he naturally drops deep while also getting him in more dangerous attacking positions, which is important as he has become one of our more clinical players.

Hopefully people can stop harking back to 13-14 now when he was our least effective player in the front six anyway.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #813 on: October 24, 2016, 10:44:10 am »
Who signed him at Inter? Please, please let it be Mourinho.

Sure was.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: October 24, 2016, 12:43:06 pm »
Mourinho left the summer that Coutinho finally arrived. Probbaly wouldn't have used him properly

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: October 24, 2016, 01:40:52 pm »
He might have sold him after one year to Wolfsburg or somebody.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: October 24, 2016, 02:01:58 pm »
Ta Rafa Lad...

Sure was.
Mourinho left the summer that Coutinho finally arrived. Probbaly wouldn't have used him properly

Rafa was manager when Inter signed him. Stramaccioni was manager when Inter sold him to us.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #817 on: October 24, 2016, 02:09:40 pm »
In a LFC season that has already seen some nice goals, assists and moves, the dummy from Phil for the first goal on Saturday is my favourite of all of them.

Unbelievable bit of vision and skill.

No offence to Brendan in regards to the Suarez situation, but I just can't see many players heading for Spain with Klopp in charge. I just can't.  LFC just need to make sure we pay the lad enough money and I'm sure Phil will be going nowhere.

I've only seen that goal on a mobile screen. But it's a goal of beauty, gain a few yards from the full back, dummy, draw a few defenders, play it out wide, draw more defenders,, put it on a sixpence and BOOM. 1-0. Game plan destroyed, it's time to fear a mauling.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Kenneth the Messiah

• Kemlynite
« Reply #818 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:57 pm »
I've only seen that goal on a mobile screen. But it's a goal of beauty, gain a few yards from the full back, dummy, draw a few defenders, play it out wide, draw more defenders,, put it on a sixpence and BOOM. 1-0. Game plan destroyed, it's time to fear a mauling.
He doesn't score easy goals does he 8)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #819 on: October 24, 2016, 06:55:28 pm »
Rafa was manager when Inter signed him. Stramaccioni was manager when Inter sold him to us.

Why spoil the fantasy with pesky facts? :)

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:55 pm »
Writing his name as the latest in a long chapter of LFCs most memorable stalwarts. Has prob surpassed Xabi's contribution now
eh, nahh Xabi was instrumental in us winning 4 trophies

for me (lacking trophies to show for it sadly)
well id be interested in hearing how exactly you value his contribution when there are no trophies to show for it.

Gerrard is no.1 no question
Xabi and Sami, then Reina and Masch.
Coutinho is the only one playing for us and very much might win us trophies but theres no guarantee of that yet. 
lastly Suarez and Torres (gone with no honours, sadly).

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: October 24, 2016, 08:30:30 pm »
I think he is a season away from turning world class i.e. top few in the world in his position.

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
« Reply #822 on: October 24, 2016, 08:56:53 pm »
Needs two full seasons at his current level  to be considered top top class due to his previous inconsistency, but Klopp is just the guy to get him there.

Don't think he's on Xabi's level as some are suggesting, but end of season he'll be higher-fucking love the lad!

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #823 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:33 pm »
Suarez won the league cup with Kenny, didn't he?

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: October 24, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »
Suarez won the league cup with Kenny, didn't he?
Yes.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: October 24, 2016, 10:54:56 pm »
Yes.

my bad, hes a step ahead of Torres then.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2016, 12:42:39 am »
my bad, hes a step ahead of Torres then.

Not ahead of Torres yet - let's be reasonable here. Torres was close to being the world's best striker, and everything he touched turned to gold when he was in his pomp.

But no doubts, if Phil continues as he is, the sky is the limit.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2016, 01:16:11 am »
the all caps in the title of the thread hurts my eyes every time I see it

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: October 25, 2016, 02:33:48 am »
Not ahead of Torres yet - let's be reasonable here. Torres was close to being the world's best striker, and everything he touched turned to gold when he was in his pomp.

But no doubts, if Phil continues as he is, the sky is the limit.

i was referring to Suarez, as in he won a trophy with us and thus is a step ahead of Torres in having achieved something here.
Torres was indeed like you say, close to being the best striker in the world for a while playing for us, but it brought us nought.

Coutinho is magic, for me he is in the top 10, possibly 5, best AMs in the world. but its good for nothing aside from the joy he brings come matchday.
unless he delivers silverware.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:36:11 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2016, 05:39:22 am »
Coutinho is magic, for me he is in the top 10, possibly 5, best AMs in the world. but its good for nothing aside from the joy he brings come matchday.
unless he delivers silverware.

That's not how I assess the quality of a player (clearly given our conversation in this thread to date) but fair enough.

"Worth nought" is grossly unfair on a player that could quite easily walk into another team and achieve just that. In fact, I think the loyalty means it's worth even more!

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: October 25, 2016, 07:24:25 am »

Coutinho has been a very important, quality, good value and successful transfer for us, but I would still put Suarez, Torres and Xabi ahead of him still in terms of best transfers. Torres was the best striker possibly int he world for a season ro two when he was at his peak with us, while Xabi was the best anchor "quarterback" midfielder. Suarez was simply the best striker that we have possibly ever had playing for this club. 

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: October 25, 2016, 08:23:24 am »

I reckon Suarez but wouldn't argue with Coutinho. Matip might have this sown up in a few years though

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: October 25, 2016, 12:21:06 pm »
Good shout on Suarez. Probably has surprised even more. On pure price/value terms though, I reckon Coutinho must be close if not as good.

We got them around the same time too

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: October 25, 2016, 03:52:02 pm »
I reckon Suarez but wouldn't argue with Coutinho. Matip might have this sown up in a few years though

Markus Babbel :) He will never be beaten for value.

Actually strike that ... Sami Hyypia ;D I thought Willem II was his agent when we signed him.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline rastaferio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #834 on: October 28, 2016, 03:20:19 pm »
Don't really agree with this but I think we were in the same debate at the time as well so no surprises there :).

Gerrard and Sterling were important no doubt, but even back then I was certainly of the opinion that it was Suarez and Coutinho really taking us to the next level, with Sturridge being clinical when presented the chances (and really keeping us in with a shout), Sterling & Henderson giving us a fantastic outlet, and Gerrard stepping up many times when needed (especially from the penalty spot). Not to underestimate the contribution of Glen Johnson, Flanagan, and Lucas as well.

But as I say, even then I felt that the quality of Suarez and Coutinho was really the secret sauce of our success :)

Standing up and being noticed this season though, no doubt

His goal against City that year still gives me the chills

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #835 on: October 28, 2016, 03:30:12 pm »

Wow, and what a team that would have been as well;

Reina
     Sami

Masch
Xabi    Gerrard

Phil      Suarez
    Torres
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #836 on: October 28, 2016, 03:37:47 pm »
Wow, and what a team that would have been as well;

Reina
     Sami

Masch
Xabi    Gerrard

Phil      Suarez
    Torres

Could well throw Matip in there as well, seeing as he was free.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #837 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:22 pm »
When Carragher is warming to Coutinho then you know the kid has progressed.

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #838 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:54 pm »
When Carragher is warming to Coutinho then you know the kid has progressed.
What's carra said?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #839 on: October 28, 2016, 11:01:54 pm »
What's carra said?
"There used to be a time when I would roll my eyes. Philippe Coutinho’s name would be mentioned alongside a team such as Real Madrid but I never took it seriously.

Now look at him. Coutinho has become one of the stars of the Premier League, the driving force behind Liverpool’s impressive early form and the key to them sustaining what could yet become a challenge for the title. I’m not rolling my eyes any longer."