Author Topic: Come on Michael  (Read 4896 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Come on Michael
« on: August 9, 2004, 06:27:13 pm »
All this talk of whether Michael will or not be at Anfield for the coming season really is frustrating, everything I know about the lad indicates that he is as honest and truthful as the day is long. He has said that he is very closing to signing and I have no reason to doubt this.

The Houllier years were built on a solid defence and ally to that an attacking formula built on the strengths of Michael Owen, probably our best player since Barnes. Owen’s pace and finishing could bury even the best organised of teams, and Houllier immediately identified this as the quality he could build on at Anfield. His braces at Cardiff and Roma were amongst the finest in Liverpool FC history, and his hat-trick in Munich was made in Melwood.

He was more important to the team than anybody else defining the way we played, so it is possible that the new manager is looking toward something different, but even if this is the case I think that it is so unfair for Liverpool fans to continually jump on a bandwagon and criticise Michael.

There have been many clubs who would have paid enormous sums for Michael’s signature over a period of time. He could have chosen anywhere after the World Cup 98, when clubs were willing to pay substantial amounts just to buy first option clauses on him. After his escapades in 2001, the year when he was voted European Footballer of the Year, the story was the same.

He has only ever shown loyalty towards the club and continually stated that he will not leave on a Bosman. Let’s be honest about this a player of Michael’s age and undoubted quality could easily sit down and bide a year away, leaving for the money- he won’t do that, end of. 

I would hate it if Michael left, more because I believe that he will only leave if he feels he cannot succeed in his ultimate ambition of being part of a successful team with Liverpool, I can’t believe he will leave for the financial rewards. He is happy domestically at Liverpool, very close to his family and having recently become a father. His two closest friends in football have recently signed for the club.

The only reasons Michael will leave are if he feels we cannot be successful or if Rafa decides to move in a different direction. I hope and believe that Michael will extend his time at Anfield. If he decides not to or if the club decide the time is right for him to go, it will never take away from the contribution he has given to the club, nor the loyalty he has shown, during times of adversity and to all intensive purposes, to his own detriment.

Yes he has been well rewarded financially for his efforts and the club have been loyal during times of injury, which have been more frequent than any of us would have liked, but he could have received those rewards at numerous destinations.

Given the speculation, and I know it has come from some informed sources, including people within the club, there is no doubt that Michael’s hand is being forced, he will have to come out and say something, one way or another, hopefully putting pen to paper. Perhaps this is the intention, maybe it was an unwanted distraction for Rafa in the lead up to his first competitive game in charge.

Whatever happens in the next week will never take away from what he has done in the past and he will remain a legend of Liverpool Football Club.

Come on Michael, you know it makes sense!

© john_mac 2004
« Last Edit: August 9, 2004, 10:23:11 pm by Rushian »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Pheeny

Re: Come on Michael
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2004, 06:34:57 pm »
Thanks John I wish I could write down what I thought as good as you.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2004, 06:35:20 pm »
A good read. Very well said as per usual.

I feel worst thing about Michael Owen is that he will forever live amongst the shadow of Robbie Fowler. Not due to his talent or on field achievements but due to his relationship with the supporters which is a bit sketchy considering all that he has given us over the last 6/7 years. I'm of the opinion Michael will never get the credit and adulation he deserves until a few seasons after he leaves us for Spain/Italy and that is a crying shame because he seems a good honest, ambitious and dedicated footballer. Gut feeling is he will sign an extension and stay for another 2/3 seasons as was expected but if he goes now then he should go with the blessings of all Liverpool supporters and not the criticism and vilification that is bound to come his way from some sections of the support. As far as I'm concerned, Owen has given his all to LFC and owes us nothing.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2004, 06:36:16 pm »
John you have got that spot on mate,just been listening to Legends on Century and some nobhead has just give him loads humming and harring over this contract etc what a tosser,he even made a statement the radio show would not get one call in support for Michael,and he has also got in the way of Milan Baros's  future :no :no
Must have been a blue twat or he is soft in the head.

:wave
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2004, 06:41:09 pm »

Given the speculation, and I know it has come from some informed sources, including people within the club, there is no doubt that Michael’s hand is being forced, he will have to come out and say something, one way or another, hopefully putting pen to paper. Perhaps this is the intention, maybe it was an unwanted distraction for Rafa in the lead up to his first competitive game in charge.

Whatever happens in the next week will never take away from what he has done in the past and he will remain a legend of Liverpool Football Club.

Come on Michael, you know it makes sense!

Exactly my take on this John.  I truly hope he signs for us.

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2004, 06:51:55 pm »
Why wouldn't he sign? We'll play better football this season, which will be great for Owen's game. Agree that Owen has shown nothing but loyalty to the club. He's always been a top pro and IMO he's always been underrated by a lot of people.

Hope he stays and gives Benitez a chance. I believe it will great for Owen. Now is not the time to leave.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2004, 07:07:05 pm »
Very good points, im praying he doesnt go but IF he does he will leave with nothing but my utmost gratitude and respect for what he has done for the club.
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2004, 07:28:14 pm »
Well said John. I totally agree with yer. Owen has carried us for a good number of years yet I still dont understand why a significant section of our fans dont give him the vocal support he clearly warrants.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 9, 2004, 07:30:57 pm »
Spot on John. Ive been away from RAWK for a while but glad to see that you are keeping some common sense on these pages. Keep writing the articles that we all wish we could write so well. :)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2004, 09:05:48 pm »

There have been many clubs who would have paid enormous sums for Michael’s signature over a period of time. He could have chosen anywhere after the World Cup 98, when clubs were willing to pay substantial amounts just to buy first option clauses on him. After his escapades in 2001, the year when he was voted European footballer of the year, the story was the same.

Seem to remember that Lazio did that very thing (the first refusal clause)- around £3mill?
Or did I dream that?
Great article by the way
« Last Edit: August 9, 2004, 09:13:00 pm by hooded claw »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2004, 10:02:44 pm »

I would hate it if Michael left, more coz I believe that he will only leave if he feels he cannot succeed in his ultimate ambition of being part of a successful team with Liverpool, I can’t believe he will leave for the financial rewards. He is happy domestically at Liverpool, very close to his family and having recently become a father. His two closest friends in football have recently signed for the club.

Couldn't agree more, I sense another Press Conference shortly...

RP: Well, here we are again. Not to anounce the signing of a player, but to announce that one of our players is NOT leaving...

Offline Descartes

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2004, 10:30:57 pm »
The point made is well taken and maybe john is in a better position to know the real truth than people like me. However, I'm afraid I am a bit more cynical about the whole on off saga and the way its been played out

Cant remember precisely when the original set of negotiations were first mooted but it must be close on to at least a year ago. Since then there's been delay after delay interspersed with media speculation and hype that has created an unsettling environment which hardly helped the team last season or the position of the previous manager.

We are told he loves the club, we are told that money is not the problem, we now have a new manager in place with an impressive track record, we've signed a potential partner in Cisse who comes with a big reputation and we have in Baros the golden boot winner. We also have the prospect of Champions league football once again - so what exactly are the problems which cause further delay? God knows after a year of negotiations it must be done a death by now

Houllier told us he was sure Michael would sign months ago then it was to be before the Euro 2004 competition then immediately after it, now probably before the start of the season. Then again everythings okay theres no rush....WHAT???

If I was cynical I might feel that this could be construed as a 'I'm a world class striker get me out of here' type thing. The original post sounds reasonable but the whole saga has left me really cold about this lad and his agents I'm afraid

Offline spam337

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2004, 10:40:57 pm »
Many good points, but i get the feeling Benitez is very much his own man, and he will not let Owen believe he is the first choice striker.
I reckon Owen will be out of Anfield sooner than we think as Benitez will not carry on with GH castoffs and with this Contract situation Michael is not helping himself at all.
We want success at Anfield as much as any player, but i do feel rather insulted when you get these type of players using this Success and ambition thing as a Pawn so they can get a move.
Benitez needs fund so he can assemble his own squad and if this means him having to sell off popular players with the fans he will, just ask Murphy. Benitez was praising him throughout the recent USA tour as a intelligent player. Next minute he accepts a bid from Spurs, either Benitez is Stupid or he has very big Balls and in my opinion its the latter

Bloke

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 06:22:50 pm »
Thanks John Mac, a due recognition of a true LFC legend.