Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2015-16  (Read 223514 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2015-16
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2015, 12:10:15 am »
not sure whether the league is tougher or everyone is still finding their feet.
I was wondering this. Both I suspect. Surely with the TV money now some of the smaller teams will become better? I guess we'll see what the final points totals are, probably the same as usual, but wonder if we'll see a lower winners total moving forwards.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:48 am »
The thirteen teams that “qualify” for inclusion in Prof’s APLT model.
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2015, 10:05:09 am »
And yet  it'll be the same 6 that will feature later in the season. Finances function as a sort of meta-Alternative Premier League.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2015, 11:10:44 am »
Nice work

Thanks for sharing

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2015, 03:50:21 pm »

Nice addition to the thread. I wouldn't mind seeing this for all 20 teams then we can see who's likely to be relegated too if you can be arsed.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »
Nice addition to the thread. I wouldn't mind seeing this for all 20 teams then we can see who's likely to be relegated too if you can be arsed.
The further you go down the league, the less valid this approach becomes.  I might be worth looking at a model for lower half of the league teams.  I think we discussed it a few seasons ago.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2015, 06:06:09 pm »
The further you go down the league, the less valid this approach becomes.  I might be worth looking at a model for lower half of the league teams.  I think we discussed it a few seasons ago.

Surely an Everton fan has looked into this?  ;D

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:37 pm »
I think a par of 47 to finish 11th (win the bottom half of the league  ;)) would be a decent benchmark.  Looking at it, I'd probably look at;

7 home wins
12 home draws

(33 points from home)

14 away draws

(14 points from away)

I'd then factor in a 0.25 point drop per match for the relagation line (-9.5 or 37.5 points by the end of the season)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #168 on: September 1, 2015, 01:01:34 am »
How about a relegation one?. 10 easiest always have draw as a par, 10 easiest homes have par 3. That is 40 points, the traditional safety point. If you are positive on that par, you are on course to stay up.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 1, 2015, 07:43:01 pm »
How about a relegation one?. 10 easiest always have draw as a par, 10 easiest homes have par 3. That is 40 points, the traditional safety point. If you are positive on that par, you are on course to stay up.
That's an option.

Teams that miss the drop look like they get about 10 wins a season, so that fits.  Makes sense to say they'll be all at home, even if we know this unlikely in practice.

The share of the draws maybe needs to be weighted more to home matches though.  Draw away at 11 above draw at home to 10 for example is a difficult one to justify.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #170 on: September 2, 2015, 02:52:44 am »
That's an option.

Teams that miss the drop look like they get about 10 wins a season, so that fits.  Makes sense to say they'll be all at home, even if we know this unlikely in practice.

The share of the draws maybe needs to be weighted more to home matches though.  Draw away at 11 above draw at home to 10 for example is a difficult one to justify.
Perhaps something like
10 wins at home to the bottom 10 teams previous season = 30 points
5 draws away to the bottom 5 = 5 points
5 draws at home to the 5 teams above the bottom 10 = 5
= total of 40 points

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #171 on: September 2, 2015, 03:36:32 am »
Or some could take a look at the records of the teams that finished in 17th place over, say 20 seasons, then compute averages or means in WLDs
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #172 on: September 2, 2015, 05:32:57 pm »
The current graph only has us and city above the top 4 line. That has cheered me up a lot! Thanks Prof!
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #173 on: September 3, 2015, 03:29:20 pm »
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 3, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »
The current graph only has us and city above the top 4 line. That has cheered me up a lot! Thanks Prof!

How?

Clearly i really don't understand the alternative PL table nonsense.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #175 on: September 3, 2015, 07:05:14 pm »
Have you tried?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #176 on: September 4, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »

:wellin

Must be some effort that. I'll have to throw you some beer money at the end of the season if you keep it up!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #177 on: September 4, 2015, 01:34:04 pm »

Nice work. I'm sure you have thought of this, but for teams outside the top 13 last season, there should still only be twelve par one matches.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #178 on: September 5, 2015, 01:42:50 pm »
:wellin

Must be some effort that. I'll have to throw you some beer money at the end of the season if you keep it up!

:thumbup

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #179 on: September 5, 2015, 01:47:49 pm »
Nice work. I'm sure you have thought of this, but for teams outside the top 13 last season, there should still only be twelve par one matches.

Correct.  Hence why I initially only expanded Prof’s table to include the teams finishing in log positions 1 to 13 (inclusive) from last year’s Premier League Table.

Having been requested to include all 20 teams I used the following rationale.

Prof’s premise has always been that in order for a team to tally 90 log points in the season, they need to win their 19 Home matches (19 x 3 = 57) plus the seven easiest Away matches (7 x 3 = 21) and draw their remaining 12 Away matches (12 x 1 = 12), resulting in a total tally of 90 log points.  Given that Prof has always limited his APLT analysis to the “top” seven teams, the seven easiest Away matches have naturally been those teams finishing in log positions 14 to 20 (inclusive) from last year’s Premier League Table. [3 relegated teams replaced with 3 promoted teams].

However, now that we wish to include the last seven teams from last year in Prof’s APLT analysis the points tally will compute as follows; (19 x 3 = 57) + (6 x 3 = 18) + (13 x 1 = 13) resulting in a total tally of 88 log points.

This is ‘workable’ but if the APLT methodology is confusing to a large number now, it will cause much gnashing of teeth if we were to introduce a total par tally of 90 for thirteen teams and another total par tally of 88 for seven teams.

So, keeping in mind Prof’s founding principle that in order for a team to win the title that team needs to tally 90 log points, I have simply introduced the following caveat to my APLT logic.

In order for a team to tally 90 log points in the season, they need to win their 19 Home matches plus the seven easiest Away matches, (the three promoted teams and the four lowest ranked teams excluding oneself, from the previous season) and draw their remaining Away matches.

The resultant effect being that teams 1 to 12 need to only draw Away to the team that finished in 13th position (West Brom) last year, while teams 14 to 20 need to win against West Brom.

Teams 1 to 13: (19 x 3 = 57) + (7 x 3 = 21) + (12 x 1 = 12) = 90
Teams 14 to 20: (19 x 3 = 57) + (7 x 3 = 21) + (12 x 1 = 12) = 90

We are now back to square one and all 20 teams can be included.

I know…. clear as mud!

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #180 on: September 5, 2015, 02:18:24 pm »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 5, 2015, 02:48:37 pm »
Good work! And that does seem like the most logical solution.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 6, 2015, 01:14:16 am »
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the work put in here. I've only just come across this thread for the first time; I used to read the title and assume it was a "what if" sort of shindig. Really appreciate the analysis and the different perspective it forces one to examine results through.

Brilliant stuff. Cheers.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 6, 2015, 09:15:27 am »
It'll be interesting looking at the lower ranked teams using this model, but I don't think it's as good an indicator the further down the league you go.

It's a model based on winning the league, so by definition, there aren't many matches where dropping points is 'acceptable'.

Teams looking to avoid the drop will have lots of matches where they 'have nothing to lose' or where a draw is 'dream land'.  Their bread and butter should be home matches particularly against teams in the bottom half.

Using the aplt for teams at the bottom will treat home matches against the best and worst teams the same.  In reality, winning 10 home matches is almost enough to keep you up on their own.  Draws against top half teams will be good results.

If people are interested, I'll try to find time to develop an APLT Relegation Edition.  I'm torn between using 40 points as par or 47 as par.  If I was working with a club, I wouldn't aim for 40, but 47.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 7, 2015, 06:34:26 pm »
For the last 20 seasons, 17th place:

Points:  Average 38.35, Mean (exclude top bottom 10%) 38.28, Mode 38
GD:  Average -20.25, Mean -20.28, Mode -22

If anything, the trend for points for survival has been averaging lower at 37.2 pts these last 10 seasons down from 39.5 pts the previous 10 seasons.

Here's a Google spreadsheet that I've put together about 17th place:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1unaehMnE3ZWAbcjt2PAsMhEkc_lvC-eEY9jMBjszq-Q/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: September 7, 2015, 06:36:38 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 7, 2015, 08:30:46 pm »

Nice swan! Thanks.

Now for the entire league ;D
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 8, 2015, 10:43:53 am »
Perhaps something like
10 wins at home to the bottom 10 teams previous season = 30 points
5 draws away to the bottom 5 = 5 points
5 draws at home to the 5 teams above the bottom 10 = 5
= total of 40 points

What's that based on? Statistical analysis of previous seasons?  Or plucked from the air?  ;)
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 8, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
What's that based on? Statistical analysis of previous seasons?  Or plucked from the air?  ;)

I would expect any serious analysis would soon show that it's almost impossible to predict which games teams will pick up points in at the lower end of the table. For title contenders, it's a lot easier because they will win the majority of matches, but getting forty points from 38 games has a far wider margin of error.

The APLT does at least provide a blueprint showing which games should be easier to win, although I doubt that many sides that finished 17th would come close to following that method.

It's an interesting project and might be of some interest but it is unlikely to ever match the elegance of the APLT as we know it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #188 on: September 8, 2015, 04:00:17 pm »

What an enormous chance the United game is to open a gap. A win puts us on +1 and drops United to -6.

Also Chelsea and City have tough games away at Everton and Palace respectively (both par 1's), so it's not unfeasible that the table could look like this by the end of the weekend (Arsenal should win vs Stoke at home):

City +3
Liverpool +1
Arsenal -3
Chelsea -5
United -6

It's probably unlikely that both Chelsea and City lose, but regardless, opening a 7 point gap on United to effectively push them to 5th place in the top-4-chasing mini-league would be massive, even if the gap in the real table would only be 3 points.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2015, 04:02:56 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 8, 2015, 07:13:10 pm »
I would expect the relegation endangered clubs to take points off of each other.

No point speculating, if someone gets some time, do an actual study.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »
The APLT weekend preview is here.

With the nonsense of the international break now behind us, and with nothing of any interest having happened in football over the last two weeks as a consequence, we're all desperate for some football as the nascent Premier League season gets back on track.

And what a feast the APLT serves up this weekend.

First off, Cheeky Champions Chelsea chase chances to choke the chaos that has characterised their charge to the championship this season. The Russian crime-ring laundry service visit Everton in a par 1 game without the services of their talismanic keeper Courtois.
The Toffees have started solidly this season, and much will be made of their decision to retain the services of John Stones, who will now be employed to keep his admirers off the score sheet. Chelsea have struggled in their fixtures so far, with just a solitary win away to West Brom. On form, Everton have this in the bag. Their only defeat has come against Manchester City, and they already look a more convincing outfit than the one that lost just five home games last season.

It's a big Par 1 for Chelsea, who will need to rediscover their usual form and make some progress back towards the 0 line of the APLT.

Chelsea win: CHE -2
Draw: CHE -4
Everton win: CHE -5

Arsenal entertain Stoke in a Par 3 game at the Emirates, with the Potters yet to win a game this season, despite boasting some serious quality options in attack, added to their traditionally miserly defence. The balance has yet to be struck, it seems, and with just five away wins under their belts last season, the Emirates looks an unlikely place for that to happen, despite Arsenal's own slow start and the Gunners will be looking for their first home win before their fans start the annual "should we sack Wenger" debate early.

Arsenal win: ARS -3
Draw: ARS -5
Stoke win: ARS -6

APLT leaders Manchester City, meanwhile, travel to Crystal Palace, hoping to preserve their 100% start to the campaign. It's first v second in the trad table, and conventional wisdom tells us Palace will only be moving in one direction from there. A credible top half finish for Palace last term saw them lose just six games on the road throughout last season, though, and coming off the back of a rare away victory at Stamford Bridge, Pardew's lads should not be overawed by the occasion in front of their own fans. It's a winnable Par 1 game on paper, but the APLT tells us City will do well to come away with the draw.

Manchester City win: MNC +6
Draw: MNC +4
Palace win: MNC +3

Southampton visit West Brom in a bid to claw back APLT respectability. It's the softest Par 1 on the fixture list, and the Saints will want very badly to improve on their -7 APLT points with a win. The Baggies were beaten on eight separate occasions at home last season, and have yet to win a home league match this term, although with Chelsea and Manchester City the only visitors so far, that may be less telling than it looks.

Southampton win: SOT -5
Draw: SOT -7
West Brom win: SOT -8

The biggest game of the weekend is in Manchester, where Liverpool make the short journey to visit fierce rivals Manchester United. There's little that hasn't already been said about this fixture, but Brendan Rodgers' team will be looking at the APLT table with a smile, knowing that this is a fragile Man United who could well be there for the taking. The Red Devils lost just three games at the Theatre of Tantrums last season, and while their last home appearance saw them grind out a draw with Newcastle, this is a different game entirely. Liverpool's bright start was cut short with a frustrating home loss to West Ham United before the break, and the reds will be hoping for a performance closer to that they gave against Arsenal. It's a par 1 for Liverpool, a par 3 for Man Utd, and Liverpool fans probably won't be content with the knowledge that they will remain above their horrible foes in the APLT regardless of the result, when a win could open a seven point gap.

Man Utd win: MNU -3 LFC -2
Draw: MNU -5 LFC -1
Liverpool win: MNU -6 LFC +1

And finally, bottom-lurking Spurs take the long road North to Sunderland on Sunday, like a bunch of rapists from King's Landing, sent off to take the black, join the Night's Watch and live short and violent lives of celibacy. (Harry Kane never looks like scoring again anyway.) At least the Wildlings of the SPL aren't expected to invade this weekend.
Tottenham's deficiencies have been much pored over in recent weeks, but it's always funny to do so again. The Spurs sit 16th in the trad table with successive draws against Leicester, Stoke and Everton in their last three league outings representing their only points of the campaign. The fact Sunderland could only win four games last season, and now occupy the bottom spot of the trad table should raise the hopes of Tottenham supporters, which is always funny later if they are dashed again cruely.

This, of course, is a Par 3 game, and if Spurs don't win it, harsh questions will certainly be asked on Match of the Day 2. Probably by Garth. He loves asking those hard questions. It gives him an excuse to wag his finger and try to sound ominous. And given his beloved Tottenham could end the weekend on -10 APLT points, he might well have a point for once. (Even if he is unlikely to make it in any coherent manner.)

Tottenham win: SPU -7
Draw: SPU -9
Sunderland win: SPU -10

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2015, 06:51:17 pm »
 :wellin :wellin :wellin

And finally, bottom-lurking Spurs take the long road North to Sunderland on Sunday, like a bunch of rapists from King's Landing, sent off to take the black, join the Night's Watch and live short and violent lives of celibacy. (Harry Kane never looks like scoring again anyway.) At least the Wildlings of the SPL aren't expected to invade this weekend.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2015, 12:40:57 am »
I would expect any serious analysis would soon show that it's almost impossible to predict which games teams will pick up points in at the lower end of the table. For title contenders, it's a lot easier because they will win the majority of matches, but getting forty points from 38 games has a far wider margin of error.

The APLT does at least provide a blueprint showing which games should be easier to win, although I doubt that many sides that finished 17th would come close to following that method.

It's an interesting project and might be of some interest but it is unlikely to ever match the elegance of the APLT as we know it.

I'm a Mathematican, we're pedants by nature, hence the  ;).
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2015, 03:25:11 am »
Plucked from the air  8)

But I don't think 40 points is a bad cut off point for safety.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2015, 02:47:51 pm »
Oof, big old kick in the swingers for Mourinho there. Chelsea all over the place and Everton making a strong case for their return to the APLT.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2015, 03:06:13 pm »
Oof, big old kick in the swingers for Mourinho there. Chelsea all over the place and Everton making a strong case for their return to the APLT.
Only -1

They've had three par one matches in the first five.  They won't look as bad here as the real table.  What's interesting is how much the real table affects confidence etc and that of opponents.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2015, 04:53:04 pm »
The APLT weekend preview is here.

With the nonsense of the international break now behind us, and with nothing of any interest having happened in football over the last two weeks as a consequence, we're all desperate for some football as the nascent Premier League season gets back on track.

And what a feast the APLT serves up this weekend.

First off, Cheeky Champions Chelsea chase chances to choke the chaos that has characterised their charge to the championship this season. The Russian crime-ring laundry service visit Everton in a par 1 game without the services of their talismanic keeper Courtois.
The Toffees have started solidly this season, and much will be made of their decision to retain the services of John Stones, who will now be employed to keep his admirers off the score sheet. Chelsea have struggled in their fixtures so far, with just a solitary win away to West Brom. On form, Everton have this in the bag. Their only defeat has come against Manchester City, and they already look a more convincing outfit than the one that lost just five home games last season.

It's a big Par 1 for Chelsea, who will need to rediscover their usual form and make some progress back towards the 0 line of the APLT.

Chelsea win: CHE -2
Draw: CHE -4
Everton win: CHE -5

Arsenal entertain Stoke in a Par 3 game at the Emirates, with the Potters yet to win a game this season, despite boasting some serious quality options in attack, added to their traditionally miserly defence. The balance has yet to be struck, it seems, and with just five away wins under their belts last season, the Emirates looks an unlikely place for that to happen, despite Arsenal's own slow start and the Gunners will be looking for their first home win before their fans start the annual "should we sack Wenger" debate early.

Arsenal win: ARS -3
Draw: ARS -5
Stoke win: ARS -6

APLT leaders Manchester City, meanwhile, travel to Crystal Palace, hoping to preserve their 100% start to the campaign. It's first v second in the trad table, and conventional wisdom tells us Palace will only be moving in one direction from there. A credible top half finish for Palace last term saw them lose just six games on the road throughout last season, though, and coming off the back of a rare away victory at Stamford Bridge, Pardew's lads should not be overawed by the occasion in front of their own fans. It's a winnable Par 1 game on paper, but the APLT tells us City will do well to come away with the draw.

Manchester City win: MNC +6
Draw: MNC +4
Palace win: MNC +3

Southampton visit West Brom in a bid to claw back APLT respectability. It's the softest Par 1 on the fixture list, and the Saints will want very badly to improve on their -7 APLT points with a win. The Baggies were beaten on eight separate occasions at home last season, and have yet to win a home league match this term, although with Chelsea and Manchester City the only visitors so far, that may be less telling than it looks.

Southampton win: SOT -5
Draw: SOT -7
West Brom win: SOT -8

The biggest game of the weekend is in Manchester, where Liverpool make the short journey to visit fierce rivals Manchester United. There's little that hasn't already been said about this fixture, but Brendan Rodgers' team will be looking at the APLT table with a smile, knowing that this is a fragile Man United who could well be there for the taking. The Red Devils lost just three games at the Theatre of Tantrums last season, and while their last home appearance saw them grind out a draw with Newcastle, this is a different game entirely. Liverpool's bright start was cut short with a frustrating home loss to West Ham United before the break, and the reds will be hoping for a performance closer to that they gave against Arsenal. It's a par 1 for Liverpool, a par 3 for Man Utd, and Liverpool fans probably won't be content with the knowledge that they will remain above their horrible foes in the APLT regardless of the result, when a win could open a seven point gap.

Man Utd win: MNU -3 LFC -2
Draw: MNU -5 LFC -1
Liverpool win: MNU -6 LFC +1

Tottenham's deficiencies have been much pored over in recent weeks, but it's always funny to do so again. The Spurs sit 16th in the trad table with successive draws against Leicester, Stoke and Everton in their last three league outings representing their only points of the campaign. The fact Sunderland could only win four games last season, and now occupy the bottom spot of the trad table should raise the hopes of Tottenham supporters, which is always funny later if they are dashed again cruely.

This, of course, is a Par 3 game, and if Spurs don't win it, harsh questions will certainly be asked on Match of the Day 2. Probably by Garth. He loves asking those hard questions. It gives him an excuse to wag his finger and try to sound ominous. And given his beloved Tottenham could end the weekend on -10 APLT points, he might well have a point for once. (Even if he is unlikely to make it in any coherent manner.)

Tottenham win: SPU -7
Draw: SPU -9
Sunderland win: SPU -10

Fantastic write up Nessy [emoji106]

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2015, 05:40:57 pm »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »
We're still 2nd!  :wellin :lmao This makes me feel slightly better
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Tumbleweed

• Anny Roader
  • Pax Bisonica
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2015, 06:30:15 pm »
Ssssh haven't you heard? Seasons over  :-[
“To wage war three things are necessary; money, money, and yet more money”
Gian-Jacopo Trivulzio, Marshall of France (1499)

"The club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club"
Jürgen Klopp (2018)