Author Topic: Tiago Ilori  (Read 45133 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Tiago Ilori
« Reply #40 on: July 3, 2015, 03:41:24 am »
I think he's the most talented young player we have behind Coutinho. Others are further ahead in development but he's got so much potential. I think injuries are the only thing stopping him from becoming a top CB, potentially he could be a 40m CB. Crazy not to develop him .
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #41 on: July 3, 2015, 04:28:22 am »
It's going to be hard for him because he doesn't seem to have the flexibility to play as a full back for example. That would help him at least secure a regular squad position, maybe a few sub appearances even a start or two. Today he looks lightweight and too much of a risk to occupy such a crucial position in the teams spine.

He didn't stand out for me in the U21, neither did he stink the place out. What he needs is a few years playing in Spain or Portugal, regularly, then come back to the prem when he is strong enough to handle it. That's what Chelsea did with Matic.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 3, 2015, 05:49:05 am »
I'm kind of baffled why some seem so keen to get rid of him, he looks a fantastic prospect and would be a better option than Lovren and is much more talented than Wisdom (to who we just gave a new contract). Granted he's had a few injuries but wouldnt it be best to let him get fit and then judge him?

Seems madness to leave him out the squad and not give him a good go in the cups.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2015, 05:51:35 am by Bunter »

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 3, 2015, 07:04:31 am »
...too much of a risk to occupy such a crucial position in the teams spine.
You may very well be right, he has very little experience and none in the premier league, but would you say he's more of a risk than Lovren and, to a lesser extent, Toure? I can't know how Ilori will perform should he be given a chance - it's very possible that he'll struggle at this level - but I'd feel more nervous seeing Lovren in the starting eleven than Ilori. It could happen, but it's difficult to imagine a defender looking more out of his depth than Lovren did last year.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #44 on: July 3, 2015, 07:16:46 am »
I really hope we will give him a chance soon. Can see him develop into a top top player.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 3, 2015, 08:10:14 am »
I think with Europa League and Skrtel/Toure in their last year of contract, now is the time to take a chance on him. We're likely going to see an overhaul at CB next summer and I'd hope we have at least looked at Ilori, Wisdom and Gomez playing a bigger role before we starting splashing the cash.
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #46 on: July 3, 2015, 08:17:59 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Skrtel just sign a new contract?? Or is it just a rumor?
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #47 on: July 3, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
Totally agree with DanA, he deserves to be kept in the squad and not loaned out.
I am surprised by all of the negativity, Gerrard also had a history of 'niggles' at that age.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: July 3, 2015, 08:42:10 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Skrtel just sign a new contract?? Or is it just a rumor?

Rumor started by fake Facebook or Twitter account I think. No new contract and if you go by Skrtel and his management teams comments it doesn't appear to be close.

*Cue for announcement immediately following this post
« Last Edit: July 3, 2015, 09:29:58 am by DanA »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #49 on: July 3, 2015, 09:11:43 am »
Expected him to be our 4th centre back for the upcoming season when the last one ended. Kolo was re-signed though and I really doubt he will be with us this year.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #50 on: July 3, 2015, 09:15:06 am »
Really think by the end of the year he'll be a starter. Really want us to give him the chance now, he's looked good when I seen him at the u21's, Bordeaux. He's tall and really quick, not a common set of features.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #51 on: July 3, 2015, 09:21:43 am »
If we choose to go three at the back I would prefer Ilori or Gomez (rather than Lovren and Tourè) with Skrtel and Sakho.
I do think one of Ilori and Gomez, maybe even both will go out on loan.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 3, 2015, 10:06:21 am »
Lots of games this season, should seehim get a few appearances

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #53 on: July 3, 2015, 10:08:17 am »
If we're going for 3 at the back again next year I think one of either Ilori or Gomez will have to stay in the squad,

As commendable as he was last year at the back, Can has to play in CM now therefore assuming first choice would be Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho that only leaves Toure in reserve to cover 3 positions. I would hope it was Ilori who stays as he's a few years ahead in his development however in saying that Gomez is more used to the English game.

Fuck it keep both

Offline flipflan

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • Back off Warchild
« Reply #54 on: July 3, 2015, 10:19:13 am »
I really want to see him at least given a chance.  If, like somebody said earlier, he's not able/doing the business by January then think again.  Too good not to be offered a chance of proving his worth.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #55 on: July 3, 2015, 10:44:26 am »
It's going to be hard for him because he doesn't seem to have the flexibility to play as a full back for example.

He played full back before we signed him.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #56 on: July 3, 2015, 10:55:51 am »
If we play three centre-backs next season there's an obvious place for him. We'd lose nothing trying him in a back three over Lovren or Bad Kolo imo. He's as talented as any player we have that age.
It's time he spent a few months at the club at the very least and was made to feel like a Liverpool player.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #57 on: July 3, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
He's 22 :shocked. for some reason I thought he was 19/20, cbs do tend to mature a little later. But he's not managed to get that much first team football so far, determining player development is always pointless but I'm struggling to see him making it here at all. Possibly another suso situation, with the player hyped up well beyond their abilities, and people questioning the manager as to why he doesn't play.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #58 on: July 3, 2015, 01:47:24 pm »
It's always difficult to give young players enough pitch time for them to develop, and CBs are probably the hardest bar goalkeepers. Illori has only played 21 matches in total on his two loans, and could really use a full season of playing every week. He won't get that here. Then again, it's also good experience to train with and against top players. 

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 3, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »
He's 22 :shocked. for some reason I thought he was 19/20, cbs do tend to mature a little later. But he's not managed to get that much first team football so far, determining player development is always pointless but I'm struggling to see him making it here at all. Possibly another suso situation, with the player hyped up well beyond their abilities, and people questioning the manager as to why he doesn't play.

He has been a starter in top division in Spain and France over the past two seasons, the only thing that has held him back is injuries. He obviously lacks a good reading of the game but that sort of thing generally develops over time. The tools this lad has makes him stand out against most CB's.

22 for CB's is not very old either, most of them don't hit top their prime till 26 or so.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #60 on: July 3, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »
Would like to see him get games ahead of both Lovren and Toure, regardless of formation. He might not handle the pressure and look out of his depth, but so did Lovren anyway, and Toure isn't much better. I think the chance of him doing well is pretty much the same as with them two, if not better. The U-21 is obviously a level down, but he looked like the right type of defender at least. Calm, composed, quick, assured on the ball. Give him a chance in the Europa League to start with, and take it from there.

This 10 times over.  :)

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 3, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
I think we have two centre backs clearly better than the rest in Sakho and Skrtel. 

After that I don't see why Ilori can't be third in line.. Have little faith in Toure and Lovren.

Can't see Ilori doing any worse than those two did last season and at least he'll benefit from the experience and will develop unlike the other two who are fully developed.  Same goes for Wisdom.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #62 on: July 3, 2015, 02:18:04 pm »
Very talented young player, needs to be given a chance or what was the point of signing him to be loaned out all the time. Should be third choice behind Sakho and Skrtel.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 3, 2015, 02:43:38 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KWyfFdzbZZw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KWyfFdzbZZw</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1GfDsCm3VLQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1GfDsCm3VLQ</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/srQ7RUUpIa0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/srQ7RUUpIa0</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #64 on: July 3, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »
He has been a starter in top division in Spain and France over the past two seasons, the only thing that has held him back is injuries. He obviously lacks a good reading of the game but that sort of thing generally develops over time. The tools this lad has makes him stand out against most CB's.

22 for CB's is not very old either, most of them don't hit top their prime till 26 or so.
I think his reading of the game is one of his strengths actually. At times he might seem like he's out of position simply because he plays the position differently from other CB's who don't have his pace. He doesn't need to drop-off early when there's a likely through-ball coming for example, so he'll look like he's reading the game slowly (compared to other CB's who drop off early and thus "read" the game) when he can recover just fine to win the ball.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #65 on: July 3, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1GfDsCm3VLQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1GfDsCm3VLQ</a>

2.32 ..  :shocked

He's basically the next Maldini.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 3, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
Hopefully we keep him here for the upcoming season and he gets a fair bit of game time. Not many CB's have his sort of pace and athleticism so the sooner he's integrated in to the squad the better.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 3, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »
Hopefully he's actually given a fair chance by Rodgers to show what he can do. If it doesn't work out then fine, but give him that opportunity to prove himself. I agree with all those saying he should be starting in the Europa league at least.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 3, 2015, 11:52:27 pm »
Incredible quickness and a very good touch.  As others have said, his reading of the game will come with age.  I'm hoping we have plans for him.  At least he's getting regular first team experience, albeit at other clubs.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 4, 2015, 12:04:00 am »
He's not better than lovren right now. Has much more talent then lovren though. I think he should go on loan for one more year. He's going to be good. But I think he's not going to play here till he's at least 24 here

Let's not forget ivanovic was near 25 before he got going at Chelsea after he moved from Russia and had not played that much
« Last Edit: July 4, 2015, 12:06:37 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 4, 2015, 12:33:31 am »

He's not better than lovren right now. Has much more talent then lovren though. I think he should go on loan for one more year. He's going to be good. But I think he's not going to play here till he's at least 24 here

Let's not forget ivanovic was near 25 before he got going at Chelsea after he moved from Russia and had not played that much

Lovren was diabolical last season, he's not better than Lovren at Southampton but he is better than Lovren at Liverpool and Lyon.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #71 on: July 4, 2015, 01:04:00 am »
He is quick, athletic and comfortable on the ball but has pretty glaring weaknesses as well, very much a work in progress and someone we need to nurture. I think he would need to improve aerially if he is to play in the premiership as a centre back and is also very very one footed so is more likely to make it as a right back or as the right side centre back in a three.

Maybe the best thing to do is to give him games pre-season, let him play the early rounds of the Europa and League Cup and then loan him out when the games grow in importance.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 4, 2015, 01:50:20 am »
He is quick, athletic and comfortable on the ball but has pretty glaring weaknesses as well, very much a work in progress and someone we need to nurture. I think he would need to improve aerially if he is to play in the premiership as a centre back and is also very very one footed so is more likely to make it as a right back or as the right side centre back in a three.

Maybe the best thing to do is to give him games pre-season, let him play the early rounds of the Europa and League Cup and then loan him out when the games grow in importance.

This I do disagree with. For me, his aerial ability is one of his stronger points. He rarely loses out in aerial challenges.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 4, 2015, 01:58:16 am »
Hope the lad does a Kurt Zouma next year.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 4, 2015, 04:03:32 am »
Hope the lad does a Kurt Zouma next year.

Break someone's leg and get banned for ten games?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 4, 2015, 07:32:29 am »
If he stays he'll be behind Skrtel, Sakho and Lovren so I can't see him getting a lot of playing time, maybe he'll be better off as a starter on loan somewhere else for another year.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #76 on: July 4, 2015, 07:40:28 am »
This I do disagree with. For me, his aerial ability is one of his stronger points. He rarely loses out in aerial challenges.

But he rarely competing with someone like Carroll, Benteke etc.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #77 on: July 4, 2015, 07:49:05 am »
I agree in part. Whilst he doesn't lose aerial duels much he often heads the ball straight to opposing players, even when uncontested. He needs to improve where he places the headers basically.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #78 on: July 4, 2015, 07:51:06 am »
If he stays he'll be behind Skrtel, Sakho and Lovren so I can't see him getting a lot of playing time, maybe he'll be better off as a starter on loan somewhere else for another year.
If he's first backup at RCB (with Lovren backup LCB) he'll get enough gametime. 6 EL games plus 2-5 league cup games is a good number of games.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #79 on: July 4, 2015, 08:01:49 am »
If he's first backup at RCB (with Lovren backup LCB) he'll get enough gametime. 6 EL games plus 2-5 league cup games is a good number of games.

But knowing BR, he will play Lovern as a back up for both LCB and RCB before using Ilori tho.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10