Author Topic: Animal Fur  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
Animal Fur
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:27:40 pm »
Didn't know where to ask this so I thought I'd drop it here. I've got a question and surely someone on here will know the answer.

Killing animals for their fur can be seen as wrong, there are arguments for and against, but what if an animal dies of natural causes, can you then use the fur, does it then become socially acceptable?

For example if a Tiger dies at a Zoo, do they just cremate everything? I got onto this when discussing Canada Goose with my dad we were asking "where do you draw the line" and I said at big cats. If you saw someone wearing a tiger skin coat I'm sure it'd be quite shocking, but if the tiger died of old age, is it wrong? That's basically my question. The Zoo could make money from it. How does that work.

Random I know. I'm just really curious and google couldn't answer me.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Animal Fur
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:41:32 pm »
The problem is that everyone would claim their fur coat is made from an animal that died of natural causes. How do you police that?

Also animals that die of old age or illness don't have the nice fur that people want to wear. You need to kill the young ones for that.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:45:01 pm »
The problem is that everyone would claim their fur coat is made from an animal that died of natural causes. How do you police that?

Also animals that die of old age or illness don't have the nice fur that people want to wear. You need to kill the young ones for that.

Surely if it comes from a Zoo you can have certificates etc. Serial numbers.

I'm just curious what they do with the animals at Zoos when they die. If they're burning Fur surely it's irresponsible. Poachers are killing animals for Fur and Zoo's are burning it? Just a thought I had and I can't seem to get an answer.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:47:05 pm »

I'm just curious what they do with the animals at Zoos when they die. If they're burning Fur surely it's irresponsible. Poachers are killing animals for Fur and Zoo's are burning it? Just a thought I had and I can't seem to get an answer.

I think some stuff them and use them in exhibitions and for education.

There aren't exactly masses of tigers dying in zoos all the time.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:28 pm »
I think some stuff them and use them in exhibitions and for education.

There aren't exactly masses of tigers dying in zoos all the time.

They need money and fur is expensive. They should sell it. Take into account all the Zoos and sancturies around the world there would be a lot. And it's not just tigers. Lions etc. People would pay unreal money for it. But is it as bad as killing it for the Fur by using it at all?

I got into this beause I wanted a Canada Goose jacket and my Mrs thought it was wrong. I eat meat, I wear leather. Where is the line in all of this?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:57:29 pm »

I don't think there's anything morally wrong with using such an animals fur in isolation, but practically, if it is possible to legally own one, it would likely create a bigger demand on the black market as people would be able to buy them and claim they were legal....

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 07:19:07 am »
Coyotes are seen as a pest in the USA so there is less kick off than if Canada Goose were using baby seals for their collars, however , a coyote is still a beautiful creature killed solely for the trim on some scally grandma's fashion statement . The sooner these pass out of trend the better, says the world Coyote  population.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:17 am »
if it is possible to legally own one, it would likely create a bigger demand on the black market as people would be able to buy them and claim they were legal....

In a nutshell.

Why would you even consider wearing something that creates demand for such horrific treatment of animals? You might think what Canada Goose are doing is 'okay' but what about the market it's stimulated for fur and to make it affordable? Take Angora rabbits as an example, look into what happens to them, see how they're treated, it'll turn your stomach.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »
Killing animals for their fur can be seen as wrong, there are arguments for and against

What are the arguments for?!?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:02 pm »

I suspect indigenous tribes in areas of world like the Arctic Circle, using hides essentially for survival - would be the 'for' in this instance.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 01:35:27 pm »
Anyone own leather shoes/handbag/wallet ?
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 01:41:58 pm »

I imagine you can probably spot quite a few differences between the way cattle are farmed and the way exotic animals are killed for their fur (and other parts)?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:03 pm »

The day I find out the hide is peeled off a live cow as it screams in pain is the day I'll take that as a viable comparison.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
Where is that picture of Andriy Voronin's wife walking through town when you need it :)
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 02:12:25 pm »
The day I find out the hide is peeled off a live cow as it screams in pain is the day I'll take that as a viable comparison.

You ain't seen my wife when I go near her handbag then :)

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 04:11:28 pm »

I'm sure Canada Goose aren't skinning Coyote's alive.

The whole leather/fur thing is an issue for me. I cannot believe or accept that leather is a bi-product of cows dying or being killed for meat.

Cows will be bread specifically for their leather. Prada aren't using shitty old cow leather, they'll be bred for it. There's no way top handbag manufacturers aren't having cows specifically killed for their handbags.

It's all pretty shit - but somehow because I own a Canada Goose coat I'm the bad guy - they're an easy target. I just don't know where this line is. I eat meat. To moan about a coat is pretty pathetic (not you - the argument). Unless you're a vegan the whole argument around CG is void.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:18:21 pm by Kop307 »

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 04:14:01 pm »

A lot of people in the world genuinely need them for survival.

If the fur is a bi-product of an animal death the fur can be sold for profit to help maintain a farm, zoo or family.

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »
In a nutshell.

Why would you even consider wearing something that creates demand for such horrific treatment of animals? You might think what Canada Goose are doing is 'okay' but what about the market it's stimulated for fur and to make it affordable? Take Angora rabbits as an example, look into what happens to them, see how they're treated, it'll turn your stomach.

There are people in the middle east who would pay an absolute small fortune for legal Tiger/big cat fur. Literally millions.

My argument is, if a Zoo needs funds to treat sick animals, or home ones that need help, use the fur of a dead animal, who will be burnt, to fund that project.

There has to be a way of making that sort of thing viable. And surely if you can buy a fur legally, and it's seen as acceptable perhaps those who seek it from the black market will buy a legal one - as it's a genuine alternative. At the moment if you want a fur of a big cat, you can only seek one illegally. I'm not saying hope an animal dies to get the money - if the big cat is already dead , at least make some use of it, from the standpoint of the zoo or sanctuary.

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
If a big cat has died of natural causes then its fur is gonna start degrading pretty damn fast.

If it's a case of millions of pounds/dollars to that organization I'm sure it can be dealt with quickly to help out.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 04:40:18 pm »
If it's a case of millions of pounds/dollars to that organization I'm sure it can be dealt with quickly to help out.

I do sort of see what your saying mate but I don't suppose selling an animal fur (even if it is off a Tiger than died naturally) sends out the right message.

Where will it end?  Taking all the confiscated heroin from Customs drug busts and flog it to smack-heads to fund a new addicts rehabilitation clinic.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 06:13:44 pm »
When illegal ivory is captured it's burnt. It could be sold on to fund conservation, but that would perpetuate the market for ivory and increase consumption. The idea is to limit the market as much as possible and make it socially unacceptable. The same should apply to fur.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 06:21:40 pm »
"....if a Tiger dies at a Zoo, do they just cremate everything?"

The answer is within the question.  Tigers should not be in zoos in the first place.  They're fast becoming extinct so it may be necessary, sadly.  We are destroying the world around us.  We think we own the world.

Tiger coats belong on Tigers. 

dios esta buena

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:00 pm »
"....if a Tiger dies at a Zoo, do they just cremate everything?"

The answer is within the question.  Tigers should not be in zoos in the first place.  They're fast becoming extinct so it may be necessary, sadly.  We are destroying the world around us.  We think we own the world.

Tiger coats belong on Tigers.

I can't disagree with anything you said.  :thumbup

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:08 pm »
I think you may be exaggerating the "millions" that zoos etc could raise from selling the skins of dead animals.   There aren't that many tigers in existence, even in zoos, for enough to die on a regular basis to raise that kind of money.

Apart from that by selling them they would create even more demand that can't be supplied, meaning more would be killed illegally.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
Skinning things and wearing them as trophies? All sounds very RAWK-ish if you ask me.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:48 pm »
No one has answered my original question - what does the Zoo do with dead animals?

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 09:53:55 pm »
No one has answered my original question - what does the Zoo do with dead animals?

Feed them to the lions, obviously. Duh!

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 09:56:46 pm »
Figure out why it died and then cremate them.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 09:58:47 pm »
It's all pretty shit - but somehow because I own a Canada Goose coat I'm the bad guy

I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Kop307

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 11:13:30 pm »

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 12:14:49 am »
People who need to wear fur:

People who don't:

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2017, 08:25:22 am »
Those Canada goose jackets are hideously expensive. Imagine wasting a load of money on a coat, I could have an original Roland space echo for that money. And still buy the kids some chips.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 08:38:10 am »
People who need to wear fur:

People who don't:

That bottom pic is disgraceful. What animal has that even come from?  Either way, it fits snugly on his head I guess.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 09:18:04 am »
Those Canada goose jackets are hideously expensive. Imagine wasting a load of money on a coat, I could have an original Roland space echo for that money. And still buy the kids some chips.

Space Echo won't keep you warm when you are hanging around the chippy tho Sam. (Great bit of kit btw)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:51 am »

Space Echo won't keep you warm when you are hanging around the chippy tho Sam. (Great bit of kit btw)

;D True, true.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.