Author Topic: Japan and Korea  (Read 9375 times)

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
Re: Japan and Korea
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 11:48:24 am »
Yes, the games are on the J-Sports channels; they show all of our games.   They usually show the top 4/5 teams plus any teams with a Japanese player in, thus we have seen all Leicester's games this year. 

On the job front; I have been here a long time  (20 plus years).  Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Cheers Blink, I really appreciate that  ;D I should find out some more in a couple of weeks.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »
Which part of Japan are you heading for?

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 02:11:55 pm »
Which part of Japan are you heading for?

I have to see how the job search pans out, but hopefully Tokyo. I'm open to any place, but the connection I have is starting in Tokyo. I'm looking to teach at university (which is what I do now in Thailand), but I don't have a Masters, so I am trying to get there through a personal connection. What do you do there, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 02:59:55 am »
I teach at a university.  By coincidence, I think I will be attending a conference in Bangkok in early March.  I am not allowed to send a personal message on RAWK, probably because of my low post count (as you can see, I don't post much); if you are allowed to send a message, please send me your email address and I'll get back to you with the details.

Online red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:33 am »
I teach at a university.  By coincidence, I think I will be attending a conference in Bangkok in early March.  I am not allowed to send a personal message on RAWK, probably because of my low post count (as you can see, I don't post much); if you are allowed to send a message, please send me your email address and I'll get back to you with the details.

Sent it to you mate  ;)

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 03:09:38 am »
Cheers; sent you an email earlier.

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49:18 pm »
Booked to go to Japan in April for just over 2 weeks. Going to Tokyo/Near Mount Fuji/Kyoto and Osaka, can't wait! Anyone got any recommendations of things to see and do while I am at any of the above places? Going to book one of those Japan train passes for traveling around. Any tips or advice?

Heading on Saturday, unbelievably exited! Probably a long shot but don't suppose anyone knows of anywhere in Tokyo I could watch the Derby?

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2016, 01:07:36 pm »
Heading on Saturday, unbelievably exited! Probably a long shot but don't suppose anyone knows of anywhere in Tokyo I could watch the Derby?
The Aldgate, a British pub - well there is always at least one no matter where you go...
http://www.the-aldgate.com/
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Craig Mac

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 02:40:38 pm »
Thank you.

Just seen news of an earthquake in southern Japan, do people think this will affect travel to Tokyo?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 09:36:18 am »
If it's not serious, the lines would just be shut for inspections before resuming. The second day of my first visit there in Tokyo started with a tremor in the wee hours of the morning (I could feel the ground shake in a rhythm below me) - I thought it was the spirits of the old building making a visit...

My Japanese colleagues told me tremors every few weeks are fairly common.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 1, 2016, 11:25:47 pm »
If anyone is still out there, I'm planning a 3 weeks trip to Japan for the end of October and could use some help.

The first thing I'm having a problem with is finding a definitive map of where the JR pass goes, and which bullet trains I can take.  Any advice?

Offline red_herring

• Boys Pen
« Reply #51 on: May 3, 2016, 03:50:52 pm »
i've just got back from 6 weeks out there.
The JR pass goes just about everywhere. you can get a general pass which covers all islands or you can focus on particular regions e.g kansai (around osaka only) or kyushu island. i got the 21 day general and was defiinitely worth it. with this pass you can take most types of bullet train except the fastest. the bullet trains run from hokkaido in the north all the way to kagoshima in kyushu ( far south west island). there are no bullet trains on shikoku. they have trhe equivalent of the diesel train which goes across north england (the one that stops at huyton and every other stop)
this is also a cheaper alternative if you dont want to get the standard rail pass.
if you need any specific detail let me know

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 5, 2016, 11:24:55 am »
i've just got back from 6 weeks out there.
The JR pass goes just about everywhere. you can get a general pass which covers all islands or you can focus on particular regions e.g kansai (around osaka only) or kyushu island. i got the 21 day general and was defiinitely worth it. with this pass you can take most types of bullet train except the fastest. the bullet trains run from hokkaido in the north all the way to kagoshima in kyushu ( far south west island). there are no bullet trains on shikoku. they have trhe equivalent of the diesel train which goes across north england (the one that stops at huyton and every other stop)
this is also a cheaper alternative if you dont want to get the standard rail pass.
if you need any specific detail let me know

Thanks for that I'll defo be getting the rail pass for at least 2 of the 3 weeks.  Here are the places I'm thinking so far... but all I've got booked are the return flights to Osaka and the hotel at Lake Kagawuchi.  Any tips or ideas appreciated!

Osaka
Koya-san
Kyoto
Hiroshima
Kanazawa
Takayama
Tokyo
Lake Kagawuchi (for Mt Fuji)
Osaka

Offline red_herring

• Boys Pen
« Reply #53 on: May 7, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »
i really liked kyushu but that was pre eathquake. not sure what the impact was/is

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 8, 2016, 10:26:03 pm »
Any tips on which to do out of Kanazawa or Matsumoto or Takayama?  Not sure about fitting them in

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 03:24:00 am »
Just found out I've got a few spare days in Japan on a forthcoming business trip

Levia and others - can you recommend anywhere to stay in Kyoto? - I'm thinking a Ryoka with lots of tea and kimonos and such like :D  (and somewhere to watch the match - obviously I'm happy to take my kimono off for that)

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 10:51:56 am »
I'm down in Kyushu.  Whilst it is no picnic for the people of Kumamoto and the surrounding areas right now; there is no problem getting to and from Kagoshima and Fukuoka by train or car.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:54 am »
Levia and others - can you recommend anywhere to stay in Kyoto? - I'm thinking a Ryoka with lots of tea and kimonos and such like :D  (and somewhere to watch the match - obviously I'm happy to take my kimono off for that)
Two choices I suppose - one would be the Gion area along the Shirakawa River ('White River') is the famous geisha district (don't get your knickers wet, they are artisans, very rarely do they offer 'services'). Music, food, kimono, tea etc.

The other would be central Kyoto near the Nishiki Market.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2016, 08:17:12 pm »
Just found out I've got a few spare days in Japan on a forthcoming business trip

I stayed in the yuzuya ryokan next to the yasaka shrine. It was pretty authentic and we spent the whole time in kimono, had tea ceremonies and the food was incredible. Was a fucking fortune mind.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2016, 11:47:41 pm »
^ thanks chaps. Yeah I've read about those prices! I'm glad I've only got a couple of nights, still when in Rome.

On a separate note any stadium updates Meady?

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »
Anyone travelled solo to Japan or gone with an organisation? I'm a teacher so have 6 weeks summer every year - I'm regretting not really planning anything for this current one so trying to think ahead to this time next year! Never travelled alone before but something I'd consider.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #61 on: August 2, 2016, 07:07:35 am »
Ive done a lot of travelling in my time. Seen some of the wonders of the world and had some religious-like experiences in awe inspiring nature. But NOTHING has made more of an impression on me than the toilets in Japan. Heated seats and controllable jet wash sprays. Back or forward, hot or cold. I think about them every day. That and beer vending machines on every corner. I miss you Japan.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 4, 2016, 05:46:07 am »
I stayed in the yuzuya ryokan next to the yasaka shrine. It was pretty authentic and we spent the whole time in kimono, had tea ceremonies and the food was incredible. Was a fucking fortune mind.

Yea no kidding - just booked a cheaper one and that cost an arm and a leg for B&B, about a mile or so away from the Yasaka shrine - looks like a great area - cheers

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #63 on: August 4, 2016, 11:50:38 am »
Yea no kidding - just booked a cheaper one and that cost an arm and a leg for B&B, about a mile or so away from the Yasaka shrine - looks like a great area - cheers
Hope you have a good time, one of the best places I've ever been. Was just trying to remember some particular shrines I went to but there were so many of them you cant help but see loads. That whole area at the foot of the hills i mentioned was nice and peaceful. If I remember rightly we got a train to Arashiyama on the western side of the city to go to the Gio-ji area and it was more your classic mystical Japanese moss garden type places which was well worth the trip. Lots of nice independant Japanese pottery places also if thats your thing.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2016, 12:54:07 pm by meady1981 »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #64 on: August 7, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
Looks like 3 or 4 days in Seoul in November for me. Definitely going to head out to the DMZ one day. What are the other "must dos"? Cheers!

We had 4 days there in 2013.

Cool city to walk around, interesting mix of old and modern buildings. Some beautiful temples. In terms of things to do, in no particular order...:
The War Museum/Korean history museum was very impressive and teaches you a lot about Korean history (as you'd expect). Worth a visit.
Gyeongbokgung Palace  - One of a number of palaces/temples, probably the best, very pretty.
DMZ tour - took a whole day. Definitely worth doing.
Lotte World - the giant indoor theme park. Life saver if you have a rainy day but good fun even if you don't. Very unique. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotte_World
Namdaemun and Dongdaemun markets - Vary in quality but huge.
Cheonggyecheon - This is a weird but cool park which has been built as a river running through the city. A really nice walk from one end to the other through Seoul.
Gangnam - We mainly went there because of the song. It's the Fulham/King's Road of Seoul, lots of nice shops and restaurants but all quite pricey.
Gyeongbok-gung - Another nice temple. Very pretty/peaceful.4

Can recommend a v decent and affordable hotel by Seoul standards too if you like :wave

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #65 on: August 7, 2016, 11:18:32 pm »
Thanks Alex! I looked at your hotel suggestion earlier actually, the metro? It looks ace, but just happened to find a very similarly located / rated hotel for £25 less for the total stay. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but it's got the added bonus of a pool, so I've gone with that. The metro was in the running for sure, though.

The rest of the suggestions look ace. It could be very cold in November so Lotte World could well be a life saver! Will put them all on the list. I reckon that's a pretty good little itinerary there. Thank you!

No worries! Forgot I'd already posted in this thread...

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:53 am »
Japan is fucking boss
The trains, the bogs, the tiny bars, Shibuya - everything

On the fast train to Kyoto with wifi, ale and a smoking compartment - I've packed in but  tempted to have one at 300km/h :D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:45:03 am by kavah »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 07:01:27 am »
Japan is fucking boss
The trains, the bogs, the tiny bars, Shibuya - everything

On the fast train to Kyoto with wifi, ale and a smoking compartment - I've packed in but  tempted to have one at 300km/h :D

Haha go for it  :)
Great isn't it

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2016, 09:02:58 am »
Having flown to many places prior to my visit to Japan, the Shinkansen experience felt kinda 'meh' - just a higher class train service traveling at high speed.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #69 on: January 4, 2017, 12:03:33 am »
Booked to go to Japan in April for just over 2 weeks and will do the 14 day Rail Pass. Haven't planned much yet but the route will probably look something like this:

- Tokyo
- Kyoto
- Osaka (day trip to Nara from either Kyoto or here)
- Himeji
- Hiroshima/Miyajima
- Mount Fuji
- Tokyo

Anyone have an opinion on which is better for Mount Fuji - Fuji Five Lakes (Lake Kagawuchi) or Hakone?

Also when's best to do Mount Fuji? Between Tokyo and Kyoto, or on the way back to Tokyo from Miyajima?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #70 on: January 4, 2017, 01:06:39 am »
Mount Aso is worth a visit.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #71 on: January 5, 2017, 03:30:46 pm »
Nice one, will look into it!
Any recommendations for areas in Tokyo to stay?

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 6, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »
^ shibuya is boss, walkable and loads to do - and a station

For the Internet (obviously for RAWK, and  maps etc) we rented a portable internet thing, the size of a smartphone for about $10 USD a day (If I remember correctly) through our hotel (they let us keep it even when we weren't staying there), and I also saw they had them in the airport.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 6, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »
I can't recommend districts but one of my favourite places to stay was Toco Heritage Hostel, it's a heritage building and it's a step back in time. I stayed there on my first night and its a slice of historic Japan in the middle of the metropolis.

Also try a capsule hotel if you can.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Craig Mac

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »
Thanks for that I'll defo be getting the rail pass for at least 2 of the 3 weeks.  Here are the places I'm thinking so far... but all I've got booked are the return flights to Osaka and the hotel at Lake Kagawuchi.  Any tips or ideas appreciated!

Osaka
Koya-san
Kyoto
Hiroshima
Kanazawa
Takayama
Tokyo
Lake Kagawuchi (for Mt Fuji)
Osaka
Travelled to Japan last April for 2 weeks and loved it. Already want to go back!

Started off in Tokyo- would recommend the following-

Shibuya/Shinjuku- Crazy busy but brilliant. Centre of Tokyo hundreds of bars/ restaurant ect. We went to an amazing sushi restaurant really close to shibuya station where you ordered on ipads and food was automatically delivered on monorail type device that ran around the place- so cool. Make sure you do Karaoke, you will see places on every street corner we had such a laugh!

Akihabara- Electrical town- arcade games/ high tech shops, definitely worh spending a day here

Ginza- Upmarket end of town with high end shops. Amazing fish market on every day definitely worth a visit but maybe not on a hangover.

Ueno Park- Lovely park in the centre of Tokyo- also Zoo next door.

Odaiba-  Amazing views across Toyko. Restruants on the top floor of the shopping mall there give an amazing view across Tokyo.  Nice restaurant called Hibiki here I think

Headed to Hakone on our way to Kyoto. Unfortuntly didn’t get a great view of Fuji but was nice just to relax here for a day before moving on.

Then headed to Koyto. Had 4 days here but it was not nearly enough. 100s and 100s of temples and shrines to see. My favourite being the Inari shrine. Thousands of orange Torii gates up the side of a mountain. We ended up climbing to the top of the mountain which gave an amazing view across Kyoto. I couldn't recommend this place enough was amazing. Also recommend seeing the Bamboo grove there are loads of temples around this area you can see in a day- we ended up hiring bikes- perfect for travelling across Kyoto. Golden Pavilion temple (can't remember the proper name) was an amazing site to see as well. Stay as long as you can in Kyoto

After this we went to Osaka for a couple of nights which is not far from Kyoto. Great city loved it here, again loads of bars and places to eat. Stayed in Namba which was a great place to stay. Aquarium in Osaka was great if you get the chance. If you are in Osaka visit a bar called Little Long Beach Bar. Owned by an American guy called Chad who is an absolute legend!

From either Osaka or Kyoto recommend a day trip to Nara, place has tame deer strolling around which you can feed. Has an amazing wooden temple (the biggest in the world I think). There is a hole in the pillars inside you can crawl through and if you get through it supposedly means you are going to Nirvana, we gave it a go and the locals loved it- they were cheering us on! There is also a sake brewery you can go sake tasting, cost the equivalent of about a 5ver, ended up bringing a few bottles home.

Train pass was absolutely spot on, can use all but the very fastest bullet trains and can use local trains in each of the cities as well definitely worth it.

Absolutely amazing place- enjoy! Found the people to be so friendly, had a women notice is struggling and she ended up walking us to our apartment in Tokyo, was about a 20 minute walk! And the best thing is the food- its absolutely amazing- best food I have had in any country in the world- amazing. Only thing I would say is if you can go longer than 2 weeks do- we fit so much in but it would have been nice to have had another week.

Any others questions just give me a message and enjoy!

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:08 am »
Japan to end tourists' toilet trouble with standardised buttons

takes some of the fun out of it, I say bring back the old buttons  ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/18/japan-to-end-tourists-toilet-trouble-with-standardised-buttons-olympics

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2017, 02:39:09 am »
Your itinerary is nearly the same as mine.

Spot on about Nara Deer Park - walking around with the deers (avoid the stags, they get aggressive) was a surreal experience.

The bit about Ueno Park - it's huge. The zoo itself was pretty big. We went there at around 10am (tremors in the morning stopped the train service until 9.30), left the zoo at 4:30pm with 1/4 it still to go.

To add to that, a trip to Harajuku (just one short train trip south of Shinjuku and Shibuya IIRC) would be worth it as the Meiji Shrine Garden is just across the road.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2017, 03:04:55 am »
Yeah the Tokyo-Kyoto route is pretty standard. I think it's actually called the "golden route" (get excited, President-elect Trump).

Other good options between Tokyo and Kyoto are Shirakawa-go, the Jigokudani snow monkey park, and the Tsumago-Magome walk. All very pretty for different reasons.

It's also well worth making a trip down to Hiroshima/Miyajima via Kyoto for a day or two. Very lovely places, and obviously Hiroshima is an important place to visit for its history. The deer are at Miyajima as well, albeit in smaller numbers.

The one place I've never spent a lot of time in is Osaka. Everyone raves about it, but looking at travel guides, it doesn't seem to have anything particularly outstanding that Tokyo doesn't offer. I'm sure I'm well off, so I might have to try it next time.

Can also recommend Kobe, which is a very lovely city that's the perfect size for a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2017, 03:21:23 am »
The one place I've never spent a lot of time in is Osaka. Everyone raves about it, but looking at travel guides, it doesn't seem to have anything particularly outstanding that Tokyo doesn't offer. I'm sure I'm well off, so I might have to try it next time.
Osaka is relatively similar to Liverpool - the people there are more lively, expressive and flamboyant. We got lost in the evening trying to get to the accommodation after reaching Osaka - the taxi driver couldn't make out where exactly it was as well having looked at the GPS and a few maps - a couple stood there watching while chatting to one another, then came over to ask what's the problem. They pointed us to the inn, walking alongside until we could see it.

As for the city itself, personally the only attraction is the Namba area along the Dotonbori canal - Glico Man. The Shinsekai is a look at the old world of the city.

Aside from that some would visit the castle and Universal Studios. My friend's husband told me that the palace is not worth it as it's nothing like how it was in the ancient days.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2017, 04:11:54 am »
Yeah, I've heard those things about Osaka. I guess it's the kind of thing you'd have to spend more time in the city, and more time with the locals to really appreciate though?

I've been to the castle. It's fine as far as Japanese castles go. It's the only one I've seen, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered seeing the other ones. Himeji is probably the most famous one I guess?

Next time I'm in Japan I'm going to try and do some more outdoorsy stuff. It's a great country to have an outdoors holiday in.