Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 56671 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Chess World Championship
« on: November 23, 2013, 12:38:09 am »
So... young Magnus Carlsen, the 22 year old from Norway is the World Champion... beating the great Vishy Anand who's been the big cheese in recent years. Carlsen has been described as Mozart over the board, and having gone through a few of his games this evening, he is quite unconventional.

1 c4. (English Opening) Not sure that opening move has been done that often in a world championship final. That's a guess, but it stuck out.

all the games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013

Why isn't the chess world championships on television?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:39:11 am »
bugger... meant to put this in general sport.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:36 am »
bugger... meant to put this in general sport.

Is it a sport though?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:59:32 am »
Is it a sport though?

If boxing is a sport... so is chess.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:10:37 am »

Choxing?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 01:21:00 am »
Chess is war. It's not Scrabble. You don't get doled out certain letters and are then asked to conjur up your best effort - it's a fight. And chess players prepare like boxers.

I think England is the only country in the EU that doesn't register chess as a sport. We haven't really worked it out yet. It's a punishing regime to prepare for a World Championship - winner will take home a few million, and you need to be able to box.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:44 am »

Not really. Chess is a mental game, not a physical one. There is no physical skill involved with chess - someone with no arms or legs could quite conceivably be the best chess player in the world.

I think chess is boss, but it's certainly not a sport.

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 02:21:51 am »
Not really. Chess is a mental game, not a physical one. There is no physical skill involved with chess - someone with no arms or legs could quite conceivably be the best chess player in the world.

Not entirely true if you consider how much attention someone like Fischer gave to being in good physical condition before games.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:29:08 am »
Magnus Carlsen is a brilliant player, and as exciting as Anand was when he came on the scene, Magnus has taken the world by storm (and not just the chess world), Chessboards are routinely sold out in Norway now, He draws a crowd everywhere he travels from London to St. Louis, and he has brought a new sexiness to Chess, which it has been missing for sometime now.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 03:56:03 am »

Having no arms would probably be a bit of a hindrance. I understand your position totally, but you don't know much about chess. You need to fuel your brain with oxygen. Just because someone isn't trying to pummel your brains in with a fist, doesn't mean that you don't have a fight on your hands and you need to be fit. It's not darts (or snooker), which is a sport.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 04:41:30 am »
Bringing a sexiness to chess!? ;D

I love a good game of chess.

Oh and if darts is a sport then so is chess.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 05:49:22 am »
Bringing a sexiness to chess!? ;D

I love a good game of chess.

Oh and if darts is a sport then so is chess.

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/love-sex/cosmo-centerfolds/cosmopolitan-sexiest-men-of-2013?page=30

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/11/magnus-carlsen-pawn-star-brings-sizzle-to-chess-world/

Also, Rule of thumb, if you can smoke a pipe while preforming an activity, it is more then likely a game rather then a sport, that said, Chess challenges ones brain in such a manner that few if any other activities can.

If Darts is a sport then chess is too.

I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »
I would put Chess in the same bracket as Darts,and as thats a sport (many arguments had over this with mates) then it has to be classed as a sport i suppose. I love a good game of chess but to master it you have to be phenomenal. You cant get good at chess from scratch in a week.You could get half decent at darts though.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:20:06 pm »

Played Hartson back in the day (about '83 i think) - he played about 50 of us in a school hall at the same time - he obviously had his standard first 8-12 moves unless someone tried a different opening.  I lasted 42 moves.  One lad drew with him who was a year younger than me at my school everyone else lost.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:43 pm »
Why isn't the chess world championships on television?

Too boring to watch live and too few people knowing their stuff to show hightlights or an in-depth analysis of each game, I'd guess...

I used to play a lot when I was a kid about 20 years ago. Learned it from my dad who was well into it and we used to play at home. Then I played in a club and we did pretty well at that time (was about 14 or 15). Played until I was 18 and then went to University in Vienna which is about 700 kilometres away from home. So, I couldn't play for my club anymore (or only occassionally) and didn't want to find a new one in Vienna. Haven't really played since I've come back home though. But still from time to time I play for my old club again and recently I've won a game. Was very proud of that, because the guy I beat was probably playing chess on a weekly basis, whereas I have been playing it once a year at most in the last fifteen years... ;)

As for chess being a sport, I'd definitely say yes. Probably not on the level I'm playing on, but on a professional level yes. Fitness is a bigger issue than many people would probably think. It's not that easy to be able to sit around and thinking very hard for six and more hours. You'll get the occasional break, but most of that time you'll actually be making heavy use of your brain...

Offline redsox0411

• I've got a crappy one but I've learned to live with it.....it is kind of selfexplanatory.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 06:24:43 pm »
Too boring to watch live and too few people knowing their stuff to show hightlights or an in-depth analysis of each game, I'd guess...

You would think, but in Norway there were close to half a million people following the games, on telly and through web TV. Obviously Carlsen being Norwegian has a lot to say, but the way they set it up, with famous hobby-players and experts as co-commentators worked surprisingly well. I play a bit om a very low level, but they made it both entertaining and educatilonal, and I was able to follow the strategies they layed out to some extent.
It was very good entertainment as a matter of fact, and I suppose the productivity amongst Norwegian workers dropped quite a bit during the two weeks it lasted.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
As for chess being a sport, I'd definitely say yes. Probably not on the level I'm playing on, but on a professional level yes. Fitness is a bigger issue than many people would probably think. It's not that easy to be able to sit around and thinking very hard for six and more hours. You'll get the occasional break, but most of that time you'll actually be making heavy use of your brain...

.. and then you have to come back and do it all again the next day.

I was part of the audience for the Kasparov v Kramnick World Championships in London many moons ago (We went twice - me and the new girlfriend. I'm quite romantic like that. She was tall, blond, slim and in heels and fishnet stockings and she did stick out a bit), and it was the first chess match I've ever watched, and it was bloody riveting. So you're in this hushed auditorium, and you had an ear piece to the commentary, and it was just like listening to Test Match Special - it was that good. There were screens inside the auditorium, and you could sneak out and watch the large 2D screen aswell as the commentary, while having a beer. Then you could pop back in. We were there when Kasparov lost his crown.

But the commentary was brilliant. At every move the experts can just drag up a game from the early 1900's and talk their way through it, and they're all chatting and then suddenly, Kramnick plays a move, and it all switches again, and there's palpable excitement - and then someone refers to a Karpov game etc... It really was a thing of beauty. There are periods where a player is thinking of a move for a good long while and conversation switches to hotels, or restaurants, or films, or bus routes, and then... rook to d4, and it's back onto the chess again. I WANT CHESS ON THE TELEVISION.

Played Hartson back in the day (about '83 i think)

42 moves? Very impressive. There was chess on TV back then, and I didn't understand much of it as a kid but really enjoyed it. It was like a cool, interesting version of Open University with the beards and pale browns, and people 'not confident' infront of camera. Didn't have the gameshow aesthetics. Oliver Kay, Leonard Barden and William Hartston.

Really pleased to see cooking back on the menu on the school curriculum... chess would be the next one on it for me.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »
Okay, been playing this for the last few days. Im on beginner, getting better, but still have the odd lapse of concentration. But am i missing something here. How is this a stalemate. More or less 2 out of every 3 games ends this way. Annoying as hell

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
Okay, been playing this for the last few days. Im on beginner, getting better, but still have the odd lapse of concentration. But am i missing something here. How is this a stalemate. More or less 2 out of every 3 games ends this way. Annoying as hell

I think you have to be make a move to get the king in checkmate, looking at that, the king cant make any moves which means its a stalemate. im not too sure but i think thats it.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »
I think you have to be make a move to get the king in checkmate, looking at that, the king cant make any moves which means its a stalemate. im not too sure but i think thats it.
Yeah, he cant make moves, so wouldn't that last move i made had been the checkmate?? Whats going on here?? ;D

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:31 pm »
from wikipedia Stalemate - "where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal move" :D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 02:03:05 pm »
Yeah, he cant make moves, so wouldn't that last move i made had been the checkmate?? Whats going on here?? ;D
No, you have to avtually put the King in check in order to deliver the coup de grace. You should have moved your queen to g7 instead.

I wanna get back to playing chess. It's been too long.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 02:11:22 pm »
from wikipedia Stalemate - "where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal move" :D
Oh my days. Im clearly the winner here and this fucker comes away with a draw. Game can fuck off :D

No, you have to avtually put the King in check in order to deliver the coup de grace. You should have moved your queen to g7 instead.

Wouldn't that mean the King could of taken my Queen then

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:24 pm »
And how come my opponent can move his king one spot over a chesspiece on the back line? Any time i've tried it, doesn't happen

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 02:15:43 pm »
And how come my opponent can move his king one spot over a chesspiece on the back line? Any time i've tried it, doesn't happen

Castling?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling

Castling is permissible if and only if all of the following conditions hold (Schiller 2001:19):

The king has not previously moved.
The chosen rook has not previously moved.
There are no pieces between the king and the chosen rook.
The king is not currently in check.
The king does not pass through a square that is under attack by an enemy piece.[2]
The king does not end up in check (true of any legal move).
The king and the chosen rook are on the first rank of the player (rank 1 for White, rank 8 for Black, in algebraic notation).[3]

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »

Oh my days. Im clearly the winner here and this fucker comes away with a draw. Game can fuck off :D

Brilliant.  I once played a lad who trounced me only to fuck up in the way you have.  i did laugh afterwards.  Think we went on to win by 1 point as well!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »

Moving the queen to g7 would have resulted in losing the queen as the King would have taken it. Moving the bishop to d5 would have resulted in mate.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 02:23:40 pm »
Castling?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling

Castling is permissible if and only if all of the following conditions hold (Schiller 2001:19):

The king has not previously moved.
The chosen rook has not previously moved.
There are no pieces between the king and the chosen rook.
The king is not currently in check.
The king does not pass through a square that is under attack by an enemy piece.[2]
The king does not end up in check (true of any legal move).
The king and the chosen rook are on the first rank of the player (rank 1 for White, rank 8 for Black, in algebraic notation).[3]
Cheers. Thought i was seeing things at first

Brilliant.  I once played a lad who trounced me only to fuck up in the way you have.  i did laugh afterwards.  Think we went on to win by 1 point as well!
Infuriating stuff. Suppose i have to think even further on me next move. Although it will take some getting used to

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 02:27:32 pm »
Moving the queen to g7 would have resulted in losing the queen as the King would have taken it. Moving the bishop to d5 would have resulted in mate.
Yeah, i should of done that instead of moving me castle. The last move was moving the castle from h5 to h6. Pointless really. Still in a checkers frame of mind. Good learning experience this thread

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »
Yeah, i should of done that instead of moving me castle. The last move was moving the castle from h5 to h6. Pointless really. Still in a checkers frame of mind. Good learning experience this thread

Yeah moving the castle does nothing as it's already covering the vertical and the King isn't getting past the queen, you backed him into a nice corner and had a lot of other pieces left. Chess is about patience and thinking a few moved ahead. It'll come with practice really.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 02:43:12 pm »

Which Chess game is it?  Is it a downloadable one for free off the net?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »

If you want a free one you can play at

Www.redhotpawn.com

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 02:49:14 pm »
Yeah, it's free. Downloaded a few but this is by far the best
http://chess-2012.en.softonic.com/

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:24 pm »
Thought his rook's position was g6 before his final move for some reason.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 02:52:01 pm »
Yeah moving the castle does nothing as it's already covering the vertical and the King isn't getting past the queen, you backed him into a nice corner and had a lot of other pieces left. Chess is about patience and thinking a few moved ahead. It'll come with practice really.
Yeah, im a bit gung ho at the mo. KILL! KILL! FINISH HIM!!..........ends in stalemate......sad trumpet

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »
Thought his rook's position was g6 before his final move for some reason.

Yeah toom a bit to look at the move progression. It was a dominating game up until the stalemate.

Yeah, im a bit gung ho at the mo. KILL! KILL! FINISH HIM!!..........ends in stalemate......sad trumpet

Hahaha yeah it definitely starts like that. You'll get to the stage when you are counting pawns ;)

My friend who plays a lot has a fantastic strategy he'll go for the queen exchange 9 times out of 10 , he plays better without his queen and his end game is fantastic, my end game is horrific. Something when I played a lot I used to work on all the time.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 05:42:07 pm »

Not really. If he had moved it to h8 instead of h6, it would have been checkmate. It would have been check and the king wouldn't have had anywhere to go as all the squares are covered by either the rook or the queen. Plus the rook is protected by the queen...

Oh, and can I say that I hate those new digital chess clocks. I loved the old ones when the whole room was filled by their sound when playing a tournament. Plus you didn't have those stupid rules they have now where you get 90 minutes at the start and get 30 seconds added on for every move you make... ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:49:07 pm by stoa »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:24 pm »
Not really. If he had moved it to h8 instead of h6, it would have been checkmate. It would have been check and the king wouldn't have had anywhere to go as all the squares are covered by either the rook or the queen. Plus the rook is protected by the queen...

Oh, and can I say that I hate those new digital chess clocks. I loved the old ones when the whole room was filled by their sound when playing a tournament. Plus you didn't have those stupid rules they have now where you get 90 minutes at the start and get 30 seconds added on for every move you make... ;)

Meant moving the rook there. There are a few mates in 1 and lots of mates in 2.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »
I started playing again a few months back. Sort of stopped playing a good few years back, and shit me am I rusty. I used to have a good few openings in my 'repertoire', going quite deeply with a few of them, but now? I almost have to learn it all again. Thankfully, I've always had a good endgame, and that hasn't been too badly affected by the drought.

It can be tricky to avoid a stalemate sometimes, especially under time pressure, but there are some good basic tips to keep in mind. In your position, essentially, you've got the lone king trapped between two squares (if you left the rook on f5). If you didn't have the bishop to mate on d5, and you just had those pawns - don't move the queen or rook... just push up a pawn and turn it into a queen. Mate would be quicker (without the bishop) with just the rook and queen, but trapping a king between two squares... you can move your king in to help, or anything else on the board.

Another top tip is, if you can... trap a king with a rook onto the A or H files, or the 1st or 2nd rank in an endgame. Trapping him. If you have a pawn, it should be game over with patience and care.

Always take up the opportunity to land a rook on the 7th rank (as white), or 2nd rank (as black) - at any time during a game. Two along a rank is double plus good.

I've been playing as a guest on chesshotel recently.