Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 173047 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The Gardening Thread 2009. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #200 on: July 9, 2009, 10:03:44 pm »
Argh! I used to get lots of ants and bugs on my Sunflower and my mum's friend said to spray the plant with some diluted washing up liquid. I thought I'd give it a try yesterday and when I saw it today all the leaves are dead. It looks horrible and old and frailed now. :'(

What type of a fookin' gobshite told you that. Dear oh dear i'm stumped on how to solve this problem pet. ???
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2009, 08:17:28 pm »
I'm am soooo tired now and i have plants coming out of my .............................. you get me.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »
Great thread. Really makes me want to jump into the garden and do something about it, since it's getting overgrown and overweeded.

Anyway, I have a problem with the grapes.
We've had a grape tree/bush/thingie for about 20 years and it just died of age (if such a thing is possible). The years after we tried planting a new one, but they all died within a few months. Probably because the soil was just empty on nutricions etc.

About 1,5 years ago we planted one again. This time it is growing, albeit slowly, but we have now the same problem as we had with the old one.
There are big speckles on the back of the leaves which form bubbles on the front (See pic).
My question; does this harm the plant, if so, how do I get rid of it?
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »
Probably because the soil was just empty on nutricions etc.

Yes possibly so try and enrich the soil with milti-purpose compost or manure. Do not use horse manure as they do not digest scutch grass and if this gets into your garden well your fooked, cow manure is the best. Or any soil enricher.

1. Select planting sites with direct, all-day sunlight (avoid shade). Good soil drainage and air circulation are also very important.

2. While the plant is in a dormant stage (Off season), cut out infected canes and destroy them. Select only strong, healthy canes that are uniform in color to produce the next season’s crop.

3. Proper timing of early-season fungicide sprays is important for control in commercial vineyards.

Hope this helps.

Sarge.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2009, 10:15:37 pm »
Munure = Mancs.

Had to change the spelling so you knew what was up.  :wave
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:12 pm »
Some more i have,

Y.N.W.A.

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2009, 10:45:18 am »
Probably because the soil was just empty on nutricions etc.

Yes possibly so try and enrich the soil with milti-purpose compost or the Mancs. Do not use horse the Mancs as they do not digest scutch grass and if this gets into your garden well your fooked, cow the Mancs is the best. Or any soil enricher.

1. Select planting sites with direct, all-day sunlight (avoid shade). Good soil drainage and air circulation are also very important.

2. While the plant is in a dormant stage (Off season), cut out infected canes and destroy them. Select only strong, healthy canes that are uniform in color to produce the next season’s crop.

3. Proper timing of early-season fungicide sprays is important for control in commercial vineyards.

Hope this helps.

Sarge.

Thanks Sarge!

Just heard from my mum that she put chalk/calcium with the grapes, because that should be making the plant stronger.

I might hop to the garden centre and see if they have any fungacides and see how and when to use it properly.

Munure = Mancs.

Had to change the spelling so you knew what was up.  :wave

Whaha didn't take long for me to understand the meaning of Mancs. :P

And great pictures ^^^
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »
Ta i hope you grapes come good for you.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2009, 11:20:12 pm »
What type of a fookin' gobshite told you that. Dear oh dear i'm stumped on how to solve this problem pet. ???

It worked for her. Her sunflowers look lush! I might have used a bit too much fairy liquid maybe. :-\ Oh well. :(
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2009, 11:21:08 pm »
I'm wondering who (if anyone) in this thread is best suited to giving me advice about uphill gardening?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:52 pm »
It worked for her. Her sunflowers look lush! I might have used a bit too much fairy liquid maybe. :-\ Oh well. :(

The fairy liqud thing still has me stumped.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2009, 11:23:29 pm »
I'm wondering who (if anyone) in this thread is best suited to giving me advice about uphill gardening?

Say what!!!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2009, 11:29:22 pm »
Say what!!!

My lawn, it's on a hill and I'm wondering what is the best way to cultivate my land. What did you think I meant?

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2009, 11:44:41 pm »
The fairy liqud thing still has me stumped.

It's so the bugs can't climb up the stalk because the fairy liquid makes them slip off. :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2009, 01:43:01 pm »
It's so the bugs can't climb up the stalk because the fairy liquid makes them slip off. :D

:D Genius.

My lawn, it's on a hill and I'm wondering what is the best way to cultivate my land. What did you think I meant?

You got a photo i have some ideas Steven?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2009, 01:48:15 pm »
Sarge, I've got a problem with my lawn. It's on a slant, sloping from my back fence down to the back of my house.

I can't mow it going down the way, 'cos it's so steep, the mower runs away with me.

Does this make me an uphill gardener?

;D :wave
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »
I have two baby frogs living in my patch in the greenhouse were I grow carrots! But I suppose they will eat the slugs :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »
Sarge, I've got a problem with my lawn. It's on a slant, sloping from my back fence down to the back of my house.

I can't mow it going down the way, 'cos it's so steep, the mower runs away with me.

Does this make me an uphill gardener?

;D :wave

;D Yes.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2009, 10:11:49 pm »
I have two baby frogs living in my patch in the greenhouse were I grow carrots! But I suppose they will eat the slugs :D

Yip let nature take its course. BTW Slugs are bastard fucks!!!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2009, 01:26:28 pm »
Cant say i know much about gardening, but this is a nice garden...

...although that could be due to sheer size!

I do have a question though. How hard/easy is it to grow your own tomatoes and chilli's? How long does it take? What do you need to do to ensure that they are maintained well?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »
Its a big garden.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2009, 12:19:21 pm »
Its a big garden.

Indeed.

How are the chilli's that you are growing turning out? How long does that whole process take?

Offline Elbingo

• Main Stander
  • BOOM!
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2009, 01:56:49 pm »
Just a quick question guys.

Im no expert gardner and basicly just run the mower over my lawn every weekend, weather pending! problem is it just looks shite all year round and has lots of weeds coming through by the time it comes to mid-week! i have tried a bit of lawn feed but this just doesnt make a difference what so ever

are there any suggestions that could bring a bit of life back into it

thanks in advance  8)

Offline Annoyed Grunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 20, 2009, 02:06:17 pm »

Im no expert gardner and basicly just run the mower over my lawn every weekend, weather pending! problem is it just looks shite all year round and has lots of weeds coming through by the time it comes to mid-week! i have tried a bit of lawn feed but this just doesnt make a difference what so ever

thanks in advance  8)

Could do with a bit of help with this as well. The weeds that come through look like cabbage (and no, i'm not growing cabbage)

Offline Elbingo

• Main Stander
  • BOOM!
« Reply #224 on: July 20, 2009, 03:06:14 pm »
Could do with a bit of help with this as well. The weeds that come through look like cabbage (and no, i'm not growing cabbage)

Yes mine are the same mate, frustrates the life out of me. my garden should be like anfield but it just aint man...more like goodison really!

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2009, 08:23:52 pm »
Indeed.

How are the chilli's that you are growing turning out? How long does that whole process take?

Getting their slow but sure, they take time and it depends on the conditions.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2009, 08:45:41 pm »

thanks in advance  8)

Ok you answered my first question, you're not growing cabbage. ;D

With all the growth due to rain you may not want to weed and feed, so using a smaller bottle of concentrated grass-safe herbicide with a hose sprayer can cover the entire yard fairly quickly. You'll probably want to do this a couple of times this year. You might end up with some bare areas; when it's warm enough, properly till and seed them.

You're probably cutting the grass the wrong height and frequency. If you cut the grass too short, it is weakened and unable to resist weeds (which get more light than they should). If you wait too long between trims, the amount you cut off is too much and weakens the plant, the long grass trimmings can cover up growing grass, and you get more plant growth at the expense of root growth. Try to cut to a slightly higher height (2.5-3" is generally good), more often, and your lawn will begin to get its legs back. The best defense against weeds is healthy turf.

If you have kids and/or pets be careful what type of weedkiller you buy, ask the gardening assistant for the exact information required.

The first step in bringing your lawn under control is to cut it regularly. During the height of summer you might need to cut the grass twice a week. Cutting the grass encourages it to grow, and will continually cut down the weeds. Rake up any grass cuttings if there are lots of weeds. (They may not be suitable for composting if they contain a lot of seed heads as many weeds seeds continue to develop when removed from the parent plant.) Only when your lawn is in good condition should you allow cuttings to remain on the lawn. The first cut of the year should also be removed if the grass is longer than you expected. Leaving too much grass on the surface causes grass underneath to die and cause annual weeds to grow in the bare patches. You may also have to schedule cutting the grass around the actual lawn itself rather than sticking to a set day.

After a few months of a good cutting regime you should be able to notice a significant difference in the quality of your lawn. The next stage is slightly more time consuming but is very satisfying indeed. Collect from the kitchen an old dinner knife - one with a solid handle and blade to avoid any problems with blades snapping. Then select a small area of lawn - don't be over-ambitious, as you'll get very depressed trying to tackle the whole lawn at once. Pick an area with many weeds still in it. Sit comfortably and start to dig out the weeds with the blade of the knife. This method is particularly useful for dandelions - which have long tap roots which need to be removed. By using a knife it should be possible to dig down around the root of the weed without causing too much damage to the lawn. Daisies are easier to dig out, having much shallower roots, but any burdock in your lawn will cause you nightmares! You may need to cut through thick roots rather than dig further around.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Annoyed Grunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2009, 09:26:42 pm »
Ok you answered my first question, you're not growing cabbage. ;D

With all the growth due to rain you may not want to weed and feed, so using a smaller bottle of concentrated grass-safe herbicide with a hose sprayer can cover the entire yard fairly quickly. You'll probably want to do this a couple of times this year. You might end up with some bare areas; when it's warm enough, properly till and seed them.

You're probably cutting the grass the wrong height and frequency. If you cut the grass too short, it is weakened and unable to resist weeds (which get more light than they should). If you wait too long between trims, the amount you cut off is too much and weakens the plant, the long grass trimmings can cover up growing grass, and you get more plant growth at the expense of root growth. Try to cut to a slightly higher height (2.5-3" is generally good), more often, and your lawn will begin to get its legs back. The best defense against weeds is healthy turf.

If you have kids and/or pets be careful what type of weedkiller you buy, ask the gardening assistant for the exact information required.

The first step in bringing your lawn under control is to cut it regularly. During the height of summer you might need to cut the grass twice a week. Cutting the grass encourages it to grow, and will continually cut down the weeds. Rake up any grass cuttings if there are lots of weeds. (They may not be suitable for composting if they contain a lot of seed heads as many weeds seeds continue to develop when removed from the parent plant.) Only when your lawn is in good condition should you allow cuttings to remain on the lawn. The first cut of the year should also be removed if the grass is longer than you expected. Leaving too much grass on the surface causes grass underneath to die and cause annual weeds to grow in the bare patches. You may also have to schedule cutting the grass around the actual lawn itself rather than sticking to a set day.

After a few months of a good cutting regime you should be able to notice a significant difference in the quality of your lawn. The next stage is slightly more time consuming but is very satisfying indeed. Collect from the kitchen an old dinner knife - one with a solid handle and blade to avoid any problems with blades snapping. Then select a small area of lawn - don't be over-ambitious, as you'll get very depressed trying to tackle the whole lawn at once. Pick an area with many weeds still in it. Sit comfortably and start to dig out the weeds with the blade of the knife. This method is particularly useful for dandelions - which have long tap roots which need to be removed. By using a knife it should be possible to dig down around the root of the weed without causing too much damage to the lawn. Daisies are easier to dig out, having much shallower roots, but any burdock in your lawn will cause you nightmares! You may need to cut through thick roots rather than dig further around.

Nice one, thank you very much.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »
No problem, i am knackered and still have plants coming out of my.............
Y.N.W.A.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2009, 10:51:59 pm »
I really really want to do landscape designing! I've always wanted to do interior designing or landscape designing but after everything I've grown in our garden this year I really want to do it so I can make our garden look perfecto. I think i might do it next year if I can fit it in around my degree! :D

Oh and Sarge the Sunflower is well and truly dead now. :(

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »
I really really want to do landscape designing! I've always wanted to do interior designing or landscape designing but after everything I've grown in our garden this year I really want to do it so I can make our garden look perfecto. I think i might do it next year if I can fit it in around my degree! :D

Go for it girl.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2009, 11:09:28 pm »
Oh and Sarge the Sunflower is well and truly dead now. :(

Ahh fuck it. ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #232 on: August 2, 2009, 03:24:36 pm »
Anymore budding (see what i done their) gardeners out their?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 2, 2009, 04:11:34 pm »

Gonna learn more about chilli growing and then see the fruits (or in this case, chillies) of my labour.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #234 on: August 2, 2009, 04:12:54 pm »
Gonna learn more about chilli growing and then see the fruits (or in this case, chillies) of my labour.

Oh yes good one Killer.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #235 on: August 2, 2009, 04:56:26 pm »

Yeah, I'd been on the waiting list for an allotment for about 6 months and was offered a half-plot in Litherland the other day. They're giving them out like that to lessen the waiting list and, to be honest, its more than enough for us. Me and two mates have gone in on it but are total novices really.

We're not at the point of planting much yet because the plot is quite overgrown, but I'm keen to get some Garlic in. Picking you brain here, I'm looking for something quick and easy that can be planted now, just so we can see some progress and give us encouragement while clearing and tidying the plot. Theres only about 6 sq foot available though as of now.

I'm thinking veg rather than flowers.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #236 on: August 2, 2009, 05:05:38 pm »
Bootle if you want to grow veg your better off growing them in coldframes during the winter, some can be planted straight into the soil but just be careful and read the seed packets, thin out the soil and make 100% its weedfree.

Anymore information needed just ask.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #237 on: August 5, 2009, 01:01:47 am »
Got my first crop going to sale this weekend wish me luck.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline AlanK

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #238 on: August 5, 2009, 01:22:00 am »
In the next fortnight/3 weeks I going to be doing some serious gardening, so advice could be required...

My sister has a north facing back garden that is  a jungle basically. She has no green fingers or interest in gardening but wants something done with it, which is where I come in. Seeing as I'm unemployed at the moment, I need a few things to keep me going so I'm going to give this proper go.

I know I should just mow the lawn and stain the shed but I hate spending a lot of time doing something I won't be proud of....so, I've been getting out loads of Garden design books from the libraries around, trying to do something with a modern twist. She also has an ugly oil tank and an awful garden shed, both of which are going to have to be disguised. The bottom of the garden is where the sun hits and has a Sycamore tree(!) growing in one corner...the other half of the garden is in shade generally. Off the top of my head the Garden is 11m by 9m.

I'm probably going to take the shed apart and build something myself, which I was thinking of disguising behind a new wall, possibly masonry or wood. I'll probably put in a decking area in the sunny spot and have found these lovely big sleepers at a reasonable price which I hope to use. She likes colours with an orangish twinge so I may look at getting some rusted metal from somewhere and clad the new shed in it. I'm reasonably handy at things like this but I'm a bit slow (what with needing a cup of tea every hour)...but I need to have it done by the Stoke game.

If anybody has any nice designs or ideas please post, and I may do a bit of a before/ during / after sort of photo diary thing....depending upon how well I get on!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #239 on: August 5, 2009, 11:16:50 am »
Sounds good mate but first of all gut the garden and leave nothing but clay then have a look at a blank canvas as it will give you a better idea of what it could look like.
Y.N.W.A.