Author Topic: Watches  (Read 251688 times)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
Re: Buying a decent watch
« Reply #160 on: January 3, 2010, 12:52:04 am »
Got to say guys I'm edging towards the Nixon (£440). Does anyone own a Nixon? What was your experience of them?

It lies ;)
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #161 on: January 3, 2010, 01:11:22 am »

Reminds me of Edinburgh a few years back, after setting off, asked a mate if he had everything, he said he did, got to Edge Lane and he goes shit I've left me watch. Tough shite we weren't going back. Then goto to Petty Station just outside Edinburgh and he realised he had left his money. Got to the hotel and he realised he had left his shoes.

Anyway he was lost without his watch, so we sent him into a Jewellers and told him to ask for the cheapest watch they had. To be fair that was exactly how he phrased it and ee came out with one of them.

Ok, that doesn't sound as funny as it was at the time.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: January 3, 2010, 01:15:12 am »
Bought myself this watch while on holiday in september and its the best watch i've owned

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #164 on: January 3, 2010, 02:16:37 am »
Liking the power meter in there. Looking at all these watches i really want one now. But as my other thread says I simply can't afford any extravagant buys. If i have money saved up. I'd prob get one like me mate has in the pic i posted on the first page
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #165 on: January 3, 2010, 09:16:01 am »

It sounded so much better than it looks :( Having said that you appear ot have paid for robustness and materials so can't really give too much criticism, you got what you wanted.

The build quality is spot on and I'm not exactly a flashy bloke. I wanted something well made that would last and WOULDN'T stand out to people that might want to machete me arm off (This actually happens in a few places we visit around the world!)

It looks a nice watch, but it doesn't look flashy or expensive. I actually planned for over 3 years to get it. It wasn't an impulse buy. Love it. :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #166 on: January 3, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »
Always wanted a Citizen watch - ever since I found out Michael Owen was their worldwide ambassador. Got a Timex instead.
A legendary dickhead, no less.

Offline scottishkop

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #167 on: January 3, 2010, 07:37:23 pm »
Good for when you're in the dark too.

Haha ;D

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #168 on: January 3, 2010, 10:06:00 pm »
My first "real" watch was an Oris:

http://www.oris.ch/collections/collections_detail.aspx?ln=en&modelid=38

I did have other watches before, but they got busted within a year or two. The Oris cost me appr. 800 £ and I wore that one for the better part of two years. It is a really nice watch with a good feel of quality to it and the clockwork is really robust so you can wear it and use it at all times. Apart from being a big sports watch it also does a good job as a dress watch imo.

Why am I not wearing it anymore? I got my dads watch, a Rolex Submariner, when he died almost five years ago and I have worn it since. I do not wear the Rolex to look smart, it's simply my way of having my dad present in my everyday life.

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #169 on: January 3, 2010, 11:06:13 pm »
Can not go wrong with a Breil, nice watch and last for years.  As for buying these snides from Turkey, I asked my mate the time on her copy watch and both hands had fallen off...
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
  • "I am focused on training and coaching my team"
« Reply #170 on: January 4, 2010, 12:11:32 am »
It lies ;)
Look if it impresses the ladies as a by-product then I won't complain :)
Also I loved that 6 quid Casio - was my first ever watch when I was a kid and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I actually planned for over 3 years to get it. It wasn't an impulse buy. Love it. :)
Ah you mean it took you three years planning to break into a Jewelry store?  ;)
.....where once we watched the King Kenny play

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 4, 2010, 12:13:02 am »
Can not go wrong with a Breil, nice watch and last for years.  As for buying these snides from Turkey, I asked my mate the time on her copy watch and both hands had fallen off...
Examples please! And nobody seems to own a Nixon

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #172 on: January 4, 2010, 12:40:27 am »
Always wanted a Citizen watch - ever since I found out Michael Owen was their worldwide ambassador. Got a Timex instead.

Tissot, no?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #173 on: January 4, 2010, 12:44:44 am »
Another vote for Fossil.

Love watches - absolutely adore them. Currently have five Fossil watches and love them. They are beautifully made and detailed without being over the top. You can pick a decent one up for £150-£200.

I also have a Police watch that set me back £300+ that I adore too.

Got a few others that I picked up on whims/impulse that weren't quite as expensive but look good.

Fossil are awesome! (Though not liking much of their current range.)
« Last Edit: January 4, 2010, 12:47:09 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #174 on: January 4, 2010, 01:26:30 am »
The build quality is spot on and I'm not exactly a flashy bloke. I wanted something well made that would last and WOULDN'T stand out to people that might want to machete me arm off (This actually happens in a few places we visit around the world!)

It looks a nice watch, but it doesn't look flashy or expensive. I actually planned for over 3 years to get it. It wasn't an impulse buy. Love it. :)

I don't know, some of my cheaper watches have lasted me longer than the more expensive ones.

Although my current one is 4 years going now and has only needed 1 battery change, and barring a clasp tightening (after it flew off and hit a lad in the chest while I was celebrating an Ireland try) and one of the diamonds falling out, it's been great, and cost a fortune.

Although I also have a £10 one from New Look that I'd wear every day, but I only have it because I haven't found a replacement strap for my Sekonda yet.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 4, 2010, 02:15:06 am »

Offline REDcrazy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: January 4, 2010, 03:27:45 am »
I believe in the saying that men should only have two pieces of jewelry/accessory on them; their wedding band and their watch. No flashy gemstone ring or Ch@v-like chain necklaces. So spending £££'s on timepieces is actually not stupid or dumb.

If you're lucky enough to be able to afford classic high-end timepieces, they're like family heirlooms. You can pass it to the next generation. Just as one timepiece maker aptly says in its slogan; "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

Most swiss-made watches retain some value as well so if you need the cash, you can sell it up given it's in good working condition. And as some classic models appreciate in value over time, the resale values can get quite handsome. Just imagine what a 1960's or 1970's classic Omega or Rolex would cost today.

First rule to remember, avoid watches with designer label names. Kenneth Cole, Armani, Lacoste, Pierre Cardin and the likes.  They may make great fashion wear but watchmaking is not their strong suit.

« Last Edit: January 4, 2010, 03:30:52 am by REDcrazy »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #177 on: January 4, 2010, 09:29:48 am »
A calculator watch, nice

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #178 on: January 4, 2010, 11:53:40 am »
I also love watches but I wouldn't want more than 1 or 2. I have a TAG sel (pictured) which my wife kindly bought for me whilst she was still at Uni, around 1995. It cost £1000 and I still have the watch to date...in fact I'm wearing it right now, so it's lasted 14/15yrs so far.

I also have a crappy 'plastic' watch from Argos, pretty much the cheapest in the shop for playing sports. I bought this after needing to get my TAG repaired after playing squash and my wrist movement with the raquet had unscrewed the crown and filled half the face with condensation.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 4, 2010, 12:48:45 pm »
Reminds me of Edinburgh a few years back, after setting off, asked a mate if he had everything, he said he did, got to Edge Lane and he goes shit I've left me watch. Tough shite we weren't going back. Then goto to Petty Station just outside Edinburgh and he realised he had left his money. Got to the hotel and he realised he had left his shoes.

Anyway he was lost without his watch, so we sent him into a Jewellers and told him to ask for the cheapest watch they had. To be fair that was exactly how he phrased it and ee came out with one of them.

Ok, that doesn't sound as funny as it was at the time.

Don't under sell it Ben, it's one of the funniest stories I've ever heard.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #180 on: January 4, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »
Don't under sell it Ben, it's one of the funniest stories I've ever heard.

;D

I had two Tags robbed in a house burglary before Christmas. One was a really old Formula 1 that was knackered, and the other one was a Kirium that I bought at a Tag outlet store for less than a grand, but had stopped wearing.

The insurance was going to pay out £2k for that one, and I was going to replace it with a vintage Rolex or Breitling watch. I think that the jeweller who did the valuations may have seen my green eyed envy ;)

Then the plod turned up with the missing Kirium. Gutted; it's really given me the taste for a 'classic' watch.  :-\

I've got a couple of other watches; currently wearing a Mondaine Chronograph that I really like.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2010, 12:56:27 pm by MichaelA »

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #181 on: January 4, 2010, 01:29:30 pm »
First rule to remember, avoid watches with designer label names. Kenneth Cole, Armani, Lacoste, Pierre Cardin and the likes.  They may make great fashion wear but watchmaking is not their strong suit.

Bang on and what I was going to comment on. You are paying for the brand name rather than the watch when you go for an Armani or Lacoste watch rather than a decent watch. Better off going for a traditional watch maker like a Brietling, a Rolex, or even something like a Raymond Weil or Tissot if you want a decent watch under £1000.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 4, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »
I believe in the saying that men should only have two pieces of jewelry/accessory on them; their wedding band and their watch. No flashy gemstone ring or Ch@v-like chain necklaces. So spending £££'s on timepieces is actually not stupid or dumb.

If you're lucky enough to be able to afford classic high-end timepieces, they're like family heirlooms. You can pass it to the next generation. Just as one timepiece maker aptly says in its slogan; "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

Most swiss-made watches retain some value as well so if you need the cash, you can sell it up given it's in good working condition. And as some classic models appreciate in value over time, the resale values can get quite handsome. Just imagine what a 1960's or 1970's classic Omega or Rolex would cost today.

Totally agree about the fashion brands and passing watches on.

Another vote for Fossil.

Love watches - absolutely adore them. Currently have five Fossil watches and love them. They are beautifully made and detailed without being over the top. You can pick a decent one up for £150-£200.

I also have a Police watch that set me back £300+ that I adore too.

Got a few others that I picked up on whims/impulse that weren't quite as expensive but look good.

Fossil are awesome! (Though not liking much of their current range.)

Fossil are getting a lot of votes here but I don't like their current stuff either. The one Nabz-1 shows is OK

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 4, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »
I'm getting a watch for my 21st and so far the best price my mum has found is from an american company. Does anyone know if customs will add any tax, duty or other fee to the watch?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #184 on: January 4, 2010, 05:58:32 pm »
I'm getting a watch for my 21st and so far the best price my mum has found is from an american company. Does anyone know if customs will add any tax, duty or other fee to the watch?

almost certainly add import duty - VAT rate I think.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 4, 2010, 06:33:42 pm »
I have an original Tissot T-touch got it in 2001, that was about £400.

If i was mega rich i would blow so much money on watches.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 4, 2010, 11:46:03 pm »
This one's for sale @ 450 £ - reselling for appr. 850-900 in UK at the mo. Worn once the seller states. I have NO connections to the seller - just had a look at some watch fora I visit and found this one...  :wave

http://www.friendsoforis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35319

If you're interested in getting reviews and opinions on all kinds of watches from watch owners vist this forum:

http://www.watchuseek.com/index.htm

Has LOADS and LOADS of info!  :o ;D

COMPLETELY agree! :wave My dad's Rolex that I am now wearing is 23 years old and I get it serviced every 4-5 years and it just works. Simple as!!

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 5, 2010, 12:04:19 am »
Haven't worn a watch in fecking years. And only had that one because it was one of them with a remote control built in.

I see a lot of huge gawdy shiny shite people wear these days. Less is more.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 5, 2010, 12:11:27 am »
I'm never without a watch, and have the following two...

and

although the face isn't brown.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #189 on: January 5, 2010, 12:12:35 am »
The fake bling bling ones are really annoying

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #190 on: January 5, 2010, 12:33:02 am »
Check this one out guys: might be a bit pricey but still cool:

http://www.watchshopuk.com/mens-nixon-51-30-chronograph-watch-a083-603-p99931688.html

Im a Nixon fan,got two

A super hero II and a Banks
« Last Edit: January 5, 2010, 12:38:06 am by Captain Tsubasa »
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #191 on: January 5, 2010, 12:34:08 am »
almost certainly add import duty - VAT rate I think.
Yeah,unless you get it sent as a gift right ?

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #192 on: January 5, 2010, 12:44:15 am »
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #193 on: January 5, 2010, 01:15:54 am »
I've always got my phone on me which tells me the time.
Is this it ?

YA FUCKING CHEAPSKATE!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 5, 2010, 09:10:23 am »
Yeah,unless you get it sent as a gift right ?

Exactly! I found an online watch-shop in Australia (!!) who himself offered to send watches as a gift to avoid import duty...

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #195 on: January 5, 2010, 09:25:47 am »
I got this at Xmas. Think it was between £150 and £200 (its £207.98 on Amazon)

That's a smart watch. Not too sure on the leather strap though. I like the metal bracelets but not the shiny bling ones, the brushed or gun mental effect is nice.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #196 on: January 5, 2010, 09:57:22 am »
I'm never without a watch, and have the following two...

My arm would be dead after each day of wearing that

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #197 on: January 5, 2010, 11:38:18 am »
My arm would be dead after each day of wearing that

You could wear it like a belt instead?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #198 on: January 5, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »
Used to work for Asprey, they're doing this limited edition for £80K - fill your boots

http://www.asprey.com/cat/timepieces/limited-editions/no-8-tourbillon-round-white-gold/1/

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #199 on: January 5, 2010, 02:30:22 pm »
Used to work for Asprey, they're doing this limited edition for £80K - fill your boots

http://www.asprey.com/cat/timepieces/limited-editions/no-8-tourbillon-round-white-gold/1/

"the 30 second revolution of the Tourbillon rather than the standard minute"

...er that's just shite ;D