Author Topic: Round Table: City 0-1 Liverpool - CC Semi 1st Leg  (Read 12460 times)

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
Round Table: City 0-1 Liverpool - CC Semi 1st Leg
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »
Best bus-parking job I can remember, certainly from a Liverpool team. It would take a team-and-a-half to get past that back seven.

Very professional job well done, and if anyone wants to mention the players they had missing, we've one or two of our own in the same boat.

Pretty much dominated them until Nasri replaced Balotelli and the extra man in midfield gave them far more possession than they'd had, but for all that, there were only a couple of really nervy moments. Didn't think they'd score personally, although I think their most likely chance would have come from confusion at the back from our lads who seemed unsure who was playing where for 5-10 minutes. Can't say I thought much of Johnson at left back, but needs must at times and that tackle on Aguero was a peach, although the later one on Adam Johnson was very close to the edge.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:58:19 pm by Barney_Suarez »
87:13

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Round Table: City 0-1 Liverpool - CC Semi 1st Leg
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »
Bus parking indeed.
I said to my lad after we brought Downing off for Enrique "what's happening here?" and then we bring Carra on for Craig Bellamy.  ;D
Still, we did the job in the first half and soaked everything they could throw at us in the second half.
I reckon Henderson is looking better every time he puts the red shirt on and puts so much effort in.
No complaints overall really.

I know what you're saying about Glenn's tackle on Lescott. At first glance it looked like a good clean tackle but when they showed the replay from behind you've got say he was very lucky not to go.

First half over, hopefully finish them off at Anfield..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:01:53 pm by Terry De Niro »

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:40:56 pm »
Our midfield completely lost its way defensively without Spearing. I think that's why Kenny experimented with Johnson there- he was trying to add a bit more mobility so we could press City better.

All in all, I thought we were exceptional. Kelly's mistake aside, we were completely flawless. There will be an element of our support who will have seen the opening fifteen minutes and thought City were for the taking, but we were right to respect them. To combat an attack with both Nasri and Aguero without a recognised defensive midfielder, I think you need to improvise in some way and we did just that.

The tie isn't over though. City have more than enough to cause us problems at Anfield, even without Kompany and Toure. Is Silva back? Either way, we're definitely going to have to be on our game. If Spearing's injured, we should really think about having to bring in reinforcement if we want to make it to Wembley imo.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »
If Spearing's injured, we should really think about having to bring in reinforcement if we want to make it to Wembley imo.

Said this when Lucas was injured, just in terms of having numbers who can break up attacks but now it's imperative if we're to manage two cup competitions and the league.
We could've tried to score more but I'd rather have a 1-0 than a 2-1 at this stage, even though two away goals are more advantageous. City don't look too happy playing against us, they were fortuitous to score 3 against us and we should've beaten them at home already this season. Without Toure, Kompany and possibly Silva, they'll be relying on Aguero to give them that drive. Once again Balotelli can't finish a game against us and City have Spurs just before coming to Anfield - will Mancini resist changing his team around for the second leg? Because at this rate he'll either risk burning out Aguero or leaving his best forward out.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

royhendo

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:11:21 am »
Our midfield completely lost its way defensively without Spearing.

Did it though?

To half time, it was tickety boo I felt. It was Nasri that changed things most for me.

We completely changed our approach 2nd half and with the games coming thick n fast, you can understand why we set the mousetrap. Agger and Skrtel were immense I thought. Hart too - 2 incredible saves kept them in it early on, not to mention Carroll's chance (God will one just go in for him).

De Jong and Barry with Lescott and Savic behind were straightforward to deal with. They couldn't build their momentum  and tempo and nobody was carrying the ball through midfield. Pop in Nasri though, and they were a different side altogether. Just shows you. Spearing was doing well, right enough, but I thought the shift was managerial more than anything else. It felt like Turin 2005 2nd half didn't it?

Great great win for me. :)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:21 am »
Did it though?

To half time, it was tickety boo I felt. It was Nasri that changed things most for me.

We completely changed our approach 2nd half and with the games coming thick n fast, you can understand why we set the mousetrap. Agger and Skrtel were immense I thought. Hart too - 2 incredible saves kept them in it early on, not to mention Carroll's chance (God will one just go in for him).

De Jong and Barry with Lescott and Savic behind were straightforward to deal with. They couldn't build their momentum  and tempo and nobody was carrying the ball through midfield. Pop in Nasri though, and they were a different side altogether. Just shows you. Spearing was doing well, right enough, but I thought the shift was managerial more than anything else. It felt like Turin 2005 2nd half didn't it?

Great great win for me. :)

Yeah, you're not wrong. Nasri hasn't exactly hit the ground running at City, but he's still a game-changer.

I just think that we'd have been able to cope better with Spearing there. Henderson, Adam and Gerrard aren't mobile enough off the ball. They held their position well and were disciplined, but sometimes you need somebody to break from the 'bank' and pursue the ball Mascherano/Sissoko style. We didn't have anybody in midfield capable of that, which is why I think we experimented with Johnson who has terrific energy levels.

royhendo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »
That's true - and we maybe needed it with Nasri on the park when it wasn't as urgent when they had Barry and De Jong. I'm just precious about Charlie ;D

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »
I don't think any other English team could go to Man City's stadium - as we did last night - and decide how the game was going to be played (at least for 45 minutes). The first half showed Liverpool to be more fluent at moving the ball around than Man City. Might it also have shown that we have a better squad? We're not supposed to say that because Mancini has spent what seems like half the Greek GDP on footballers. Both sides were missing key elements. Suarez, Enrique and Lucas for us, Kompany, Silva and Yaya Toure for them. Yet they struggled more than  we did to plug the holes.

When I saw de Jong and Barry lining up together on the City teamsheet I thought we'd have too much pace and ingenuity for them. It was a good feeling also to think that we had Agger-Skrtel in central defence while they had the untested Savic and the cumbersome Lescott (another centre back who looks to be up to his knees in quicksand when he has the ball).

And so it proved. Gerrard, Henderson and Spearing played round Sergeant-Major Barry and his boys. Luckily for them Bellamy had a quiet night on the right (marked by the excellent Clichy) while Glen Johnson offered nothing going forward on the left, often turning infield to buttress our supremacy in the centre while leaving Downing isolated (though not completely ineffectual) on the left flank. The pressure built and Joe Hart made a very good save from Stevie's curling shot and an excellent one from a ricochet. Then we got our pen, courtesy of a little Savic panic and a piece of thespianism from Agger. Gerrard showed that he has more than one way of taking the perfect spot kick. A deserved 1-0 to us.

Balotelli - so sluggish as usual against us - was replaced by Nasri and then the game changed, as it was always going to do. Nasri is stronger on the ball than Balotelli. He makes better runs. He moves the ball along much quicker. He, himself, is quicker. And so the second half showcased our towering defensive qualities. Agger, seems to me, to enjoy being put under pressure. We know he loves the creative of the game but it looks like he's in love with defending as well - showing his opponent that he can read his moves as if they've already been announced in the morning paper, showing them that they won't beat him for pace because they don't have a power pack (or is it a pair of wings?) on their back like he does. And it's no wonder that Skrtel is improving alongside a player of such stature. Glen Johnson was terrific as well in the second half. The only pity is that his studs-up follow-through on Lescott didn't end with him sliding into the shins of the prancing Mancini on the touchline. (Who likes Mancini? Is there anybody outside Eastlands?)

Finally Pepe reminded everyone that he's the finest goalkeeper in the Premier League. That, in some ways, was the most satisfying thing of the evening. Oh, along with the travelling Kop making it appear like another home game.

And how far we have come since Kenny returned. One thinks back in horror to the tactics employed by Hodgson in this away fixture about 15 months ago. Compare those with the aggressive intent shown at the kick-off last night, and the intelligence and adaptability in the second half when Mancini rung the changes and we had to play a different kind of game. We looked like a genuine Champions League outfit yesterday. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »
 Can understand where Garstonite and Roy are coming from because, as they might have already decided, it's the combination of Nasri coming on with speed and Spearing going off that means the game changes but as Yorkie points out few sides will be able to have that level of control at eastlands. It was European in conception. City might be a few players short, which we were being reminded of but a game like that is built for Lucas who has such passing ability and game intelligence for a 'holding midfielder' with him we could seriously think about holding on to the ball a bit more in them situations, imagine Suarez as an outlet?

However say Pepe concedes in injury time, Dalglish would be getting slaughtered missing the point that even depleted we are one of the few teams who could do that at the Eastlands, that's why when a team is building you have give more weight to the performances and what it shows we can do, I was satisfied even though my heart was in my mouth a few times
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »
Funny thing... I had it in mind that the Glenn Johnson tackle had been on Adam Johnson, later reinforced by Mancini himself in the post-match interview where he claimed it had been on "Adam", as he put it; (@1.09)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16522324.stm

So if the tackle was actually on Lescott (haven't seen it since the replay in the game, and watching the replay I was concentrating on Glenn Johnson), how the fuck can Mancini's view be taken seriously if he's got it as wrong as that?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:48:51 pm by Barney_Suarez »

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:17 pm »
Funny thing... I had it in mind that the Glenn Johnson tackle had been on Adam Johnson, later reinforced by Mancini himself in the post-match interview where he claimed it had been on "Adam", as he put it;

So if the tackle was actually on Lescott (haven't seen it since the replay in the game, and watching the replay I was concentrating on Glenn Johnson), how the fuck can Mancini's view be taken seriously if he's got it as wrong as that?

I thought it was on Adam Johnson too..

Definitely was on Lescott...http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/887140-glen-johnson-tackle-sparks-tunnel-bust-up-between-liverpool-and-manchester-city

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »
Funny thing... I had it in mind that the Glenn Johnson tackle had been on Adam Johnson, later reinforced by Mancini himself in the post-match interview where he claimed it had been on "Adam", as he put it;

Err, if you're quoting me on Lescott Barney then don't! I only saw it the once too and I had in mind it was Lescott. But Johnson sounds more plausible in that area of the pitch. 

I thought it was on Adam Johnson too..

Definitely was on Lescott...http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/887140-glen-johnson-tackle-sparks-tunnel-bust-up-between-liverpool-and-manchester-city
Ha! So Barney's point is a good one. Mancini obviously hadn't seen the tackle properly. Jerk.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:06:05 pm by yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »
And how far we have come since Kenny returned. One thinks back in horror to the tactics employed by Hodgson in this away fixture about 15 months ago. Compare those with the aggressive intent shown at the kick-off last night, and the intelligence and adaptability in the second half when Mancini rung the changes and we had to play a different kind of game. We looked like a genuine Champions League outfit yesterday.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. We just lost 3-0 at their place thanks to a series of individual errors. We lost the same match 3-0 last season, with a weaker side against a weaker City team. Manchester City didn't show much by way of controlling the midfield, in fact they seemed to focus solely on attacking down the flanks - a curious tactic given our strength in the full back areas. I'm on record here as not being a fan of Mancini but I think it showed just how much they lack a player who can dictate play from the centre of the park. When Nasri came on, it made a difference in style but not in quality. His passing was pretty erratic but his running did worry us. Intelligence and adaptability is quite funny with respect to the confusion on the pitch when Glen went into the middle ;D
But it's a big improvement on the league clash just a week (and a day) ago, let alone last season. Both ourselves and City are lacking a player in the form of Alonso, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, etc who can pull the strings from within our own half. While Adam has the ability to do that on a lower level to them (no big insult), he struggles with the defensive side that the previous three either don't or adapted their game to manage. This isn't news though, we knew going into the season that we didn't have a player any more who could do that and as class as Gerrard is, that's never been his game.

Defensively, we've looked solid for quite some time. Yet again, though, we seem to struggle in that area between the lines that Luis Garcia, Yossi Benayoun and a fully fit Gerrard used to exploit for fun. And the frustrating thing is, we used to have those players and lacked the supporting cast to let them express themselves.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:19:21 pm by Barney_Suarez »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 03:59:20 pm »
Did it though?

I think it was a little more than that, to be fair to Mancini.

Nasri came on with a little bit of time to go but occupied the same station as Balotelli, i.e. the left, and didn't do much apart from one shot. I thought Mancini changed things at half time, getting Clichy to push up much more and almost going to a three, with Lescott in the left back position (which, by the way, is where he was attacking from when Johnson clung him - not Adam Johnson. I think). This meant Nasri could move around more and float into the 10 position, where he started picking up space and ball in behind Gerrard and Adam.

The reaction from us was not to press Clichy back (understandably at 1-0) but to reinforce from the other side by bringing on Enrique and getting Johnson to sort of protect the back four. Then we hit on the idea of bringing on Carragher to annoy Nasri, which he did very well. I particularly liked the little cameo where Carra kicked Nasri and then expressed disappointment and horror when Nasri retaliated. Marvellous.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »
I checked these times last night on .tv

Jay went off on 22 minutes, Nasri came on at 38.

We were still running the show without Jay until Nasri's introduction, so it was more Nasri on, than Jay off that changed things.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »
Good game this was. Gerrard penalty he scored. Shut out City we did. Pleased I am.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

Johnson is very lucky he stayed on and didn't seriously injure Lescott.  It looked careless last night and looks worse today.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »

Johnson is very lucky he stayed on and didn't seriously injure Lescott.  It looked careless last night and looks worse today.

Only from that angle and even that one shows that Lescott was absolutely nowhere near the ball. The only contact he makes with anything is Johnsons backside - he's that far away.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

royhendo

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 04:11:56 pm »
Ha! Goowon Barney! ;D

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »

"I wonder though if we are now going to see an unprecedented wave of red cards on match days because we sanction ‘if’s’ and ‘maybe’s?"

Vincent Kompany.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »
"I wonder though if we are now going to see an unprecedented wave of red cards on match days because we sanction ‘if’s’ and ‘maybe’s?"

Vincent Kompany.

He's exactly right.

Fact is Johnson didnt injure Lescott, and was never in danger of doing so really.

No 'ifs' or 'maybes' needed. Johnson won the ball and the man was nowhere near him when he did so. End o' story.

The match itself was a classic 1st leg performance. We got a nice early goal and defended that lead very well. Going to Anfield with a 1-0 cushion is a job very well done. Considering for a lot of the game we were simply content to protect what we already have I think its unfair to judge any of our forward thinking players based on this outing. Save for the fact that they all worked very hard to ensure we kept our noses ahead.

The defence was rock solid. We never looked like conceding the whole night even with all of the subs and formation changes. Save for Kelly's backpass we were pretty faultless at the back. Skrtel and Agger are worth their weight in gold.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »
Ha! Goowon Barney! ;D

Face it Roy, Adam's crap. ;)

In fairness, I think corky is the one whose hit the nail on the head the best. Mancini's tinkering really came at half-time. He wanted to push us back and I think we were happy to oblige. One of the disadvantages of Big Andy up top on his own.

Offline Red_Potato

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Potato beats scissors
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »
The most surprising thing about last night was the incredible volume of bullshit being spouted on the post match thread about our performance being poor, we got lucky to get out with the win, embarrassing that we parked the bus, etc.... I literally fell off my chair reading some of the nonsense that was posted.
Let's put last night into perspective:
Every now and again, teams come to Anfield, including top teams, and grind out a result. They frustrate, defend in numbers, break down play, etc.... They get a draw or a sneaky win (or even, sometimes we just about get the win) and this site goes nuts with people saying we're not good enough, have too many average players, no cutting edge, bring back Torres, etc....
Well, last night it was our turn to grind out a result, and I think we did it in style. Bossed them first half. Got our goal. Shut the door second half. Yes, they had chances, but that's why we have a fucking world class keeper. He's not there to stand around looking pretty. We didn't just grind out a jammy result, like has happened against us at home so often. We had a plan, we compensated for set backs (Spearing) and we addressed as best we could our medium-long term losses (Lucas, Suarez).
It's been said often, but it's true - it was European-esque. Stay in the tie after the away leg (we did more than that) and use home advantage in the second leg. God knows how many cups that won us in the 70s and 80s.
Anyway, might not be the place to have a pop at the moaners last night, but I was genuinely shocked by the reaction. Mods, feel free to delete if out of place.
SOS member 7832

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »
Downing looked terrified of Richards.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline bruce64

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 05:21:51 pm »
I dont know what game half the people watched that are posting , but i NEVER got the feeling that Man City were going to score , NEVER . I dont think they had any penetration without Silva and Kompany , they looked a bit lost half the time , where i thought Liverpool had a plan and stuck to it .
I'm not saying it was pretty football and i have always felt defending a 1- 0 lead is dangerous but it worked so we move on . Come on you Redmen , lets show them how its done at Anfield in 2 weeks time

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 05:57:52 pm »
A solid defensive display. The partnership between Reina, Skrtel and Agger is slowly, but surely turning into the best defensive unit in the world. One of the best things Kenny has done here, was to create this trio.

I was pretty confident that we would win the game once I saw Citys line up, and as expected we dominated until Spearing went off. In the second half we went from dominating to just survive and I think we did a good defensive job at that.

Despite the many defensive positives, questions about the offensive players is still not answered. I still not sure of Carroll, he misplaced a lot of passes and is generally not good enough in possession and there is a lot left to be desired in his overall play and finishing.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:40:21 pm by Geezer08 »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:07 pm »

To be fair, it does look like Richards ate the last winger who tried to go past him.

But seriously, I was thinking about the game today and I couldn't remember if Downing played. I mean, I felt logically he had to but the biggest threat down that flank was Henderson when he moved out there for a brief spell.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »

But it's a big improvement on the league clash just a week (and a day) ago, let alone last season. Both ourselves and City are lacking a player in the form of Alonso, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, etc who can pull the strings from within our own half. While Adam has the ability to do that on a lower level to them (no big insult), he struggles with the defensive side that the previous three either don't or adapted their game to manage. This isn't news though, we knew going into the season that we didn't have a player any more who could do that and as class as Gerrard is, that's never been his game.

I'm not so sure we have that problem as much as city mate. I think lucas has shown he can control and start to dictate a game from midfield in the deeper areas. While he may not hit as many long passes as alonso I still think his vertical passing and first time passing sets the tempo for us and it has been severly lacking for me since his injury. City on the other hand have an average deeper central midfield for me and big reason for there lack of control in games as they rely on silva to do it and he can't do it against top opposition as forcing him deep means they have a lack of a final pass.

Offline Rormac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 07:22:10 pm »
Sometimes being ugly or pretty doesn't matter.  We outplayed them in nearly all the first half and got the goal.  Fantastic penalty.  And thank you Daniel.  2nd half we gave them the opportunity to show us how good they are and they showed how limited they are.  Half time, yes.  A bit Jeckyll and Hyde, yes.  Who cares.  I am chuffed that I am looking forward forward to the next leg.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 07:24:44 pm »
I'm not so sure we have that problem as much as city mate. I think lucas has shown he can control and start to dictate a game from midfield in the deeper areas. While he may not hit as many long passes as alonso I still think his vertical passing and first time passing sets the tempo for us and it has been severly lacking for me since his injury. City on the other hand have an average deeper central midfield for me and big reason for there lack of control in games as they rely on silva to do it and he can't do it against top opposition as forcing him deep means they have a lack of a final pass.

Lucas is definitely a good midfielder in that position but he's not a playmaker.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »
Before the game:

And not knowing how City would play, and more importantly - Silva not playing, I'd of been satisfied with a draw.

After the game, especially the first half and seeing how shite they were throughout

Dissapointed Kenny didn't have more faith in the lads, especially the 2nd half, City were there for the taking, easily the shittest they've been all season, we could of scored more but we chose to sit back and risk it for a 0-1, we might think its good at the moment but it may come back to haunt us, they'll be at least twice as good as they were at the CoMS, and with Silva still to come into the mix, this game is pretty much evens I think right now with them coming to Anfield losing 0-1 effectively.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:02 pm »

Not surprising really, Johnsons a solid lad and Richards managed to power past him.. Downing looks like a bit dropped off in comparison.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
Ok, where to start.

Absolutely made up we won, clean sheet at Etihad, missing two of our best players as well (they had key ones missing as well) and going back to anfield in a strong position.

There are lots of positives, particularly first half. Jay once again shows how effective he is, closing down, harrying and recycling possession quickly. Henderson keeps possession well, each game that goes by he looks more comfortable and obviously having someone like Stevie playing alongside him will do him the world of good. Carroll played well, unlucky not to get on the scoresheet and put a real shift in, tried his best to back in, win the ball in the air despite having no support from the midfield. Once again a great defensive rearguard, second half was confusing at times but the lads did enough to keep them out.

On the negative side, once again downing disappoints, even when we were on top we had the opportunity to put the tie to bed, downing just becomes to negative, scared almost in his play. A lot of action was going down the left hand side but we didnt capitalise and sometimes a lack of concentration by downing also let them in once or twice. Gutted jay got injured, consequently Charlie Adam lacks a little common sense, making stupid tackles, like downing losing concentration too. Things easily eradicated from his game but they keep cropping up.

Makes for a really intriguing second leg though, they need to score but I'm not to sure we have the players capable of counter attacking, certainly, Bellamy can but Adam, Carroll, Downing all slow the pace down too much for it to be really effective.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:43 pm »
Lucas is definitely a good midfielder in that position but he's not a playmaker.

I think he's a great ball player personally and his short passing is class, for me anyway. He has shown with movement around him he can exploit with his passing.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:02 pm »
A game of two halfs last night :) We looked like we wanted to tear City a new one in the first half where a 2 or 3 goal lead would have not flattered us while in the second we went European style knowing a 1-0 result would really set us up well for the return leg. It was not a pretty game to watch for the unbiased fans, as my brother who is supports neither team was yawning by the end of the game. I could not care less as really did not expect to win this one after the 3-0 loss the other week.

Positives - Again we look solid as hell, SG and Henderson did well and so did Spearing before his injury. Bellamy was his usual busy self and overall just delighted to see Kenny get the best of the tactics of the night.

Negatives - Just cannot put the ball in the back of the net from open play sometimes. Could have really closed up shop with a 2-0 win at least. Carroll was causing some issues for City and the run of games will help his cause I hope as at the moment he looks a yard off the pace / touch like a brick wall.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »
Just a repost of what I said in the Tactics thread.

I said before the game that I thought City would let us  have the ball tonight, like last week, with the idea of catching us on the break and putting their chances away. They did that initially but thats not to take away our own performance but I saw it going the same way, especially after Carroll's effort was saved. As the game went on, after we scored, we continued to boss posession until the last 10 minutes or so of the 1st half.
Fine.
Then what we did next was genius.
We let them have the ball and said 'Get through us if you can', and that was something they did not expect.
They had so  much of the ball there were times when you were naturally nervous and a few mistakes from us helped them keep the ball
even better, but yes we parked the Bus.
Our first semi final for years, 2 legs, away from home - Sorry but it was superb from Kenny and Co.
They had no solution, no penetration, and we stcuk to our guns, kept level heads, kept fantastic concentration throughout.
The lads did superbly well.

The next game is a different kettle of fish all together but we all know about the 12th man, I was offered a ticket for the 2nd leg the other day
but im proper skinto so had to say no, Gutted now.

Its gonna be an interesting night
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:05 pm »
Best bus-parking job I can remember, certainly from a Liverpool team. It would take a team-and-a-half to get past that back seven.

Very professional job well done, and if anyone wants to mention the players they had missing, we've one or two of our own in the same boat.

Pretty much dominated them until Nasri replaced Balotelli and the extra man in midfield gave them far more possession than they'd had, but for all that, there were only a couple of really nervy moments. Didn't think they'd score personally, although I think their most likely chance would have come from confusion at the back from our lads who seemed unsure who was playing where for 5-10 minutes. Can't say I thought much of Johnson at left back, but needs must at times and that tackle on Aguero was a peach, although the later one on Adam Johnson was very close to the edge.

I'll be honest barney, just on the first point. I don't think it was as good a bus parking as we did in the run to the uefa cup final against barca at their place. At least we made it out of our own half and actually bossed the first half in this one ;D

In my opinioni thought our whole performance changed once Jay went off. Seemed to be the pivitol moment for us to close up shop.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:06 pm »
The injury to Spearing dictated the arrival of Enrique and Carragher in the second half, we had no defensive midfielder so Glen eventually got the message about him acting as Stevie's bag man, we need to remember we had Adam, Henderson and a still partially fit Gerrard trying to shore up the midfield. Having said it was a great display by all and include the much and wrongly maligned Carroll in that, the lad worked his socks off last night.
It is worth noting that without their keeper we could have been 2-0 before the pen , and he was certainally
busier than Pepe in the first half, I can only remember one time when he was extended in the first!
in the second for the reason above we defended deeper and in greater numbers but even then they had I believe only three clear cut chances and one of those we created for them!

All in all great nights work and reminded me so much of many of our great away performances in Europe! A job needed doing and the boys did that job well.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No longer goes the game. Thread-starter bore
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »
played (at least for 45 minutes). The first half showed Liverpool to be more fluent at moving the ball around than Man City. Might it also have shown that we have a better squad?

Sorry - but you'll have to expand on this
Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.