Author Topic: Rodgers weaving new tapestry  (Read 8670 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Rodgers weaving new tapestry
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:16:40 pm »
I've not put something up on here for a while which is disgusting of me considering I'm one of the RAWK Writers - blame the Olympics and 12-hour days. I'm now ESPN's Liverpool correspondent, so here's my first piece.

There was something eerily reminiscent of the great Liverpool sides of the 1970s and 1980s when its current incarnation demolished Belarusian side FC Gomel in the Europa League.

There was an innate desire to keep the ball and keen determination to win it back. The movement was intelligent, the passing pin-point and the swaggering galling to the opposition. But most importantly, three times the net - restored to its glorious red hue - shimmered under the Anfield floodlights.

The red nets are back after nearly 20 years away. In parts of Asia, red is the symbol of good luck; at Anfield, it is a symbol of dominance. When David Fairclough waltzed through the St. Etienne defence, when Jan Molby shimmied past a number of Manchester United players, when Rush was Ian Rush, the ball nested in the net. The net was red.

Those red nets presided over Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Barnes; it formed the backdrop of famous cup wins, league championships and an effervescent Kop. When removed in the mid-1990s after players claimed it made the goal harder to see, it was met with a mere shrug of the shoulders. Football was changing. The standing Kop was no more; Liverpool were no longer the dominant force of English football. Football had changed.

To suggest Brendan Rodgers restoring red nets at Anfield is anything but a boost for nostalgia would be droll. You could be forgiven for thinking the appointment is one for nostalgia. Rodgers' claim at his unveiling that he will "fight for his life" for both the club and the city of Liverpool was evocative of his most celebrated ancestors; the same ancestors who adorn his office wall, black and white reminders of a simpler, more successful time. His belief that opponents at Anfield should experience the longest 90 minutes of their life could have come from the mouths of Shankly and Paisley themselves.

But Rodgers does not want to be the next Bill Shankly or Bob Paisley, nor does he want to be Fagan, Dalglish, Houllier or Benitez. He wants to be the first and only Brendan Rodgers, bringing his own brand of success to the club. Herein lies the dichotomy: one of the world's most traditional clubs has hired one of the country's most innovative managers.

And how Liverpool Football Club are in need of innovation. It is a club that has been capsized in the waves made by clubs such as Manchester United, both commercially and competitively. It is too, in fairness, a club that circled the drain just two years ago, moments from administration. The effects are still being felt.

The short-termism began during the ownership of Hicks and Gillett and has continued ever since. Players in their prime like Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano were sold, relations with others like Fernando Torres left untenable. The squad now has a chasm devoid of players in their prime, with only Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas and Suarez looking to fill it.

Gerrard, Carragher and Cole are too old; Kelly, Carroll and Henderson are too young. It was little surprise to see Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez, Craig Bellamy and Alberto Aquilani leave - decisions not made on footballing reason alone, but also a failure to justify high salaries for players who will never recapture their peak form.

It is the job of Rodgers to get the current band of players to move the club in the right direction. It is also the job of Fenway Sports Group, the ownership of Liverpool, to assist with that. So far, so good off the pitch: the multi-million pound deal with kit manufacturer Warrior will not set supporter pulses racing, but displays a nous off the pitch missing far too long. On the pitch however, supporters' worries of short-termism will not have been subsided with the sacking of Kenny Dalglish over the summer.

Now is the time for FSG to back their man. For Rodgers to deliver his vision for the club, FSG must support him. Rodgers' vision is an interesting one; again, a dichotomy appears. His long-term plan to have Liverpool as a relentless passing, press 4-3-3 side is supplemented with his belief of making quick fix solutions to problems. He told BBC Sport's Ben Smith in an interview that: "sometimes it is just a little change, working on people's minds, giving them confidence and the belief that wherever we go in the world, we are good enough to win the game".

The innovator likes to keep things simple too, then. Sometimes it is the simple things that need fixing. One of the biggest complaints of Liverpool last year was the lack of forward-thinking from Dalglish. Players did not know their roles as Dalglish did not know how exactly he wanted from his squad. Some supporters believe Dalglish's side were unlucky, the perpetual striking of the woodwork proving the team's ultimate downfall. Rodgers might put that theory to the test; the width of the woodwork is the sort of thing he will revel correcting.

Liverpool's eighth-placed finish last season was not down to the woodwork alone, if at all. A lack of control in midfield and a lack of goals scuppered their chances in a number of games. Rodgers has sought to address this by signing Joe Allen and Fabio Borini, with other targets such as Nuri Sahin and Theo Walcott ticking those boxes too.

The style Rodgers wants was already on show against FC Gomel. Supporters cannot and will not get carried away at his first competitive game at Anfield - with a one-goal advantage from a slightly fortuitous away victory in Belarus - it gave Suarez, Gerrard and others the opportunity to express without fear of recrimination. The only real likening to the sides of the 1970s and 1980s was the ease in which a European minnow was disposed of. And those red nets, of course.

The season may be days away but for Rodgers, it's a mere weave at the start of the tapestry. He knows this is only the beginning. The theory is sound, now for the practice: if he gets it right, then those red nets might yet witness a few more magic moments woven into the history of the football club.

Link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool?cc=5739

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: Rodgers weaving new tapestry
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »
Very good as always mate, and best of luck with the well deserved new gig :wave

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:21:46 pm »
Brilliant post. Good luck with ESPN
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »
Enjoyed the article, thanks.

I wonder how long Brendan really thinks the realisation of his vision will take?

Of course, new methods and a new approach will take time, but how long? Surely our current batch of players have the ability to pass and move. Fitting that into a framework that involves a new formation and a pressing style of play....how difficult will that be?

We all need to be patient but I just wonder if it can be pulled off quicker than we all think.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:44:17 pm »
Good Article. I hope that we give Brendan enough time to fine tune his system.

Offline MONTREAL_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »
Nice read that, best of luck with ESPN.
"OH! What a dog's hole is Manchester"
- Sir John Byng

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:40 pm »
Love the air of optimism! Good work!

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:10:25 pm »
Nice article and woah ESPN, decent gig that, good luck.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »
Good post L6

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:18:32 pm »
Good piece that. The age issue is quite big and was even worse last season - the older players were already past their peak, and the younger ones even rawer.

Though, to be honest, I'm starting to get slightly annoyed over people saying how much more fluid our midfield played against Gomel compared to last season. I'm sure if we had Lucas, Gerrard, and Suarez playing consistently last season, we'd looked a lot more fluid too. But all three of them missed large chunks of the season. Instead we had Spearing, Henderson, and Adam in midfield, and Carroll upfront.

Oh yeah, good luck with the new job!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
Well written piece mate. Wish I was as articulate. Congrats on the new gig - delighted for you and it's great to see a RAWK ite out on the big stage like that.

Offline long.

• Anny Roader
  • He shoots... he SCORES!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »
Brilliant writting L6, i'll keep an eye out for your espn articles.

The fact that Brendan has decided to bring back the red nets to anfield, symbolizes everything about him. I love that he did that, a truly wise decision in every way.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:40 pm »
Enjoyed the article, thanks.

I wonder how long Brendan really thinks the realisation of his vision will take?

Of course, new methods and a new approach will take time, but how long? Surely our current batch of players have the ability to pass and move. Fitting that into a framework that involves a new formation and a pressing style of play....how difficult will that be?

We all need to be patient but I just wonder if it can be pulled off quicker than we all think.

I think you're possibly right in the sense that it might be possible that things are achieved quicker than people think, simply because we underachieved last season based on the talent we had. However, Rafa Benitez also inherited a side with plenty of good technical players and tried to teach them a new style of playing and that first season we finished a place lower in the league with hugely inconsistent performances. Probably ten of the best and ten of the worst performances in recent times happened in that season. And we won a cup competition and got to the final of another (i'm the last person to detract from the miracle that was Istanbul so please don't accuse me of it). In essence it was very similar to Kenny's first full season this time around. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see good signs this season but lack some consistency. If that is the case we must not make the same mistake (yes, mistake) as getting rid of Kenny. Two full seasons is an absolute minimum and to me the aim is simple, to progress. Rodgers might well be restoring some tradition with the red nets, we need to remember the tradition of backing our managers.

Great read by the way Kris, and congrats for the well deserved new job.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:28 pm »
Good luck - I liked the last guy on ESPN but he rarely wrote/blogged stories - it might have been once a month on average.  I hope you are able to do more.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »
Missed your pieces on here Kris, definitely one of the best contributers to RAWK.  Congrats on your new post and best of luck.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »
Fucking disgrace! Airbrushing Roy Hodgson from the pantheons of Liverpool managers. How quickly we forget famous victories in Turkey.

Nice work Kristian, and good to see you back on here. I liked the nice subtle hints and reminders to the owners to stick to their promises, back our new manager with time and patience, and keep Agger (unless I'm reading too much into your article.)
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:36 pm »
Thanks and it's nice to see some constructive optimism.
#JFT97

Offline TheBionicCarrot

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream...
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »
Very nice article.

I'm sure it was just an innocent oversight - but it was a bit unfair on Johnson to exclude him from the list of players in their prime.  I personally consider him to be the best attacking full back in the league.
Our lads come from all over the place
They talk ded funny and they play ded great

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »
Nice article and congrats on landing the ESPN role
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:25 pm »
Nice work mate!

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »
Good feelgood article for the start of the season - thanks for that :)

Interested in the list "Those red nets presided over Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Barnes;" - is there a reason for including Barnes in a list that seemed to be of managers?

(Just out of curiosity like!)

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 02:16:19 pm »
I think you're possibly right in the sense that it might be possible that things are achieved quicker than people think, simply because we underachieved last season based on the talent we had. However, Rafa Benitez also inherited a side with plenty of good technical players and tried to teach them a new style of playing and that first season we finished a place lower in the league with hugely inconsistent performances. Probably ten of the best and ten of the worst performances in recent times happened in that season. And we won a cup competition and got to the final of another (i'm the last person to detract from the miracle that was Istanbul so please don't accuse me of it). In essence it was very similar to Kenny's first full season this time around. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see good signs this season but lack some consistency. If that is the case we must not make the same mistake (yes, mistake) as getting rid of Kenny. Two full seasons is an absolute minimum and to me the aim is simple, to progress. Rodgers might well be restoring some tradition with the red nets, we need to remember the tradition of backing our managers.

Great read by the way Kris, and congrats for the well deserved new job.

couldn't agree more. I think we would find it easier with the pattern of play on the ball. We have been a decent passing side under Kenny and he implemented that quite quickly. It's the off the ball pressing that might take a bit of time to get used to for the players.

Still reckon we should see signs of Rodgers style come out quite quickly without coming nowhere near perfecting it. By the end of Feb-Mar I think we should see results as well as style. But as L6 said, he'd need to be backed by the owners and not just chuck him out if he falls below expectation.
Justice for the 96

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »
Good post and congrats on ESPN.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 03:59:44 pm »
I'm now ESPN's Liverpool correspondent

Is that really your official title?

The article is in the blog section. What do Mike Whalley and Richard Jolly do? http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/news?id=364&cc=4716

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 04:15:27 pm »
Cheers everyone for the kind comments.

Good feelgood article for the start of the season - thanks for that :)

Interested in the list "Those red nets presided over Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Barnes;" - is there a reason for including Barnes in a list that seemed to be of managers?

(Just out of curiosity like!)

I was going to put Rush, but mentioned him in the par before. The idea was Dalglish was the centre of all of this. Manager, manager, manager/player, player, player. Once I took Rush out though, it didn't really work!

Is that really your official title?

The article is in the blog section. What do Mike Whalley and Richard Jolly do? http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/news?id=364&cc=4716

Yes, that's what I have been assigned. ESPN FC (nee Soccernet) is changing a bit over the next few weeks, you'll see what I mean when it fully kicks in. Mike Whalley and Richard Jolly will still be writing about the club, but I will be also. It's in the blog section because it's, er, a blog.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 04:19:06 pm »
Excellent piece. I'm sure one of those now & again more than justifies the Rawk scribe.

I'd add Johnson to our A list players also

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »
Johnson was just an oversight, he'll be brilliant under Rodgers this season.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Rodgers weaving new tapestry
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 04:29:39 pm »
Good read that. Certainly intrigued about the upcoming season with Rodgers in charge.
 Well in on the ESPN job n all!

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »
Very good and well done!
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »
Cheers everyone for the kind comments.

I was going to put Rush, but mentioned him in the par before. The idea was Dalglish was the centre of all of this. Manager, manager, manager/player, player, player. Once I took Rush out though, it didn't really work!

Thought that was the linkage alright! John Barnes will like it that Rush was left out :D

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 05:17:54 pm »
Good seeing you posting again Kris, thanks.

Good read, (as always), this one left me scratching me head tho

Players did not know their roles as Dalglish did not know how exactly he wanted from his squad.

Not sure what you mean really? Do the first part relate to, as been said numerous times - that Dalglish told the lads to 'just go out and play'? As opposed to a more, what to say.. detailed instructions for each player? And the last part, maybe it's just me, but I don't quite get that. He [Dalglish] did not know what/how we wanted his team to play?

Anyhoots, as said, good to see you post and nice swan on the gig!

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Wee Red Steve

• Anny Roader
  • I wish Robbie Fowler was my dad!
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 05:19:42 pm »
Great read
Oh! Liked what she saw? Dug my action did she!? Checkin out the Chan Chan Man!!

Chandler Bing

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 05:47:50 pm »
Well in on the ESPN gig.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »
That was the best thing I've ever read.

Just printed it out and put it on my toilet door to read when I'm having a shit.

YNWA
cyas

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »
Good luck in your new job.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:25 pm »
Best of luck with your new job, doing what a lot of us wish we were doing. They are certainly always very optimistic (fergies shitting it, we'll win it under rafa, hodgson could be our paisley, dalglish will win the league with liverpool, the backing of our transfer policy last summer) which is quite refreshing on this forum but it would also be my only criticism as it's kind of what everyone wants to hear.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 06:25:36 pm »
Good read and sincere congratulations L6, some of us RAWK newbies have followed your journey to where you are now. Well done, hopefully its the start of your's & Brendan's many accomplishments.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 06:30:21 pm »
good stuff and congrats.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 11:41:10 pm »
good read and congrats on the gig