Author Topic: Anfield's forgotten men  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Walton Breck Road

• Wants Fernando's babies
  • Kopite
Anfield's forgotten men
« on: April 7, 2010, 05:22:37 pm »
The name Tom Watson might not ring a bell with most of our fans but he was a very key figure for the club in the pre-war era as the first manager to bring the First Division championship back in 1901.

It was also his side that won the title in 1906, prompting the Anfield directors to build the Kop in recognition of the team's achievement and he deserves a special place in LFC folklore for that alone in my opinion.

Although we lost the 1914 FA Cup final to Burnley, he was the first manager to take us to one which shouldn't be forgotten.

Before he came to Merseyside, he lifted the title three times in eight seasons with Sunderland so he was definitely a born winner.

Such was his influence that, like Shanks, former players of his turned out in force at his funeral and some acted as pallbearers including Alex Raisbeck and Ted Doig, another interesting character from those early years at Anfield.

Not only was he the club's oldest debutant at 37 years old but he was also the oldest first-team player at 41 when he turned out against Newcastle United in April 1908.

The reason why I gave you this brief history lesson is because I'm going to visit the graves of these two gents at Anfield Cemetery later this week as part of a project I'm involved with. Ted's headstone is blank whilst Tom's burial plot isn't even marked.

Don't know about you but I think it's a crying shame that these two individuals' final resting places have been allowed to fall into decline and in Tom's case, be erased from sight.

Liverpool helped rededicate the grave of the Reverend Ben Swift Chambers - one of the Founding Fathers of Merseyside football - in West Yorkshire and that of Elisha Scott in Belfast but there has been no willingness from the club, as far as I know, to do the same for Tom Watson or Ted Doig - whose grandson is incidentally a statistician for LFC - who lay just a few hundred yards from Anfield itself.

Talking to a few local historians and the like about this so that we can try and have fitting tributes for these two fine gentlemen that stands alongside the grand memorials of some of the club's former chairmen who also reside in Anfield Cemetery.

For now folks, please keep this on here as it's only early days
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:28:46 pm by Walton Breck Road »
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Re: Anfield's forgotten men
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »

Thanks for this mate.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2010, 05:36:45 pm »
Nice one mate. I knew of Tom Watson but never knew the Kop was down to him and his team. What a shame this isn't more widely known and recognised. Good luck to you and all involved.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2010, 05:40:28 pm »
Nice project you have going here mate, good luck with it.

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 7, 2010, 05:44:37 pm »
Well done very insightful, best of luck with your project.
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: April 7, 2010, 05:55:08 pm »
A bit more info:

Ned Doig won 4 Football League championship medals with Sunderland's renowned 'Team of all Talents' (1892, 1893, 1895, 1902). He was also a Scottish international. Ned's manager at Sunderland for the first 3 of these championships was Tom Watson.

Watson came to LFC as manager in 1896 succeeding John McKenna. In 1904 he signed 41-year-old Ned Doig - the oldest player ever to sign for LFC.

Ned won a Second Division championship medal with LFC in 1905 and the following season a First Division championship medal. He played in the LFC first team at the age of 43 - still a record as the oldest player to appear for the club. (Kenny Dalglish was 39, the oldest post-war player.)

Watson's team with Doig in it was the first to play in front of the newly created Kop. They were both also involved in the Ibrox disaster.

great work mate!
didnt know that watson was scottish and at rangers back then, maybe he had something to do with archibald leach coming down here to build the kop (apart from the roof!)
preston won the first 2 league titles then everton won the next one and after that watson won 3 out of the next four titles with sunderland, watson was winning league titles before this club was formed!
to have a record like that and then to go to another club (here) and win the league with them he must have been a great manager.

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 7, 2010, 06:24:24 pm »
Great Work!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 7, 2010, 07:50:23 pm »
I have had the pleasure of meeting and corresponding with Eric Doig on a number of occasions. Apart from being probably the most respected and knowledgeable LFC statistician in the world with a truly astonishing collection of memorabilia, he is hugely proud (and rightly so) of his grandfather's achievements with both Sunderland and Liverpool. It's nice for Eric to know that over 90 years after his grandfather's death, efforts are being made to ensure that some of our famous ex-players, the Forgotten Men that Walton Breck Road highlighted, might be remembered by future generations of Liverpool supporters too. 

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 7, 2010, 11:34:32 pm »
Cracking thread

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #9 on: April 7, 2010, 11:47:54 pm »
Brilliant stuff.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #10 on: April 8, 2010, 03:09:34 am »
Great read

Its a shame those two important men's graves have fallen into decline, surely the club to mark their lives can stump up a bit of cash to fix them up.

Offline Arnie

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: April 8, 2010, 10:49:18 am »
-its cold in the stands-
"didnt know that watson was scottish and at rangers back then, maybe he had something to do with archibald leach coming down here to build the kop (apart from the roof!)"

- Tom Watson was a Geordie, not Scottish... Here's more info on Liverpool's longest serving manager, one of the greatest figures in Liverpoool FC's history.

http://www.lfchistory.net/managers_articles_view.asp?article_id=2472&manager_id=2

-Walton Breck Road-
Hope you do well with your project.. say hello to Eric from me. :-)

Cheers, Arnie editor of LFChistory.net

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: April 8, 2010, 10:50:02 am »
Great read

Its a shame those two important men's graves have fallen into decline, surely the club to mark their lives can stump up a bit of cash to fix them up.

Sunderland will definitely get involved I think as Watson was not only the first manager to lift the title for them but also their first ever manager.
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Offline NeverWalkAlone96

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #13 on: April 8, 2010, 11:12:46 am »
Great read- they certainly should not be forgotten.  Good luck with this.

Offline Ingumsky

• Anny Roader
    • Russian-speaking Liverpool supporters
« Reply #14 on: April 8, 2010, 05:21:02 pm »
Great work! Thank you!
Wild rover, Irish rover

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 8, 2010, 05:37:04 pm »
Sorry to say this in here. It really does make me sad to say it, but I've got to...
it reminds of the recent Shankly anniversary threads. The club couldn't give a toss and only a small minority on here did either. But open a thread on any practically any other subject, and within days it's pages and pages long... usually of Rafa in/out.

Time to stop kidding ourselves. Except for some good people who know the Liverpool Way, (that's old, young, local, oot and ooc), we're just another football club.

Thought long and hard about posting this. Nearly sacked it, but anyway...
Well in Walton Breck mate and all involved. And I know I've got a nerve. I only get to 10/15 games a season, but it's nice to know there's people who still carry the torch. 
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 8, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
Keep up the great work lad... I'm with Fat Scouser on this, we should all remember and respect our roots.
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #17 on: April 8, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »
Rich, this should be a regular feature in Well Red mate.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

royhendo

« Reply #18 on: April 8, 2010, 10:53:13 pm »
Great stuff this :)

Offline tinkertailor

• ...Beggarman. Thief!
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: April 8, 2010, 10:57:00 pm »
Smashing story. Best of luck with all this.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 8, 2010, 11:54:11 pm »
-its cold in the stands-
"didnt know that watson was scottish and at rangers back then, maybe he had something to do with archibald leach coming down here to build the kop (apart from the roof!)"

- Tom Watson was a Geordie, not Scottish... Here's more info on Liverpool's longest serving manager, one of the greatest figures in Liverpoool FC's history.

http://www.lfchistory.net/managers_articles_view.asp?article_id=2472&manager_id=2

-Walton Breck Road-
Hope you do well with your project.. say hello to Eric from me. :-)

Cheers, Arnie editor of LFChistory.net

cheers mate
that was a great read, fascinating at the end of that piece to read the words of the great echo journalist ernest `bee` edwards too.
i`ve heard that when archibald leach built the main stand at goodison `bee` tried to get them to call it the `mauretania` stand but it didnt catch on, lucky he had more success with the red half of the city when he had an idea what to call the newly built stand that backed onto walton breck road!
excellent site by the way mate.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2010, 12:29:48 am »
Well in WBR mate.

Fascinating and very sad at the same time.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

• Kopite
Re: Anfield's Forgotten Men
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:58:39 am »
Unmarked graves of Liverpool FC legends discovered in Anfield Cemetery

A pair of neglected graveyard plots, lying in the shadow of Anfield stadium, are the last resting place of two men who inspired the building of its famous Kop stand.

Researchers have found that Liverpool's first successful manager, Tom Watson, and his favourite goalkeeper Ted Doig, are both buried in unmarked graves in Anfield Cemetery.

Now Liverpool supporters are calling for tombstones to be erected on each of the anonymous plots, to honour the names of men whose exploits make them legends in the club's early history.

Full story: http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/128852-unmarked-graves-of-liverpool-fc-legends-discovered-in-anfield-cemetery.html
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »
Sorry to say this in here. It really does make me sad to say it, but I've got to...
it reminds of the recent Shankly anniversary threads. The club couldn't give a toss and only a small minority on here did either. But open a thread on any practically any other subject, and within days it's pages and pages long... usually of Rafa in/out.

Time to stop kidding ourselves. Except for some good people who know the Liverpool Way, (that's old, young, local, oot and ooc), we're just another football club.

Thought long and hard about posting this. Nearly sacked it, but anyway...
Well in Walton Breck mate and all involved. And I know I've got a nerve. I only get to 10/15 games a season, but it's nice to know there's people who still carry the torch. 

Don´t be hard on yourself mate,there are a few of us who know what you mean and i´m sure Ritchie won´t take it personally.

Well in WBR mate.

Fascinating and very sad at the same time.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 05:31:41 pm »
I agree with FS.
Wouldn't you think that someone at the club would have taken an interest in this  earlier?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:33:21 pm by Terry De Niro »

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 06:20:57 pm »
I agree with FS.
Wouldn't you think that someone at the club would have taken an interest in this  earlier?

Think it was more of a case that they weren't aware of this. I know I wasn't until it was pointed out to me.

Brian Hall's been in touch with Eric Doig so there might be something in the offing, especially with it being 95 years since Watson's death.
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 07:38:30 pm »
Jesus,how could this happen?? It's not like they were some no marks.Tom Watson won the first league title and then promoted the club up again after the relegation and then won the league again.

He was Shankly before Shankly and it's a disgrace that he was buried in an unmarked grave.

Obviously,everyone knows and apreciates what Shankly did for LFC but I always thought that Liverpool's pre-Shankly times and triumphs are pretty much ignored among the majority of fans and the "general consensus" seems like LFC's history began with Shankly.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »
Jesus,how could this happen??

Presumably money was tight back in those times and their final resting places were forgotten over time.
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »
Maybe SOS and / or CP/ MB could get this sorted. Not sure how you set up a page to gather funds and I am sure the Family would have to be traced? And this website has enough goodness to sort. Sure of that.

Anyone?

Edit:  seen the reports and it seems people are already moving, will chip in if required.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:03:25 pm by pheel »
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 10:29:18 pm »
Bump.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:53 pm »
Thanks for posting Walton Brek, was nice to read.
Agree with FS too about peoples lack of interest and carrying the torch.

Lets hope something can be done here.