Author Topic: Liverpool vs Chelsea: Locking Horns  (Read 12243 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Liverpool vs Chelsea: Locking Horns
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:14:55 pm »
Familiarity breeds contempt. After ten games in less than two years, it's fair to say there's not a lot of love lost between Liverpool and Chelsea. Bad blood has been clearly apparent. But it’s a sign of both teams’ strength that many of these games have been taking place in the latter stages of competitions.

I have a lot of respect for the Chelsea team – it's an excellent unit – and it's manager, Jose Mourinho, in terms of his ability in his role. I just don't particularly admire the way the squad was put together (so much money from outside football, and indeed outside England), and I don't particularly like their manager's arrogance; of course, not that he'll lose sleep about that.

Chelsea's win-rate in the last two seasons has been exceptional, and they've got full value for their £300m. Well, nearly. While us Reds crave another league title, they'd love a first European Cup.

Man-for-man, Rafa has dramatically narrowed the gap on Chelsea this season. The Reds back four might not receive quite as many plaudits individually, but if anything they have even more defensive organisation, and a quite remarkable offside trap that rivals Arsenal's from the late '80s in terms of apparent telepathy.

Goalkeeper was one area where Chelsea were clearly ahead last season. Dudek was inconsistent, and Kirkland was in traction. This season, Pepe Reina has been every bit as effective as Petr Cech. It's lazy to suggest anyone could keep goal behind the current Liverpool back four; Reina has added many aspects, and he's also been alive to any danger after spells of being a virtual spectator. Most crucially, his defence trusts his decision making, and that's a massive factor.

In midfield, Momo Sissoko may be a little more raw than Essien, as is to be expected of a man who's only just 21, but he's been every bit as good as the Ghanian, who cost four times as much; not that Chelsea were not counting the pennies. Sissoko may go on to eclipse Essien in time, but Chelsea paid for a player they knew would settle quickly, with all his Champions League experience; Liverpool had to gamble on Sissoko, and so far it's paid off handsomely.

Up front, both teams have gangly strikers ridiculed by opposing fans, but Peter Crouch and Didier Drogba do hugely effective jobs for their teams. Crouch has the better touch and awareness, while Drogba has more pace and strength. Both weigh in with a decent amount of goals, without ever being prolific; most crucially, they help other players score goals and give their teams good shape.

In fact, up front is the one area where Chelsea don't have a lot of depth in their über-squad. Crespo is a great player and a quality finisher, as we saw in Istanbul and again at Stamford Bridge, but Drogba seems to suit the system better. Gudjohnsen is another fine player, but doesn't play as an out-and-out striker. Then comes Carlton Cole, who won't worry too many defences.

The Reds also lack sufficient depth up front, and are clearly weakened by the ineligibility of Robbie Fowler, whose form in recent weeks has surprised none of those whose faith in his finishing remained strong; in a team creating chances, he will score goals. He just won't create them on his own from the halfway line.

With Morientes' form patchy at best (but still a quality player, which has been proven over the years), deciding on his strikers will be the top priority for Benítez over the summer. Fowler may well join on a permanent basis, but even if he does, he won't be the only front-man arriving, with a quick and reliable finisher still required.

In the centre of the park, Steven Gerrard is superior in nearly all aspects to Frank Lampard - himself seen as pretty close to the perfect midfielder. Gerrard has more pace, skill, strength, is far more versatile and is a better passer. Goalscoring was the one area where Gerrard seemed miles behind, but last season the Liverpool captain's goals-per-start record was better (he missed two months of the season), while this season Gerrard trails Lampard by 20 goals to 19, but Lampard's tally includes two more penalties. So you'd have to call that a tie, now that Gerrard is allowed more scope to attack than he was under Gérard Houllier.

The only areas I'd score Lampard above Gerrard is in his superhuman ability to stay fit, a little less 'excitability', and in the consistency of his deliveries from dead balls.

Central midfield is the one area where Liverpool are stronger than any other English side, especially when you add Didi Hamann to the equation: along with Claude Makelele, the German's name became synonymous with the holding role as a kind of shorthand, summing up the perfect anchoring job in midfield. So strong are the Reds in this area, Hamann has been forced out of the picture somewhat, although he remains a crucial squad player.

Chelsea don't have anyone quite like Xabi Alonso: the best passer in the country. When the Reds play a central three of Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko, there's a bit of everything. Lampard is a very good long-passer, but Gerrard and Alonso are masters.

The defence is the hardest area to split the two teams. If Gerrard shades Lampard in most respects, then I have to concede that John Terry edges out Jamie Carragher. Not that I'd swap: Carra gives something to Liverpool that Terry couldn't, and vice versa (Chelsea fans may think the same about Gerrard and Lampard) – although Terry's goals are an excellent bonus from a centre-back.

The Reds' right-back Steve Finnan doesn't get the plaudits he deserves, while Liverpool's defensive record is at its best when John Arne Riise is in the side at left-back. Riise is the one player who seems to guarantee clean sheets, possibly because Carragher has been rested for the hugely promising Daniel Agger, and Finnan omitted for Dutch first-choice Jan Kromkamp, but neither Warnock nor Traore have had good seasons when called upon.

Elsewhere, if you can expose Sami Hyypia for pace, as Chelsea regularly try to do, he looks cumbersome; but if not – and most weeks, it's a 'not' – he's as good as anyone in the world at defending the edge of the area.

It's the wide areas where Chelsea still clearly edge things, especially if Gerrard is used infield. Had Mark Gonzalez been granted his work permit, things might be a little different.

The Chilean has been quite outstanding in La Liga in recent weeks, tormenting Real Madrid and scoring some stunning goals, after returning from a long injury. He has Cissé's pace, but far better control and the knowledge of how to play on the flank. It's natural to him. Cissé does his best, and can be devastating, but it's an incredibly hit-and-miss affair.

Luis Garcia is much the same: as with Cissé, he has an excellent scoring record considering the time he spends on the pitch (and that it's mostly spent on the flank), but you never quite know what you are going to get. However, the little Spaniard makes things happen, and doesn't just score but scores important goals.

I always felt Harry Kewell would come good, so I'm happy to see him playing regularly and contributing to the team's much-improved results. However, rather than be exceptional, he's been merely very good on a weekly basis. He's found consistency, but has yet to quite locate that extra edge to his play, especially his goalscoring. When at the top of his game, he can score 15 in a season.

But with Chelsea having Arjen 'Sniper Got Me' Robben, Damien Duff, Joe Cole and Shaun Wright-Phillips, they possess more options with a cutting edge on the flanks, as well as bags of pace.

Chelsea are also the one team who have consistently undermined Liverpool's zonal marking system, which has been superb against most other teams.

Another area where Chelsea edge out the Reds is in the time the group has been together as a team. Liverpool added three players to its best XI this season, each to the spine of the side. Chelsea added two to its first team: Asier Del Horno at left back, while only Essien to the spine. (Crepso returned, but he's not a first choice.)

The Reds also added umpteen players to its first team squad, while Mourinho – who, thanks to Abramovich's spending in 2003/04, inherited more quality players than did Benítez – had no such necessity. There's that bit more understanding between the Chelsea players, and that, combined with the strength in wide areas, is why they've done better in the league yet again.

But this is a semi-final. And it's the one place where Liverpool have had the better of Chelsea in the last two seasons. A repeat of last year's Champions League victory would be most welcome.

© Paul Tomkins 2006

"Red Revival", the follow-up to "Golden Past, Red Future", is available to pre-order from www.paultomkins.com. Released at the start of June 2006, only 300 of the 1000 special limited edition copies still remain.

Offline speker

• Main Stander
Re: Liverpool vs Chelsea: Locking Horns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:40:11 pm »
I think best 11 v best 11 we match up pretty well to Chelsea. Where they have a definite edge is in the quality of the depth of their squad but going into the semi with all of Rafas usual starters healthy and fit I'm more  than confident that we can win this one.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 10:46:03 pm »
Brilliant post mate- and I agree with pretty much everything there.

About Gonzalez- he isn't as fast as Cisse- well not that I can remember from watching him a couple of times. His speeds probably more matched to that of Ronaldo (Christiano). The thing with Gonzalez is that he tracks back- a lot, and also gets into those shooting positions- exactly the type of player we need.

Like you say- Chelsea's wingers are far superior, but for me, we've cancelled them out for pretty much every game we've played them (certainly all the games against them last season)- where Finnan and Traore really shackled them down. This season Mourinho must have got wise to it- because he set Drogba running down the channels for that 4-1 defeat at Anfield. They were also a lot more comfortable in their win against us at their place than the games last season.

The key for us will be who plays up front, and if we can pretty much stop their wingers. I'd say our defences are as good and our midfield is better. I'd like to see a 4-2-3-1 formation with Crouch up their on his own, Gerrard, Kewell and Garcia playing behind and the Alonso and Sissoko playing behind those 3. I'm sure Rafa will play some form of that- maybe 4-4-1-1, with Garcia and Crouch up front and Gerrard on the right- but I don't think we'll play 2 out and out strikers.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:48:24 pm by bazc350 »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Dearg

• Main Stander
  • Beer Monster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:50:17 pm »
Good summation.

It pretty much 50/50 as you point out - even more so than say the Mancs or the Gooners because we play a similar defensive style of football to Chelsea, which with the arrival next season of Gonzales plus another winger will bare even more similarities.

Still though, I reckon the lads will still be smarting after the defeat to Befica and that defeat at home earlier in the season.  Hopefully Rafa's tactical nous will win it for us.
“If you play in the final, it's for winning, not for losing”

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:58:44 pm »
very good piece and not that biased (that must have been the hard bit.

thanks paul
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline John Arne Riises hat

• Kemlynite
  • God in Motion
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:18 pm »
It's lazy to suggest anyone could keep goal behind the current Liverpool back four

I wonder who thats directed at...   :D

I agree that Momo's been a better value buy than Essien, couldn't help thinking they'd paid over the odds for him, but would I like it if he could bump up his goal tally a bit more.  Still full credit to him for coming back from that serious eye injury. 

I think reading that summary and the record in the previous games between us (last home game excluded of course) its going to be an extremely tight game, cant see there being more than one goal separating us.  How we all wish Fowler would be on the field! This game would be made for him: not many chances, only a couple of scoring opportunities in the game.

Still I fancy a goal from the captain to win it 1-0.

come on the reds!!
"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool." 
- Pako Ayesteran

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »
I wonder who thats directed at...   :D

I believe a certain Mr Gray made such a comment at the weekend...   :D

not that biased (that must have been the hard bit.

On an emotional level I wouldn't choose any of their players over ours. But there are areas where they have the better talent. We just need to find comparable quality at more affordable prices.

I think Mourinho was helped by the signing of Cech and Robben before he arrived. Ranieri had ended up with far too many players, so Mourinho had a lot to choose from, and rather than sign loads of players, who he got rid of was his biggest task. Whereas in Rafa's case, he had a core of top-class players, but the fringes were a fair bit weaker.

Offline ®äfä.. ®äfä...ßëñíTêz

• Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for the memories RB! **YNWA Liam Harker***
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »
Excellent piece paul, were gonna do it on Saturday!!!

COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!!
E L  P I S T O L E R O - LUIS SUAREZ  

JOHN W HENRY THE LEGEND - www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:01 pm »
Excellent piece as ever, Paul. Just thought I'd plug this in here as well ;)

A good preview of the Liverpool v Chelsea game can be found on the reliable Squarefootball.net

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=3024

That Liverpool fan really knows his stuff if you ask me ;) :)

Looking forward to a cup double this weekend! :)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:02:14 am »
Good post as ever, but one thing...

In the centre of the park, Steven Gerrard is superior in nearly all aspects to Frank Lampard - himself seen as pretty close to the perfect midfielder. Gerrard has more pace, skill, strength, is far more versatile and is a better passer. Goalscoring was the one area where Gerrard seemed miles behind, but last season the Liverpool captain's goals-per-start record was better (he missed two months of the season), while this season Gerrard trails Lampard by 20 goals to 19, but Lampard's tally includes two more penalties. So you'd have to call that a tie, now that Gerrard is allowed more scope to attack than he was under Gérard Houllier.

Why do I get the feeling that this quote may end up on CFCNet and other Chelsea sites?

Offline John Arne Riises hat

• Kemlynite
  • God in Motion
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:21:17 am »

I believe a certain Mr Gray made such a comment at the weekend...   :D

A thinly veiled attack I see

Good post as ever, but one thing...

Why do I get the feeling that this quote may end up on CFCNet and other Chelsea sites?

Not sure any of them can read or write yet so it should go unnoticed before Sat.

'Rafael, Rafael, Rafa In Istanbul'
"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool." 
- Pako Ayesteran

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 12:21:53 am »
Superb article overall Paul but theres a couple of things i don't quite agree with.  First, your comparison of Gerrard and Lampard is very accurate but when you mention their goalscoring this season you only say that it's 20-19 to Lampard.  Now, when you look at their league record it's a huge difference of 16-8 in Lampard's favor.  Gerrard scored 7 in the CL but all were against TNS and Kaunas in the first two qualifying rounds.  Having said that i think Gerrard has the ability to score as much as Lampard if not more but he has to show it, hopefully starting next season and for many more to come.

The other thing is not a big deal but where you see Kewell scoring 15 goals i think it'd be more realistic to say that if he scored 8-12 goals then Rafa could be more than happy.  The reason is that if Gonzalez and or Zenden split time with him there he might be given more of a rest than this season but we agree it has to be more than 3.

Now im hoping for a 4-0 payback with Gerrard and Kewell scoring a brace each ;D

Offline Scoobydoo

• Main Stander
  • TK to the Maxx
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 12:32:48 am »
Good read.  Really looking forward to the match now.  Your point about Warnock not having a good season is very true.  Every time I see him playing I get the sense that he isn't as comfortable on the ball as Riise.  In the matches he has played I feel the other defenders are not as willing to give him the ball when under pressure.  He has to prove himself to be as consitent as Finnan to have a future at the club.  He'll never offer the goals that Riise goals and his engine isn't as big.  I'd like to see him break into the squad and command a starting place but I think he's had his chance to impress Rafa.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 01:09:59 am »
I believe a certain Mr Gray made such a comment at the weekend...   :D
Didn't know Julian Gray was a pundit! :D

Good analysis there Paul. I had a thought in my head when I clicked the link, "Well well, how biased as this going to be", but knowing you it would probably be much more balanced that the usual no holds barred optimism.

Agree with the width comments - if only we have proper wingers, things could be a lot different since. We have nobody to match the likes of Duff and Robbin Robben, or even SWP. JAR did pretty well to whip the crosses in as with Harry but they can't be counted to jinx their way into the penalty box.

It's our 10th meeting and I'm really sick of it. Time to repeat history.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline deltoons

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:23:14 am »
Excellent post again, Paul, pretty much sums up how i feel, however the point about Chelsea being further down the road in terms of experience of playing together may well be true but i have definitely felt that with each passing month this is becoming less obvious, Liverpool are slowly jelling as a team and whilst i expect to see a fair amount of upheavel regarding transfers in the summer i also expect the majority of those purchases to be "icing on the cake" type players, players who can slot into a well oiled machine and add that extra bit of spark for us to push on even closer to Chelsea and (hopefully) beyond the mancs.

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 02:20:42 am »
Fair and well-written article as always. But the truth is, I never ever felt that player-for-player we were ever inferior to many teams. Nope, if we were ever inferior to the Chelsea team, I never thought we were far behind. The same goes for the likes of Arsenal and Man U. I always thought Man U's edge over us was only up front, and Arsenal's was the exception of Henry. Yet... yet... this doesn't seem to count for much. We still got outplayed by Arsenal at Highbury, still lost to (of all people) a Ferdinand header...

I'm not trying to be negative here, all I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter whether we're better or worse off man-for-man, player-for-player. At the end of the day, how we perform on the day itself is what really counts, and that, is something none of us can predict... However, while we can't read into the future, there's nothing to fear, because the way football is, the chances of us winning or losing still stands at 50/50.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:46:02 am by LadyLala »
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 04:11:40 am »
Seem to have forgot our 12th player ;) the loyal fans :)

Love the article though...showed more respect to them than I'd ever dream of.  Well, I would in the beginning of last season but not anymore
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 04:27:45 am »
good piece as ususal and nice analysis from bazc too. 

One thing our team still lack is that tiny bit of cutting edge - especailly in transition, Chelsea, the Mancs and Gooners are devastating.  This may down to the form of our strikers though.  However there is no excuse on our set pieces - they are dismal, while Chelsea is excellent.

Saturday can't arrive soon enough!

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 05:16:43 am »
What Paul and a lot of others that followed have been saying is pretty spot on, I reckon.  Between us, Arsenal, the Mancs & Chelsea, each are stronger in some areas, and weaker in others. 

Where Chelsea (at the moment) have it over all of us is that ability to kill off a game, and not draw when they should win, or lose when they should draw.  It's there consistency in all departments.  Rarely over the last 2 seasons have you seen Chelsea really dominating a game, creating all the chances, but walking away with a 0-0, or managing just the one goal, when they should have nailed 2 or 3, and the opposition snatch a 1-1 draw.

Arsenal can play anyone off the park when in top form, but they still give all teams more chances to beat them than Chelsea do.

Next season should be facinating.  For once it will probably come down to some unforseen things to decide the title.  Things like:

- Will any new signings for Chelsea destabalise the team?
- Will Liverpool's new start striker fit in immediately and make the team function better up front?
- Will the Mancs fill a few of the holes in their squad to make them a complete and more consistent outfit?
- Will Henry stay at Arsenal, and will their young stars continue to develop at the pace they are currently?

Crucially, unless the answer to the 1st question is yes, Chelsea will probably win the title again, but we'll give them something to be nervous about if they run out of form & consistency

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 05:27:57 am »
I really like this idea of our midfield made up of Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko and Hamann on bass. Maybe one more midfielder and we could just do it next season.

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 07:37:54 am »
A great read Paul and a fair assessment of both teams.

However, it seems to be a bit of a shame that just as we appear to be getting closer to them, they will once again splash the cash this summer and improve their squad once more.

One of the best midfielders in Europe 'in Ballack' seems to be on his way and i have no doubt that they will (and again have the cash to do so) spend big up front. Shevchencko? Eto'o? Who knows??

I just hope that the money will be there for Rafa to spend in the summer that will bring our squad even closer and hopefully gain that Premiership crown that we all crave so much.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 08:30:56 am »

The key for us will be who plays up front, and if we can pretty much stop their wingers. I'd say our defences are as good and our midfield is better. I'd like to see a 4-2-3-1 formation with Crouch up their on his own, Gerrard, Kewell and Garcia playing behind and the Alonso and Sissoko playing behind those 3. I'm sure Rafa will play some form of that- maybe 4-4-1-1, with Garcia and Crouch up front and Gerrard on the right- but I don't think we'll play 2 out and out strikers.

Think it's likely be be one up front too.

Depends who Rafa puts in midfield.

Another thought though, do you think he might take a chance and play a back 3 - as against Newcastle? Kewell played much better further inside that day and Kromkamp and Warnock gave great width.

It might just out-fox Chelsea, especially early on if we press for an early goal?

Supposedly neither side has lost after taking the lead this season. Maybe Rafa will have a tactical trick up his sleeve to get Chelsea on the back foot?

442 does not seem to work against Chelsea, most teams try to mirror their formation and then win the individual battles. I think Rafa has more nous than Mourinho.

If we only play Crouch as a lone striker I think we are in for an afternoon of defending mostly, we've got to try and put them under pressure.

That said, I think we are heading for a draw here folks with the full hit of extra time and pens.  :butt :wave

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 08:43:52 am »
What I'm most worried about is that Duff/Cole/SWP would use their pace to exploit Hyypia's (and Carra's to a certain extent) weakness. If they remain wide and supply aerial balls, there  shouldn't be much of a problem because our defence should cope with those. The problem I see is if we let the wingers run at our defenders or play those through balls to each other (the best example would be Kaka's ball to Crespo in Istanbul.) This is where I believe Sissoko would be crucial.

On the other hand, I can see us running at their unsettled centre-backs too, especially if Carvalho plays. Gerrard or Cisse should be left to run at Carvalho and this will certainly cause them problems (if Gallas plays CB I think he should cross the ball in his direction because he's not the best in the air.)
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 09:00:20 am »
Superb article overall Paul but theres a couple of things i don't quite agree with.  First, your comparison of Gerrard and Lampard is very accurate but when you mention their goalscoring this season you only say that it's 20-19 to Lampard.  Now, when you look at their league record it's a huge difference of 16-8 in Lampard's favor.  Gerrard scored 7 in the CL but all were against TNS and Kaunas in the first two qualifying rounds.  Having said that i think Gerrard has the ability to score as much as Lampard if not more but he has to show it, hopefully starting next season and for many more to come.

That's a fair point, which I had thought about addressing. Gerrard's goals in those early rounds were impressive as they were needed! They weren't all in 10-0 wins, but from when he took on the opposition single-handed at times.

I was going to balance it by saying that as Lampard is playing in a team that is still ahead of Liverpool, and that with their productivity in wide areas they supply him more chances (and they do). Also, Gerrard has played on the wing - and it's easier to score goals as an attacking midfielder than as a wideman. Had Lampard played half the season on the right, he'd have far less goals.

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 09:08:15 am »
Chelsea have not been playing Carvalho, it's been Terry and Gallas at Centre Back. Some reports this morning that Chelsea may offload Carvalho in the summer too.

I agree though, Carvalho plays mostly with his hands pulling people back as he lacks pace. Can't see us really getting at Gallas / Terry - unless we can get wide and make them turn or make one come forward slightly, away from his partner.  ;)

Old Trafford is a big pitch and although Chelsea like to attack using width and pace, it will give us opportunities to stretch them at the back.

The centre of Chelsea's defence is where they are strongest but if you can move the centre backs about you've got "possibilities"  ;)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 09:57:49 am »

Exactly what i was about to point out.

That's a fair point, which I had thought about addressing. Gerrard's goals in those early rounds were impressive as they were needed! They weren't all in 10-0 wins, but from when he took on the opposition single-handed at times.

I was going to balance it by saying that as Lampard is playing in a team that is still ahead of Liverpool, and that with their productivity in wide areas they supply him more chances (and they do). Also, Gerrard has played on the wing - and it's easier to score goals as an attacking midfielder than as a wideman. Had Lampard played half the season on the right, he'd have far less goals.

Fair response, Stevies done brilliantly for me in playing out of his natural position for most of the season yet still having a huge impact on our seasons form in general.
Outlines why he IS an overall more complete player than Lampard.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:59:40 am by Istanbul05 »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 11:24:46 am »
good read that, Paul, cant wait for Saturday
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 11:42:38 am »
Good article that one.

Arjen 'Sniper Got Me' Robben  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 11:52:56 am »
The only thing that makes me uneasy about Saturday is the fact that we do tend to struggle to score against Chelsea. However,we have beaten the Mancs, it’s a semi and we have the players who can rise to the occasion. There’s also us lot…

Disagree with what you say about Cisse, I don’t feel he really tries at all these days and to be honest, I doubt the man has a football brain and sometimes I wonder if he actually even knows how to time a run (WBA goal aside). Too many times he is either static when a ball is played through/wide or the dopey fuckwit is stood or has ran offside. We were lucky Sunday (although Keith Hackett told Les Lawson the goal was correct) that the linesman didn’t make the same decision as the one against Charlton did. Compare Cisse’s child like charge to Nando’s (with half the pace) perfectly timed run and then composure to spot Robbie and put it just where he needed it. And as for the one on ones.............

You’re spot on about Reina though, the change in the defence since last season is easy to see. The boys now know, if a ball gets beyond them, that Pepe is there watching, waiting and ready to come and clear it (the way Clem was). People criticise his punching rather than catching but that is orders from Rafa. Rafa told him “don’t risk being barged and dropping the ball, as you may not get the foul, just punch it clear”.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 11:53:37 am »
Chelsea have not been playing Carvalho, it's been Terry and Gallas at Centre Back. Some reports this morning that Chelsea may offload Carvalho in the summer too.

I agree though, Carvalho plays mostly with his hands pulling people back as he lacks pace. Can't see us really getting at Gallas / Terry - unless we can get wide and make them turn or make one come forward slightly, away from his partner.  ;)

Old Trafford is a big pitch and although Chelsea like to attack using width and pace, it will give us opportunities to stretch them at the back.

The centre of Chelsea's defence is where they are strongest but if you can move the centre backs about you've got "possibilities"  ;)
dont reckon carvalho lacks pace. if anything its his only true attribute, he handles players because he gets himsen in such bad positions, because he has to turn and go he'll handle the player to stop him getting them 3 yards start. am very disappointed that chelsea have actually noticed their best pairing is JT and WG, cos when they were played as a defensive pairing under ranieri, they didnt concede a league goal (according to sky stats last season)
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 12:20:36 pm »
I'm nervous about this one, chelsea are just coming back from a slump and I think they have the edge over us psychologically. Team for Team I think they are better balanced as well and have more than us on the wings.

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 12:27:40 pm »
Good article and I agree with most of it. The one part of the team which can really make a difference is the manager.

I think Rafa wins thatv as he has produced a very good team with limited resources. I am hoping that he outfoxes Morinho on saturday.

Offline rafathegaffa

• Legacy Fan
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 12:36:25 pm »
It's a pity Crouch isn't better in the air - particularly for this showdown. In the Stamford Bridge clash, Crouch got his head to a lot of crosses/long passes but Makelele, Teryy et al were on hand to pounce on the ball and we repeatedly lost more and more possession as the game went on.
I hope we're not launching it for the whole game. Hopefully Alonso will be picking the ball up from Carra and Hyypia and carrying it forward rather than let them hit default long balls up to Crouch which do both him and Liverpool a disservice.
I'd like to see Momo or Stevie getting very tight on Makelele as Malbranque did recently.
My high horse awaits.

Offline lurker

• Kopite
  • Irish Red
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »

Interestingly enough, most of Stevie's league goals came in the period when he was playing right-mid - he scored 6 of his 8 league goals between the start of November and the match against Benfica when Momo got injured and he was moved back into central midfield.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 01:34:21 pm »

Think it's likely be be one up front too.

Depends who Rafa puts in midfield.

Another thought though, do you think he might take a chance and play a back 3 - as against Newcastle? Kewell played much better further inside that day and Kromkamp and Warnock gave great width.

It might just out-fox Chelsea, especially early on if we press for an early goal?

Supposedly neither side has lost after taking the lead this season. Maybe Rafa will have a tactical trick up his sleeve to get Chelsea on the back foot?

442 does not seem to work against Chelsea, most teams try to mirror their formation and then win the individual battles. I think Rafa has more nous than Mourinho.

If we only play Crouch as a lone striker I think we are in for an afternoon of defending mostly, we've got to try and put them under pressure.

That said, I think we are heading for a draw here folks with the full hit of extra time and pens.  :butt :wave

Regarding the 3-5-2 formation- I'm a big fan of it- because it means that we get the best out of our full backs in terms of them attacking. The fact that Chelsea's wingers will need to be pretty much tied up for the whole game means that this formation wouldn't work against them, as our fullbacks will need to be more defence minded (as opposed to the attacking mentality of a fullback formation).
Also, when we get the wingers required, I doubt we'll see that formation starting a game- as there wouldn't be the need for fullbacks to runn up the byline to put those crosses in. I'm sure we will use it in the middle of a game- if we are in need of goals, for example (like the 2nd half in May).

I don't see playing a lone striker up front as being to defence minded. I think it's fair to say that none of our strikers have built up a partnership, and the fact that playing Gerrard in an advanced role means he will be freed up to take more shots, pretty much means we won't miss playing 2 strikers up front. The thing with playing 2 sitting midfielders- in Alonso and Sissoko- means that there is a rigidity in defence, whilst freeing up the 3 in front to get attacks going (not to say they don't have defensive duties). With Crouch as our focal point, and having 3 of our best attackers behind means that we should get into more than a couple of goalscoring positions. What I also like seeing is when Garcia/Kewell/Gerrard constantly move around- one minute Gerrard may be on the left with Kewell on the right, the next we'll see Gerrard on the right and Garcia on the left- with Kewell in the middle. With a tall striker to deal with, things like this can't be easy for a defence?

I'd like to say we have a good chance- but it's really 50-50. Even though they've hardly been in good form as of late, they'll definitely be up for this one.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 01:48:33 pm »
Regarding the 3-5-2 formation- I'm a big fan of it- because it means that we get the best out of our full backs in terms of them attacking.

Hmm, 3-5-2 has hardly had too many long-term successes for any club. It worked for us well at Newcastle this season because Agger was prepared to go forward - otherwise you have a wasted centre back, especially if playing against only striker.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 01:53:49 pm »
Hmm, 3-5-2 has hardly had too many long-term successes for any club. It worked for us well at Newcastle this season because Agger was prepared to go forward - otherwise you have a wasted centre back, especially if playing against only striker.

Not really- because it allows the fullbacks to go and support the wingers more- it led to our first goal against Newcastle- just look where Kromkamp was when he crossed the ball. Last season we did well with it with Traore in the left position a couple of times. You are right when you say that it worked well that day because Agger got forward- but it certainly isn't 'wasting a centre back'.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 02:08:06 pm »
Great read Paul,  for me your analysis is spot on. No argument here
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 03:16:01 pm »
Excellent read as usual - just to build up the anticipation of this weekend even more!!

A hypothetical question has been occupying my mind recently and Paul's piece has just brought it up again....

With the improvement of Harry Kewell down the left and a certain Mark Gonzalez doing so well down the left with Sociedad! Would Rafa have played Mark or Harry down the right (if Mark had been granted a work permit) or just play one of the two??

In my own mind I'd have played both and had Mark down the right and let him cut inside and use than lethal left foot of his!

Obviously over the close season I hope we do get a right-sided midfielder.

I just wondered what Pauls view on this was :wave
(or is this covered in your new book ;) )
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 03:39:32 pm »
Although it may not turn out this way, I'm sure we all expect a close, tense game. As several have noted, the ace we hold is Rafa's tactical nouse.

If it remains tight late on, heading for extras, I will expect to see bizarre multi-substitutions by Mourinho to bring on a centre-half to play as an extra centre-forward for example, and other silly stuff, as he panics -trying to change the game. This will happen if we manage to nullify their wingers.

Rafa will keep his head, and make the best, most astute changes he can with the bench we have got.

I know we are drawn back mentally to the two losses this season - particularly the 4-1 mauling at Anfield. In truth, that was a freak result. We conceded (thank Djimi) early and were left to chase the game. Everything they tried went in, after that.

The note about dead-ball situations someone posted is spot on. No two ways about it, we're crap at this. Gerrard is in many ways our most dangerous player, yet he's taking all corners and many free kicks that are indirect. This is madness. He should be in the box where he can do the damage. Kewell or Riise should take corners from the right, and Xabi or Stevie Finnan take them from the left. Its a very rare occasion that a dead-ball results in a chance, and much rarer still that we score. We must get better at this.

...and having Gerrard on the wrong end of dead balls may go a long way to explaining the 8-19 goal comparison with Lampard in the Prem.