Author Topic: Cable/sat tv boxes  (Read 552867 times)

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
Re: Cable/sat tv boxes
« Reply #2400 on: July 22, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
All virgin offers that Sky doesn't is the HD channels mate

Thanks fella! Didn't know you could add 2 lines into the one box.

Think ill pass it up after reading your previous post :)

Thanks

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2401 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:07 pm »
Thanks fella! Didn't know you could add 2 lines into the one box.

Think ill pass it up after reading your previous post :)

Thanks

You can if you buy a box with both cable and sat tuners mate.
Maybe i'm getting old or that story about too much fiddling with yourself screws your eyesight is true  ;D ;D but the only difference i see with HD is it seems brighter.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:36:16 pm by marcus-g »

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2402 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:09 pm »
Just for future reference, anybody wanting to get into this, or needing help, or a line or with their boxes and whatnot, sign up to
http://www.techkings.org/

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2403 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:18 pm »
You can if you buy a box with both cable and sat tuners mate.
Ah right. Your helpful as always mate.

Thanks again!

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2404 on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:33 pm »
http://www.zgemma.co.uk/Sat-Cable-Terrestrial?product_id=60

That's sat and cable, that's the one this guys trying to pass on for £185.
They're only £89  ;D ;D

All you need to do is get one, read a tutorial on techkings and set yourself up in no time.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2405 on: July 22, 2016, 02:43:22 pm »

They're only £89  ;D ;D

All you need to do is get one, read a tutorial on techkings and set yourself up in no time.

Cheers as always bud. I need to get me something like this as my internet at home is so poor I struggle to stream live tv on Kodi.

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2406 on: July 22, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »
Cheers as always bud. I need to get me something like this as my internet at home is so poor I struggle to stream live tv on Kodi.

If you have a dish and internet you could get either of these three http://www.zgemma.co.uk/twin-sat-tuner
Flashing takes a few minutes, then just add a line and you're off.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2407 on: July 22, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »

They're only £89  ;D ;D

I'll be changing to a zgemma box myself soon, I like the way it can be made to look like sky etc.  This VM sub has me interested as well, HD sport I do miss, spend most of my day on sky sports news.  Do you know if you need to change sources ie from sky to VM if you wanted to view those channels or can they be combined into the one tv guide as such?

Thanks for the link, saves me hunting for one tonight hehe :)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2408 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:16 pm »
If you have a dish and internet you could get either of these three http://www.zgemma.co.uk/twin-sat-tuner
Flashing takes a few minutes, then just add a line and you're off.

Cheers I'll take a look. I just registered with Techkings so I'll have a look for the guides on flashing and look for a suitable line subscription.

Cheers bud.

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2409 on: July 22, 2016, 02:52:06 pm »
Not used one mate, AFAIK you just switch between tuners,as simple as changing a channel.
The last ''special'' cable box i had was the old telewest samsung 2100c  ;D ;D

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2410 on: July 22, 2016, 02:53:39 pm »
Cheers I'll take a look. I just registered with Techkings so I'll have a look for the guides on flashing and look for a suitable line subscription.

Cheers bud.

If you go for a 2s or a H2s then http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-h-2s/97794-wooshbuild-v4-00-openatv-5-3-a.html

That is the easiest way to flash. The guy has spent some serious time on his build to make it as simple as possible.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:57:30 pm by marcus-g »

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2411 on: July 22, 2016, 09:20:49 pm »
Could anyone tell me if it's possible to run two different dodgy boxes off the one Sky satellite dish?

The box I have at the moment is wifi/satellite dish combo. I'm thinking of getting the same.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #2412 on: July 22, 2016, 10:51:32 pm »
Could anyone tell me if it's possible to run two different dodgy boxes off the one Sky satellite dish?

The box I have at the moment is wifi/satellite dish combo. I'm thinking of getting the same.
Yes,I'm doing it at the moment as my sons system is in my spare room whilst he waits to get his dish set up in his new abode...

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2413 on: July 23, 2016, 11:31:33 am »
Yes,I'm doing it at the moment as my sons system is in my spare room whilst he waits to get his dish set up in his new abode...
Thank you mate.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #2414 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:13 pm »

Just make sure your provider is ok with multiroom

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2415 on: July 23, 2016, 03:26:58 pm »

As long as you have space on your LNB, an internet connection in the room you want the box, and your line supplier allows multiroom yeah.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2416 on: July 23, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »
Sorry lads but I'm very much a newbie when it comes to this. Which provider do you mean?

I had Sky with a single box only. I'm thinking of running two boxes off the one dish. Two different dodgy boxes with different subs.

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #2417 on: July 23, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »
Guys whats the best box for when wanting to get rid of sky that you can just plug in and go once you have a sub off someone. Dont really want to be messing round with satalite dishes ect. How much should i be looking to pay and wheres the best place for the box and also to pick up a reliable sub?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: July 23, 2016, 05:21:01 pm »
Sorry lads but I'm very much a newbie when it comes to this. Which provider do you mean?

I had Sky with a single box only. I'm thinking of running two boxes off the one dish. Two different dodgy boxes with different subs.

If you only have 1 cable coming from your satellite dish into your house you can only have 1 box.  You need to stick a double or quad LNB on your sat dish and run more cables into your house.  Each cable can then run a sat box in other rooms.

If you're changing LNB's id recommend a quad, gives you the freedom to add more boxes in future etc.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2419 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:49 pm »
Guys whats the best box for when wanting to get rid of sky that you can just plug in and go once you have a sub off someone. Dont really want to be messing round with satalite dishes ect. How much should i be looking to pay and wheres the best place for the box and also to pick up a reliable sub?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The Zgemma Star is a great wee box, no frills but does a great job.  It retails around £65 i think.  I was recommended a sub by the guys on here, costs £35 per year and its been great so far.  The more subs you take the cheaper it is from the seller, i took 3 subs which worked out at £50 for the year. bargain :)

With the box, you will need to flash it and insert the sub (line) yourself.  Easily done. 

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2420 on: July 23, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »
If you only have 1 cable coming from your satellite dish into your house you can only have 1 box.  You need to stick a double or quad LNB on your sat dish and run more cables into your house.  Each cable can then run a sat box in other rooms.

If you're changing LNB's id recommend a quad, gives you the freedom to add more boxes in future etc.
Thanks mate. That makes sense. The LNB cable I'm using at the moment for the box is a double one. My nox only requires me to use one of the leads. I'll have to sus out the dish when I'm home.

Appreciate it.

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #2421 on: July 23, 2016, 05:40:59 pm »
Or get a twin tuner box and stream it to a Raspberry Pi

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2422 on: July 23, 2016, 05:48:15 pm »
Thanks mate. That makes sense. The LNB cable I'm using at the moment for the box is a double one. My nox only requires me to use one of the leads. I'll have to sus out the dish when I'm home.

Appreciate it.

No worries mate, theres plenty of people on here who can help if you ever need anything.

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #2423 on: July 23, 2016, 06:22:48 pm »
The Zgemma Star is a great wee box, no frills but does a great job.  It retails around £65 i think.  I was recommended a sub by the guys on here, costs £35 per year and its been great so far.  The more subs you take the cheaper it is from the seller, i took 3 subs which worked out at £50 for the year. bargain :)

With the box, you will need to flash it and insert the sub (line) yourself.  Easily done. 

Cheers Teapot, sorry but not clued up much on tech language. What does flash it mean?

Will have a look round for one of those boxes now, cheers for the suggestion
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2424 on: July 23, 2016, 06:24:14 pm »
Cheers Teapot, sorry but not clued up much on tech language. What does flash it mean?

http://www.zgemma.co.uk/

don't buy from anywhere else.

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2425 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »
What does flash it mean?

Just download an image from techkings, sucmnsee or wooshbuild. If you're totally new to it i'd go for wooshbuild.
Stick that on a usb drive, connect that to the back usb port on the box, turn the box on and it basically flashes itself.

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #2426 on: July 23, 2016, 06:36:16 pm »
Just download an image from techkings, sucmnsee or wooshbuild. If you're totally new to it i'd go for wooshbuild.
Stick that on a usb drive, connect that to the back usb port on the box, turn the box on and it basically flashes itself.

Cheers Marcus for both suggestions :)

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #2427 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:51 pm »
Is it worth paying the bit extra for the better box?? I can see with the twin tuner you can record too which makes it more appealing too

Zgemma Star H.2S Twin Tuner FREE TO AIR Sat Receiver
DVB-S2 + DVBS2 Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver- Linux Operating System-??

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2428 on: July 23, 2016, 06:41:47 pm »

Just what marcus said, its easy enough to do. If youre stuck let us know and we'll get you through it! :D

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2429 on: July 23, 2016, 07:38:19 pm »
Is it worth paying the bit extra for the better box?? I can see with the twin tuner you can record too which makes it more appealing too

Zgemma Star H.2S Twin Tuner FREE TO AIR Sat Receiver
DVB-S2 + DVBS2 Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver- Linux Operating System-??

The 2s is twin tuner too. The H.2s is just a slightly newer version.
Personal choice really. Cant go wrong with either.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2430 on: July 23, 2016, 09:47:30 pm »
This is the LNB I have, well it's very very similar. Do you educated crowd reckon this one is capable of running another dodgy box Off? There's 2 cables running out of two of the ports at the moment. One of which is being used by my current box, the other is idle.

Again, appreciate some help here!

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #2431 on: July 23, 2016, 10:36:22 pm »
Thats a quad LNB. You have a few options with that
You can either have :

2x twin tuner boxes
or
1x twin tuner box + 2 single tuner boxes
or
4 single tuner boxes

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #2432 on: July 24, 2016, 09:59:11 pm »
Hi, good thread this. Looking at getting a box, few queries? Bit of a noob to this but Tech savvy mostly! 

I am moving next week, New house has a sky dish. DO I need to be a Sky customer for the dish to work or just have a dish? Never had SKY or wanted it! Fack Murdoch!

I will be getting VM broadband installed for my internet needs.

So Do these Zgemma boxes run off both BBand and/or  a DISH? If so thinking a box downstairs via SKY and one upstairs via VM. Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2433 on: July 24, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »
Hi, good thread this. Looking at getting a box, few queries? Bit of a noob to this but Tech savvy mostly! 

I am moving next week, New house has a sky dish. DO I need to be a Sky customer for the dish to work or just have a dish? Never had SKY or wanted it! Fack Murdoch!

So Do these Zgemma boxes run off both BBand and/or  a DISH? If so thinking a box downstairs via SKY and one upstairs via VM. Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

you don't have to be with sky to get a dodgy box.  All that's needed is a dish and Internet. The internet is needed to check your subscription with the server, ie like a virtual sky card. It only uses a tiny bit of bandwidth. All your channels get fed from the dish. Depending on how many cables are running into the house from the dish, this will determine how many boxes you can have.  If you're looking to run a twin tuner ie like sky plus, each box needs 2 cables. A single tuner only needs 1 cable.

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #2434 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:13 pm »
Thanks teapot,

I am on techkings doing research about how this all works/pitfalls etc. Great site that. Seems the main issue is getting a *cough* server/supplier/line/ of repute, stability, longevity. I will no doubt bother you again with more queries in the future.

Thanks again
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #2435 on: July 26, 2016, 11:54:34 am »

Thanks

If you're getting VM BB then you can split that feed and get a cable dodgy box which gives you HD channels.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2436 on: July 26, 2016, 01:53:22 pm »
i already have a dodgy box, and am in the process of switching broadband providers, will i need to change anything to keep the service up and running??

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2437 on: July 26, 2016, 02:22:27 pm »
Anybody using one of these IPTV providers for Sky HD?

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #2438 on: July 26, 2016, 07:21:51 pm »
i already have a dodgy box, and am in the process of switching broadband providers, will i need to change anything to keep the service up and running??
From where you get the internet has no effect on the box.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2439 on: July 27, 2016, 02:52:21 am »
More questions! Thinking of purchasing my own box without a subscription. How easy is it to buy a subscription with all the Channels?  Once that will work here in Ireland. Where do people get Them??

Some people offering box plus subscription here but I really want a good box rather than a piece of shit. On that note what's the best double tuner box to Get?  One that supports IPTV preferably.

Thanks again lads.