Author Topic: Cable/sat tv boxes  (Read 551123 times)

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dodgy cable boxes
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »
Looking for one of these boxes but a little overwhelmed by all the options and different websites to buy off, anyone in the Merseyside area do the full installation on here? Looking for the usual Sky HD stuff and a recorder box. How much are they knocking these out for in todays market, as some of this thread goes back a while.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2012, 11:12:48 pm »
Looking for one of these boxes but a little overwhelmed by all the options and different websites to buy off, anyone in the Merseyside area do the full installation on here? Looking for the usual Sky HD stuff and a recorder box. How much are they knocking these out for in todays market, as some of this thread goes back a while.

Dont know re merseyside but the links to some of the online shops will show current pricing mate

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
Dont know re merseyside but the links to some of the online shops will show current pricing mate

Fair enough cheers mate. Which is the best site to go on? And do they throw in everything you need or are there extra's you need to acquire?

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »
you need a dish, receiver, internet connection, a subscription, satellite cable. if you have a current satellite dish i think you can use that to get sly. im setting up my equipment in the next few days, CANT wait  :)

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:51 pm »
i would avoid clone receivers, if you want to record a channel and watch another you will need a receiver that has a twin tuner, the vu+ duo is you're best option. costs around £290 but that comes with an image installed etc, you can then put in your own hard drive.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2012, 12:00:32 am »

pm DUGlish

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Dodgy cable boxes
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:46 am »
Fair enough cheers mate. Which is the best site to go on? And do they throw in everything you need or are there extra's you need to acquire?

Hi. Sat station aka lavatronics is good for beginners and they answer questions if you call them. Duglish as suggested by Fish 77 is a good shout who's posted in this thread too

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2012, 10:24:25 am »
You can get servers from here.

http://www.cs-kings.biz/forumdisplay.php/40-Premium-CCCAM-Servers?s=cd57f33db916be5fb2e37a5113faf622

Remember to ask for a test line first.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2012, 01:19:52 pm »
Anyone know if I could phone sky and arrange a free installation/box (think they've got an offer on atm)... then cancel it the week after and keep the free dish??

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2012, 02:25:14 pm »
Anyone know if I could phone sky and arrange a free installation/box (think they've got an offer on atm)... then cancel it the week after and keep the free dish??

Let us know how you get on  ;D

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2012, 10:46:36 pm »
Hi, right i finally got all my equipment (and refund*) sorted! me and me dad got everything setup tonight. i have 2x vu+ duo boxes, 1metre dish and a technomate 2300 motor. having a little bother tho and i reckon its the position of the satellite thats causing it. we have the dish aligned to 28.2, i checked and confirmed this via an iphone app even know the satellite will tune this part in. its the angle of the height i feel thats causing the problem. when we do a automatic scan of channels it picks absolutely nothing up what so ever on the receiver. the motor is definitely working as it pans around to other satellites. im in the process of a scan for channels with my sky dishes lnb plugged into the vu+ duo and its currently found 500+ channels with only 34% gone! so, the boxes work and the satellite motor works, it has to be the alignment of the dishes height thats causing the problem. we really tried to get it spot on with the height of the satellite but there was too many variables that came into play ie the pebble dash wall, 1 or 2 of the brackets etc. would a sat finder help in this kind of situation? theres also a tree about 50 yards away from the house, would that have an effect? id appreciate any help! thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:17:35 am by Teapot »

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »
get a cheap satellite finder, mine just makes a continuous tone once you find a signal and gets louder/quieter as you adjust the dish so you know which way to move it, the only way to do it without one is send the dish to 28.2 then have someone watching the levels on the satellite finder screen in the service searching menu

when i set my motorized dish up i set the elevation angle on the motor bracket according to the chart included with it but left the nuts slightly loose on the bracket attached directly to the dish then made slight adjustments until i found the strongest signal, as long as the mounting pole is plum and the motor was bang on south when you attached it you shouldn't have too many problems as long as you have a bit of patience

the tree shouldn't be a problem seeing that you get a signal on  the sky dish, i had a row of conifers at the bottom of my garden which is less than 20m from the house and managed to get a signal, when i cut them down it only improved by a few %

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2012, 07:13:08 pm »
thanks fish.

I have the dish facing south and its sitting vertical. so once this is achieved what happens next? is there a satellite exactly south so i will know its right?

Also, i have a tachnomate 2300 super, when i move the satellite to try and pick that up the dish sorta goes skew whiff, ie it sorta aims at the ground? everything is set up correctly yet when i move the dish in anyway from south the motor seems to srota arc it into the ground?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:08 pm »
theres thor at 1w which is nearest satellite to due south

there's a decent guide here that should help you
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:31:09 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2012, 08:08:15 pm »
having an absolute mare trying to find these satellites with a sat finder. ive no idea what satellites im tuning into etc, twice we found pretty strong signals, think 26.0 was found with a signal strength of 75%, then i think we found astra 28.2 with 85% signal, once i found 85% i pressed exit on the remote and it said something along the lines of "zap back to sat finder something something) i clicked yes and the 85% just disappeared! could not get it back for the life of me  :-[ no idea what to do next!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »
Although there's one or two on here who seriously know their stuff, I think you'd be better on a dedicated forum where there's a few hundred who are likely to have seen your issue before and know what the solution is.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/
http://www.vuplus-support.org/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:17:59 pm by Graeme »

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:03 pm »
teapot, have you added the satellites you want in the tuner configuration?

it sounds like you've got the dish alignment & elevation etc ok

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »
im not to sure i understand. all the satellite positions are stored within the receiver, if i click a certain satellite the motor will move to what it thinks is the position of that satellite? theres quite a few satellites to choose from but i was only sticking to the ones i knew etc.

that thor satellite is 0.9w, when i set the receiver to pick that up the motor actually moves a degree or so to the east? im looking at the reading thats on the motor, think it goes 80 to west and 80 to east?

also, this will help a lot if you can answer these next questions!!  :) ..... this is my longitude and lat from website.

Latitude: 54.7321°
Longitude: -6.2164°

so, i enter latitude : 54.732 north, longitude : 6.216 WEST? into the receiver. because my longitude is minus do i change it to west?

also, on the motor do i set the latitude to 54/55°? if you answer yes to this do i make adjustments via the bracket connected to the motor eg for elevation an such? rather than tweak the motor after setting the latitude?

Again, i appreciate the help fish! thanks a lot!!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:02:12 pm by Teapot »

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »
so, i enter latitude : 54.732 north, longitude : 6.216 WEST? into the receiver. because my longitude is minus do i change it to west?

yes

also, on the motor do i set the latitude to 54/55°? if you answer yes to this do i make adjustments via the bracket connected to the motor eg for elevation an such? rather than tweak the motor after setting the latitude?

you should have 2 brackets like this depending on the make of motor and the fittings that came with the dish

the bracket which attaches the motor to the wall mount will need to be set at 35 degrees (i think looking at your latitude? there should be a chart which came with the motor which will have the elevation angles) the angle on the dish bracket could vary depending on a few factors and is the one i make adjustments to once i think the dish is pointing in the right direction

from your earlier post it sounds like you have the dish/motor set up ok otherwise you wouldn't get a signal

to set it up on the box press MENU > SETUP > SERVICE SEARCHING > TUNER CONFIGURATION

select the first tuner and press ok then change configuration mode to advanced then use these settings

Satellite : Astra 2A/2B/2D/Eurobird 1 (28.2e)
Change LNB to LNB 1
Priority : Auto
LOF: Universal LNB
Voltage Mode: Polarization
Increased voltage: yes
Tone Mode: band
DiSEqC Mode: 1.2
Toneburst: None
Committed DiSEqC: None
Fast DiSEqC : no
Sequence repeat : no
Command order : committed toneburst
Uncomitted DiSEqC command : None
DiSEqC repeats : none
Longitude: 006.216 West
Latitude : 54:732 North
Use USALS for this Sat: Yes

then ok to save, go into the sat finder and select 28.2, it should move the dish and you should see the snr levels etc fill up on the screen, if it's ok go back into the tuner config and set it up for 13e & 19.2e using the same settings, if everything's ok you should be able to switch between all 3 satellites in the sat finder and get a decent signal

if it's ok go into manual scan (i think it's in the service searching menu) change it to single satellite then 28.2 and press ok to start the scan, you should get over 1000 channels, then do the same for 13e & 19.2e, you can add more satellites if you want but you might struggle to get a decent signal on some of them, the 3 i mentioned should get you everything you need anyway

you'll probably need to repeat the tuner config for the 2nd tuner in each box as well, not 100% sure mind as i've never used a twin tuner set up before but it seems logical to me  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:32:32 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »
Fish thanks so much for the help.

thats cleared up a great deal.

ive just looked up the manual and it says:-

latitude : 54

elevation angle : 36

declination angle : 7.6

dish bracket angle : 22.4

these settings look like they may do the trick! im not to sure where to enter the declination setting tho?

i think earlier when i was getting a signal i was winging as such and just tuning the one satellite, if i had of changed satellites it wouldve went way off.

again fish thanks so much. you're a star!  :)

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2012, 11:48:34 pm »
does it matter if im scanning for dvb-s or dvb-s2?

also, am i able to completely install everything with the sat finder plugged in or do i have to unplug it before i store anything? i dont want it to interfere.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2012, 11:56:51 pm »
the declination is set on the dish bracket, the pole on most motors is 30 degrees so 30-7.6=22.4 degrees

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:42 am »
does it matter if im scanning for dvb-s or dvb-s2?

also, am i able to completely install everything with the sat finder plugged in or do i have to unplug it before i store anything? i dont want it to interfere.

use dvb-s2

if you've got a signal remove the sat finder, if no signal move the dish to a satellite then connect the finder and adjust the dish elevation until you pick something up, once you've got the strongest signal you can get remove it then do the tuner config and store the satellites you want, you should then be able to use the on screen finder to switch between satellites and check the signal levels then adjust the dish elevation if needed

once you're happy with it do a manual scan on each sat

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:30 am »
the declination is set on the dish bracket, the pole on most motors is 30 degrees so 30-7.6=22.4 degrees

hmm, so according to my previous stats.

latitude : 54

elevation angle : 36

declination angle : 7.6

dish bracket angle : 22.4

what should my angle/stats read with this declination? i feel this is all way over my head but im slowly getting there!  :)

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2012, 12:14:00 am »

sorry, just understanding this post now!

i get ya. that clarifies a lot mate.

look, again i appreciate the help, i cant thank you enough.

thanks!

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2012, 12:24:50 am »
you should have a scale on the motor bracket which could be either latitude or elevation so that needs to be either 54 or 36 depending on the make/model of motor

the dish bracket needs to be set at 22.4 which is 30 degrees minus the declination, the scales aren't always accurate though so don't fully tighten the nuts on the dish bracket then just make small adjustments until you get a strong signal, the trick is to loosen the nuts enough so you can make fine adjustments without having to put too much pressure on it but have them tight enough to hold the position when you let go

also you can try moving the motor slightly to the east or west if you want to try and boost a weak signal, there should be a couple of buttons on the motor which you can tap to make fine adjustments

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »
What percentage is a good signal? Closest I've had was 85% after major tweaking. We've got a top notch compass now, so, when I finish work here I'm gonna try all these new settings. Is there any reason why my dish turns east when trying to find Thor?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2012, 03:09:39 pm »
85% is very good and i wouldn't touch the dish anymore if i was you, get all the satellites you want set up in the tuner config then check the levels in the sat finder, some will be lower and you might even struggle to get a signal from some but that should be more to do with the satellite's footprint than your setup, i get around 80-85% on 28.2, 19.2 & 13 are in the 70's

got a mate who lives in a built up area and he only gets around 70% using a sky dish but the picture is fine, gets a bit of break up though in bad weather

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2012, 03:34:07 pm »
Do I have to install the satellites I want before I start to tune the dish? I'm slightly confused at this :(

I'm near sure all the satellites are installed already, I'm able to enter the sat finder and check all the satellites and get a reading for a signal, so I'm assuming they are installed already?

Is there anyway to tell what satellite I'm tuned into? 26 and Astra 28.2 are pretty close to each other.

Thanks again!

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »
if you can see the satellites in the sat finder then everything's fine all you need to do is a manual scan on each one to get the channels

as for telling what satellite you're on, it's a bit hard for me to explain as i don't have my box set up where i'm living at the moment and i'm not familiar with the vu+ duo remote control, anyway i've looked at a few screen captures online, go into the channel selection, it should be similar to this depending on what image is installed

press the green button to bring a list up of the satellites, if it's the same as the dm800 images you should have 3 options for each satellite, services, provider & i can't remember the 3rd  :P , anyway select services and it should bring up a list of all channels on the satellite

to put them into order go back to the channel selection screen and press blue to go into favorites, press the menu button and you should get the option to create a bouquet/folder, you can either make folders like sport, movies, porn etc or you can just use the default favorites folder if you don't mind it being cluttered, go into the satellites services screen and highlight a channel you want to move and press menu then add it to the bouquet that you want, for multiple instances of the same channel check them first to make sure they work and are for the region you want (if that bothers you) then just move the one you want

you can put channels from different satellites in the same bouquet, my sports bouquet has all the domestic channels plus the foreign ones, the dish will move automatically when you switch to a foreign channel

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2012, 05:58:36 pm »
thanks fish. i did have black hole installed (i think), but, i thought i messed up some settings so i did a factory reset on the box, im assuming that i lost my image then?  :-[ i couldnt really find many guides online in regards to installing a new black hole image on a vu+duo, also the more i read the more i seen people talking about "bricking" your box if its not done right  :( do i need the image installed before i proceed? thats if i lost it!  :)

well, at present ive just reset the whole dish and motor settings, so at this point the dish is aiming south, the latitude is set on the motor and dish bracket degrees is set.

my next steps are, set the receiver up with the settings you kindly posted last night, then try an find the thor satellite.

apart from that i cant think of anything else to do.

thanks again.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »
the sat finder is finding something on the 0.9w thor satellite, but when i check the receiver the signal is only bouncing around the 10% going crazy. i doubt i can tweak it any better that it already is. spent ages fine tuning that sat finder that i thought the signal was bound to be 100% but no  >:( ahh well, back out into the pissing rain i go!

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2012, 04:47:35 pm »
finally got my system up and running! loving it  ;) im currently watching the match on sky sports 1 hd. looking forward to the saturday 3 o clock kickoffs now!  :D

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:36 pm »
the sat finder is finding something on the 0.9w thor satellite, but when i check the receiver the signal is only bouncing around the 10% going crazy. i doubt i can tweak it any better that it already is. spent ages fine tuning that sat finder that i thought the signal was bound to be 100% but no  >:( ahh well, back out into the pissing rain i go!

Tea, the best way of setting up a motorised dish is to do as much preparation as possible on the ground - its a dangerous business messing about with heavy dishes and motors on top of a ladder. The Diseqc H2H mount will have instructions on the angle to set based on the Lat/Long of your location, set it correctly on the ground, lock up the bolts and forget about that bit. Leave the motor set to 0Deg for alignment on your South Satellite, which should be Thor/Intelsat 0.9/1.0W for the UK. Bolt the dish to the motor mounting pole, make sure its square to the mount and lock up the mounting bolts, the dish elevation bolts need to be touch tight for final adjustment/signal peaking. You need to do all your dish alignment on 1.0W, get that right and as long as the pole is vertical and the declination angle was set correctly, the motor should track the Clarke Belt correctly. Fit the dish/motor combo to the pole with the mounting bolts touch tight ready for alignment, as I say you are concentrating on 1W and don't even need power to the motor at this stage. These satellites can be pesky things to find and its better to use a reciever and TV to find them and have the meter in-line for fine tuning. I always use "The Poker Channel" which is a good FTA channel in order to find the pesky thing in the first place, spin the dish/motor combo around on the pole until you pick up a picture, dish elevation needs to be in the right ball park. When you've peaked the signal on direction lock the pole mounting bolts then tweak the dish elevation until it peaks and lock those bolts. Check the alignment by lightly pulling on the top/bottom/left/right of the dish and tweak accordingly. Now that you are correctly aligned to 1W, the rest should fall into place - embarrassingly easy.  ;)

Oh a word of warning, I've never managed to get USALS to work correctly on the Enigma boxes I've installed and usually end up assigning a memory location per satellite, not as daunting as it sounds once you get used to it. Here's some installation pic's from the top of some portable scaffolding  - a god send!
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2012, 11:51:52 pm »
I think the thread title could do with changing, seems really inappropriate?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2012, 12:42:47 am »
agree with the title change!

I got sorted mate, it took me a while but i got there in the end. my biggest problem was when i had the satellite metre finder gadget picking up a satellite, i would check the receiver to see the signal and it was reading 0%, it wasnt a true reading, once the gadget found a satellite i just manually scanned and found all the channels i was looking!  :)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2012, 01:17:48 am »
agree with the title change!

I got sorted mate, it took me a while but i got there in the end. my biggest problem was when i had the satellite metre finder gadget picking up a satellite, i would check the receiver to see the signal and it was reading 0%, it wasnt a true reading, once the gadget found a satellite i just manually scanned and found all the channels i was looking!  :)

Oh right? Full arc 42E-45W? Its just that I thought you had a problem with 1W which should have the same signal strength as some 28E transponders provided you are correctly aligned. Its a different world having a steerable dish isn't it?

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2012, 01:18:22 pm »
I have a motorised dish at the back of my garden that hasn't been used since the ART days of broadcasting 3pm Saturday kick offs. The technomate 1500 is also still plugged in to the back of my tv and I have no clue if any of it still works! To gain access to the 3pm kick offs (mainly for the aways) can anyone please help me to what I need to do? Do i have to go down the card sharing route or is there a card subscription facility I can subscribe to (cheaply if exists!). In the meantime, I will investigate further to see if said box and dish still work!
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:24 pm »
For a 1500? Conax CAM and a Tring viewing card from somehwere like Marconi Sat or FalconSat, just check with them what the current legal situation is with Tring as I loose track of all the FA/Sly legal battles with European Broadcasters. There are lots of other providers you could also consider:-

http://liveonsat.com/lvs__footy_b_U-K-I-R-E-A-L-L__.php

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:54 pm »
^ Cheers for that. Conax CAM rings a bell. Will investigate further! :wave
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."