Author Topic: Objectives this season  (Read 5172 times)

Offline JoburgRed

• Anny Roader
  • Red forever
Re: Objectives this season
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 09:12:33 pm »
I don't know if I like this thread.
The minimum target at the start of any season for the current combination of owner and managers is :

- 4th Place in the PL
- One decent cup run in FA/CL with preferably a trophy at the end of it
- Remain in 4th place and CL until finances are improved by building new stadium/improving commercial arrangements

So anything above that is great.  I think we should wait and see where we are at the end of December - much clearer picture on what we'll have to do in the PL, will know where we stand in Europe and we can start our season again.
It's Gerrrraaaaaaarddddddddd......You beautyyyyy!

Offline rafa is the bosphorus

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2009, 09:13:33 pm »
Know where you're coming from, but now more than ever it's the next game. Win at Debrecen and if we get through the group, we're into the same CL position as ever, but without the PL to aim for. I recall the Tomkins analysis about our wins in 2005 and the significance of injuries early in the season meanining we were fresher at the back end...

FA cup for sure, but it's the lottery of lotteries that tournament.

PL - we should still aim for 3rd, not 4th - better CL position for next year

Offline HUH!

• Kemlynite
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 09:31:20 pm »
Avoid relegation.

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2009, 09:34:25 pm »
Jesus H Christ. 4th place?? Fuck that we are'nt out of the title race yet.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline cevans16

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2009, 09:36:36 pm »
4th would be a good achievement the way things are going.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2009, 09:37:52 pm »
The only objective I have is that we get our damn players fit and keep them that way.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2009, 09:46:54 pm »
4th
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline El_Nino_9

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »
Anoyne who says we are not put pf the title race and still have a decent chance of CL qualification, is frankly on drugs. Mathematically, yeah, maybe. But look at out recent performances...... not going to happen.

So, objectives, top ten finish is realistic, just, FA Cup with some good performances, CL, were out. UEFA cup, again, maybe with some good performances.

SUre it will do us good to be put f the "Big 4" for a year, may help get rid of the nuggets, BUT, losing CL football and its financial incentives is a fucking disaster, end of.

No transfer pot this season, so for sure we're buying no one decent next year...........

Let the good times roll!!

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 10:02:39 pm »
Anoyne who says we are not put pf the title race and still have a decent chance of CL qualification, is frankly on drugs. Mathematically, yeah, maybe. But look at out recent performances...... not going to happen.

So, objectives, top ten finish is realistic, just, FA Cup with some good performances, CL, were out. UEFA cup, again, maybe with some good performances.

SUre it will do us good to be put f the "Big 4" for a year, may help get rid of the nuggets, BUT, losing CL football and its financial incentives is a fucking disaster, end of.

No transfer pot this season, so for sure we're buying no one decent next year...........

Wont be a year though. Once we're out it will be very hard to get back in to the top 4. Spurs already out spend us, imagine what they would have to spend if they finally make 4th. City dont need to worry about CL from a money point of view, they spend regardless and we'll fall further behind.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 10:06:25 pm »
New owners please. Anything else is a bonus.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline El_Nino_9

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2009, 10:07:11 pm »
Wont be a year though. Once we're out it will be very hard to get back in to the top 4. Spurs already out spend us, imagine what they would have to spend if they finally make 4th. City dont need to worry about CL from a money point of view, they spend regardless and we'll fall further behind.
I agree, so whats the answer....... fucked if I know. All the knobs who want to see Benitez go, forget it. I suppose we could always get a first class manager like Allerdyce in...........

No two ways about it, we're going to struggle this year. I'll be cheering as loud as anyone (especially for Lucas, well in lad), but we need to get used to the idea now Im afraid.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2009, 10:48:02 pm »

FA Cup - Lets win the thing!!

If only it was that simple......

Objective for the season must simply to be keep rafa and get the yanks out.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 12:56:07 am »
 We finally get some much deserved luck on tuesday with Lyon scoring a last minute offside equaliser which is allowed and thump debrecen 5-0, then we go on and win every game this season whilst watching Chelsea get fucked over by the African nations in january and watch our shit luck get blown down the motorway to Manchester.

Objectives: Win the league, Champions League and a good old trip to wembley  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline AngelicRayment

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 03:02:23 am »
First objective : Start playing like Liverpool

Offline PaulMcC

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 03:07:20 am »
Win the league.

It won't happen but we might as well aim for that. If we're happy to just be 4th that's the highest we'll finish./

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 05:07:10 am »
How about the old win as many games / cup-ties as possible?  If you're talking about "managing" our players through the rest of the season with no additions (and possible departures) in January, then you do the same as normal - use the squad in such a way as to maximize our chances of winning as many games / cup-ties as possible.

I'm only being a smart-arse in as much as you are asking us to list something pointless.

Offline GurjandoTorres

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2009, 05:23:46 am »
Do the treble

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26:25 am »
finish above Spurs in the league :D

they're awesome to be fair ;)
CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline cartmansom

• Kemlynite
  • Hey, I ain't fat, I'm just big-boned.
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2009, 06:21:24 am »
I would take 4th place right now. We just don't have the squad depth and I don't see our injury crisis disappearing anytime soon. It's likely that we will plod along till the end of the year and maybe we will have a better run next year in the second half of the season. If the owners do not give Rafa the necessary backing in the January transfer window and next summer, then there is not much further we can go, and Rafa would be wasting his time here. Too many clubs have caught up with us and that has become hugely apparent now.

I wasn't sleeping, I was just thinking real hard - Eric Cartman

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2009, 06:38:51 am »
I would take 4th place right now. We just don't have the squad depth and I don't see our injury crisis disappearing anytime soon. It's likely that we will plod along till the end of the year and maybe we will have a better run next year in the second half of the season. If the owners do not give Rafa the necessary backing in the January transfer window and next summer, then there is not much further we can go, and Rafa would be wasting his time here. Too many clubs have caught up with us and that has become hugely apparent now.

As is often the case, sides are overrated on their early season form.  Every season sides fall away badly or pick up almost twice as many points in the second half of the season as the did in the first half.

I reckon Arsenal won't be good enough to sustain a genuine title challenge and will probably be 10 points off the pace at the end (give or take 5 points).   Man City and Spurs won't win the league and are both inconsistent enough to finish as low as 8th-12th.  Spurs could do 4th at best, Man City 2nd at best.  But the potential for spiraling down the table is there for both Spurs at Man City, so a lot will have to go right for them to finish top 4. 

Quite a bit would have to go wrong for Chelsea or the mancs to finish outside the top 4.  Most likely these two are going to finish top 2.  Their bad runs will be shortish, and their good runs potentially very long.

Villa are a good team but will again struggle to compete at the level needed to finish top four for the entire season.  They haven't improved enough on last season to make that jump.  Everton are in the same boat and have had a relatively ordinary start to the year.

As for us, in terms of picking up points, we can't do too much worse than we currently are.  If you include Aquilani in our best side, we haven't had it on the park yet and won't until December.  It won't be until probably February (at best) that we have our best defenders (Carra, Agger Johnson), midfielders (Masch, Lucas, Aquilani, Gerrard) and attackers (Torres, Yossi, Kuyt, Riera) all ready to play at the same time.  That leaves plenty of improvement.

I don't think we'll win the league, but there are a lot of things that can and will turn around for us.  Continuing our good run against the mancs, Chelsea and Arsenal from last season would also be a nice way to keep within a reasonable tally of the top.

Offline dzaek

• Paid on the quality of his posts - currently owes the Mods Ł275
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Please Please The Reds!!!!!
    • The Economics of Football is Astounding!
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2009, 07:10:25 am »
I'd take 4th place in a heartbeat. Anything else is a bonus. Regroup and come back stronger next season.

Eh, if we finish 17th next may, n at the same neverton gets relegated, i'll still be very happy. (",)
"The Best Things To Do In Life Are To Do Those Others Believe You Can't." - dzaek

Offline astrored

• is this the worst custom title in living memory?...
  • Anny Roader
  • Paradox
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2009, 07:15:50 am »
Easy one this...if you're asking.

For the players:
1. Play decent football, first and foremost.
2. Stop leaking goals.

For the management:
1. Get your act together.

Offline lord_anshul

• Anny Roader
  • Here we go again!
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2009, 08:25:52 am »
Looking at our run of games coming up, i think we can put together a good run starting against Debrecen. These next few games could be crucial.

24 Nov, 2009   Debrecen   Champions League Group Phase   A   19:45   
29 Nov, 2009   Everton   Barclays Premier League   A   13:30   
05 Dec, 2009   Blackburn Rovers   Barclays Premier League   A   15:00   
09 Dec, 2009   Fiorentina   Champions League Group Phase   H   19:45   
13 Dec, 2009   Arsenal   Barclays Premier League   H   16:00   
16 Dec, 2009   Wigan Athletic   Barclays Premier League   H   20:00   
19 Dec, 2009   Portsmouth   Barclays Premier League   A   12:45   
26 Dec, 2009   Wolverhampton Wanderers   Barclays Premier League   H   17:30   

After next three weeks, our life will be much simpler. Our fixtures are relatively simpler and players will start getting fitter. If we hit a series of win then, we\ll be back in business. I still cant understand the big fuss. Still 2/3rd season is left and top 4 does not seem like an issue to me. Every team is going to drop points this season. They all are. I doubt if league topper will be able to mass 90 points. 80-85 should be more than enough to get the league
When in doubt, toss a coin. Not because it will help you take a decision, but because for the moment coin is in the air, you'll know what your heart truly wants.

Offline LFCYNWA

• Anny Roader
  • Professional Kloppite
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2009, 09:01:31 am »
Dont mean to sound the bore but a couple of wins would do for now!

I'd go for that for now say the next 5 games ??
;-)

Debrecen
Blue Noses
Blackburn
Fiorentina
Aresenal

Looking after them 4th place and a good run in champions league or FA Cup ???

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2009, 09:17:57 am »
Lets be positive,glass half full and all that.....we'll avoid relegation..!

Offline Mr.Red

• meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh......meh
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2009, 10:34:30 am »
Everybody's talking about 4th place being our objective right now but I'm sure we'll get at least 3rd as it are a lot of games to be played till the end.Uefa Cup is a crap competition,many of us would say is a waste of playing games but however I'm not too sure we could eventually win it and FA Cup seems to be harder than ever to be won.

We'll se anyway,I'm keeping my confidence about this season.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 05:04:15 pm »
Sign a centre half.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2009, 05:07:48 pm »
Champions.

We are Liverpool.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline wzh999

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2009, 05:14:03 pm »
4th would do for football objectives. As for the club objective, new owners please.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 10:08:41 pm »
Two things are holding us back big time at the moment:

Defence
Injuries

Sort these out and we are more than capable of mounting a late title challenge, let alone finish in the top four.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 10:22:00 pm »
Get in to the top four by hook or by crook and stay there

Win the UEFA cup or whatever it is called these days

Beat the Scum and Blueshite

Get rid of Voronin, Dosenna and Degen in January. None of them offer anything a youth graduate doesn't but soak up a fortune in wages. Get a proven striker in the window on loan if nescessary.

Sweet talk an investor in to buying a stake in the club, with the price of building materials relativley low, order steel and concrete for the new stadium now.

Give the likes of Darby, Ecclestone, Kelly, Spearing and Ayala a few games in the first team
Justice for the 96!

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 10:29:43 pm »
1. Either qualify for champions league or finish 4th in group. If we go through, I want to play Man U and/or R Madrid at some point. If we go out tomorrow, the coca cola cup team plays v Fiorentina.

2. If we do end up in the Europa League, go out and win the bloody thing. No fucking about, LFC needs to be feared again throughout Europe. All counts towards CL seedings. Super Cup to twat the CL league winners. However, look forward to playing every sunday until the end of the season.

3. A good FA cup run, knocking either Chelsea or Man U out  along the way, perhaps blowing someone like Man C  away too.

4. To get within single figures of Chelsea by February ie gain 4 points on them. Reassess then.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:32 pm »
Objectives now: just try and play every game to the best of our ability and put a winning run together to show we really have just had bad luck.

We also need to stop the Mancs getting number 19... Just imagine if we've sorted all our injury problems out, secured 3rd or 4th spot and Chelsea need to beat us by a couple in our last home game this season to stop the Mancs taking the title...shit! :-\
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2009, 11:13:26 pm »
Take a corner.

4th spot at least would be nice too.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline La Ligapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • So Raise the Scarlet Standard High
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »
Personally I still think we'll win the league. (and maybe the CL too)
There I said it.

Torres and Gerrard will both stay fit for the rest of the season.
Aquilani will be a revelation and we'll forget all about Xabi.
Glen Johnson will stay fit and play like a world beater.
Riena will prove he's the best in the world.
Carra, Agger, Skrtl will sort out the defensive errors and go on one of those long clean sheet runs.
Mascherano will return to his absolute destructive best.
Yossi and Dirk will both play out of their skin and bring us 15+ goals each.
We'll gobble up the 13 point gap and everyone will forget that we ever had a few poor games.

Chins up.
A new era begins.
Let's be patient,
It feels good,
German with a Brazilian flavour
@mowords

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:08 pm »
Premier league champions  2010
Champions league winners 2010
Fa cup champions  2010

As far as i know were not out of any yet ..

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 11:21:43 pm »
Premier league champions  2010
Champions league winners 2010
Fa cup champions  2010

As far as i know were not out of any yet ..
Gutted mate. Just clicked back on this. Think this season will be one step back, and hopefully give the players different experience to take two steps forward next seas. Really gutted am thinking of next season already. Hopefully Champions League Qualification and a cup run in either the Europa League or FA Cup.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 08:03:52 pm »
Sign a centre half.
And finish in the top 4...
The only way we will finish in the top 4 is if our defence sorts themselves out... If the defence dont go back to basics, I fear we will be 5th to 7th place.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »

Agree with this... And I fear if we end up below 4th, the bad times may continue, and the only way back could be in a shape of some rich sugar daddy. I dont like the sound of that either though. Would be nice to simply build a nice team, playing attractive football, bought on the cheap with the odd star player, and then get a top 4 finish... That would be progress of the highest order.
to be honest, I am hating football right now... Everything about it smells 'money'... From the ineptness of those muppets who run football such as FIFA and UEFA... to the refusal to use technology to help referees... to the disrespect shown to supporters.
Honestly, sometimes I wonder what is happening to our once great sport.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:22 pm »
Take each game as it comes, try and get the squad fit, play ourselves into some form and get our pride back for this season.

Oh and win the Europa and FA cups.

And 4th or better in the league.

And for the media and a large portion of our own fans to fuck off.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude