Author Topic: The Future of LFC: part 2 by Paul Tomkins  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
The Future of LFC: part 2 by Paul Tomkins
« on: May 20, 2004, 04:30:13 pm »
The Future of LFC, in Two Parts

Part Two: The Future On The Field

For me, supporting Liverpool is not about hoping for success *right now*, but I need to feel that the club is moving in the right direction - like the supporters of any other club, I guess (apart from Man U and Arsenal, where they expect the title every season; it's been a while since we were at that level). There has to be improvement to look forward to, even if those hopes dissipate by mid-October. Despite the 80 points of 2001/02 - a great tally - there were signs that we were actually regressing in some areas (victories were clawed out, rather than earned with room to spare). Since then we've fallen away in numerous other ways.

Providing Gerard Houllier (or whoever replaces him) can allow them the full freedom to express themselves, and set in place a tactical system that suits their abilities, there remains a wealth of talent at Liverpool: the words-fail-me magnificence of Gerrard (they don't fail me, I have many superlatives, but this article is long enough already); the ever-reliable Owen (who remains a gem and keeps scoring, season after season, at a rate of one-in-two); Kewell (when fully fit); Hyypia; the incoming Cisse; and in terms of defensive reliability, Jamie Carragher. We have two keepers with problems: one physical (Kirkland's brittle bones to go with his bad luck), and after the torrid time Jerzy suffered in 2002/03, his problems remain mental. But both are still huge talents. Hamann remains the best in the league at what he does. Riise, when he plays like he has recently, could still be the best left back in the country (hard running, scores goals; just needs to stop shooting from 50 yards and hitting needless Norwegian-style long punts upfield, while the defensive side of his game should improve with experience - hopefully he's come through his poor spells as a better player).

The first team squad also contains three great young attacking talents who can only improve: Baros, Pongolle and Le Tallec. At Crewe, Neil Mellor will show us if he can translate his natural ability into evenly-matched games, instead of having ten international teammates set him up in the reserves.

The raw material is there. There remains a lot to work with. Owen will stay (even if only on a short-term contract with a get-out clause - but great that he's promised to avoid a Bosman), and if £50m can't buy Henry from Arsenal (who aren't exactly rolling in money), then £50m couldn't buy Steven Gerrard from Liverpool. He is the club captain, and Liverpool through-and-through; if things aren't any better in two or three years, then he may look elsewhere (and who could argue?), but he knows these are exciting times at LFC - a crucial summer of rebuilding. He'll want to be a central part of that.

The problem, as I mentioned in Part One yesterday, is that too many of the squad players aren't up to the task at hand - but with all the soul searching by both GH and the board, their days are surely numbered anyway, one way or another. While a player like John Welsh may not quite be ready for the first team, we could do well to follow Arsenal's more pared-down squad; if Diao has proven incompetent, then why not sell him on and let Welsh develop? This is should be obvious to all and sundry, and it's a shame injury robbed Welsh of the chance to go to Sunderland on loan. But it might take a new man to be totally ruthless; it was easy for GH to quickly bin Ince, Leonhardsen and McAteer and promote Steven Gerrard from the Academy, but it's less easy for him to bin players he's spent fortunes on himself. A new manager would surely find it easier to opt for Welsh over Diao. (Although I don't believe GH has been avoiding playing youth team players on purpose - I don't think any manager would fail to choose what he feels to be his best team; but maybe he could become blinkered on certain issues).

Debates about adding decent talent like Joey Barton to the squad are valid enough, and I can think of several other players who'd serve as useful back-up - but are probably not yet ready for the first team (Forest's Dawson - a wonderful prospect - being one). Alan Smith remains an interesting player, whose goal tally is questionable but whose desire is not, but would surely only join to compete with Baros as third choice? (Anyway, he favours Man U - I bet the Leeds fans love that!). All of these players would be welcome in my eyes, but none would advance us as a team, initially at least (and we're at the stage - certainly if GH stays - of needing instant rewards; a new man will get longer to build a team than GH from this point in time, and rightly so. GH has had plenty of time to get things right - and these were supposed to be the "pay off" years according to his five year plan).

A player I like, who could be an interesting signing, is Jermaine Pennant, if he decides he can't displace Pires at Arsenal and wants a new challenge. It's no shame not being as good as Robert Pires, after all! Pennant has pace, skill, can cross and is capable of scoring goals; he's young - perhaps too young, at 20, given we could use more experience - but is another player with proven Premiership experience after a season shining in a very poor side on loan at Leeds. But he's not someone to get the fans salivating, I'll grant you. But I could see him flourishing on the right of our midfield, dribbling like Diouf but delivering crosses into the 18-yard box, not the Director's box. Owen Hargreaves is another quality act, but again, he's not the kind of signing to sell thousands of season tickets. But he's quick, hard-working and very decent on the ball. Gaizka Mendieta is a class act, but perhaps now tied to Boro, and Rothen of Monaco has looked very good in their run to the Champions League final.

Malbranque is another really talented player who we've been linked to, with good experience in the Premiership in an average side, but has yet to prove he can play for a big club; but he looks worthy  f pursuing. Thomas Rosicky is another clever, tricky player, but my German spies (okay, the bloke I know who watches German football on Sky) says he's too lightweight. The last thing we need is more talented but lightweight players.

Young up-and-coming talent would normally be the way forward - players on the brink of greatness, the world class stars of tomorrow - but GH has gone down that route before, and already "wasted" two years waiting for Diouf and Cheyrou to deliver what he believed they promised. Whoever we sign needs to hit the ground running; be ready TODAY. That brings additional pressure, and perhaps only the year's grace a new manager would be granted would allow new signings time to settle. Any player joining a new club should be given a year to fully find his feet; two years without producing at all, though, is too long. Man U suffered this season following a series of sub-standard signings - Saha and Howard excepted - but only next season will they be able to tell for sure how good their new players are; alas, Ronaldo seems to have finally found the end product that totally eluded El Hadji Diouf.

At present, I can think of only very good potential signings, not great ones (in terms of instant fan approval); with the very best established players - the world class talent that may become available - likely to head to richer clubs like Chelsea, or clubs with a more established Champions League pedigree over recent seasons (and we're still not in the group stages, let's not forget). Others, like Ronaldinho, are only available for £60m+, and not even worth fantasising about. We will have a lot of money if someone buys into our club (and could raise another £20m in combined sales, with a bit of luck! - we've already recouped £6.25m), but the very best players will still be beyond our reach for numerous reasons... unless someone like Hitzfeld was in charge: a man who has won half a dozen league titles and the European Cup with two different sides. I feel top players might sign for him ahead of the respected - but now doubted - Houllier.

So I just don't see any "instant miracle" signings on the horizon; but with Cisse, we've got someone with the physical attributes to become a huge success. I don't think opposing fans are prepared for just how quick he is. So far, Cisse for Heskey is a massive improvement - in theory, at least.

When thinking of potential signings, though, we cannot imagine the chemistry that may take place between an incoming player and the existing team members; sometimes a very good player will be far more effective than a "great" player who doesn't fit the plan (certainly that was Liverpool's strength under Paisley - he had the most wonderful spine to his team, but augmented it with some underrated players who suddenly came to life within the Liverpool system). But can we, as supporters, crave merely "very good" players? Of course not. We want ready-made superstars. The teams us fans pick work only on paper, exist only in theory. But a very good player like Malbranque might be a better signing than an aging superstar like Luis Figo, who might upset the dressing room harmony (not that we've been linked to Figo). Who knows? Not me! (But I hope we employ someone who does).

Of the first team, I can find three positions that need urgent addressing - Cisse's immenent arrival (all being well, and reports say it is a done deal, irrespective of GH's future) reducing that to two. That leaves the right hand side of midfield, and centre back (where Boumsong seemed to fit the bill, until he inexplicably went to play for a big club in the world's least competitive league).

A much-maligned player has been Igor Biscan, and centre back - alongside the magnificent Sami (re-born once spared the burden of captaincy) - is one area that needs addressing. Funnily enough (and I imagine some will indeed laugh), I think Igor was excellent 75% of the time, but he just made too many high profile errors (some comically bad), and that's what people remember. His errors were very visible, whereas other players let the side down in more subtle ways, through hiding, or not tracking back, or taking up the wrong positions. Or in Diouf's case, by a total lack of professionalism. We certainly kept plenty of clean sheets with Igor in the side. But his inexperience in the position told at times, and we haven't got the luxury of time to wait for him to mature.

It may be purely coincidental, but I believe our best attacking performances have nearly all come with Igor in the side in place of Henchoz (a great stopper, and a player whose commitment I very much admire, but who cost us plenty of goals as well, but in a less visible manner). Igor's pace allowed us to defend higher up, and therefore it goes without saying that the midfield is inevitably further advanced and in touching distance of the strikers, and you have a compact side who can pop the ball about nicely, with a red shirt within reach at all times; Stephane's main crime is the tendency to drop unbelievably deep, leaving three distinctly separate units of defence, midfield and attack, so the only option became to hit the 70-yard hopeful punt, or for Gerrard to come back and pick the ball up from Didi, who is forced to sit equally deep, so you end up with half the team stuck just in front of their own 18-yard line, doing nothing. That leaves your forwards totally isolated.

Two goals by beloved ex-Reds highlight the major Henchoz weakness. Berger's goal at Fratton Park was a disgrace from our point of view: Berger unmarked on the penalty spot from a pull-back, and THREE Liverpool defenders, with Henchoz the deepest, doing nothing but get in the keeper's way in the six yard box. At the City of Manchester stadium, Fowler scored his late equaliser because yet again Henchoz was standing deeper than his teammates, playing Robbie onside from all of four yards out! It was noticeable that when we won at Old Trafford, GH had insisted very publicly that we defend higher up - but it's new tricks for old dogs, and Henchoz's lack of pace meant that had Saha got through on goal that day, no-one could have recovered. Alongside the snail-slow but brilliant and extremely tall Sami (who can go on for another five years - he has no pace to lose!), we need the insurance policy of the kind of pace Biscan offered, but with the wonderful defensive nous of Henchoz. Finding someone who combines those two attributes will be tough.

(Just as with Danny Murphy, it's hard not to wish that Henchoz had pace: how much better both players would be with a bit of acceleration - Danny would be light years ahead of someone like Kieran Dyer if he had the Newcastle man's pace).

No More Excuses

"On our day" should be banned from football excuses, and thankfully Steven Gerrard went some way to doing that with some recent comments. "On our day" is not good enough; on "their" day, Southampton beat us twice. Does that make them better than us? No! So beating Man United and Chelsea does not mean we are as good as them; only finishing the season with more points or, failing that, trophies, counts.

Harry Kewell hasn't had a great season; but he still managed eleven goals from open play, and I'm stumped to think of the last midfielder we had to break double figures without the inclusion of penalties and free-kicks - possibly Paul Ince the season he scored ten? The two times Danny hit double figures he would not have done from open play goals alone. We all expect more from Harry, but most crucially, despite their existence (settling into a new side, a niggling injury that refused to clear up), he has said he has no excuses: he hasn't been up to the standards he sets himself. He takes the blame - not the manager, not his colleagues. Him: Harry Kewell. It was the same when Gerrard was below par last season. The best players take it upon their own shoulders, and look within for a solution. (Contrast with Emile Heskey, who, upon parting ways with LFC, quoted not playing as an out-and-out striker in the last two seasons as the reason he wasn't a total success; funny, I thought he played there fairly frequently, and did well at times, but the problem with Emile was incurable: an unbelievable lack of self-belief to go with his strength and speed, and when it came to eradicating the faults from his game, a lack of self-awareness, as backed-up by his parting statement).

Harry has been very self-critical, and that takes bravery, as it makes your faults even more public. But look at how Steven Gerrard responded this season; we can but hope Harry, with a good pre-season behind him, does the same next season. At least he can put his feet up this summer, unlike most of our key players.

Pace To Burn Should Be a Blessing, Not a Curse

One thing we need to be careful of is solving one problem, only for the solution to create new problems. This is a paragraph from the Telegraph that relates equally to us - Gary Lineker on Arsenal:

"Reyes and Henry could prove a very lively partnership next season. They both have such damaging pace that I can see teams defending on the six-yard line. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there is a serious point there. One of the reasons Arsenal are so successful is that opponents tend to drop off so much because they are terrified of Henry's pace and that leaves space for the likes of Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg to exploit."

You have to say that with Cisse clearly quicker than Henry (quote: Thierry Henry himself, on timings from the French training sprint sessions), and Owen at least as quick as the sprightly Reyes, if not quicker (currently Mickey seems to be playing within himself, sprinting-wise, so it's hard to say), then we should be posing teams the same questions as Arsenal. With Heskey quick when he felt in the mood, maybe we should have already been doing that, but you sense with Cisse that, unlike Emile, he won't need to be asked twice to use his blistering pace to positive effect.

With Gerrard and Kewell capable of doing the damage Arsenal's midfield does, then surely it only needs one more player in that class of attacking football to put us much closer to the champions? In theory, at least. What Reyes and Henry have that Owen and Cisse don't is that real creative edge and flexibility, to create as well as score; both Arsenal men were used primarily as wingers before Wenger got hold of them, and so they can still drift out wide to leave gaps for the midfield to exploit. When out wide, they can be devastating.

That means we need to make sure we compensate for this in other areas, and having a purely "sit in and hold" midfielder when Arsenal's - Viera - does so much more, only leaves us further behind. While Cisse clearly looks a great buy, with a hugely impressive 26 league goals this term (seven more than the explosive Drogba), it appears we'll be playing with two out-and-out goalscorers - maybe we could be better served by a canny goalscoring/creating forward, like King Kenny, Denis Bergkamp, Beardo or "prime years" Sheringham (not a favourite of mine, but someone who might have been ideal, as he regularly got 20 goals-a-season, and seeing as he was also good in the air - something you'd need alongside the small Owen: Beardsley wouldn't have provided a sufficient physical buffer).

So maybe the Cisse/Owen axis could yet signal an end for Didi, much as I have to be careful saying such things, given the good, sometimes great, and always - at the very least - effective job Didi does. (Not that I can realistically see GH ditching Didi, but it might yet become an issue). Arsenal's best football this season came with Vieira and Edu in midfield, with both players frequently getting forward when the chance arose.

There can be no doubt that teams will have to defend even deeper against us than they now do (a problem we still haven't fully come to terms with). We have to be pushing midfielders onto those retreating defenders, forcing them back, keeping them there, and making things happen around the 18-yard box. If we are not counter-attacking (which will be ever-less likely, given how teams will set up so defensively against us), goals will only come - from Owen and Cisse at least, as they hit the brick wall of a deeply-seated massed defence - from the most cunning of passes (see Bergkamp and Gerrard at the weekend). But those kind of passes are rarities, even from players of that stature - you might get one gem per game, and that's one chance that cannot be missed. Signing Cisse for his phenomenal pace will only end up with the opposition - especially at Anfield, where tactically we're already stalling - seeking to nullify it; so we don't really get the full effectiveness of that pace for most of the game, merely the enormous knock-on-effect of how it allows the rest of our players more space. So it's more a case of how the midfield adapts to this, and takes the initiative. Games will be there for the taking, if we are positive enough. And a lot of people doubt GH allows his teams to be positive enough.

Didi could become an expensive luxury - an insurance policy for an event that will be less likely happen; so far he's tended to prove his worth, but now we are talking about finding ways of reaching the next level. It could be that Didi in fact becomes even more essential - time will tell; but if teams defend deeper against us, and show even less ambition against us through fear of Cisse breaking loose, then their midfield will drop deeper too, and so will their strikers. It stands to reason. Meanwhile, we'll have four defenders sitting back; or the two centre backs, at least, and one full-back (Carra, most likely). However it pans out, we will have more than two defenders dealing with one striker (or maybe no strikers!). To have a defensive midfielder as well may - theoretically at least - be pointless for 75% of games. Similarly, if we sign a quicker centre half who can recover and become the back four's own insurance policy, then that's another reason to sacrifice Didi for a more creative player - not a luxury lazy fat playmaker, but a modern midfielder who can, like Vieira, bomb forward from a holding position and, at times, get ahead of the strikers.

The next option is that our midfielders, allowed to advance to the edge of the opposition area, shoot on sight (but not pointlessly from 40 yards, as Didi and Riise annoyingly do). In 2001, with Gerrard scoring crackers from distance, and a midfield squad containing Redknapp, Berger, Muprhy and McAllister, we were perhaps more capable of doing this with  success.

Both Danny and Didi are capable of great long-range efforts, and Danny the cunning pass also, but I'd only want to see Danny in the side alongside Stevie G, in place of Didi - Danny and Didi together are often just too one-paced; the sense remains that something is missing from Danny's game out wide, and while I rate him, you have to now be looking at major improvements to the first team, and he remains one of the players with doubts hanging over them at the highest level (but I haven't forgotten how good he was in 2002/03). I liked Gerrard's partnership with Danny that season, but in my theory-world I'd earmark Danny as the one to hold - Gerrard needs full licence to attack, but Danny can also push up frequently, when the opportunity presents itself; meanwhile, Danny is widely regarded as tactically astute beyond his years, therefore he should be able to read the play, as Didi does, and he's certainly no weaker in the tackle than the spindly-legged German! It's something to ponder, at least. It works in my "theory", but practice is something else.

Right midfield (or left, if Harry switches like Pires) is an area that if filled by a world class talent who blends instantly with his teammates would help take us to a new level - that seems almost inevitable, providing the rest of the elements remain in place. I'm not the biggest fan of Beckham as an all-round player (although he's won me over a bit in recent seasons), and he's not someone who'd come to Liverpool or whom we could afford even with a massive cash injection into the club, but someone of his ilk, who could score 15 goals from right midfield and supply those kind of crosses, would double Mickey's goal tally each season. Stevie G could do that, of course, but he's needed elsewhere. (Yes, we'd all love several clones of Steven Gerrard to fill the team).

Who we can find to play right midfield remains to be seen. But a class act there, and at centre back alongside a rejuvenated Sami, and of course the introduction of Cisse, could easily improve our first team by 30%. (Yes, those words again: in theory). And that's the kind of improvement we'll be looking for. That's another 20 points, and that's very close to challenging for the title, if not quite matching the standards Arsenal have set that may be beyond our reach for the forseeable future.

Whoever we sign, they need to be able to play in the quick, incisive pass-and-move style that all successful teams (with very few exceptions) employ. Ideally, at least one will be an experienced older pro (ideally with experience of the particular demands on players at a big club, and even more ideally, with Premiership experience: I can only think of Mendieta who fits all those criteria). Most crucially, they need to have the courage - and maybe even borderline arrogance (a.k.a. enormous self-belief) - to be able to handle the pressure of being a Liverpool player (Cisse seems to fit that bill, thankfully), and instead of hiding behind the quick easy "get rid" pass, to follow Steven Gerrard's lead and stand up and be counted (especially at Anfield), in both tracking back and tackling and, more crucially, in being brave with the ball at their feet.

Anyone can chase someone and kick them up in the air, but it takes a special courage to be brave with the football. Those are the players we need.

© Paul Tomkins 2004

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Future of LFC: part 2 by Paul Tomkins
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:57:46 pm »
Great Read.
I didn't think it was possible to better part 1 but you managed it!!

Offline redmonkey

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 05:12:18 pm »
Excellent post, let's hope that Cisse makes the impact that we all want to see

I agree with your analysis of the central midfield position, I think the question is whether we go for a box to box player with pace (like Hargreaves), or a more attacking player who can make late runs into the box and can also act as a playmaker (like Scholes)

My instinct is to go for a more attacking player in central midfield (others may disagree), so that we can exploit Gerrard's superior all round game in comparison to Keane or Vieira - it would give us that bit extra over other central midfield partnerhips

Also it would allow us more variety in attacking play, because as you say teams will be playing with two banks of five to try and stop Owen and Cisses' pace, and we need players from midfield who can get into the box unmarked

There aren't many players like that available though

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 05:21:51 pm »
Great post again, but I think we (Liverpool fans) are over playing the impact cisse will have (if he *does* come that is)  I might be pessimisstic, but I keep fearing that he might have to bed in and get used to the English game.  I hope to death I am proved wrong.  Hopefully with him and two other 'world class' signings which Stevie G wants then, and maybe only then will I feel a little more confident... (oh and a change of manager  ;))

Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 05:33:27 pm »

I agree with your analysis of the central midfield position, I think the question is whether we go for a box to box player with pace (like Hargreaves), or a more attacking player who can make late runs into the box and can also act as a playmaker (like Scholes)

My instinct is to go for a more attacking player in central midfield (others may disagree), so that we can exploit Gerrard's superior all round game in comparison to Keane or Vieira - it would give us that bit extra over other central midfield partnerhips

There aren't many players like that available though

I think everyone has (rightly) got their own ideas. Getting the blend is the difficult thing - something that GH probably hasn't done so far. I have a feeling we'll end up signing at least one player who's a total surprise.

As for partnering Gerrard - well, he excelled in the holding role for the first half of the season, then was even better in a more attacking role in the second half. Someone alongside him who pops up late in the box would, as you say, be a nice option. But you are equally right in wondering who is available who fits that bill. There are few better midfielders at finishing than Super Dan - trouble is, he doesn't get into the box enough (not sure if that's tactical, or down to his lack of pace, but when he does get in the box, he rarely misses the target - and unless we sign a penalty taker, he could be worth his place on pens alone - we had something like 15 this season!).

One player I forgot to mention was Wright-Phillips - another good option, if not a 'world-class' player.

PAUL

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 05:34:43 pm »
Great Read.
I didn't think it was possible to better part 1 but you managed it!!

Hey - just don't ask for a Part Three - my fingers ache!  ;)

Offline kipper1970

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 05:37:47 pm »
Have you thought of applying for the (soon-to-be-vacant) managers job yourself?

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 05:41:29 pm »
A player I like, who could be an interesting signing, is Jermaine Pennant, if he decides he can't displace Pires at Arsenal and wants a new challenge. It's no shame not being as good as Robert Pires, after all! Pennant has pace, skill, can cross and is capable of scoring goals; he's young - perhaps too young, at 20, given we could use more experience - but is another player with proven Premiership experience after a season shining in a very poor side on loan at Leeds. But he's not someone to get the fans salivating, I'll grant you. But I could see him flourishing on the right of our midfield, dribbling like Diouf but delivering crosses into the 18-yard box, not the Director's box.
Superb article again Paul. I thought exactly like you did about pennant - he tortured
riise at Anfield & he tortured Jamie at Elland Road & has been Leeds main creative channel this season  BUT then I saw that "Football Stories" doc. on Sunday night, and he came over as a prize would-be playboy who loves the glitzy London life, has a few too many drinks & could well go "off the rails".... did you see that bit where he was  saying yeah, i THINK it's not within 48 hours of a match, eerm, I think, yeah, I can have a few beers ....

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 05:50:32 pm »

Superb article again Paul. I thought exactly like you did about pennant - he tortured
riise at Anfield & he tortured Jamie at Elland Road & has been Leeds main creative channel this season  BUT then I saw that "Football Stories" doc. on Sunday night, and he came over as a prize would-be playboy who loves the glitzy London life, has a few too many drinks & could well go "off the rails".... did you see that bit where he was  saying yeah, i THINK it's not within 48 hours of a match, eerm, I think, yeah, I can have a few beers ....

I have considered Pennant for a while but I also saw the programme on TV and would be concerned about him for the same reason.

I'm concerned about how our transfers are being run in general, why sell a player (or buy another for that matter) when we seem to be in the process of sacking the manager....

Additionally, I am concerned that the managerial and boardroom (ahem) 'activities' could mean we miss the opportunity to get the players the (possibly new) manager wants.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 05:52:26 pm »
Didn't see that, but I had heard ages back that Pennant had a poor attitude, but I assumed he'd grown out of it given his impressive showing at Leeds. Maybe not - although someone told me the show was filmed many months ago. He'd need to grow up at Anfield.

As for me being manager, albeit mentioned in jest (and believe me, I'm replying in jest!) - well, I'm okay on the theory side, but I don't envy any manager having to put it into practice! My teams never lose, in my head!

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 06:59:14 pm »
Paul,
Many thanks for the really good 2 part article.  A very interesting and insightful read.
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline parr

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 07:14:47 pm »
I can only agree with those complimenting the article, it's very good.

Jermaine Pennant was notorious at Notts County for being a being a talented player with an awful attitude. I think I'm right in saying he's also been kicked out of an England youth squad for breaking curfew.

I wouldn't read too much into the "Football Stories" program though. I think it was his 21st birthday, (which would mean it was filmed in January) and it wasn't like he got hammered, at least not on camera anyway.

I definately think we need a right sided midfield player who can put quality balls in the box. You can't just lob it in and expect Michael to win the 50-50 battle in the air, but if you put it right on his head ala Beckham for England, he'll score.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 08:20:00 pm »
Great read yet again....... I think you should be locked in RAWK and not allowed to leave........dodgy fingers or not.

:)

True about our defensive problems, I wouldn’t be looking at playing Sammi/Steph as our central defensive partnership next season, we need to improve there or at the very least convert Carra full time in my opinion.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 08:31:25 pm »
Cheers, Christine - but I'm not sure I like the idea of being locked in a website!  ;)

Defensively, Carra has done brilliantly at centre back lately, albeit in just a couple of games, but GH always felt he'd make that his own when he was old enough - he wasn't at 20/21 (an age for loads of mistakes as a centre back) but he could be now. Still not sure he's quick enough, but he has to be in the back four somewhere.

Ade

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 10:25:20 pm »
Interesting reading.  I think you are right that although he has been outstanding at times Didi is the man who has to make way.  What has disappointed me is that we have not been able to give players like Igor the chance; I wonder how he would play alongside Stevie given a decent run of games, apart from his naivety I don't think he has let us down.  Also those attacking options have at times even this season looked so much better when Kewell and Smicer have played together, if only Smicer could play for 90 mins like he sometimes does for 20.  I just think in a good side he would be such an asset.
New signings:  Cisse looks the part but can he play alongside Owen.  At his best (Birmingham most recently) you have to say Heskey and Owen did work.  For me at least one signing this summer has to move the club forward and it has to be a Centre Half, with pace, but who of the quality is available, wants to come and will fit in on day one.  I'd take Woodgate (despite his history and fitness problems) or even Southgate for two seaons.  Sorry but I disagree about Hyppia, for me both he and Henchoz have been guilty of the 'long ball' and I would dump them both, move Carragher infield and buy a world class new boy.  Give Riisse his chance at left back and Finnan, despite his Father Dougal impressions for most of this season, his chance at right.  Try Igor in centre midfield and scout the world for the best available right sided midfielder.

I agree about Le Tellac, Pongolle but am concerned about Baros's blind alley approach sometimes, he undobtably has the ability but needs to work on his teamsmanship

Here's hoping

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 10:29:37 pm »
Articles like this always fill me with optimism.

:wave
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 11:05:06 pm »
I agree about Le Tellac, Pongolle but am concerned about Baros's blind alley approach sometimes, he undobtably has the ability but needs to work on his teamsmanship

Here's hoping

Totally understand where you're coming from with that one, towards the end of the 2002/2003 season when he played a little I never did feel totally confident in his ability to do the job, the main reason was I was sick of seeing him receive the ball and then run at goal head down with no end product, he was getting hyped to death by many LFC fans but for me, well I just wasn’t sure.  :-\

That’s why I was really looking forward to the start of the 2003/2004 season, one of the things I so wanted was to see Baros given a good consistent run in the side, certainly don’t think I’ve seen anywhere near enough of him over the last few season to form any kind of opinion but that fucking injury  :no….. and after I had actually for the first time seen him run at goal LOOK UP and supply a great ball for Owen to score, that really did give me some hope.

Guess we’re gonna have to wait till the 2004/2005 season to get a decent look at him, that’s presuming he’s still with us like.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 11:07:44 pm by Christine »
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2004, 12:31:26 am »
paul
excellent read - both posts.
will post more when have time
Yep.

Offline tony

• chestnut
  • Anny Roader
  • bugger the wine mines a beer
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 03:58:23 am »
One player I forgot to mention was Wright-Phillips - another good option, if not a 'world-class' player.

great read as all your articles are. i also wondered if wright-phillips would do a job for us, pieces we see of him on tele i think would do a goood job for us. agree with your theories on positions we need to improve on.

hopefully more articles fron you in the summer
dont sulk deal with it

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 09:06:46 am »
I think Baros is a quality player, and the management asked him to be more direct. Milan's international record is superb for one so young, and he is a natural finisher. I agree about his lack of awareness. But I also haven't seen Mickey passing to him as often as I would have liked, and that can be the problem with two goalscorers. One thing Milan does that no other LFC player does is make a b-line for the byline; he doesn't always pull out a great cross, but he has set up loads of chances for others this season.

Milan has yet to have a regular run in the side, and while I'd opt for Cisse and Owen as first choices, Milan has to be a very useful sub, and the clear 3rd choice. He changed plenty of games where he came on.

I hope Cisse and Mickey click - I've not seen too much evidence that Mickey is an easy player to play with. Hopefully Cisse can get wide to supply some crosses for tap-ins. I see then creating chances for each other by dragging defenders away from the other, more than direct interplay. If Cisse breaks wide to chase a ball, then covering defenders will have to go across, leaving Mickey open, and vice versa.

Offline RogerE

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 09:39:23 am »
Call off the search - Paul Tomkins for manager!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 10:22:52 am »
Call off the search - Paul Tomkins for manager!

Trouble with that is, I'd spend £30m on an obscure non-league player, because he is a friend of a friend, and I will of course be acting as his agent, under a false name, and pocket £3m from the deal.

Then I'd try El Hadji Diouf out in goal, on a hunch that he'd be better there than out on pitch. I'd swap Steven Gerrard for that bloke who claimed to be George Weah's cousin and stitched up Soton. On a whim, I'd sell Michael Owen and spend the money on Darren Huckerby. I'd cancel the Djibril Cisse deal and buy Aliou Cisse from Birmingham instead. He's cheaper.

Lacking weight in midfield, I'd tell Sammy Lee to get his kit on and revive his playing days; I'll also arrange for Jan Molby to be air-lifted into Anfield. I'd also tell Digger to swap the nasty suits and awful TV presenting for the famous red shirt and shorts... Maybe Neil Ruddock could play the holding role?

I think I might be onto something here...

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 11:39:44 am »
excellent post. dont know about biscan though. i've always seen him as an accident waiting to happen. SHy and SHz looked very good again towards the end of the season.

Pennant would be nice, but not particularly exciting.

With all the rubbish-talk in the papers about Chelsea putting in a bid for Gerrard, what does everyone think about the prospect of us signing Frank Lampard. I understand he's having contract trouble at chelsea - for some reason, they dont want to give him a pay rise. dont know if we can, though, without thaksin's money  :-\
77-78-81-84-05

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 12:14:25 pm »
Lovely stuff again, more great points!! Tho on the scoring midfield point, Stevie hit double figures in the treble season, spud only pulling level with him in the last game, and they were from open play - but then, Stevie IS awesome.

wideawakewesley

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 01:24:56 pm »
PT,

Again another superb piece and some excellent analysis. I have to say I'm definitely in agreement about your comments on Biscan. I hold up the match at Stamford Bridge as his best performance in a red shirt this season. For those performances alone I think he provides excellent cover for centre-back and could in future be first choice.

I also agree with your statements about the gaps we need to fill. So on that subject, I must say my preferred centre-back and right-winger would be Woodgate and Malbranque, but on top of that I think I would break the bank for Van De Vaart, however I'm only going on reputation, I've not seen too much of him.

What I would like your opinion on is the situation at left-back. Riise is class for sure, but in order to maintain his performances, I feel he needs some real quality to challenge him for the position, much like Carragher and Finnan. Do we go and buy a promising left-back for the job or do we give Warnock more of a chance next season, seeing as he was apparently Coventry's player of the season this year?

Wes

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 01:31:55 pm »
Paul
There has been much discussion about Igor enabling us to play higher up the field and I have long doubted the real benefit of Didi's role, especially how it shapes the team and after Southampton steamed past him for their goal at Anfield.

When Stevie G was in that role, having Igor in the CB role it did mean Stevie could pile up field so we didn't get so stretched.
But Igor isn't right for that position. We need a specialist for there. A pacy one at that. Then I'd have Stevie in front, he has the energy and pace to get up and down the park, - allowing us to go forward en masse without looking over our shoulder.

Houllier's attacking vision and our season has been unable to be realised because of that one fact - we keep nervously looking over our shoulder... watching the back four - are they ok, are they too slow, dare we pass to them ?
Stevie G doesn't pass the ball to those he doesn't trust - when Finnan was not so good recently, Stevie stopped giving him the ball, likewise Igor.
So trust and an allowance to go forward and enjoy the football is needed. And that can only be got by the team really knowing that the defence is ok, that the team aren't stretched, that GH or whoever, doesn't worry about us not going too far forward just in case.

It's that "just in case" secenario that  has stymied our play. We're one up, we back off, just in case, we're 2 up, we stop - just in case. We're piling forward - but not too much - just in case.
So yes I agree about Didi and Igor but Igor ain't the answer.

Milan Baros :
I think he needs a longer run and more time to learn to play in a team. I've been saying this for ages and want to see him understanding the nature of football better without losing that youthful explosive enjoyment. Again "Just in case"  a nervous don't go too far attitude has prevented us from freeing up the talent.
SG was told to curb his 57yd shots, Heskey to not always play in the box, and so on. in fact it was only this season that we saw Carra get over the half way line without oxygen or a map.

So there is a fine line to be drawn- but I do hope Milan learns and watches videos of teams that pass to each other  (Mikey O too!) and plays with the team rather than using his alotted 14mins each match to prove to GH why he should be on from the start.
He reminds me of Michael O earlier on in his career - he tends to run into those wider channels outside the box - mainly because until we had Kewell, our centrist midfield play drew the defenders inward, so thats where the space was.
But those channels are useless when you're facing the wrong goal, and neither Milan nor Mikey will dribble past all the big bad defenders the premiership has to offer.

He and Mikey need to bond and slot in. And get service to their feet facing the right goal - running at speed onto the ball, not stood waiting for it to arrive at their feet then having to turn and start.

hey ho.
Yep.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 04:08:19 pm »

Trouble with that is, I'd spend £30m on an obscure non-league player, because he is a friend of a friend, and I will of course be acting as his agent, under a false name, and pocket £3m from the deal.

Then I'd try El Hadji Diouf out in goal, on a hunch that he'd be better there than out on pitch. I'd swap Steven Gerrard for that bloke who claimed to be George Weah's cousin and stitched up Soton. On a whim, I'd sell Michael Owen and spend the money on Darren Huckerby. I'd cancel the Djibril Cisse deal and buy Aliou Cisse from Birmingham instead. He's cheaper.

Lacking weight in midfield, I'd tell Sammy Lee to get his kit on and revive his playing days; I'll also arrange for Jan Molby to be air-lifted into Anfield. I'd also tell Digger to swap the nasty suits and awful TV presenting for the famous red shirt and shorts... Maybe Neil Ruddock could play the holding role?

I think I might be onto something here...

Finally finished part 2. Nearly replied after I was part way through but that would have been doing it a disservice. I think the above quote shows why your writing comes across so well. You have no delusions about yourself as some kind of all-seeing, all-knowing guru. You're simply someone who puts his opinion on all things LFC out there because you like doing it.

Can't say there's much of your analysis I've disagreed with thus far. I'd be interested in some further thoughts on Hamann. My personal view is that, aside from some excellent performances in the run-in he hasn't been the same after his injury. The performances of Vlad alongside Gerrard in the centre earlier in the season showed the potential of a more attacking partnership in the centre of our midfield provided we have that pace at the back. You were careful not to place Hamann in the obselete pile on the basis of his performances this season being consistently effective. I've always thought him to do an excellent job until this year, when I think he's been patchy. If we could get a new midfielder in, would you sacrifice him - given that he only has a year left on his contract, we may still be able to grab some money for him and his wages are likely to be too high for someone who isn't featuring as regularly as he has done?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 05:00:21 pm »

I think the above quote shows why your writing comes across so well. You have no delusions about yourself as some kind of all-seeing, all-knowing guru. You're simply someone who puts his opinion on all things LFC out there because you like doing it.

Many thanks. I do enjoy sharing my views, but I am trying to learn to be more tolerant of other people's views. I tend to get disillusioned when I encounter too many blinkered fools (the knobheads who can ruin forums), or end up abused, but provided people know their football, I'm happy to discuss it.

I like to think I know my stuff  - I come from a family of footballers, and I was a semi-pro (playing in many different positions - I used to bore regulars on here about it!!) until I had to give the game up, and then spent several years heading up the motorways as a season ticket holder at Anfield. For various reasons I can no longer go, so I do bow to those who attend games - providing they understand football; enough idiots around where I used to sit were clueless (Hally, who sat in front of me, excepted!).

I'll defend my view to the hilt, but I also realise that there are no easy solutions, and that what seems a watertight argument one day can be proved full of holes the next.  I can be as knee-jerk as anyone after a bad showing, and get enough wrong, but hopefully more right. Time tends to be the judge...

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2004, 05:12:14 pm »
providing they understand football; enough idiots around where I used to sit were clueless (Hally, who sat in front of me, excepted!).

Hally knows his football? He kept that quiet ;)

Actually, even I can't carry off 'Hally' and 'quiet' on the same line  ;D

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2004, 05:28:23 pm »
Paul, my PC crashed a few months ago  - did you keep that article you wrote in defence of a certain Spurs (sand ex-Liverpool) captain? :D

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 06:14:59 pm »
Sorry, Cyn - didn't keep old articles... I still rate Jamie, a shame his injuries stopped him reaching his full potential (and it was a good decision to let him go, retrospectively).

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2004, 06:44:29 pm »
That's a pity (I recall you didn't keep your old articles from KT either, right?).

RAWK used to keep an archive of the old articles, but I can't seem to find those articles after the site "upgraded" or moved servers or whatever.

Jamie R's been getting a lot of flak on one of the Spurs forums (I lurk there a fair bit  ;D)

Neil Mackenzie

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 09:57:09 am »
I found your excellent posting thought-provoking and interesting; in fact one best pieces of analysis I have seen.

I wonder about Baros, though. Perhaps I overestimate him, but when I have seen him play he adds something that seems to be lacking in the side. Whereas Steven Gerard is able to power through midfield and take on the defence with what seems to be physical presence, Baros has the ability to take on defender with quick footwork and trickery. It is this ability that seems to leave defences worried, and stretched, allowing players to gain more space in the centre.

My only worry would be his physical presence. Could we afford two fairly light forwards who have no real aerial presence?

Should Smicer still be in the squad? He does seem to have talent, but also, it seems, more talent than Baros for running down blind alleys. At his best he is able to bring the ball from midfield, but once near goal falls over, gives the ball away, fluffs his pass or shoots way off target.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2004, 10:21:18 am »
Thanks, that's appreciated...

I agree about Milan worrying defenders. But I don't think Baros is lightweight - he seems quite robust. But he's not built like Heskey, or as tall. I think Milan is best suited to the role he plays for the Czechs - up front on his own, bustling away. I love his attitude and spirit, and he's a good finisher. But he is frustrating. However, he seems better at running with the ball than Mickey, who tends to run into defenders too frequently. Neither of those two link especially well with whoever they're up front with. We need to remember that he missed a lot of football this season, so despite some promising displays, he wasn't as sharp as he might otherwise have been.

As for Smicer, he can be brilliant, or ineffectual. The best players (Pires, Henry, Gerrard) do it eight games out of ten; and VS only manages three or four - the very same reason I support the sale of Heskey. And as with Jamie Redknapp, who I was sad to see leave (see above comments from Cyn) but who just had to go, you cannot build teams around players with suspect muscles. Steven Gerrard has (touch wood) solved his problems through good medical advice, but Smicer appears incapable of staying fit. You can give a player one, maybe two seasons of grace, but five years of getting injured just when looking the part (and then not being sharp upon his return) means the best he can remain is a squad player. I still think Vladi is our best sub - he is able to change games when he comes on.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2004, 12:57:48 am »
I think Baros is a quality player, and the management asked him to be more direct. Milan's international record is superb for one so young, and he is a natural finisher. I agree about his lack of awareness. But I also haven't seen Mickey passing to him as often as I would have liked, and that can be the problem with two goalscorers. One thing Milan does that no other LFC player does is make a b-line for the byline; he doesn't always pull out a great cross, but he has set up loads of chances for others this season.

Milan has yet to have a regular run in the side, and while I'd opt for Cisse and Owen as first choices, Milan has to be a very useful sub, and the clear 3rd choice. He changed plenty of games where he came on.

I hope Cisse and Mickey click - I've not seen too much evidence that Mickey is an easy player to play with. Hopefully Cisse can get wide to supply some crosses for tap-ins. I see then creating chances for each other by dragging defenders away from the other, more than direct interplay. If Cisse breaks wide to chase a ball, then covering defenders will have to go across, leaving Mickey open, and vice versa.

Fully agree with those words about Baros. to be honest, I think it's sad for him that we are signing Cisse, but let's leave it with that.

I think the problem we have with Mikey is that we haven't made up our minds what we want. Instead of using Owen as a goalscorer, we try to make him a link man, or we've tried to fool ourselves Heskey is one. Basically, I think we've played 4-4-2 with two lone strikers. They work on their own, while for example Bergkamp-Henry forms a team. The partnership I'd like to compare Owen-Cisse/Baros (or even Owen-Heskey) to is AC Milan's Inzaghi-Shevchenko. Two goalscorers. But we don't have the Kaka. And when we have that player, he's given too many defensive restrictions, so he can't really do his job properly.

If we played Owen-Cisse/Baros and put for example Smicer behind, then I believe things would begin to click for real. (The problem becomes what to do with Kewell.)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 10:38:50 am »
I agree that the link between the midfield and strikers remains a problem - GH said that himself the season before last, and Harry was bought for that reason. It didn't work fully, for various reasons, but we rarely strayed from 4-4-2; at home, perhaps we could have been more adventurous at times?

Smicer has excelled in the role behind the strikers on occasion in previous seasons, but mostly when we faced wingbacks and three centre halves, where we could afford the spare man. But you cannot plan for Vladi being fit for long. He just never is!

When we played Kewell and Smicer behind the main striker earlier in the season, we played some great stuff, but didn't get the results and the plan was ditched. But that needs to be solved to get the best out of two out-and-out goalscorers.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2004, 11:29:18 am »
I agree that the link between the midfield and strikers remains a problem - GH said that himself the season before last, and Harry was bought for that reason. It didn't work fully, for various reasons, but we rarely strayed from 4-4-2; at home, perhaps we could have been more adventurous at times?

Smicer has excelled in the role behind the strikers on occasion in previous seasons, but mostly when we faced wingbacks and three centre halves, where we could afford the spare man. But you cannot plan for Vladi being fit for long. He just never is!

When we played Kewell and Smicer behind the main striker earlier in the season, we played some great stuff, but didn't get the results and the plan was ditched. But that needs to be solved to get the best out of two out-and-out goalscorers.

The player that interested me at the start of the season (only doesn't now on the basis that we probably couldn't get him and we all know the Cisse deal is done) was Gudjohnsen. I think he could have been tempted away at the start of the season with all the new players coming in. It was actually someone else's suggestion but when you look at it it makes sense. He is that Bergkamp type striker - only younger and much more capable of chipping in with his share of goals than Bergkamp is these days.

There was a theory being bandied around various people a while ago that putting Heskey in the team made the  team play long ball football. I never really bought it, putting that sort of football down to a lack of pace and ball-playing ability at the back, and also lack of movement from the midfield (which I put down to playing on the counter-attack for so long, the midfield didn't have to create space, they just waited for the opposition to vacate it.) However, if that theory were to be correct, replacing Heskey with Gudjohnsen would certainly lead to the ball coming to his feet more often, as that is his strength. I've also thought for a while that our midfielders don't always get the goals they're capable of (Kewell excepted this season, Murphy last) and that perhaps a striker with the ability to hold the ball up and lay it off as well as Eidur can would bring the midfield into the game higher up the pitch and perhaps provide us with more goals from that area.

One problem as I perceive it is that all our strikers are too similar - direct, pacey, run with the ball types. When they are substituted for one another there is no real change in style - you are simply hoping the player coming on is in better form than the player departing. Being able to vary that would, in my opinion, really help us.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2004, 11:31:21 am »
yet at the start of the season when Stevie G was at the back, and we had HK, VS and EHD at the front of the midfield, we were very flowing. Diouf needs to learn to cross but Smicer is good in that role. Then again so was Jari - we never keep these hole midfielders 'whole' so to speak.... Always injuries and changes to the team.
hence 3-5-2.... shhhh.   ;)

SH SH CARRA

SG

FINNAN/EHD     SMICER      HK   RIISE

MO    A.N.OTHER
Yep.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 12:14:32 pm »
Agree with most of the sentiments in these two posts. (Although of course, 3-5-2 gives most people the willies!).

The one player we have in the squad who is perfect for the 'hole' (as opposed to the black hole so many disappear into), is Le Tallec. Perhaps a year or two too young at present, but from reports he was positively devastating in the reserves in that - his favoured - role. It's a big step up to the first team, but he is the kind of player who should, in theory, dovetail perfectly with Owen. He is a teenage Bergkamp.

He is a good finisher, and a wonderful link player. Tall, he is also extremely good in the air. He is just so clever, he sees things early. He is NOT a wide midfielder, but it's perhaps an easier position to blood a young (and overseas) player in that role in the Premiership. While I think GH was right to give him gaves out wide, there were times, shortly before his injury, when I felt it was right to give him the nod up front, just behind Mickey. His confidence would have been sky-high from the reserves - so it was as good a time as any to try him. It might be another season or two before we see him make the transition, but it's a role the he could make his own.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2004, 12:25:43 pm »
Personally I still can't decide if I'd prefer Le-Tallec up top with Michael or alongside Stevie in the centre. Long term I think his performances in either position will decide that. At the moment I'm still delerious that such a talent is with us, and I'm convinced he'll make a position his own sooner rather than later. I agree it's unlikely to be wide midfield - simply shows his talent that when he played there he still managed to do a job, particularly against the barcodes in the Cup.