Author Topic: Holiday advice - Where in Europe?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Holiday advice - Where in Europe?
« on: March 26, 2017, 02:01:37 pm »
For a 27 year old single male travelling alone mostly. I'm hitting up visiting Croatia for about 9 days but have 5 unplanned days as of yet. I would have come to Liverpool but I'd have to get a separate visa so maybe some other time.

Madrid
Milan
Paris
Moscow/St Petersburg.

Russia is fascinating but I doubt I'd meet many people my age there in the hostels and I figure it deserves the time to do the trans-siberian railway.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:43:51 pm by Titi Camara »
The West is finished, China is the future

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Holiday advice - Where in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:47:22 pm »
What time of year are you coming?  Would you prefer to see 2 or 3 cities or enjoy some downtime on the coast? Guessing you might be doing that in Croatia anyway.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »
Suggestions?
Don't use the term "hitting up" when referring to visiting a country.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:49:28 pm »
Italy
YNWA

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »
What about heading across the border to Ljubljana? Haven't been but looks lovely.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:58 pm »
Some of the places you mentioned are quite far away from Croatia amd each other. I'd probably stay central Europe and head to Prague, Berlin and maybe one other.

I've been pretty poor at exploring a lot of Europe though.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:31 pm »
Myself I cross the border into Austria but maybe go via Trieste, Italy - which is absolutely stunning.

Would you not get an inter rail pass then you have a good mooch into Slovenia, Austria or Hungary.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:02 pm »
I've been to both Berlin and Prague and I'd recommend visiting those cities.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »
If you have not done it before, Rome. Venice is probably better with a date.  I love the Greek Pelopennese, but curiously hated Athens.   

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 03:35:18 pm »
If you have not done it before, Rome. Venice is probably better with a date.  I love the Greek Pelopennese, but curiously hated Athens.   

Best thing about Athens is getting on a ferry to one of the islands!

(Oh and the airport  ;) )
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 04:18:58 pm »
Depends what youre looking for really, if its a once in a lifetime trip round europe youd probably want those major cities but if you want to see some not too touristy places theres loads of good places a bit off the beaten track.

Personally not heard good things about milan. Madrid would be a must plus from there you could even have a little day trip to either toledo or segovia, beautiful places you can get to in half an hour on the train. Paris is paris, definitely would have to be done. Berlin is a cool place however having targeted a few major cities already id be tempted by somewhere like krakow or budapest, something a bit smaller and a bit less full on that still has a brilliant vibe. To be honest i dont think berlin would make the list for me, plenty of interesting stuff to do but i felt it lacked a bit of character...the buildings are obviously mostly not that old due to the damage inflicted during the war so it felt to me like it lacked a bit of identity.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:35:16 am »
not a once in a lifetime event, just looking to get fucked up and meet people. Magaluf? :D :D
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 10:48:48 am »
I would recommend Poland if you've never been. I have just come back from my third trip to Krakow. I find the place quite fascinating, the history and culture is incredible, terribly sad but important to know and learn about for me. The City itself is beautiful and the people fantastic. I don't find it too touristy, except when on some of the tours, I think it retains a lot of its own identity - there are a lot of authentic parts to it, if that makes sense.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:40 am »
Budapest - lots of fun to be had there.

I went to Romania this year. Mainly around Transylvanian. It is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to. People are friendly, weather was good and it was dirt cheap.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:09 am »
not a once in a lifetime event, just looking to get fucked up and meet people. Magaluf? :D :D

Nah. Just full of chavs. There is plenty of places to get fucked up and meet loads of people in Europe. Budapest for one. Just get to a few ruin pubs, drink a load of Pálinka and do some Hungarian square dancing with some beautiful girls.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 11:27:58 am »
Budapest - lots of fun to be had there.

I went to Romania this year. Mainly around Transylvanian. It is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to. People are friendly, weather was good and it was dirt cheap.

But avoid Bucharest, it is a depressing shithole.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 11:33:24 am »
But avoid Bucharest, it is a depressing shithole.

That pleases me. I planned on flying into to Cluj and making my way down to Bucharest and fly back from there but ended up not having time so stayed around central Romania.

What's up with Bucharest? All concrete blocks of flats?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:12 pm »
That pleases me. I planned on flying into to Cluj and making my way down to Bucharest and fly back from there but ended up not having time so stayed around central Romania.

What's up with Bucharest? All concrete blocks of flats?

You can tell it was once a nice place, but then Ceaușescu vomited concrete over it. I had a 16 hour stop over there. I spent mos of the day talking to an orphan in the train station. He was about 8, and could beg in all the major tourist languages.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
Try something a bit different like the mountains of Macedonia...

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
What about heading across the border to Ljubljana? Haven't been but looks lovely.

Ljubljana is alright for a day or two but not ideal for travelling alone as it's rather small.

If you're in Croatia, Venice and Trieste as mentioned above would be a great alternative since it's very close by. Traveled there by myself and really enjoyed it.

Then you have Austria close by as well. You can't go wrong there, from the small towns in the countryside to, in my opinion one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, Vienna.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 02:29:39 pm »
Ultravox reference

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »
If you're in the area you could go down to Sarajevo and maybe somewhere else in Bosnia. I have never been but am going later in the year so you could visit and then offer me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »
Ultravox reference

Sorry that means nothing to me
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 06:12:47 pm »
Sorry that means nothing to me

It was just a reference to one of their more well known songs.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 10:48:38 pm »
Some of the places you mentioned are quite far away from Croatia amd each other. I'd probably stay central Europe and head to Prague, Berlin and maybe one other.

I've been pretty poor at exploring a lot of Europe though.

Their Final Countdown album is the most famous, although I think Wings of Tomorrow is the best.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 10:54:57 am »
If you've only got 5 days outside of Croatia, don't try to cram too much in. I'd have suggested Slovenia, but if you want to meet people you may find it too quiet. Rome is a good call. Agreed that Milan sucks, don't bother with it. Budapest and Krakow both great shouts. Romania is also great, you could spend a couple of days each in Brasov and Sighisoara. When I went, Romania was more of a B&B place than a youth hostel mecca.

From pictures I've seen, Montenegro looks amazing. Probably low on fellow hostel-dwellers, though.

To get fucked up and meet people and just chill out though, Cesky Krumlov in southern Czech Republic is the place to be. Real nice, medieval town. Go inner tubing and pub crawling during the day, eat giant skewers of meat at night. Nothing better.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:56:30 am by GreatEx »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 11:36:26 am »
It was just a reference to one of their more well known songs.

That was nearly as loved as Joe Dolce.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:31 am »
Best thing about Athens is getting on a ferry to one of the islands!

(Oh and the airport  ;) )
went to Kea, one of the Greek islands around 1989/90, the ferry from Piraeus to Kea was the Royal Daffodil II, a former Mersey Ferry
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:21 am »
Last year we knocked out a few cities in about 10 days...

Paris
Brussels
Bruges
Cologne
Hamburg
Athens

Paris is always my favourite. Athens was good too. Actually, recently started getting round to blogging on what's best to see/do/drink here: www.tripolot.blogspot.com.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 01:28:14 pm »
Doesn't anyone go to Sweden? You know, for the women and that.

Love Ren & Stimpy

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »
I would recommend Poland if you've never been. I have just come back from my third trip to Krakow. I find the place quite fascinating, the history and culture is incredible, terribly sad but important to know and learn about for me. The City itself is beautiful and the people fantastic. I don't find it too touristy, except when on some of the tours, I think it retains a lot of its own identity - there are a lot of authentic parts to it, if that makes sense.

Re- iterate this went in march too for the first time and everyone of us who went ( 12 ) all fell in love and want to go again asap . Auschwitz and the salt mines are a must see but the city itself is lovely and original and very walkable with friendly peope and so reasonably priced

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 03:01:29 pm »
Went to Sorrento last Summer with the other half and it's great and very picturesque. Lots of bars to watch football in on your own but probably not great for hostels as it's more of a couples place
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:06 pm »
Am in Barcelona right now and it is definitely worth a few days of anyone's time. Good food, nice people, reasonably priced , awesome buildings and beach too. Nightlife seems active but we have 13 year old with us so no can do, will be back for sure.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:19 pm »
I'm off to Barca start of June :D Need to get my arse into gear with where to stay. AirBnb is a no no innit?

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 10:50:27 pm »
Another vote for Sarajevo here. A total melting pot of cultures -from mosques and synagogues at one end to Soviet blocks at the other. Fantastic, if you're into your History and unreal being in the centre looking up at the surrounding mountains and imagining the siege. Zagreb's especially good for hostels and meeting people too- rather livelier than Sarajevo.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:34 pm »
Vienna or Berlin are well worth your time. Lots of history. Vienna also has a great tourist pass called the Vienna Pass, which can get you into all the main sights for free after you pay for the pass. Food is great there too.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:04 pm »
Yeah always loved Vienna,
Give it a whirl.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:42 am »
I'm off to Barca start of June :D Need to get my arse into gear with where to stay. AirBnb is a no no innit?

How come? I've got a place to stay in Barcelona through airbnb in August

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 02:12:11 pm »
I've travelled a lot in Italy over the past few years, so apart from the more obvious cities, I would recommend any from the following list:
Ravenna - city of Byzantine mosaics
Padova (Padua) - city of frescoes
Siena - beating heart of Tuscan life
Lucca - Tuscany's quieter city
Assisi - most beautiful city of pilgrimage
Perugia - panoramic hillside student city
Arezzo - S Francesco has some of the finest frescoes in Italy
Bologna - city of gastronomy
Cortona - my favourite spot in Tuscany
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)