Author Topic: How do you make Scouse?  (Read 27847 times)

Offline Rafas_Barmy_Army

• Legacy Fan
  • Its rainin sideways.
Re: How do you make Scouse?
« Reply #40 on: November 8, 2009, 05:44:21 pm »
Not had a pan of scouse for ages. Think one is in order this week sometime, you know its winter when people start talking about making scouse again
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 8, 2009, 05:53:44 pm »
I just want to say, good luck; we're all counting on you.

It's on!

2 hours of simmering I reckon :lickin

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 8, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »
Anyone who's made blind scouse, uh, do you just use veggie oxo cubes? or do I need summin else in there? I have veggie gravy granules... ;D

I'm not good at this cooking lark.

Offline rattusdei

• Kopite
  • Look at his face and RAGE. RAGE I say!
« Reply #43 on: November 8, 2009, 06:52:03 pm »
When two Liverpudlians love each other very, very much... ;)

this isn't a reliable method. sometimes the end product is bitter ....

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #44 on: November 8, 2009, 07:09:30 pm »
Scouse should definitely be made with scrag-end of lamb or mutton. I make it with beef just because I don't much care for lamb, but traditionally, cheap lamb is the correct cut. Basically, people get a bit uptight about what should go in it, when basically it's a dish of leftover veg and cheap meat. There is no correct list of veg to stick in it, but they are usually root veg like spuds, carrots, turnips/swede, onions etc, and a lot of people chuck in celery. I use chunks of meat AND mince, as a bit of mince helps to thicken the gravy. The most important thing is the long cooking time, and serving with large slabs of white bread and pickled red cabbage. Mmmm.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #45 on: November 8, 2009, 07:35:12 pm »
Well, when a Mummy Scouse and a Daddy Scouse love each other very much.........  oh, sorry

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 8, 2009, 07:58:14 pm »
scoffed some before, topped with pickled beetroot. not as nice as me mum's but not bad for a first go ;D got plenty left, reckon it'll be even tastier tomorrow :lickin

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #47 on: November 8, 2009, 10:01:42 pm »
It's on!

2 hours of simmering I reckon :lickin

Simmering you say.

That the scouse or Ferguson?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 8, 2009, 10:09:02 pm »
;)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #49 on: November 8, 2009, 11:31:05 pm »
scoffed some before, topped with pickled beetroot. not as nice as me mum's but not bad for a first go ;D got plenty left, reckon it'll be even tastier tomorrow :lickin
That's the best thing about Scouse. I always prefer to eat it the day after.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #50 on: November 8, 2009, 11:40:17 pm »
Word. Doesn't get any better.

Claire if you find it a bit...Irish stewy (which is crap) next time you make it, cut half your spuds really small, they'll disintegrate and the starch in the spud will thicken it beyond stewyness.

yom yom yom yom
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #51 on: November 9, 2009, 12:37:39 am »
Sounds very similar to Irish Stew. Irish Stew was/is traditionally made with lamb, but we use minced beef and stewing pieces if we don't really like lamb.

For some reason, I always thought Scouse was the same as a Dublin Coddle.

I taught that for ages as well. Ive had it a few times. For how stupid it sounds Coddle isnt actually half bad.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 9, 2009, 11:37:48 am »
Word. Doesn't get any better.

Claire if you find it a bit...Irish stewy (which is crap) next time you make it, cut half your spuds really small, they'll disintegrate and the starch in the spud will thicken it beyond stewyness.

yom yom yom yom

Actually I always found scouse to be a lot thinner than proper Irish Stew, when I make Irish Stew I always put half the spuds in right at the start, and add the second half for the last 45 minutes cooking. A few good stirs and the first lot of spuds disintegrate to thicken everything up, and the second lot hold their shape more to give a bit more bite.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: November 9, 2009, 11:40:26 am »
Saw this thread pop up yesterday, and went straight to the shops.

My scouse is currently cooking in the slow cooker while i am at work.  Can't wait!

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 9, 2009, 11:56:51 am »
Did you put any soy mince (that dry stuff, not the frozen kind) in? Wanna make some myself...

Shouldn't have read this thread at lunchtime, getting really hungry now!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 9, 2009, 12:09:44 pm »
I taught that for ages as well. Ive had it a few times. For how stupid it sounds Coddle isnt actually half bad.

My kids actually prefer Coddle to stew. Can't say I blame 'em, I love Coddle. Especially the day after it's been made. Yum......
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #56 on: November 9, 2009, 12:15:24 pm »
Actually I always found scouse to be a lot thinner than proper Irish Stew, when I make Irish Stew I always put half the spuds in right at the start, and add the second half for the last 45 minutes cooking. A few good stirs and the first lot of spuds disintegrate to thicken everything up, and the second lot hold their shape more to give a bit more bite.
I won't get drawn on Scouse and it's poor imitations debate  ;)

But I'll agree it's deffo how you do your spuds that makes all the difference.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #57 on: November 9, 2009, 12:21:56 pm »
I don't like stew made with mince and lamb is too expensive and/or too fatty so I use stewing steak or braising steak.

I brown the meat off, chuck in a load of onions and cook them for a bit, then stick in spuds and carrots, loads of oxo cubes, salt and pepper and top it up with water. Cook it for hours, add some more spuds, cook it for hours then serve it.

Usually quite thick as most of the spuds have disintegrated.

Very tasty with brown sauce, red cabbage and bread.
Legacy fan

Offline EveryOtherSaturday

• Main Stander
« Reply #58 on: November 9, 2009, 04:00:18 pm »
Mince?

Corned Beef?

Barley?

Why don't you just throw a fucking Sayers' pastie in it you gang of dirty bastards! Stewing steak is the only meat you can use or it's not fucking Scouse. Call it whatever the fuck you want except Scouse. And anyway, if your bird is a Manc, just fuck her off on general fucking principles.   :D

totally agree, kick her head in as well for good measure

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #59 on: November 9, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »
Well I'm going home for my scouse tonight! The meat is what was left on the leg of lamb after dinner yesterday, thrown in (with the bone) with oxo's, water, potatoes, carrots and some onions. Then left in the pressure cooker to simmer away 'til ready!

I was under the impression though that it was meant to be pretty much whatever meat was left on a Monday after the Sunday dinner, as it was a cheap meal. Hence it was normally lamb, as it's not the nicest meat to eat when cold in comparison to beef, and it was thrown into a pan with the other bits and just left.
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #60 on: November 9, 2009, 04:17:14 pm »
My mum makes the best scouse. She puts dumplings in too :P

Offline EveryOtherSaturday

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
My mum makes the best scouse, had it tonight with a load of beetroot and loadsa bread and butter! Dumplings are horrible, how can you ruin a pan of scouse with them, disgusting.

Offline Rafas_Barmy_Army

• Legacy Fan
  • Its rainin sideways.
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 10:17:55 pm »
had the first bowl of scouse for ages tonight and it was amazing!
dead thick, piping hot and a load of lea & perrins :)
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Offline Scarlet

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »
I'm with Chopper on this one. 

Me Nan taught me how to make Scouse at an early age and the first thing she told me was that the difference between it, and stews, was the amount of potatoes used.  She used to use a full 5lb bag of spuds,  half of them cut small so they'd disintegrate. 

Her basic Scouse was

Stewing steak (scrag end of lamb, or no meat, could be used depending on finances)
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Oxo's

After that you could add anything you chose as it's the amount of potatoes that makes it Scouse. 

I strayed from her recipe slightly over the years by boiling the bigger potatoes for 5 minutes, before straining and then adding them to the full body of the Scouse, thereby removing some of the starch which can tend to drown out the oxoey taste sometimes.

Offline NineTails20

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »
Have been thinking about making a big pot of Scouse lately, and I was just wondering; if you make it in a slow cooker, how long should you leave it in there for, and on what temperature? And how many Oxo's should I use?
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:02 am »
How do you make a Swiss roll?

Ask Joey Jones.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 11:29:43 am »
no one made an evertonians taste bitter joke :(

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
Told the potential missus I'd make her Scouse one day. I can't even cook a fucking sausage roll. Shit.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2010, 11:42:42 am »

Yeah with a crust on top.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
Boil and salt some water.
Chuck in some chopped meat
Chuck in some chopped onions and carrots
Peel and chop bag of old potatoes
Keeping adding spuds bit by bit
Simmer until all potatoes have dropped (gone mushy)
Scouse is ready
Oxo cubes are not nessecary if cooked properly.

BTW the smaller you chop the ingredients the better.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »
Told the potential missus I'd make her Scouse one day. I can't even cook a fucking sausage roll. Shit.

absolutely piece of piss mate, it practically cooks itself.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2010, 01:36:03 pm »
absolutely piece of piss mate, it practically cooks itself.

The sausage roll? I know that, stick it in the oven, but what about the Scouse??

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2010, 01:40:40 pm »
The sausage roll? I know that, stick it in the oven, but what about the Scouse??

I'm so glad you didn't say microwave.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 02:01:49 pm »

Just make sure she's busy the day you're making it ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:03:56 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline NineTails20

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 03:18:56 pm »
Thanks for the pointers, will attempt to make a pot of Scouse during the week!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 06:53:12 pm »
In Wales we call it Cawl. My mother in law makes it but they like it quite thin so when they bring the pan down to us we throw in a load of gravy granules to thicken it up....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #77 on: April 5, 2010, 12:29:36 pm »
I'm getting a big pan of this on today and I was telling a colleague about it. She's a North Walian- proper Gog- and she said she'd never heard of 'scouse' as a dish so I was describing the ingredients etc and she suddently said, 'That sounds just like Lobskause. We had it all the time at home.'

I didn't know it was still known by its original name, and so popular, in North Wales (Anglesey I think she's from?) You live, you learn...

Offline harmar

• Red Red Wine....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 5, 2010, 12:53:47 pm »
That's Irish Stew, sorry but it is. ;D
"To be prepared is half the victory"   Miguel Cervantes

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #79 on: April 5, 2010, 02:51:29 pm »
Stew, scouse, lobskauce, whatever its called, who cares? ;D
Everytime this thread gets bumped I end up making some
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.