Author Topic: Exeter City 0-1 Liverpool: Half time....  (Read 75157 times)

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Exeter City vs Liverpool; Carling Cup 2nd round; Pre Match discussion.
« Reply #400 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:51 pm »
Don't know about any of the others but i know for certain, Joe Cole and N'Gog haven't travelled with the rest of the squad. Would take that as they are both on the verge of leaving, as i would have thought players would have been used at some stage in the game tomorrow.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: August 23, 2011, 10:00:25 pm »
I have a hunch that since we plan to take this competition more seriously than years past, we are going to see senior players involved who have played these kinds of games in the past or for their previous clubs where the games weren't considered as much of a step-down as it seems to be in Liverpool. I am basically thinking of players like Carroll, Adam, Henderson and Carragher who might feature in some sort of capacity.

Just a quick dip into FM related scenarios but a midfield trio of Spearing-Meireles-Adam with Coady/Shelvey on the bench would be quite tasty and would clearly signal our intentions for this game and the Carling Cup in general.

We should take it seriously and I think we will. With the squad we have, we must play fairly high profile players. We could rest the entire team from the Arsenal game and still field

Doni - Johnson, Wilson, Skrtel, Aurelio - Cole, Spearing, Poulsen, Aquilani, Maxi - Ngog.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: August 23, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »
We should take it seriously and I think we will. With the squad we have, we must play fairly high profile players. We could rest the entire team from the Arsenal game and still field

Doni - Johnson, Wilson, Skrtel, Aurelio - Cole, Spearing, Poulsen, Aquilani, Maxi - Ngog.

I agree with you but my only point of contention would be finding the balance to field youth as well. Progression of youth has gained much more importance recently and if we look at the competitions we are going to be active in this year, Carling Cup probably presents our best bet for youngsters to develop and get exposure in.

Flanagan and Robinson are relatively easier selections to make as they've both vindicated themselves superbly against sterner opposition. We really don't have anyone in contention in the striking department from the academy at this moment of time. In midfield, we'll have Coady, Shelvey and maybe Sterling (?) in contention. Spearing is well established in the first team squad for me so I won't include him. If we give good minutes to one of the three and decent minutes to anyone else, I think that's a great balance to have.

I think it would be great if we could see:

Doni - Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Robinson - Spearing, Meireles, Adam/Shelvey/Coady - Maxi, Cole, Carroll.

Actually, I'd be fucking ecstatic to see any team out there. I am very easily impressed.

Offline ScouserMichael

• Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King!
« Reply #403 on: August 23, 2011, 10:34:28 pm »
Hope to see this tommorow

Doni

Flanagan    Wilson   Skrtel    Robinson

Spearing  Shelvey

Henderson     Meireles        Rodriguez

Kuyt

Subs:

Jones
Carragher
Wisdom
Coady
Adam
Sterling
Carroll
http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/  -  Justice for the 96!

Proud Member of Spirit of Shankly
http://www.spiritofshankly.com/

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »
I agree with you but my only point of contention would be finding the balance to field youth as well. Progression of youth has gained much more importance recently and if we look at the competitions we are going to be active in this year, Carling Cup probably presents our best bet for youngsters to develop and get exposure in.

Flanagan and Robinson are relatively easier selections to make as they've both vindicated themselves superbly against sterner opposition. We really don't have anyone in contention in the striking department from the academy at this moment of time. In midfield, we'll have Coady, Shelvey and maybe Sterling (?) in contention. Spearing is well established in the first team squad for me so I won't include him. If we give good minutes to one of the three and decent minutes to anyone else, I think that's a great balance to have.

I think it would be great if we could see:

Doni - Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Robinson - Spearing, Meireles, Adam/Shelvey/Coady - Maxi, Cole, Carroll.

Actually, I'd be fucking ecstatic to see any team out there. I am very easily impressed.

Wouldn't mind that team of yours. Would be Flanagan and Robinson for the youth roles, surrounded by more experienced players. That's how they'd learn the most and we'd still field a good, strong side.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »
Assuming that Poulsen, if he's moved on, will not be playing in England, I reckon he may feature tomorrow.

There's talk of Degen and/or Joe Cole to QPR. Therefore, in order not to cup-tie them, I doubt they'll feature.

Same goes for Ngog.

So, Spearing - Poulsen as the 2 CMs? Oh boy, that looks exciting, doesn't it? I'd rather have Spearing-Coady, to be honest.
You could have a point actually.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:34 pm »
Whatever 11 Dalglish goes with, the results at Shrewsbury, QPR and Norwich tonight should serve as a stark warning that we can't treat Exeter lightly. If the attitude is not spot on we'll be in for a nasty surprise.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: August 23, 2011, 11:36:57 pm »
Commentary for this match is on radio five live sports extra

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #408 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:59 pm »
Don't know about any of the others but i know for certain, Joe Cole and Ngog haven't travelled with the rest of the squad. Would take that as they are both on the verge of leaving, as i would have thought players would have been used at some stage in the game tomorrow.

Interesting, maybe they will be moving on then,
YNWA

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2011, 12:23:09 am »
Anyone know when the team are travelling down and who is in it

Someone on an Exeter board claims to have seen the lads getting off the coach at Woodbury Park.

'Just got back from Woodbury Park after me weekly 18 holes ( crap as usual , clubs for sale )saw Kenny and the boys getting off the coach , i can confirm that Carra, Suarez, Carroll, Adam , Henderson , Reina, Kuyt , Skrtl Enrique all got off the coach with a sprinkling of kids , squad players. Looks like a pretty strong line up'

Pinch of salt and all that.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:31 am »
According to the Guardian Sterling might be starting, but most probably bollocks. He'll probably still get minutes though.
Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:52 am »
According to the Guardian Sterling might be starting, but most probably bollocks. He'll probably still get minutes though.

Team won't have even been picked yet mate, not officially anyway.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:08 am »
If anyone wants to go to this then I suggest goin' to the ticket exchange thread, especially if your from Liverpool and you an your mate wanna go, some fella (forgot his username) got 2 tickets and 2 places on the coach just incase people don't venture into the ticket exchange thread too often, gutted I can't go :(

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #413 on: August 24, 2011, 12:55:56 am »
Let's twat these...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #414 on: August 24, 2011, 04:10:18 am »

Doni

Spearing  Shelvey

Kuyt

Subs:

Jones
Carragher
Wisdom
Coady
Adam
Sterling
Carroll

I'd take that and a win with a clean sheet. I'd much prefer the key first-team players were fresh for the league game against Bolton.  Additionally, I would want to rest players like Suarez to avoid some shithouse League 1 player trying to make a name for himself by going out an injuring a key player. Basically think we could win this game with a mix of youth (Robinson, Shelvey) squad players (Doni, Spearing) and first-teamers needing match fitness (Meireles, Maxi)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #415 on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:32 am »
I'd take that and a win with a clean sheet. I'd much prefer the key first-team players were fresh for the league game against Bolton. 

Bolton are playing tonight too, and they might have a stronger team out than us.
YWNA

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #416 on: August 24, 2011, 05:22:35 am »
I'm just setting off now to Exeter, get there for 1pm..

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
« Reply #417 on: August 24, 2011, 05:51:06 am »
Bolton are playing tonight too, and they might have a stronger team out than us.
Ta mate
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 24, 2011, 05:59:05 am »
I'm just setting off now to Exeter, get there for 1pm..

love your work, exeterllent stuff...

Offline nick-nova

• uckwit.
  • Main Stander
  • L.F.C. Down Under
« Reply #419 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:02 am »
Would anyone know of a reliable online link for this match? I'm from Sydney and don't get Sky Sports so anything would be great or else I'll try my luck before k.o. searching for one. Thanks in advance.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #420 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:06 am »
If anyone wants to go to this then I suggest goin' to the ticket exchange thread, especially if your from Liverpool and you an your mate wanna go, some fella (forgot his username) got 2 tickets and 2 places on the coach just incase people don't venture into the ticket exchange thread too often, gutted I can't go :(
Those tickets aren't available any more. The guy just hasn't updated it
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #421 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:08 am »
Let's fucking twat these pony shagging bastards, etc. ;D

Offline TimHocks

• Anny Roader
  • Wish I hadn't chosen TimHocks as my username.
« Reply #422 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:38 am »
I hope we take the Carling Cup seriously this year.  It is a good chance of winning a trophy, even if it is devalued nowadays.  It will bring a trophy winning mentality to this team.

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #423 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:02 am »
League Cup and FA cup please...second place in league too....

small humble wishes.
YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:39 am »
Got to go for this and make sure we progress.

Imagine the hysteria if we fuck up tonight, plus we'll be down to just 2 trophies to go for by August (or maybe just one in some peoples eyes!)

A trophy is a trophy, I'm afraid we can't be too choosy these days, so lets give the League Cup our best shot starting with taking this lot to the cleaners tonight.

3 or 4-0 to us.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #425 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:04 am »
Got to go for this and make sure we progress.

Imagine the hysteria if we fuck up tonight, plus we'll be down to just 2 trophies to go for by August (or maybe just one in some peoples eyes!)

A trophy is a trophy, I'm afraid we can't be too choosy these days, so lets give the League Cup our best shot starting with taking this lot to the cleaners tonight.

3 or 4-0 to us.

Too choosy?

I would expect Liverpool FC to 'choose' to attempt to win the League Cup regardless of other competitions on offer.

I can accept that other teams football 'fans' are arseholes though.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline roughandREDy

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:10 am »
League Cup and FA cup please...second place in league too....

small humble wishes.

Second place in the league - you're being a bit negative don't you think.  ;)

Offline caze

• Kopite
« Reply #427 on: August 24, 2011, 09:43:44 am »
is myp2p.eu down for anybody?
they lost their domain name, they're now at: http://www.wiziwig.eu/

Edit: apparently that's down at the moment, but should be working later: see http://forum.wiziwig.eu/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:45:36 am by caze »

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #428 on: August 24, 2011, 09:49:41 am »

Doni

Spearing  Shelvey

Kuyt

Subs:

Jones
Carragher
Wisdom
Coady
Adam
Sterling
Carroll

Our team has a bit of problem gel-ing  together.  we should not put in any person we have intention to sell even as shopfront (season has started).  I rather that we play those reserves who are likely to be on the bench this year with a few senior first team players who can let the team hold its shape and not panic when things not not going smoothly.  Of course, if we intend to sell Insua/poulsen etc, they should not play.

Glen should play if he recovered from injury and need match fitess.  Flanno or Robinson should get 65 min and Glen the rest.
I would take out Meireles and start Sterling (Guardian says Kenny hinted that he may play Sterling) at right wing - Maxi can play support striker/Advanced Midfield. Meireles is rated one of our fittest, he just needs Kenny to give him his starts and not match fitness. For this game, he can be a game changer if we are trailing or heading for a draw after 70mins.  He can come in for Sterling and Kut/Maxi and Meireles can play their triangles to break down Exeter.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #429 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:06 am »
Think we'll give this a good go this year. Kenny has sent a strong squad down, according to The Echo. He wants number 5.

Offline chappers85

• Kemlynite
  • LFC is my religion
« Reply #430 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:14 am »
Whats the position with Aurelio, is he fit? (more than likely not)

Would be surprised if Ngog plays considering he may well be off to Bolton and as long as Poulsen doesn't play I'll be happy

Offline StevieSuarezJoe

• Anny Roader
  • I Hate you because I loved you so much
« Reply #431 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:28 am »
Andy Carroll would be my first name on the team sheet for todays match, give the lad some confidence.
Proud Melbourne Red

Offline Rikz

• If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #432 on: August 24, 2011, 10:31:32 am »
they lost their domain name, they're now at: http://www.wiziwig.eu/

Edit: apparently that's down at the moment, but should be working later: see http://forum.wiziwig.eu/

Think its changed from that too... http://myp2p.bz/  :)
PSN-r1kz

Offline Scott0908

• Kopite
« Reply #433 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:58 am »
if we lose i will dread going to work tomorrow, full of mancs :o

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:01 am »
Really hope Kenny plays a strong team! Watching the premier league teams last night making 11 changes and get hammered i really don't want that to happen to us. I don't care if other clubs don't take it seriously or the stadiums aren't full, getting knocked out by lower league cannon fodder is not acceptable!
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #435 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46:40 am »
So on some knowledge point of view, Can any locals or the old fans throw some light on Exeter. How good are they? Did they ever have a period of glory....any history between us and them....etc etc...?
YNWA

Offline Sean.

• Main Stander
« Reply #436 on: August 24, 2011, 10:49:53 am »
I'd say players who shouldn't play: Reina, Kelly, Agger, Lucas and Enrique can be replaced with Doni, Skrtel, Spearing and Aurelio/Robinson.

Players who need fitness: Skrtel, Meireles, Suarez, Johnson

Players who need gametime/confidence: Flanagan, Robinson, Shelvey, Henderson

So I can see the team being made up of that lot giving something like:

Doni

Flanagan     Carragher    Skrtel    Robinson/Aurelio

Spearing    Shelvey

Henderson   Meireles    Maxi

Kuyt

With the likes of Glen and Suarez to come on later in the game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:10:39 am by Sean. »

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:22 am »
Kenny Dalglish admits our premature exit from last season's Carling Cup will be in his mind when selecting a side to face Exeter on Wednesday night.
Most Recent News

while guarding against any repeat of our penalty shoot-out exit to League Two strugglers Northampton in last year's third round.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We had a bad result last year against Northampton at home, and we'll do our best to avoid another bad result. We want to do the very best we can in this competition and although there will be some changes in the personnel we put out, the attitude should be exactly the same as it was on Saturday at the Emirates.

"We'll give people an opportunity to play. The training has been superb, as has their attitude and commitment, so they deserve a game.

"But it's not a game we just want to go through the motions for and fulfil our obligations in playing the fixture - we want to make sure we have a chance. We're not getting them (other players) involved because we're undermining the competition or we're undermining the football club at Exeter."

Paul Tisdale's side beat Yeovil 2-0 to progress to the second round but have lost their last three League One outings.

Last time they faced Liverpool in this competition it ended 11-0 on aggregate - with Dalglish scoring in both legs.

But the gaffer added: "You totally respect any team you're going to play. We've put as much effort into our preparation for this game as we did for Arsenal on Saturday.

"Exeter haven't had too much good luck, but they've played quite well - they've just not had any breaks at the right time. They had a difficult game on Saturday at Preston when they had a guy sent off after 20 minutes, but they only lost 1-0 and hit the bar in the second half.

"It's going to be difficult, but in the way we're going to approach the game we'll have no excuse for a lack of preparation."

Click on the play button below to watch our exclusive chat with the boss

Spirits are high among players and staff after our first away win at Arsenal in 11 years at the weekend, but Dalglish isn't getting carried away - nor is he prepared to countenance talk of a possible Wembley final in the New Year.

"We'll just take our time," he said. "If we have any designs on getting anywhere, then we've just got to take our time and be responsible.

"This time last year there was a lot of disappointment because the club hadn't started so well which fortunately we've changed a little bit - but let's not get carried away or be running before we can walk. Let's just take our time.

"The boys were brilliant at Arsenal on Saturday, but we're not going to get carried away with one result - and neither should anybody."

Dalglish, who has a full squad to chose from bar the injured Glen Johnson and Steven Gerrard, also had a few words to say about the transfer of Sotirios Kyrgiakos to Wolfsburg, which was confirmed by Liverpoolfc.tv on Monday night.

He said: "It's fantastic for Soto. It prolongs his career in football.

"He was good to have in and around the club and he served us well. We wish him luck and hope he comes back to pick up his boots or something and just to say 'cheerio'. He was a popular guy here and I wish him all the best at Wolfsburg."

Offline WheelerLFC

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers Liverpool are on our way to glory!
« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2011, 10:51:30 am »
Would anyone know of a reliable online link for this match? I'm from Sydney and don't get Sky Sports so anything would be great or else I'll try my luck before k.o. searching for one. Thanks in advance.

www.vipstand.net

you dont have to downlaond any software to watch and has never let me down yet
'Take that poof bandage off, and what do you mean YOUR knee, it's LIVERPOOL'S knee!' - Bill Shankly

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58:00 am »
Pepe
Aurelio Coates Carraninho Enrique
Lucas
Meireles Suso
Silva ----------------- Maxi
Suarez

ĦArriba! ĦArriba! ĦEpaĦ ĦEpa! ĦEpa! Yeehaw