Author Topic: The pain of belief  (Read 8863 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The pain of belief
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:55:39 am »
Many times have I sat there, my thumbs twiddling together as I ponder the next ferocious sentence ready to be spilled onto the pixellated ink of a new post on these boards, with the sole intention of attacking the negativity and doubt that has surrounded our once great club for the past 4-5 years.

Many times have I gazed longingly at the golden sky of which is sung amidst our club anthem and pondered if it is indeed the sun rising, or the flames of hell causing the clouds to lighten with more pain and long arduous roads ready to spout from the heavens and rain down, burning what we could once call a club to the ground, leaving the peaces of our name in the ground.

Throughout the last 2 seasons, one thing I've consistently spouted is the need for calm and it's inseperable partner, patience, once again will I spout the need for this, as the last day and a half or so has seen these boards riddled with so much negativity, it is difficult to understand the need to carry on supporting the club, it is difficult to see the positive aspects of what we are when the negative aspects are so dominant at the forefront of each discussion.

West Bromwich Albion, a team who has beaten us 3 out of the previous 4 meetings, was hounded on in the build up as an easy away tie, a game which we should apparently run away with, and get the ever important first set of 3 points on the long list of football institutions we have come to know as the premier league table, however what followed during the game, some would have you believe, was the equivalent of falling asleep, having Freddy Kreuger invade your dreams, only for you to wake and find Jason Voorhee's standing above you with his trusted machette raised above his hockey masked face. It was the equivalent of a death, with negativity dominating every letter typed, and positivity washed away in a sea of blood that was left by the previous two fictional characters.

However, on that pitch, what was shown was the complete opposite to the above, what was shown was a team in transition (yet again I hear you cry,) a manager that, although young and inexperienced, has attempted to get his style and his philosophy over to the players and was obvious in some sections of the 90 minutes to have been followed to the tiniest detail.

What was seen (for the first half atleast,) was this new ability in each of our players, one which allowed them to press together as a unit, an ability which not only attempted to goade the opposition into mistakes, but also to goade them into giving us enough space to have an attempt at goal (of which there were more than few.)

What was seen (again, for the first half atleast,) was players bedding into a new system, one which is completely alien to them, one which allows them to express themselves to the best of their abilites, one with few, but strict, rulings that should allow all of the players to release the shackles that seemed to have been attached to their ankles for longer than more than a season.

These shackles will take time to fall, with the locks being prised open by the new master locksmith, Brendan Rodgers and his team of tacticious coaches who will undoubtedly (in my eyes,) get us back on the road to recovery, however long it will be.

Belief in a system, in a new coach, in players, new and old, and most importantly, in the club as a whole, comes with some pains, it comes with defeats and a sense of "Here we go again." It comes with that nagging doubt that whatever glory we may have witnessed will fade into the history and not be seen for some time yet. The belief that you have as a Liverpool fan, is not one that will send you on a road of daisy chains and rainbows, it is one of war, of turmoil, of suffering, of anger, of hate but most of all, of pride, a pride that not only comes when you see the Liverbird donned on the chest of the redmen, but a pride that comes with knowing that each day when you wake up, you have a club that feels more like a family, a pride that sets you apart from those who see the game as a money making opportunity.

Let the other clubs say we live in the past, let them call us arrogant, let them goade us and laugh at our recent failings, for one thing is for certain, our past may be behind us, but our history is still being written. Keep the belief and back those that are employed by this family, your family, your football club. Ride out the pain that the belief brings and keep your head held high as I think the heavens have began to open, and I see the name of our club being cleaned and rejoined under a sky of smiling legends and of a battling pheonix.

We'll get back to who we once were, and when we do, it'll be through the power of belief, of patience and most importantly, the power of solidarity.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
Re: The pain of belief
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:36 am »
Good read J-Mc, absolutely agree with that, nice one mate.

Offline luckyme653

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop, Yes We Do !!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:27 am »
Good Post J-Mc :wave
Float like a butterfly,
Sting like a bee !!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:24 am »
Tacticious isn't even a real word you fucking blert. Aside from that, nice post J. I hope people get the spirit you intend it with, but I'll bet a pound to a penny, one of our players or the owners will get slated before page 2.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:00:29 am »
Nice one J-Mc.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline JoshDTS

• Boys Pen
    • JoshKraus.org
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:46:33 am »
Great post, sums up my thoughts precisely. We need to realize some of these boys are having to unlearn things that have been pounded into their head since they were schoolboys, it was never going to happen overnight.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:58:48 am »
Thank you for that, very eloquently worded and something that I'm glad has been said.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:00:01 am »
the pain might just last and hurt even greater in the next 3 league games. let's be prepared.

Offline iffy64

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 05:00:47 am »
Nice one.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 05:50:36 am »
Many times have I sat there, my thumbs twiddling together as I ponder the next ferocious sentence ready to be spilled onto the pixellated ink of a new post on these boards, with the sole intention of attacking the negativity and doubt that has surrounded our once great club for the past 4-5 years.

Many times have I gazed longingly at the golden sky of which is sung amidst our club anthem and pondered if it is indeed the sun rising, or the flames of hell causing the clouds to lighten with more pain and long arduous roads ready to spout from the heavens and rain down, burning what we could once call a club to the ground, leaving the peaces of our name in the ground.

Throughout the last 2 seasons, one thing I've consistently spouted is the need for calm and it's inseperable partner, patience, once again will I spout the need for this, as the last day and a half or so has seen these boards riddled with so much negativity, it is difficult to understand the need to carry on supporting the club, it is difficult to see the positive aspects of what we are when the negative aspects are so dominant at the forefront of each discussion.

West Bromwich Albion, a team who has beaten us 3 out of the previous 4 meetings, was hounded on in the build up as an easy away tie, a game which we should apparently run away with, and get the ever important first set of 3 points on the long list of football institutions we have come to know as the premier league table, however what followed during the game, some would have you believe, was the equivalent of falling asleep, having Freddy Kreuger invade your dreams, only for you to wake and find Jason Voorhee's standing above you with his trusted machette raised above his hockey masked face. It was the equivalent of a death, with negativity dominating every letter typed, and positivity washed away in a sea of blood that was left by the previous two fictional characters.

However, on that pitch, what was shown was the complete opposite to the above, what was shown was a team in transition (yet again I hear you cry,) a manager that, although young and inexperienced, has attempted to get his style and his philosophy over to the players and was obvious in some sections of the 90 minutes to have been followed to the tiniest detail.

What was seen (for the first half atleast,) was this new ability in each of our players, one which allowed them to press together as a unit, an ability which not only attempted to goade the opposition into mistakes, but also to goade them into giving us enough space to have an attempt at goal (of which there were more than few.)

What was seen (again, for the first half atleast,) was players bedding into a new system, one which is completely alien to them, one which allows them to express themselves to the best of their abilites, one with few, but strict, rulings that should allow all of the players to release the shackles that seemed to have been attached to their ankles for longer than more than a season.

These shackles will take time to fall, with the locks being prised open by the new master locksmith, Brendan Rodgers and his team of tacticious coaches who will undoubtedly (in my eyes,) get us back on the road to recovery, however long it will be.

Belief in a system, in a new coach, in players, new and old, and most importantly, in the club as a whole, comes with some pains, it comes with defeats and a sense of "Here we go again." It comes with that nagging doubt that whatever glory we may have witnessed will fade into the history and not be seen for some time yet. The belief that you have as a Liverpool fan, is not one that will send you on a road of daisy chains and rainbows, it is one of war, of turmoil, of suffering, of anger, of hate but most of all, of pride, a pride that not only comes when you see the Liverbird donned on the chest of the redmen, but a pride that comes with knowing that each day when you wake up, you have a club that feels more like a family, a pride that sets you apart from those who see the game as a money making opportunity.

Let the other clubs say we live in the past, let them call us arrogant, let them goade us and laugh at our recent failings, for one thing is for certain, our past may be behind us, but our history is still being written. Keep the belief and back those that are employed by this family, your family, your football club. Ride out the pain that the belief brings and keep your head held high as I think the heavens have began to open, and I see the name of our club being cleaned and rejoined under a sky of smiling legends and of a battling pheonix.

We'll get back to who we once were, and when we do, it'll be through the power of belief, of patience and most importantly, the power of solidarity.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Good read that mate.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:42 am »
the pain might just last and hurt even greater in the next 3 league games. let's be prepared.

We've been through worse before. We'll come out stronger, as always.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 05:54:00 am »
Nice post but not sure if it provides any relief to the long suffering pain as a Liverpool supporter. Rafa, in the past decade, was still the best manager who got us closest to the Holy Grail. If not for the royal ownership fuck up, he'd still be here and quite possibly returning us to the former glory. When Kenny took over from Roy, there was plenty of optimism. Then in the second season, everything just bombed out. The brain is telling me Rodgers' footballing philosophy is the right one and we should be patient with him but the story of the heart is a different matter. All I hope for is for the team to be competitive in the next 3 matches (really matches from hell considering the context) and not the capitulation we saw at West Brom.

Offline kazzzz

• Kemlynite
  • LFC is in my blood!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:12:38 am »
Great post! On a positive note to coincide with what you've stated. Atleast Rodgers has a better idea of what he's got on his plate now.
Liverpool is different than any team from any American sport. You're not just a fan who's rooting for your team to prevail and win the big trophy. It's absolutely in your blood, effecting you nonstop, you want nothing but the best for your Liverpool family. You want to share in the struggles and the triumph just as a family would.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:04 am »
Nice read but to be honest if Lucas was half decent we would have won the game at the weekend. He was appalling. Watching his run inside their LB to then give the ball away time and time again was doing my head in. Reina should have had a better game also , looks like he couldnt catch crabs in a whorehouse. That ok for ya Macca, its still page one though.

Honestly it was a good read J. Cheers.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline TXRed

• Anny Roader
  • Just a Bible-thumpin' Liverpool-lovin' Yank
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:57 am »
Patience, perseverance, and trust is the name of the game, folks. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It honestly could be worse, and has been worse very recently. Onwards and upwards, one step at a time. YNWA

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:19 am »
I went away for the weekend...Friday to Sunday.....didnt see, hear or even know the result until Saturday night....ignorance in this instance did turn out to be bliss....BUT ffs people its one fuckin game - ONE game......seriously, reading some of the posts on here I was thinking Id been awol for 3 months rather than three days......J-Mcs post, as eloquent and wistful though it is, reads like an elegy to Rodgers first season rather than his first 90 Premier league minutes in the LFC dugout.

I know the pace of life is dizzying these days - Twitter wears the Internet's Yellow jersey and we all struggle breathlessly to keep apace, ...but jeez everyone, a bit of perspective please.......turn the internet off for a bit......better still go away for 3 days......you'll see how ridiculously hysterical the threads are when you get back
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Dav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:40 am »
Good read, thanks for posting it :thumbup

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 09:48:59 am »
Love these philosophical posts.  :D

As Florence Welch sings "It's always darkest before the dawn"

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:01 am »
Love these philosophical posts.  :D

As Florence Welch sings "It's always darkest before the dawn"
I thought that was Bob Dylan.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 10:15:34 am »
I believe we can win every game we play. I believe we can win every trophy we play for. I believe we can beat any team put in front of us. I won't change that, but I won't throw wobblers either when it doesn't happen. Nothing wrong with a bit of faith. Some of our players could do with an injection of it. The problem is not belief. The problem is people spitting the dummy when their own ridiculous demands and expectations aren't met.  They also have incredibly short memories.

We were winning trophies and pressing for the league a couple of years back. It wasn't good enough for some people. The funniest one I ever heard... "Rafa's the worst manager we've ever had." This came from a lifelong match going Scouse Red, of near 70 years of age. The man has not missed a home game since we were in the old 2nd division and only recently stopped going the aways due to his age and health. But this was a dead common one... "Rafa's taking the club backwards." Fuckinell, memories of gold fish, indeed. But they got their way.

They acted like Kenny had won us our first trophy in 50 years, and then agreed with FSG that the cups didn't matter. Now they are banging on about how Kenny set us back at least 5 years by sponking gazzilions of dollars on shite. Brendan's being questioned after one game.

Patience, Loyalty, Faith, Belief... that's a bit hopeful. A bit of common sense, an attention span and a memory longer than the average gnat's would do for me.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 10:15:40 am »
I thought that was Bob Dylan.

Nah, Harvey Dent mate.
No time for caution.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:35 am »
Nah, Harvey Dent mate.
Who'd he play for?

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:34 am »
a good post for sure.

only thing i struggle to get my head around is this 'in transition' style mindset. a number of clubs over the years, including those hateable big teams, have had to adapt to new managers and playing styles, we are not unique. yet in most cases they do come good because they have good players. just seems to me that a lot of the anger and bile that is spewed across these pages at times is due to frustration that our lads cannot get a grip, especially against lesser fancied teams like wba.

while the manager does have a lot of influence on how we play, it is still the responsability of the players to make the tactics work. sometimes, in these past few seasons, we have seen brilliance but quite often when we go 1 nil down the players head drop and we can almost predict what happens next. i find it worrying that none of our recent managers have been able to sort this out, even the king.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 10:38:50 am »
Belief in a system, in a new coach, in players, new and old, and most importantly, in the club as a whole, .....
Good post mate, not only is the system new, the team is incomplete, there'll be a couple of squad additions - perhaps even a team starter before the end of August. That means the bedding in period may take a few weeks yet. As I said yesterday, we just need to wait for a great run to start during September and build from there.

During the course of this season we'll rue the loss of three points but we won't be arsed about the manner of the defeat.

Offline driftinwest

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:25 am »

Patience, Loyalty, Faith, Belief... that's a bit hopeful. A bit of common sense, an attention span and a memory longer than the average gnat's would do for me.

And do for me to FS.  I know you'll remember August 75 away to QPR and a 2-0 defeat at the start of Bob Paisleys 2nd season in charge after a trophy-less first year, come May of 76 and a scouse invasion of Wolverhampton, and that first game defeat was a distant bad memory as we ended season as champions and UEFA cup winners.  Not saying that's going to happen this time round, but there where questions around the pubs about the team back then that where answered in style on the pitch come the end of that season.  So lets have a bit of patient, loyalty,faith, and belief in Brendan Rodgers and our team.
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline WaltonRed

• Oct 4th: Don't be stupid there are no buyers. Oct 6th: These buyers. I don't like them. Oct 8th: ???
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:30 am »
by the new master locksmith, Brendan Rodgers and his team of tacticious coaches who will undoubtedly (in my eyes,) get us back on the road to recovery

Undoubtedly?  Im intrigued why you think its beyond all doubt that Rodgers will succeed.

its certainly possible that he can but to say it will undoubtedly happen is as ridiculous as those calling for his head after one game (though I dont actualy think they exist).

The facts are:  he is a young, relatively untried manger who has been sacked from one job and been successful at another (it terms of outperforming expectations).  There is nothing to suggest he has the ability to perform the kind of job Liverpool need, and nothing to suggest he will fail either.

Its a massive gamble which might pay off and which might fail spectacularly - a gamble which has been exacerbated by giving him full control.  But to call him a "master locksmith" or to say he will "undoubtedly" is just as ridiculous as to say he will definitely fail.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 10:44:27 am »
Really good posts J-Mc and Fat Scouser

We should always believe we're going to win. It's half the battle. Why would anyone want to go to the match/watch online or on tv without that resounding belief?

We've had more upheavals and transitions than desired. Nothing anyone can do to change that. Steadying the ship is extremely important and the nucleus to do that is there. We had to do the same under Rafa. Let no-one kid themselves about that. We were just superbly fortunate that he sharpened us faster with Alonso/Garcia etc in his first season. Brendan may just achieve that with Allen... too soon to tell... but a mindset across the board that starts with both players and fans alike is a must.

Just like Kenny said if we all stick together... well you know the rest  :D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
Who'd he play for?

Gotham City Rangers
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:58:34 am »
And do for me to FS.  I know you'll remember August 75 away to QPR and a 2-0 defeat at the start of Bob Paisleys 2nd season in charge after a trophy-less first year, come May of 76 and a scouse invasion of Wolverhampton, and that first game defeat was a distant bad memory as we ended season as champions and UEFA cup winners.  Not saying that's going to happen this time round, but there where questions around the pubs about the team back then that where answered in style on the pitch come the end of that season.  So lets have a bit of patient, loyalty,faith, and belief in Brendan Rodgers and our team.
Times have changed. It's all about instant gratification and if they don't get what they want, when they want it, exactly how they want... oh dear. It's like telling me 2 year old grandson he can't run across the motorway, holding scissors and a pan of scalding water. There's just no explaining to them. They want it all and they want it now.

You can already see the expectation and demands heaped on Rogers. It won't take much to turn it into calls for his head. Look in the thread about the new lad, Assaidi, he's already expected to be John Barnes and more. How long before he's shite?

This is the New Liverpool and the New Liverpool Way. I preferred the old one meself.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:00 am »
Gotham City Rangers
Oh that's right. I remember him now, always lost the coin toss.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
Times have changed. It's all about instant gratification and if they don't get what they want, when they want it, exactly how they want... oh dear. It's like telling me 2 year old grandson he can't run across the motorway, holding scissors and a pan of scalding water. There's just no explaining to them. They want it all and they want it now.

You can already see the expectation and demands heaped on Rogers. It won't take much to turn it into calls for his head. Look in the thread about the new lad, Assaidi, he's already expected to be John Barnes and more. How long before he's shite?

This is the New Liverpool and the New Liverpool Way. I preferred the old one meself.

This is what we can thank the oil barons and sheiks for bringing to the Premier League. People have seen the millions spent at smaller clubs like Chelsea and City and the instant success this brings and believe that us, as a much bigger club, must compete with them. No-one is prepared to allow a manager time to build a squad in his own vision.

If Ferguson's successor finishes in the same league positions as Ferguson did in his first few years would their fans back him or would he be straight out of the door? I think we all know the answer to that.

To the OP - great post. I have not lost any belief that this can still be a successful season for us. Taking everything into consideration we were well in the game against WBA until the sending off and should have gone into half-time in the league.

No-one like to lose, it screws up your whole weekend trying to avoid the newspapers, MOTD etc. I am hoping the City game will come at the right time for us as we always raise our game when we play the top teams.     
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:50 am »

True, but I keep thinking of when it all finally clicks for the squad- then and only then it will be something special. Those of you who have children remember how it was when they are learning to walk. That is what the squad is going through now. I am afraid there will be a few more falls before they learn to walk and finally to run.

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »
Enjoyed the post but I dont understand why everyone says we are in major transition or totally new system.Kenny tried to play pass and move -specially first half of season-but we couldnt capitalise on possesion/take chances.The first half on Saturday was a rerun of last year followed by no fighting spirit and lack of mental toughness-same as last year again.The new manager presumably will be judged on whether we make progress on the season overall -in the league primarily.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »
I was saying before the game on Saturday that I felt it may get worse before things get better - bearing in mind we've got tough fixtures over the next 4 games or so.

We've got a new manager trying to instill his vision about how he wants us to play the game.
There's a couple of new players already in the first team & there may be another couple of additions before the window closes. 
We'll continue to gel and improve as a unit although early results aren't necessarily going to reflect this.

I'm pretty optimistic that in a month or two we should see an improvement on the pitch and that the results will follow.
Not the first time we've had a shit start to the season.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 12:07:27 am »
All i'll say is alex ferguson is damn lucky he took over manchester utd in nov 1986 & not nov 2006, times have changed and patience simply does not exist these days, no way will the blerts give our manager time if we're not doing too well in 2 months time, it won't happen, JMc, your post is brilliant and spot on, i genuinley believe in Brendan Rodgers and realise his way of playing may take a while to implement, i fear there are too many out there though, who are too thick to understand.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:30 am »
Undoubtedly?  Im intrigued why you think its beyond all doubt that Rodgers will succeed.

its certainly possible that he can but to say it will undoubtedly happen is as ridiculous as those calling for his head after one game (though I dont actualy think they exist).

The facts are:  he is a young, relatively untried manger who has been sacked from one job and been successful at another (it terms of outperforming expectations).  There is nothing to suggest he has the ability to perform the kind of job Liverpool need, and nothing to suggest he will fail either.

Its a massive gamble which might pay off and which might fail spectacularly - a gamble which has been exacerbated by giving him full control.  But to call him a "master locksmith" or to say he will "undoubtedly" is just as ridiculous as to say he will definitely fail.

I have faith that he can atleast get us back on the road to recovery, Kenny came undeniably close to it with the inclusion of two cup finals into what was a torrid and soul destroying year for the club.

Kenny is indeed the legend we've all come to know, a man humble in his ways and one who knows when he isn't the right man for the job, and it's something that sets him above most current (and past,) managers and indeed men of this world.

Rodgers seems to have this same aura around him, although not, and probably never will be a legend of the stauts of Kenny, his thoughts seem to linger longer on the aspects and best wishes of the club and less on the aspects and best wishes of himself, he seems to be calm when ferocious, silent when shouting and seems to have a steady heart when those around him are pounding down the doors to take away his head.

I don't think he's one of the greatest managers at the present time, I don't think he's one of the greatest managers we'll come to know, however, what I do believe in, is that he has the clubs best interests at heart, and although our summer seems to be going by as quiet as a bitter in the gladys, he has brought in youth, a philosophy that should be integral to our club in the coming years as it once was and most importantly, a faint sense of stability that we've not felt for the better part of the last 4-5 years.

In my eyes, he will undoubtedly succeed in getting us back on the road to recovery, it does remain to be seen whether he is the man to deliver the title, however, I repeat what I said in the opening post. Belief is what will get us back to the perch we once called home, and belief in a system that Rodgers coincidentally employs and looks to drill into the 11 men on the pitch on game day gives me, personally, hope for the future.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:47:29 am by J-Mc- »

Offline lfcforlife

• Kemlynite
  • We've won it 5 times
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 01:14:09 am »
brilliant post mate my sentiments exactly  , the negativity makes me sick after our first game . BR needs time and im totally behind him and his ideas , all anyone needs to do is look at joe allen on sat he was easily the best player on the pitch and think POSITIVELY .

Offline polki

• Main Stander
  • Needs to bulk up
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 01:54:34 am »

There is a good point in there somewhereI think. Its just hidden in the midst of attempts to be poetic and over sentimental rambling that would make an emo teenage girl cringe.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 02:03:50 am »
Belief is indeed unbelievably painful at times. I actually think supporting Liverpool has to be one of the most painful and tiring clubs to support. I find it so much easier watching and supporting local teams. But Liverpool is constantly being treated as a commodity, kicked and prodded in the media, and being taken away from the supporters who love the club. I hate modern football, but love Liverpool.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:26 am »
There is a good point in there somewhereI think. Its just hidden in the midst of attempts to be poetic and over sentimental rambling that would make an emo teenage girl cringe.

Point of my, probably overly attempted poetic original post, is that if you have belief in a philosophy, belief in the club as a whole and show that belief from the stands, in the streets, in every waking breath you have, that we can get back to where we once have been.

You don't need to follow a party line and think everything is rosey, you don't even have to like the manager or half of the players, but put your heart into supporting the club, and you'll always believe that we're on the right track mate.