Author Topic: Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider  (Read 53094 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:48 am »
Aiming to distract from a long and boring business trip, there I was, against my better judgment, watching the final episode of Being:Liverpool.  And there it was, a realisation. About our so-called MD/CEO/whatever.

Now I've had my say about the Teflon-coated Ayre before, several times, from his time as Tom Hick's little bitch, to his past in Asia, long before he was seen off from his calamitous tenure at the mighty Huddersfield Town. No doubt Al(555) will be in this thread to clarify for anyone unaware.

As a middle-management merchandiser, and supply chain man, I'd have no problem with him, but in his current elevated role, so acutely described in a recent thread entitled "The Peter Principle", he is a liability.

I'm aware of how he claims to have magnanimously offered his resignation when FSG took over, but curiously re-applied for his old job simultaneously.

I'm aware of his self-aggrandizing when it comes to claiming credit for two massive sponsorship deals, when it was his interim predecessor and snake-faced c*nt Purslow, who wrapped up SC (who approached us) and his employers FSG who put together the Warrior deal.

I'm aware of how he spinelessly left a club legend like Kenny hung out to dry over Suarez-gate and then had the gall to administer a public bollocking to both men when ordered to by Henry & Werner.

A man who as MD, didn't even think to try and curb some of the excess instigated by Comolli, as always taking the path of least resistance.

A man who half-pissed, wasn't reticent about telling Liverpool fans in a Dublin pub that he "despised" Rafa when our former manager was in charge, cutting a swathe through Europe's finest. A man put in charge of drawing up a shortlist of candidates to replace Dalglish (a man he admitted he didn't feel able to question) who continued to serve a personal agenda by black-balling Benitez from a job that even his arch-nemesis Purslow admitted he was "a very strong candidate" for.

And that's even before we get to Being:Liverpool. Whatever your thoughts and opinions were on this TV series, there cannot be anyone who feels that Ayre comes out reputation unscathed. Leaving aside the MIDLIFE CRISIS he's clearly in the full throes of (look at me and my Harley), and obvious playing up for cameras, what struck me most was the deadline day debacle. In particular what it reinforced in terms of his attitude.

I watched him watching Sky Sports surrounded by his secretary and a couple of other random functionaries. Rodgers was on the sofa at one point but only briefly. And his phone call to Henry (?) explaining why nothing was happening. And it struck me. I don't think it's apathy per se, but it seeps from his every pore. This is a man on cruise control. A man who really doesn't have a care in the world. A man who sleeps soundly at night, no matter how ineffective and feckless he is.

And it brings to mind his real predecessor (Cecil aside), namely one Rick 'Coco' Parry. A man who was ridiculed for his neckwear. A man who was castigated for having a penchant for turning his phone off. A man who also liked the flash transport trappings of a fat salary (the R8 and infamous Ferrari). A man who "refused to play the numbers game". A man who, we can never forget, was primarily responsible for leading his thick as pigshit chairman into the arms of a pair of toxic tumours without doing even the most cursory amount of due diligence. Unforgiveable? Yes, probably.

But there's one thing Rick Parry had in spades that Ian Ayre doesn't. And no, I'm not even talking about Parry's stellar credentials as the first CE of the Premier League, or the fact he was known and respected in G14 and UEFA circles, although that's another black mark against Ayre. No, what I'm referring to is that whenever you saw Rick Parry, he looked unkempt and stressed. He was trying to do too much that's evident, and used to disappear to the golf course for some brief respite, but above all else, you could see, he CARED deeply about the club. Ayre? I'm not at all convinced. The financial rewards, the perks, the autocracy to run the shop in lieu of absentee owners, sure he 'cares'. But about the fabric of the club, our current state? I don't see it. And that's - as he keeps mentioning to some scepticism - as an erstwhile Kopite.

This is not a thread to whitewash Parry's numerous crimes, but rather to hold Ayre's abilities and conduct up to what was previously deemed unacceptable and ask the question, is he the right man to be at the helm of Liverpool FC? Why did FSG call off the search for a CEO when their first choice turned them down, and promote a 'yes man' (maybe answers the question itself) into the role?

Look at Man City. Ferran Soriano is a big hitter. A hugely respected man that oversaw Barcelona's complex financial and strategic resurgence. A man that wrote an insightful book ("Goal: The Ball Doesn't Go in By Chance") on how management ideas are implemented in European football. A man who, in his 5 years at Camp Nou, oversaw sponsorship deals with the likes of UNICEF (charitable donation more than sponsorship) and Qatar. And who alongside his recently-reunited colleague Txiki Begiristain, recruitment of extremely high-profile employees, both managerial and footballing. Not to mention his venture capital partnership based in Barcelona and Boston. And yet a man, I'm led to believe, we actually spurned for the role of CEO back in 2010 after our first choice (also a Spaniard) turned us down. The contrast with Ayre is stark to the point of being ridiculous.

So there you have it, it's not meant to be a character assassination as such, just a no-holds-barred assessment of the man currently in charge of everything off the field and, in the notable absence of a DOF, chiefly responsible for supporting Rodgers to improve things on the field. If the club is serious about building for the future, and regaining our place at the top table of European football, then we have to have the right people on board to deliver that. That is very evidently NOT Ian Ayre.

Naturally, I'd be interested in hearing any counter-opinions that support a 'steady ship' philosophy, pointing to his work with minor sponsors etc. and the benefits of him having a Scouse accent.

Edit: I've removed reference to things that haven't been backed with proof. We need proof.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:06:50 pm by royhendo »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Re: Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
Do you have any links for reading with regards to the stuff in the second paragraph?

Cheers.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
One thing Ian Ayre has done in his time here as MD is make Rick Parry look good. I thought it was impossible but good old Teflon Ayre has managed it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:34 am »
Do you have any links for reading with regards to the stuff in the second paragraph?

Cheers.

"...No doubt Al(555) will be in this thread to clarify for anyone unaware..." ;)

Sorry not being lazy, just don't have access to it all at the moment, and Al has both the zeal and encyclopaedic knowledge required so I'll leave it to him to reiterate accordingly.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:58 am »
"...No doubt Al(555) will be in this thread to clarify for anyone unaware..." ;)

Sorry not being lazy, just don't have access to it all at the moment, and Al has both the zeal and encyclopaedic knowledge required so I'll leave it to him to reiterate accordingly.

There's threads on the Huddersfield Town forum from a couple of years back about what a useless twat Ayre was there as MD.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:50 am »
Aren't the club looking for someone to look after the transfer side of things? (Least I hope so).

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:43 am »
Always wonder why he keeps his job in FSG's yearly staff overhaul. He is so clearly out of his depth.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:28 am »

I have no doubt he will!

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:58:57 am »
Well written OP Rossi.

I was watching Being Liverpool and observing Ayre's lackadaisical attitude when he was leaving his office (at what seemed an unduly early hour) and my first thought was that you would be pretty pissed if you were watching - (think you wrote a post about this at the time - Jesus I'm spending too much time on RAWK).

Agree with every word - I think Rodgers is a man to believe in, Ayre is a karaoke version of what he should be - insincere, insubstantial, lacking gravitas - rather like Comolli. I doubt it will be long before the owners bring in a figure to subvert and then replace him.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:02:41 am »
Maybe Ayre is not a Soriano, but I dig his hardass biker image.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
It's a major fault of FSG's tenure so far that we do not have big-hitter,savvy football people in the roles of CEO and DoF. Since they know so little about football,it's high time they appointed people who do.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:19:22 am »

Had a good look around (and revisited some memorable threads) but couldn't find any reference to this 'specific' thread...

Al(555)?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 11:33:00 am »
Well written OP Rossi.

I was watching Being Liverpool and observing Ayre's lackadaisical attitude when he was leaving his office (at what seemed an unduly early hour) and my first thought was that you would be pretty pissed if you were watching - (think you wrote a post about this at the time - Jesus I'm spending too much time on RAWK).

Agree with every word - I think Rodgers is a man to believe in, Ayre is a karaoke version of what he should be - insincere, insubstantial, lacking gravitas - rather like Comolli. I doubt it will be long before the owners bring in a figure to subvert and then replace him.

Ayre's basically an idiot who's way out of his depth, but what worries me is FSG's inability to employ proper staff. They let Comolli loose with all that money, most of which was effectively flushed down the bog, and then you've got all that stuff with Chang who's come in as PR man and already become the story within a few months.

What is it with them? Either they're easily bullshitted by people in interviews, or they just genuinely don't have a clue what they're doing.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 11:34:31 am »
Do we have any Football related people apart from the playing/coaching staff? I don't think so. I do feel it is weird
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
Do we have any Football related people apart from the playing/coaching staff? I don't think so. I do feel it is weird

No. FSG were going to appoint a DOF/Sporting Director to work with the new manager. Rodgers didn't want one, so Ayre's portfolio got expanded instead to take care of transfers as well.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
It's a major fault of FSG's tenure so far that we do not have big-hitter,savvy football people in the roles of CEO and DoF. Since they know so little about football,it's high time they appointed people who do.

True. We need to make two major appointments.

One management person who reports to Boston. Someone who knows how much transfer kitty is available, takes care of finances and other finance related activities.

One management person who knows a thing or two about football. Someone with whom Rodgers can talk about football and finances. One who will understand the need for a balanced squad. One who will take care of contract extensions, signings and other player related stuff.

And both should be placed in Liverpool. Ayre should be none of them.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 11:56:37 am »
No. FSG were going to appoint a DOF/Sporting Director to work with the new manager. Rodgers didn't want one, so Ayre's portfolio got expanded instead to take care of transfers as well.
That is definitely one of the mistakes by FSG. We should have a CEO/MD who is well respected in the Football circle and have some management experience
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »
I share some of your disquiet about our MD, he certainly doesn't have the gravitas of say Peter Robinson.  His comedian comment about Dave Whelan was completely unnecessary and if he was getting drunk with supporters in a Dublin bar then, well I despair.  However I don't agree with your post, it seems heavy on speculation and light on facts.  It comes across as a rant, a bit Daily Mail, somewhat like the Comolli Kenny blame game we like to play based on not very much at all.  Now it's Ayre's fault we bought Andy Carroll for 35m is it?  Come off it, that's a bit harsh.

For example you state Ayre was responsible for drawing up a list of candidates to replace Dalglish.  Are you sure?  I was under the impression Henry and Werner took charge of that with the help of their infamous advisors.  I didn't see any pictures of Ian Ayre when John Henry was going for a coffee with Bobby Martinez in Miami, unless he was taking the photo from his Harley.  Even if he was then he could have done a lot worse than Brendan.

You claim he doesn't care.  Well I'm sorry but that's ridiculous you have no idea what he thinks.  Looking a bit foolish on Being Liverpool, we have an entire thread of people pointing out Brendan comes across as David Brent.  Kenny comes across prickly and argumentative in front of the cameras and Steven Gerrard always looks completely disinterested and pissed off.  I wouldn't read too much into that.

There is definitely a case for some continuity at the club and keeping him on until the right person becomes available, you can't 'year zero' every single senior management position.  He did OK in the transfer window, probably as well as Parry ever managed.  I don't think it was him personally who pissed Fulham off or vetoed the Dempsey buy.  The stadium seems to be progressing better than it has for the last 15 years or so.

Ultimately though I do share your unease long term but I wonder if I am prejudiced against him based on his image rather than any real knowledge about what he does or how good he is at it.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »
Great post mate, I agree with every word
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »
I share a lot of the concerns long term and still think there is a power vacuum at the club with people unsure who is doing what (or one man doing too much) and the end of the transfer window was a representation of that.

As for the post not being a character asassination? Sorry it's hard to take seriously when you pay so much attention to him riding a motorcycle on a tv show and then go and claim he doesn't care. We have absolutely no fucking idea about that and it is a massive character assisination, almost a tabloid rant.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 12:13:20 pm »
Ayre was brought into the Club by Hicks, was Hicks man on the inside, actively undermined Parry and was Hicks choice to take over when Parry was dumped.

From Hicks himself.
"Under my ownership, Ian Ayre, Philip Nash [the finance director] and Rafa Benitez would make an outstanding management team. As we prepare to move into our new stadium in 2011, we will have the resources to be competitive year in and year out, and restore Liverpool Football Club to its position as the No 1 club in the world."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-559299/Anfields-owners-fight-control-Liverpool-breaking-point-Hicks-wants-force-Parry.html#ixzz2AsMMIxw9

Make no mistake if Hicks had managed to wrestle control of the Club from Gillet then Ayre would of been running the Club three years ago.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »
Great post mate, I agree with every word

royhendo

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »
It's a very well written post, and Rossi will know I share his desire for a truly world class CEO at the helm, but it'd be nice to see the 'missing years' stuff backed up pronto please.

Offline Ronanoman

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »
Ayre was brought into the Club by Hicks, was Hicks man on the inside, actively undermined Parry and was Hicks choice to take over when Parry was dumped.

From Hicks himself.
"Under my ownership, Ian Ayre, Philip Nash [the finance director] and Rafa Benitez would make an outstanding management team. As we prepare to move into our new stadium in 2011, we will have the resources to be competitive year in and year out, and restore Liverpool Football Club to its position as the No 1 club in the world."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-559299/Anfields-owners-fight-control-Liverpool-breaking-point-Hicks-wants-force-Parry.html#ixzz2AsMMIxw9

Make no mistake if Hicks had managed to wrestle control of the Club from Gillet then Ayre would of been running the Club three years ago.

There's probably a lot more to it and I would like to see what pieces of information has led to you coming to the conclusion in the last line. All you've done though is made a statement which doesn't seem to have any sort of facts backing it up, posted a quote that doesn't seem very relevant (Nash and Benitez, who was very critical of Parry, also mentioned, were they his inside guys too?) and then made another seemingly baseless statement.

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
From Hicks himself.
Doesn't that 'prove' Rafa was Tom Hicks bitch as well?  FFS.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »
There's probably a lot more to it and I would like to see what pieces of information has led to you coming to the conclusion in the last line. All you've done though is made a statement which doesn't seem to have any sort of facts backing it up, posted a quote that doesn't seem very relevant (Nash and Benitez, who was very critical of Parry, also mentioned, were they his inside guys too?) and then made another seemingly baseless statement.

I think Hicks wanting to buyout Gillet and publicly stating that he wanted Ayre and Nash to run the Club means it is hardly a leap.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »
Would be interesting to hear from 666 who did the FSG review piece, if he has anymore news on the potential make up of the transfer commitee and if we have recruited somebody to negotiate transfers and a senior football person?

We were linked with getting somebody from Australia , but the guy turned the job down.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »
Doesn't that 'prove' Rafa was Tom Hicks bitch as well?  FFS.

It is clear to me that Rafa took both the yanks on and it is clear to me that Ayre was firmly in the Hicks camp.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline dernaroy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:05 pm »
I have had serious misgivings about Ayre for some time and generally agree with the sentiment of the OP. But I must pull you up on this bit (below). This is pure conjecture really and I've no idea how Parry's appearance related to his ability to do his job properly? Likewise, Ayre.

And it brings to mind his real predecessor (Cecil aside), namely one Rick 'Coco' Parry. A man who was ridiculed for his neckwear. A man who was castigated for having a penchant for turning his phone off. A man who also liked the flash transport trappings of a fat salary (the R8 and infamous Ferrari). A man who "refused to play the numbers game". A man who, we can never forget, was primarily responsible for leading his thick as pigshit chairman into the arms of a pair of toxic tumours without doing even the most cursory amount of due diligence. Unforgiveable? Yes, probably.

But there's one thing Rick Parry had in spades that Ian Ayre doesn't. And no, I'm not even talking about Parry's stellar credentials as the first CE of the Premier League, or the fact he was known and respected in G14 and UEFA circles, although that's another black mark against Ayre. No, what I'm referring to is that whenever you saw Rick Parry, he looked unkempt and stressed. He was trying to do too much that's evident, and used to disappear to the golf course for some brief respite, but above all else, you could see, he CARED deeply about the club. Ayre? I'm not at all convinced. The financial rewards, the perks, the autocracy to run the shop in lieu of absentee owners, sure he 'cares'. But about the fabric of the club, our current state? I don't see it. And that's - as he keeps mentioning to some scepticism - as an erstwhile Kopite.

This is not a thread to whitewash Parry's numerous crimes, but rather to hold Ayre's abilities and conduct up to what was previously deemed unacceptable and ask the question, is he the right man to be at the helm of Liverpool FC? Why did FSG call off the search for a CEO when their first choice turned them down, and promote a 'yes man' (maybe answers the question itself) into the role?

i admireyour optimism but if you honestly believe we will finish even in the top 6 this year , then you my friend (im at pains to say this ) are deluded.

Offline Bill Bob Kenny

• Kemlynite
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »
Its easy to throw mud, but if you look at his work history it is plain to see the guy is not an idiot.  Is he the best CEO in World Football?  Clearly not, but I do laugh at people who slate people on this site sitting behind there desk ordering bottles for some factory to fill with bubble bath or some other lofty postion???
to quote a great man.. "Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »
It is clear to me that Rafa took both the yanks on and it is clear to me that Ayre was firmly in the Hicks camp.

Ayre's a company man. He comes across as the kind of man who'll do anything to get ahead and will do anything the bosses tell him to to get ahead and suck up to them.

He tactically in the end, along with Purslow, sold Hicks out when it was clear H&G were finished here and Broughton had given them the deciding voting rights. I wouldn't class him as a hero for it, as he didn't have much choice. Why FSG have promoted him so much just baffles me. The fact he's a yes man makes the most sense.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »
A few points

How do we know he only had little input into the SC deal?

How do we know all the excesses were Comollis and not Kennys? And was he the man to stop them? Hes not a footballing man - maybe the Manager should have spoken up against the money being wasted?

How much is he to blame for Being Liverpool and how much was it the owners decisison? (thats if you even call it a mistake, plenty on here seemed to quite like it)

Trasnfer deadline day - no idea why he left early. Might be his fault nothing happened, might be the owners, might even be Rodgers. We dont know.

Are you a physchitrist? You look at Ayer's behaviour and actions and draw conclusions as to what state his mind is in?

More words written in the OP about 'Being Liverpool' then Parry selling to G&H says its own story about the bias in the OP

Ferran Soriano is compared to Ayer - why not to Parry also?

A lot of the charges leveled at Ayer could be leveled against Parry but are not. Other glaring mistakes made by Parry are completely ignored.

A realisation about Ayre after watching the last episode of Being Liverpool? Thats a lie at best, the writer of the OP has been slating him in every post possible for months now, and almost every point has been mentioned before several times over

Someone above compared the OP to the Daily Mail - thats being kind.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:42 pm »

Rafa also took on Parry dont forget - was very little love lost there after the who Robbie Keane debarcle (which was also missing from the OP)
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »
A few points

How do we know he only had little input into the SC deal?

How do we know all the excesses were Comollis and not Kennys? And was he the man to stop them? Hes not a footballing man - maybe the Manager should have spoken up against the money being wasted?

How much is he to blame for Being Liverpool and how much was it the owners decisison? (thats if you even call it a mistake, plenty on here seemed to quite like it)

Trasnfer deadline day - no idea why he left early. Might be his fault nothing happened, might be the owners, might even be Rodgers. We dont know.

Are you a physchitrist? You look at Ayer's behaviour and actions and draw conclusions as to what state his mind is in?

More words written in the OP about 'Being Liverpool' then Parry selling to G&H says its own story about the bias in the OP

Ferran Soriano is compared to Ayer - why not to Parry also?

A lot of the charges leveled at Ayer could be leveled against Parry but are not. Other glaring mistakes made by Parry are completely ignored.

A realisation about Ayre after watching the last episode of Being Liverpool? Thats a lie at best, the writer of the OP has been slating him in every post possible for months now, and almost every point has been mentioned before several times over

Someone above compared the OP to the Daily Mail - thats being kind.

What about the fact he was the man in charge last season and completely botched up the Suarez affair from start to finish, basically hiding away under his desk hoping it'd all go away when we needed leadership. Or getting the HR girl to sack Steve Clarke because he didn't have the balls to do it himself. Or comparing Dave Whelan to John Bishop. Or saying nobody wants to watch Bolton when the Bolton chairman's on the Premier League board. Or being in the pub by evening time on transfer deadline day while the fans are sat around expecting at least one signing.

Nowhere to be seen in a crisis but a good news day, or a bit of publicity, and you can't get the cameras away  from him.

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »
How is it clear?  You mean when Hicks tried to sack him?

Or shall I file this along with other gems such as Gerrard and Carragher got Rafa sacked.

Apologies if you are genuinely 'in the know' but given the borderline character assassination indulged in by the OP and given what Suarez regularly has to put up with we really ought to know better than indulge in it ourselves.

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »
I reckon it's a bit harsh judging Ayre from Being: Liverpool. The producers had an agenda and they will have edited their footage to support that. He was probably working hard at appearing calm and composed for the cameras anyway though.

My take is that Henry and Werner delegated authority to Ayre/Comolli/Dalglish to sort out transfers last season. When it all went pear shaped, they tightened things up and now nothing is done without their sayso. They are also determined not to be ripped off.

Ayre appears to be a typical corporate man. He knows how to surf the tide of internal politics, distancing himself from the cock-ups and associating himself with the glories.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »
What about the fact he was the man in charge last season and completely botched up the Suarez affair from start to finish, basically hiding away under his desk hoping it'd all go away when we needed leadership. Or getting the HR girl to sack Steve Clarke because he didn't have the balls to do it himself. Or comparing Dave Whelan to John Bishop. Or saying nobody wants to watch Bolton when the Bolton chairman's on the Premier League board. Or being in the pub by evening time on transfer deadline day while the fans are sat around expecting at least one signing.

Nowhere to be seen in a crisis but a good news day, or a bit of publicity, and you can't get the cameras away  from him.

Listen, im not a fan of Ayre, im not his love child or anything!

If your going to do a comparison it should be done fairly and without bias, which the OP is not.

Ayre has been given plenty of rope and sooner or later he will end up hanging himself. Hes made plenty of cock ups, there is more then enough ammunition out there without either speculating (thats the OP not your post) or trying to make Parry look good to make Ayre look bad.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:08:31 pm by west_london_red »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »
I dont know Ayre and I dont know who has been responsible for what behind the scenes.

The idea that we can discuss a CEO, MD etc as though he were a centre forward strikes me as daft. It is pure speculation based on little or nothing. There are very few facts in any of it. It may all be right, it may all be wrong but it says more about you  and what you believe than about Ayre.

I think it appeals to the worse side of all of us to be able to pigeon hole somebody as all good or all bad. It is simply not true for most people.

The transfer situation with Comolli and Dalglish - if it had worked we'd be praising him for allowing the 'experts' to get on with it - when it doesn't he didn't exert enough control. Exactly how did the fabled 'consensus' approach work there with the individual business cases? We just dont know enough to attrubute responsibility and therfore blame.

Part of being a CEO is risk taking and on occasion you get it wrong. Making mistakes isn't generally the issue - its how you go about it that is.  But in the above example we dont know who pulled the strings - Ayre didn't bring in Comolli. Did Ayre agree the transfer strategy for this summer. We're told Henry does everything by consensus with his vote being more equal than everybody else's.....

Is Ayre just a patsy for FSG, in place until they learn the ropes and then discarded. He has none of the qualifications you'd expect in terms of the FA , UEFA etc - he is not an experienced football administrator and has never claimed to be. He has none of the football acumen you'd expect in a technical director, no experience of running such a huge organisation. On the face it he is somebody who has been given an opportunity of a life time, I'm not sure he can be blamed for taking it.

The Suarez debacle was handled badly from start to finish but how much was Kenny himself responsible for that, he dug several trenches without the assistance of Ayre and Suarez himself needs to take some of the flak on handshake gate. We have to hope we have learned the lessons there so why bring in somebody else who may need to learn those lessons again.

On the Chang appointment i doubt that was Ayre, so does he take the grief for the Slam Dunk debacle, apparently he does.

Ayre appears to have been responsible for every bad decision and none of the good ones in the last 2 years. Apparently he was Hicks bitch at the same time as being part of the group that removed Hicks.

There is the old phrase about walking a mile in somebody else's shoes before you criticise them and I think that applies here.

As for Parry and the 'family silver' the responsibility for that is clear. I'm not sure how he can atone for that or what Ayre would need to do to reach that level of incompetence but certainly more than even you have accused him of.

For me Ayre is an easy target, he knows he is, its part of his brief and he has developed a thick hide to go with it. He's the face of FSG over here and it aint that pretty but it is what it is - if we have any real issues they should be with FSG which is where the responsibility ultimately lies everything else is guesswork - the organ grinder not the monkey (@ Clattenberg).

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:53:54 pm by Vulmea »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

royhendo

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:04 pm »
I've edited the o.p. to take out an item that wasn't backed with proof. There are other elements that we need to make clear are opinion-based too.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:54 pm »

That's a top post, and a much more balanced view than the OP. The OP, despite claims otherwise, was pretty much a character assassination.