Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 828310 times)

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #880 on: November 6, 2011, 02:13:27 pm »
It certainly will, Alan. I am just trying to sort out some action from this match. Rafa_La us trying to post the daily list of matches as soon after midnight as he can. Once he has done that, I will add my pieces underneath it.

Looking good for the international break.

Shall not be drunk in charge of a keyboard if all goes well  :butt

Heavy going this Red Liverbird I love.
And I would have her no other way.

Well maybe a clean sheet AND three points :)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #881 on: November 6, 2011, 05:05:20 pm »
The Auxerre comeback was definately one of the best ever nights on the Kop. The weather was bad and would've put a few fair weather fans off. Plus the pessimists would've swerved it too, thinking a repeat of St.Etienne was highly unlikely. The result was 23,000 baying, swaying optimists who were convinced we could do it. When that Walters shot hit the back of the net, it was classic bouncing, stranger-hugging pandemonium for a good minute. You don't forget an adrenaline rush like that. It's why we're football fans at the end of the day, for nights like that.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #882 on: November 6, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »
The Auxerre comeback was definitely one of the best ever nights on the Kop. The weather was bad and would've put a few fair weather fans off. Plus the pessimists would've swerved it too, thinking a repeat of St.Etienne was highly unlikely. The result was 23,000 baying, swaying optimists who were convinced we could do it. When that Walters shot hit the back of the net, it was classic bouncing, stranger-hugging pandemonium for a good minute. You don't forget an adrenaline rush like that. It's why we're football fans at the end of the day, for nights like that.

I have often regretted being in the Anfield Road end for that Auxerre match. Having said that, on some occasions it was as interesting to observe the Kop as it was to be in the middle of it. This was one of those nights but it wasn't just about the Kop, it was about the whole stadium apart from a small contingent of French supporters to my left in the Anfield Road end. There were groups in the Centenary Stand, Main Stand and Paddock that really got involved in a way that those sections don't normally, not when it comes to vocal support I mean. The few minutes between Mark Walters scoring and the final whistle blowing were just crazy. "Baying, swaying optimists" is a lovely description.I have rarely felt as proud of our support as I did walking away from Anfield that evening.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #883 on: November 6, 2011, 05:37:20 pm »
it was about the whole stadium
That is actually very true. And you could tell the other stands were just as fired up, you could hear them. Certainly not heard the main stand shaking off the blankets & breaking into song very often since. Songs were shouted rather than just sung that night. Players couldn't rest for a minute...the comeback was demanded!

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: November 6, 2011, 11:51:17 pm »
Today In History
November 7th

1964 Fulham (Division One) Craven Cottage 1-1
Ian Callaghan 78'
Att 18,367

1967 TSV Munich (European Fairs Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Anfield 8-0
Ian St John 6' Tony Hateley 9' Tommy Smith 43'(Pen) Roger Hunt 52' 54' Peter Thompson

53' Ian Callaghan 63' 70'
Att 44,812

1970 Derby County (Division One) Baseball Ground 0-0
Att 33,004

1972 AEK Athens (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Nikos Goumas Stadium 3-1
Emlyn Hughes 18' 44' Phil Boersma 87'
Att 19,412

1981 Everton (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Kenny Dalglish 47' 52' Ian Rush 75'
Att 48,861

1984 Benfica (European Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Estadio Da Luz 0-1
Att 35,000

1992 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Anfield 4-1
Ronny Rosenthal 8' 38' Steve McManaman 44' Ian Rush 90'
Att 34,974

1998 Derby County (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Jamie Redknapp 84'
Att 44,020

2010 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Fernando Torres 11' 44'
Att 44,238

DEBUTS
Geoff Strong (1964)

DEBUT GOAL
Dave Hickson (1959)

BIRTHDAYS
kriss        (1952)
John Barnes  (1963)
Daniel Ayala (1990)

anything special about Hunt's goal in 1967????

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: November 7, 2011, 12:00:55 am »
1970 Derby County (Division One) Baseball Ground 0-0
Att 33,004

My 18th birthday and my first visit to the dilapidated shit-hole otherwise known as the Baseball Ground.

I remember nothing about the match. What I do remember is the huge number of Liverpool fans who were there, at a time of course when you just travelled and paid cash at the turnstiles. Away fans were put on the side opposite their Main Stand, with just a small fence keeping the home and away fans apart. I am sure a lot of our supporters in 1970 had also been there when they thrashed us 4-0 in the previous season.

You know the way Tottenham fans now sing “When the Spurs go marching in” starting very slowly then picking up speed. On this day at Derby our supporters did the same with “L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O-L, Liverpool FC”, starting slowly then getting a bit faster each time. It rolled down the terrace and sounded absolutely awesome.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: November 7, 2011, 12:02:10 am »
1972 AEK Athens (UEFA Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Nikos Goumas Stadium 3-1
Emlyn Hughes 18' 44' Phil Boersma 87'
Att 19,412

My second European away (the first was Eintracht Frankfurt in the previous round). It was also my 20th birthday. A well-organised trip arranged by Jet Set Travel who had a shop in St. John’s Precinct in Liverpool city-centre. I think we paid about £35 (it certainly wasn’t more than £40). For that we got a return flight to Athens, all transfers and two nights at a very pleasant hotel in Vouliagmeni, a seaside resort about a dozen miles south of the capital. There was plenty of time to go sightseeing on the morning of the match before we were bussed to the stadium (it was an afternoon kick-off). Emlyn scored two brilliant first-half goals into the goal behind which we were sitting.

We also got to see most of the second leg of Olympiakos v Tottenham the next afternoon. We had to leave a few minutes before the end to get a taxi back to the airport.

A brilliant trip and a wonderful memory nearly forty years on.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: November 7, 2011, 12:03:49 am »
Att 48,861

Here are the highlights as shown on Match of the Day that evening :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CEYm9r6QEU

The first of the twenty-five goals Ian Rush scored against Everton. He didn’t know much about it but it did come off him last so he was right to claim it (21  minutes 9 seconds on the above clip). Eamonn O’Keefe was sent off for going in late on Ronnie Whelan (15 minutes 57 seconds).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: November 7, 2011, 12:04:53 am »
1984 Benfica (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Estadio Da Luz 0-1
Att 35,000

The second leg of our 3rd European Cup pairing with Benfica in 8 seasons. This was the first time they beat us inside 90 minutes but we still went through narrowly on aggregate. On a very soggy pitch, Grobbelaar conceded an early penalty but redeemed himself later with some fine saves. Kenny was sent off just before half-time and Rush hit a post near the end. Brief highlights here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwjAK3_yDg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB650BA0F82E40396

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: November 7, 2011, 12:05:35 am »
1992 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Anfield 4-1
Ronny Rosenthal 8' 38' Steve McManaman 44' Ian Rush 90'
Att 34,974

A routine home win that included Ian Rush’s 200th League goal for the Reds. Here are the goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0n1nqM0ys4

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: November 7, 2011, 12:07:21 am »
1998 Derby County (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Jamie Redknapp 84'
Att 44,020

The first match of a dreadful week in which we lost three home games. It was the last League match for the unhappy Evans/Houllier partnership. By the time we played host to Leeds United a week later, Gerard Houllier would be in sole charge. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmsK7aXLSw

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: November 7, 2011, 12:08:30 am »
2010 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Fernando Torres 11' 44'
Att 44,238

Was it a coincidence that Fernando Torres performed so well against a club that had already tried to prise him away from Liverpool and would do so successfully less than three months later ? Probably not! Torres scored 7 times against Chelsea in 8 matches. Here are the 6th and 7th :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2_KS5iI08

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: November 7, 2011, 12:15:22 am »
Today In History
November 7th

1967 TSV Munich (European Fairs Cup 2d round 1st leg) Anfield 8-0
Ian St John 6' Tony Hateley 9' Tommy Smith 43'(Pen) Roger Hunt 52' 54' Peter Thompson

anything special about Hunt's goal in 1967????

Yes. His second goal on the night took Roger past Gordon Hodgson's all-time record of two hundred and forty-one competitive goals for the club.  By the end of this 1967-68 season he had moved on to 262.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2011, 12:25:15 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: November 7, 2011, 12:39:54 am »
1964 Fulham (Division One) Craven Cottage 1-1
Ian Callaghan 78'
Att 18,367

The  League champions were really struggling to defend their crown. This draw at Craven Cottage took us up to 18th in the table, which was three places higher than we had been after losing to Everton in the middle of September. This was the 6th First Division match in a row which we had failed to win. Our record at this stage was Played 16 Won 4, Drawn 4, Lost 8 :(.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2011, 12:41:45 am by kriss »

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #894 on: November 7, 2011, 02:29:20 am »
Att 48,861

Here are the highlights as shown on Match of the Day that evening :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CEYm9r6QEU

The first of the twenty-five goals Ian Rush scored against Everton. He didn’t know much about it but it did come off him last so he was right to claim it (21  minutes 9 seconds on the above clip). Eamonn O’Keefe was sent off for going in late on Ronnie Whelan (15 minutes 57 seconds).

Great stuff.

I was with my older blue nose brother on the Kop.
He left just after our 3rd goal, uttering the words that he has done for many a year. "Cheating redshite bastards"  ;D

The other thing I clearly remember was meeting up with him in town a few hours later and ending up in the She club where Terry Mac, Mick Lyons and John Bailey all there together pissed out of their heads.

Brilliant days.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #895 on: November 7, 2011, 02:43:47 am »

DEBUT GOAL
Dave Hickson (1959)

Also the only player to play for 3 Merseyside clubs.
Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere.
I've had the absolute pleasure of meeting and talking to him on many occasion.
A true gent of a man.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #896 on: November 7, 2011, 05:20:27 am »
Torres double. I literally fucking sang my throat off, only for him to leave us.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #897 on: November 7, 2011, 09:39:00 am »
perhaps the high point of roy hodgsons rein. i watched the game on my new phone. my new phone contract had free sky thrown in a bonus. difficult to remain calm watching torres second in a wallpaper shop, even more when rodriguez was brought down last minute. was in a shoe shop for that. looked like roy might actually do ok after that. think we lost at stoke or newcy shortly after which blew that theory out.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: November 7, 2011, 09:57:32 am »

Many Happies, kriss!

Thanks for your awesome contributions to the thread. Been fantastic to read each and every post.

Can not wait for more to come :champ
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: November 7, 2011, 09:59:39 am »
said id post about the bucharest game. at the time i was double jobbing. i used to do part time take away deliveries aswell as me office job. at home me mam and dad the odd time used to rent the house out as a b+B. the next day i was due to head to Liverpool as i was playing in the hjccup and was due to see Liverpool vs Man United.

as me room had been used as a b+b and as i was double jobbing on the thursday i had no time to pack, i told me folks atleast 800 bastard times that i needed my room that night otherwise i was gonna be running late for my flight.

as soon as i went to work that night from 530 in the take away the day just got progressively worse. i was going out with one of the girls from the chippy and she was from moldova, she could hardly speak english and trust me there was nothing kinky about it at all. the fucking worst kisser on the bleeding planet. id ended up cheating on her the previous week and i honestly didnt give two shits about it (for the record the bird im with now id never forgive myself for doing the same thing, id rather kill myself)

this one was a bit of a headwrecker. she had stood me up a couple of times previous (as in not turning up somewhere, no funny puns please) week and somehow blamed me. went in anyway to work. tips got progressively worse as the night wore on. the shop kept messing up orders, kept being late with orders which i would get blamed for.

this was headwreckin enough. as mentioned i was due to go to liverpool the next day for the hjccup when i got a text from someone saying that one of my players had a post on the lfc.tv boards saying he couldnt play cos of a long standing knee problem. i had been in touch with the guy for months on the boards and he never once mentioned this. i had been warned about this poster as he had left someone high and dry for a match ticket for a game earlier in the season with leicester. i had a post on the board saying i was a regular on the board but that week i wouldnt be online and if there was problems with the hjccup i wouldnt see it online. the guy had seen the post yet puts up a post for my attention saying he couldnt play (he knew i wasnt online that week so why try contact me that way).

the then mrs asked me at one stage to get her a bottle of water somewhere as she had a cold. she repeatedly nagged at me for it. i hadnt a fucking minute and i just told her to wait. when i eventually had a free second i bought it. handed it to her and she start claiming she asked for vodka. i wouldnt have bought that for her if she had have asked for it. theres no way she had asked for that in the first place. i mean why would you drink vodka when your in work with a cold? when i returned to the shop with water she actually laughed in my face. the bottle was subsequently fired right across the counter in her direction.

she also had this annoying habit of ringing you and hanging up. like something a 3 year old would do and run off giggling. as i was frantically tryna find a player for this tournament by phone this was fuckin headwrecking

got home that night, despite previous instructions my parents didnt give a fucking bollix. people were staying in my room and sleeping
"JESUS FUCKING CHRIST"
"keep your voice down there sleeping"
"I DONT FUCKING CARE"
"well why didnt you pack earlier"
*parents or not, they were getting abuse*
"you tell me HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO PACK WHEN I HAVENT EVEN BEEN LET IN MY OWN FUCKING ROOM FOR TWO FUCKING WEEKS, AND YOU FUCKING TELL ME IF YOUR SO FUCKING SMART, HOW THE FUCK CAN I FUCKING PACK WHEN IM WORKING 14 FUCKING HOURS IN ONE FUCKING DAY MORE THAN YOU DO IN A FUCKING WEEK. I TOLD YOU 800000 BASTARD FUCKING TIMES I NEEDED ACCESS TO MY ROOM TONIGHT BUT YOUR TOO BUSY MAKING MONEY. YOUR SO FUCKING SELFISH YOUS DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ME"

didnt even get time to get a bag for myself. this was repeated to them the next day

the fact we threw away a one goal lead in romania didnt help

it seemed like everyone was just out to piss me off that day.

when we got to Liverpool i had to withdraw my team from the hjccup. 4 lads never showed from Liverpool. thought it was bad form given i went to the trouble of coming from dublin for it and the only guy that turned up other than me was from sweden.

WHAT A FUCKING PAIN IN THE HOLE

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: November 7, 2011, 10:01:51 am »
happy birthday kriss  :wave :scarf

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #901 on: November 7, 2011, 10:05:18 am »
I remember Manc mates taunting me around the time of the Boro game in 1992 for us being shit and I roared back that now we had dropped Mark Wright for the mighty Torben Piechneik that things were looking up for us. I felt fully vindicated after this 4-1 romp. Can't quite remember the rest of the season though!

The Derby game was bad although worse was to come in midweek in the League Cup v Spurs. Will get to that in a few days I guess. 3 home defeats in 8 days though. A sorry and disappointing end to the Roy Evans reign which had brought plenty of good memories and good football.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: November 7, 2011, 10:28:31 am »
that boro game ronny rosenthal scored a screamer

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: November 7, 2011, 10:46:31 am »
happy birthday kriss  :wave :scarf

Thanks very much HR

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: November 7, 2011, 10:48:42 am »

Many Happies, kriss!

Thanks for your awesome contributions to the thread. Been fantastic to read each and every post.

Can not wait for more to come :champ

Thank you R_L. Don't worry. I am planning a couple of days ahead now, partly because it takes time to find the video-clips that support the text.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: November 7, 2011, 10:53:55 am »
that boro game ronny rosenthal scored a screamer

You'll be thinking of his second goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0n1nqM0ys4. But his first goal was pretty classy too, the way he went past the goalkeeper and almost lost his balance but still had the composure to find the net from a tight angle.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: November 7, 2011, 10:55:41 am »
You'll be thinking of his second goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0n1nqM0ys4. But his first goal was pretty classy too, the way he went past the goalkeeper and almost lost his balance but still had the composure to find the net from a tight angle.
he was in a good run of form there. scored a great winner at QPR around that time.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: November 7, 2011, 12:05:04 pm »
he was in a good run of form there. scored a great winner at QPR around that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWkA-Y3_Dk&feature=related I'll post it again on the correct day (23rd November) but here is that goal at QPR you mentioned.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: November 7, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWkA-Y3_Dk&feature=related I'll post it again on the correct day (23rd November) but here is that goal at QPR you mentioned.
quality

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #909 on: November 7, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »
quality

I haven't opened it up but can picture it straight away. Dodgy green away kit, attacking from right to left, Barnes looks up and dinks a perfect ball over the top that sits up for Ronnie to run on too and lash in.

EDIT - why would it be the green away kit at QPR. Must be my mind (and avatar!) playing tricks on me!
« Last Edit: November 7, 2011, 12:15:31 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: November 7, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »
that 1 at qpr was 90th minute wasnt it? away end went wilddd!
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: November 7, 2011, 12:25:55 pm »
was very close to the end alright
I haven't opened it up but can picture it straight away. Dodgy green away kit, attacking from right to left, Barnes looks up and dinks a perfect ball over the top that sits up for Ronnie to run on too and lash in.

EDIT - why would it be the green away kit at QPR. Must be my mind (and avatar!) playing tricks on me!
definitely had the home kit

Rosenthal,,,,,shakes off peacock ROSENTHAAAAAAAL PUTS IT AWAY

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #912 on: November 7, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »
Literally?

Oh fuck, I'm turning into a Redknapp.

:D

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: November 7, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »

87 minutes and 11 seconds when he took the shot says the irritatingly pedantic statistician :D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: November 7, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »
87 minutes and 11 seconds when he took the shot says the irritatingly pedantic statistician :D
to the nearest one thousand of a second or else im taking the last minute as a final answer :D

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #915 on: November 7, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »
btw Happy Birthday to you kriss, have a good one.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: November 7, 2011, 02:10:17 pm »
btw Happy Birthday to you kriss, have a good one.

Thanks DK. Appreciate that  :).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #917 on: November 7, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »
Thanks DK. Appreciate that  :).
you share it with my mrs

always thought there was something weird about you

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: November 7, 2011, 11:10:44 pm »
Saturday November 7th 1987 was a strange date. A full programme of 1st Division matches had been scheduled for that day, but all got postponed. I can't recall why, but it may have been to help the home nations with Euro 1988 qualifiers as there was no international breaks in those days. Liverpool were due to meet Nottingham Forest at Anfield on that date. The game eventually got played on Wednesday 13th April 1988, and if I mention the name Sir Tom Finney then I suspect you'll all know which one I'm referring to.

Another feature of that season was that, due to restructuring of the League, there were only 21 teams in the 1st Divsion. This meant that each team had 2 matchdays off.

The insipid 2-1 defeat by Derby in 1998 was Roy Evans last League game as manager/joint manager. A 3-1 home defeat by Tottenham in the League Cup 3 days later would lead to him standing down.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #919 on: November 7, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »
Saturday November 7th 1987 was a strange date. A full programme of 1st Division matches had been scheduled for that day, but all got postponed. I can't recall why, but it may have been to help the home nations with Euro 1988 qualifiers as there was no international breaks in those days. Liverpool were due to meet Nottingham Forest at Anfield on that date. The game eventually got played on Wednesday 13th April 1988, and if I mention the name Sir Tom Finney then I suspect you'll all know which one I'm referring to.

Another feature of that season was that, due to restructuring of the League, there were only 21 teams in the 1st Divsion. This meant that each team had 2 matchdays off.

i knew about the 21 team thing, but if the rest is right its something kriss can be proud of

i did a season review of that year if anyone wants it