Author Topic: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.  (Read 29955 times)

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.
« Reply #240 on: January 8, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
I thought he was a nice guy as well. His aura of the doddery old man deflected a lot of criticism from his snide, self-serving, insulting comments.

Offline B.Red

• Kopite
  • Pray to God but row away from the rocks!
« Reply #241 on: January 8, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »
I think we'llhave to put up with alot of this now for some time. You don't really know a manager until he's managed YOUR club. The press seem to be mostly on Roy's side. A complete turnaround in results will put paid to that!

Offline reds88

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: January 8, 2011, 10:05:41 pm »
Would they want our ex-manager at their club?

Our ex-manager is NOT a nice guy!

Offline muffins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Well done, lads.
« Reply #243 on: January 8, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
Best of luck, Roy.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #244 on: January 8, 2011, 10:08:09 pm »
Good luck Roy. Job was too big for you im afraid.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #245 on: January 8, 2011, 10:08:59 pm »
Not the nice guy the media loves to play him off as in my opinion. Glad to see the back of him

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: January 8, 2011, 10:10:18 pm »
No matter whether or not he was the right man (he wasn't) he did not deserve the downright viscous, bitter and disgusting vitriol that he had to put up with.

The man, rightly or wrongly, was chosen as manager of this club and to see what he was subjected to was, quite frankly embarrassing and disgusting coming from so called Liverpool fans. We stooped to Newcastle-esque levels and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth over the way that the campaign against him was waged and how some have conducted themselves on here and elsewhere.

He was the worst manager in half a century in every possible respect except that he didn't give an interview to the S*N. He disgraced himself and the club with his words, deeds and results.

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 8, 2011, 10:10:33 pm »
I wasn't too optimistic about his appointment, I must admit, but that was mainly down to how he would fit in the grand scheme of things and his CV. But I was still hopeful, I wanted and probably expected so much more from him. Instead, it was a complete fuck up by all those involved.

Offline Supernatural

• Anny Roader
« Reply #248 on: January 8, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »
good luck roy

Offline redoctober

• Main Stander
« Reply #249 on: January 8, 2011, 10:27:46 pm »
Hodgson the nice guy my fucking arse. he was just a vindictive old fool blame everyone but him self glad the fuckers gone good ridince.
above all, i like to be remembered as a man who was selfless who strove and  worried so others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold there heads up high and say 'WE'RE LIVERPOOL,

Offline kacangpool

• By day, a quiet office worker from Ormskirk. By Night CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
  • Kopite
« Reply #250 on: January 8, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »
bye roy, and good luck. mutual consent  :wave

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #251 on: January 8, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »
All the best Roy, I don't think you quite 'got' this club, but best of luck for the future.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #252 on: January 8, 2011, 10:36:40 pm »
To quote from Shakespeare "The time was out of joint"

On the one hand I have no sympathy for him, because he should have known what he was walking into. Yet when it became obvious that he didnt, grasp what he had taken on I did feel a little sorry for him.

With new owners imminent, his position was fragile from the start. New signings when you arrive are always a lottery - none of them really paid out for him.What surprised me most was how poor his media work and utterances were. I think he was better than that, but the pressure got to him early on. And that's the job. its got the better of better men than him.

The froideur from much of our support was self defeating, and self-perpetuating. Not our finest hour. But it was his job to deal with it, and he couldn't. This probably represents the end of his club career, and England is a non-starter now. Expect some odd, but lucrative National jobs in the middle and far east as his swansong.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 8, 2011, 10:40:49 pm »
On the one hand I have no sympathy for him, because he should have known what he was walking into. Yet when it became obvious that he didnt, grasp what he had taken on I did feel a little sorry for him.

Me too. I'm glad he has left but it's a shame he didn't have what it took and that it took him being relieved of his position to end it. If he'd walked earlier I think he'd have kept a lot more dignity as well as less enmity. He forced it into the position where it was him or us, which was a fight he was never going to win with such a poor record. He can't really blame anyone for his actions but you can feel sorry for him that after a successful season with Fulham he has gone so far backwards

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 8, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »
No matter whether or not he was the right man (he wasn't) he did not deserve the downright viscous, bitter and disgusting vitriol that he had to put up with.

The man, rightly or wrongly, was chosen as manager of this club and to see what he was subjected to was, quite frankly embarrassing and disgusting coming from so called Liverpool fans. We stooped to Newcastle-esque levels and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth over the way that the campaign against him was waged and how some have conducted themselves on here and elsewhere.

That said, I have and always will be a devotee of Kenny and welcome him back with open arms. He has always been and always will be the greatest player and manager we have every had in my eyes, but I have a horrible feeling that some on here will turn on him if things don't turn around overnight, as I am getting the feeling that a lot on here think that Kenny is a guaranteed Silver Bullet for all the ills with this club - he's not. He will improve things, but I believe that what Kenny stands for will not be taken on by some of the players in the squad and will make his job difficult. I hope I am wrong, but there are some players that are seemingly very powerful and have their own agendas. Kenny will root them out, but how long will it take to right and get the side to gel?

Bear in mind, he is only here on a contract until the end of the season and as such, I don't expect that he will have the free reign that people are expecting to bring in players/staff/etc. Time will tell of course, but all Hail King Kenny and Roy - I hope that you get back into management again and all the best for the future - you were the wrong man at the wrong club, but you didn't deserve what you got.

Listen, he wouldn't have gotten so much shit if he hadn't come out with so much shit on a regular basis himself.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 8, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »
It just didn't work out because he has a most inflexible approach to matches and tactics. There was no adaptation in his work and seemed startled by the expectations. Perhaps Purslow told him any wins would be deemed tremendous; it certainly seemed like that's what he thought himself.

Shame how it worked out, more sterling work by that c*nt Purslow.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 8, 2011, 10:45:21 pm »
It was the right time. Any more and it would have got ugly. He's a football man but he didn't have the right set of attributes to be a manager of a top top side. I hope he finds another Fulham and signs off his career with a success. West Ham maybe.
@paulair

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #257 on: January 8, 2011, 10:49:24 pm »
Best of luck in the future Roy !

Offline peterthompsonsgarage

• Kemlynite
  • Gam Zeh Ya'avor
« Reply #258 on: January 8, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »

If nothing else, having Kenny at the helm for however long will hopefully make the 'Come Home Rafa' beauts STFU for a while.
Kenny Dalglish is cooler than The Fonz.

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #259 on: January 8, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »
didn't come across as a nice guy or a gent for me, nothing but a leech clinging to the club till he got his payout

glad hes gone, don't have a good word to say about him

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: January 8, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »

If nothing else, having Kenny at the helm for however long will hopefully make the 'Come Home Rafa' beauts STFU for a while.

i doubt it'll shut up the 'rafa should never come back' beauts though

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #261 on: January 8, 2011, 10:58:53 pm »
When he's sacked in his next job, I wonder if he'll refer to this ending as a sacking/failure or something else.

I'm glad that I'll never need to listen to that mans interviews again. Ever.

"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline jobba

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #262 on: January 8, 2011, 11:14:04 pm »
Reapect too fans that wish him well.
I cant be in the same camp . social aspects of my life take over 80% of my life and football is a huge part of that. the man emotionally damaged me in that aspect and me feel lowly somehow away from the pitch also. with his sacking iv even felt upbeat and have manc supporters huggin me in bar for my friendly banter ( must wash)

sorry but fuck off roy wish u every failure workwise here on in u have enough money and as much as i wish anyone even people i dont like every success in life u can fuck well off uv had ur turn and money ur a better snake than cecil

Offline jobba

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #263 on: January 8, 2011, 11:15:31 pm »
When he's sacked in his next job, I wonder if he'll refer to this ending as a sacking/failure or something else.

I'm glad that I'll never need to listen to that mans interviews again. Ever.

apologies on grammer and spelling for tits wanna pick it up like breasts they never done before but im on me phone

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 8, 2011, 11:17:13 pm »
Nice guy? Was he though? Really?
Yeah he was. I feel sorry for some of the flak the man took from the fans, and he was right when he said he never really received any backing from us, a fair few had written him off before he'd even taken charge of his first game here. Some of the abuse the guy faced was bang out of order as well. Nevertheless for everyones sake, it was a necessary decision. I'm afraid Liverpool was simply too big a club for him and he gradually proved that over the course of his six months here.

Whilst all his interviews were conducted with the best intentions I'm sure, many of his comments left a lot to be desired, and often stunk of negativity, or scaling down of ambitions. His tactics often ensured the team were far too deep which invited too much pressure. The stats don't lie I'm afraid, four points off the relegation zone, twelfth in the table, a negative goal difference for all but two games this season. Something had to be done. Unfortunately he was never up for the job, that's clear I think it's fair to say. I wish him the best of luck, a good man, but not the right man for Liverpool Football Club.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 8, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »
Thank you for trying Roy. Sorry it didn't work out for either party.

Good luck to you in the future.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #266 on: January 8, 2011, 11:24:01 pm »
Nice man? My arse

I'll hope he does well at wherever he goes because that's the type of person I am. He ain't a nice person though!

Offline B.Red

• Kopite
  • Pray to God but row away from the rocks!
« Reply #267 on: January 8, 2011, 11:24:44 pm »
To quote from Shakespeare "The time was out of joint"

With new owners imminent, his position was fragile from the start. New signings when you arrive are always a lottery - none of them really paid out for him.What surprised me most was how poor his media work and utterances were. I think he was better than that, but the pressure got to him early on. And that's the job. its got the better of better men than him.

The froideur from much of our support was self defeating, and self-perpetuating. Not our finest hour. But it was his job to deal with it, and he couldn't. This probably represents the end of his club career, and England is a non-starter now. Expect some odd, but lucrative National jobs in the middle and far east as his swansong.

I think he'll be back  in the capital soon as Avram Grant gets the boot. Fans there will take agricultural style if it keeps them up.

"Not our finest hour" is true but it's not our finest hour on the pitch either. Abuse is part of democracy. The people spoke this time. I don't hope that the people will always govern decisions but morale here is appalling!

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #268 on: January 8, 2011, 11:31:14 pm »
Here's a decent article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8248294/Roy-Hodgson-was-doomed-from-the-start-at-Liverpool-but-did-not-deserve-to-be-left-dangling.html

I'm not sure how much I agree with the criticism of the way the owners went about his dismissal, but otherwise it's a good piece - Not blaming Rafa, stating that the squad has quality and ultimately that Roy's tactical style just wasn't right for the club.

Many of us - myself included - have criticised Roy probably more harshly than we'd like to when gripped by post-match passion (seeing our club in danger of the drop is, afterall, a very peculiar, bizarre reality for us) but I think he remains a good manager, just one who really could not adjust to the scale and pressure involved at this club. It's just no place for a manager whose first taste of football on this level has come at the age of 62...(No I don't count Inter, because fabulous, storied club that they are, they do not have a history as rich as ours and they certainly hadn't conquered Europe five short years before his arrival and reached another final a mere three before).

It was always going to be an uphill struggle and although he has infuriated me plenty of times this season, it would be remiss of to not concede that it's hard to suddenly reinvent yourself at that age, which is really what would have been necessary for Roy Hodgson to suddenly get the very best out of someone like Fernando Torres. For all that I've said about Roy, the blame on this count should lie with whoever made the final decision to appoint him, although I don't wish to open a new set of recriminations, because this is not the time.

I wish Roy Hodgson very good luck, (not to mention good health - he, like Rafa, doesn't look quite the same as he did at the start of his tenure) and hope that if he choices to return, he's soon at a club where he becomes as heroic as he was at Fulham.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 11:32:53 pm by Disintegration »

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: January 8, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »
I hope people can let this lie now. Hodgson's spell here was unsuccessful and he said a few daft things to the press, but he did his best for the club and there's no need to be vindictive. I think it's clear he's not the nice guy the media make him out to be, but he's not at the club anymore so let's concern ourselves only with supporting those people who are.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline peterthompsonsgarage

• Kemlynite
  • Gam Zeh Ya'avor
« Reply #270 on: January 8, 2011, 11:44:05 pm »
I hope people can let this lie now. Hodgson's spell here was unsuccessful and he said a few daft things to the press, but he did his best for the club and there's no need to be vindictive. I think it's clear he's not the nice guy the media make him out to be, but he's not at the club anymore so let's concern ourselves only with supporting those people who are.

Agreed. What is the point in arguing about his 'niceness' or lack of it. He came, he failed, he fucked off. Let him rest as the very small subtext he will always be in our history. Onwards and upwards with the King.
Kenny Dalglish is cooler than The Fonz.

Offline jobba

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #271 on: January 8, 2011, 11:50:43 pm »
if u drink to very end of can ul most likely gag if u hold above tongue let the end dribble onto ur ok.
thanks Hodgson u thought me that u boring git

Offline Jimmy Jazz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: January 9, 2011, 12:00:36 am »
I don't really want to speak about, or think about, Roy Hodgson today (rather just read Kenny's first interview over, over and over again) but much of the criticism (though expected) from some of the papers and other fans is so skewed it's unbelievable.

Roy is a nice man. Probably. It's pretty irrelevant really, and while I agree with Kenny that his last word was dignified, and he is probably a dignified man, it would be impossible for anyone to argue that Roy was the right man for the job. Anyone whose been following us for the last 6 months will know that. While Roy's honest and candid approach worked well at Fulham, it was all wrong, from day one, at Liverpool. And, to make matters worse, it seemed to confirm to us that we had taken a step back, that the rotten hierarchy had helped dismantle much of what we had built the previous six years, and that with Hodgson we were getting a type of football and a type of mentality that undoes much of the legacy of this great club. Other football fans may smirk and point to our league positions, but we're the most succesful club in the country, and if we want quality then we have more right than anybody to demand it. We also have the right to demand a manager who speaks the same language as the fans, who ultimatly, understands the fans. Hodgson was never this. I never hated or wished Hodgson ill, he just shouldn't have been our manager...

but the King is back. So let's take this one day at a time and reclaim what's ours...

Offline stevolution

• Main Stander
« Reply #273 on: January 9, 2011, 12:13:19 am »
I was quite underwelmed when he took over but I fell in line and was prepared to gave him a chance, in truth i took a long time to accept the fact Rafa had been sacked. My initial reading of the situation was that he was to be a 'calm head' & a 'nice guy' during the sale process and never a long term plan so all of this 'he never had enough time, own players, etc' is bizzare, exactly how much time would you give a guy of 63? If he had been a success (or even stable) then maybe the new owners would have kept him on until they found their feet but the results have been so diabolical they had no choice but to let him go.

I will remember Roy with a with a large amount of cringe and I don't think he was the nice guy at all, but i'm confident that Kenny can repair some of the damage and lets face it, we still have plenty to play for during the 2nd half of the season so you never know what we can still achieve.

Bye bye Roy  :wave

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 9, 2011, 12:24:51 am »
What I don't hope we're doing is talking about him constantly after the initual furore over his departure has died down. It's annoying when those who claimed they didn't like Rafa go on about him and seeing as most didn't rate or like Hodgson (I think that's fair to say), we shouldn't really need to go on about him. Particularly if, from now until the end of the season, we get some stability in the league with no threat of relegation. We can then in the summer look forward to positive changes happening and a brighter future, with Hodgson a brief footnote in our history.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: January 9, 2011, 12:26:49 am »
thanks for your efforts roy, got to remember he did try his best for our club. good luck in the future.

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #276 on: January 9, 2011, 12:34:48 am »
No more need for bitterness now, we have a bright new era to start building... over hyped cos he was english? absolutely. a nice guy? like all of us im sure he can be, no-one is perfect, he certainly wasnt H&G.

I do honestly believe he tried his best and just didnt realise or want to admit to himself that the job was beyond him. I mean if i got a promotion at work to an exec job after dong well in an average job for a year i wouldnt say no, i would make excuses to try and stop myself being found out if i wasnt ready or able to do it. he is human afterall.  i can understand why ppl got so angry because this club means so much to us, its about more than football, again something i just dont think Roy was able to understand, perphaps through no fault of his own. Im overjoyed we have started a new era and have a manager that  is one of us now, but in all honesty and with all sincerity I wish Roy well for whatever his future might be.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline stevolution

• Main Stander
« Reply #277 on: January 9, 2011, 12:38:23 am »
What I don't hope we're doing is talking about him constantly after the initual furore over his departure has died down. It's annoying when those who claimed they didn't like Rafa go on about him and seeing as most didn't rate or like Hodgson (I think that's fair to say), we shouldn't really need to go on about him. Particularly if, from now until the end of the season, we get some stability in the league with no threat of relegation. We can then in the summer look forward to positive changes happening and a brighter future, with Hodgson a brief footnote in our history.

I think the reason we have endless discussions about Rafa is because he divides opinion, I think roy will be forgotten very soon because
theres 99.9999% agreement that he was a disaster and had to go.

Offline Timbo0151

• @Timbo0151
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
« Reply #278 on: January 9, 2011, 12:41:03 am »
A new horizon beckons.

If this thread is locked now it will dissapear within hours. Then we can put it and him behind us.

Thanks Roy, sterling and all that, no?
SOS member 1295
@timbo0151

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #279 on: January 9, 2011, 12:51:19 am »
Sometimes things don't work out so good luck in the future.
#JFT97