Author Topic: Liverpool FC - When will the respect return?  (Read 562 times)

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
Liverpool FC - When will the respect return?
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:17 am »
Is it time for teams, opposing fans and the media to start showing more respect to Liverpool and the squad we possess?  Over the course of this season we've been responsible for some fantastic results, with the following 5 being the highlights for me given the opposition and/or rivalry:

Tottenham Hotspur 0-5 Liverpool
Liverpool 4-0 Everton
Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal
Southampton 0-3 Liverpool
Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool

Tellingly, four of these results have come over the course of the past 7 games.  Undefeated in 2014, and in the midst of a 5 game unbeaten streak, few could legitimately discount us as the form team at the moment, and one of the best teams over the course of this season.

Multiple managers have been fired after being played off the park by us, and now the calls for Moyes head is louder than it's ever been before,  Let me ask you a question.  If Barcelona had turned over these teams do you think the fans/media would have been pressuring the teams management and/or managers as much as they did?  The answer is no.  There would have been talk about what a special team they were with comments like "we got beaten by a better team" or "we have a long way to go to reach that level".  Obviously, we've not at the level of Barcelona yet, but the post-match reactions I've witnessed this year have bordered on over-the-top and seem to be a result of our team not being respected for the elite squad we've become.  Maybe it's best that teams/fans/media keep underestimating us, or expecting us to crack, especially before Man City and Chelsea visit.  I'd love nothing more than to see those two overturned on the way to possibly one of the greatest seasons in our storied history.

Lets enjoy this "underdog" status while it lasts.  I have a feeling we won't be treated the same next year!
Raśl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool FC - When will the respect return?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:49:44 am »
I think we have turned that corner my friend. We are far from underdogs in anyones eyes now, least of all the media. Have you been reading the headlines the last few weeks?

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool FC - When will the respect return?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:55:14 am »
I recently read an ESPN article that previewed the Manc game with an "expert" who covers each team. I was genuinely laughing at how both of them were predicting United to win!
Opinions hey. NOW they're going to believe us.