Author Topic: Grinding win shows Rodgers what he has in reserve  (Read 8990 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Grinding win shows Rodgers what he has in reserve
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »
In front of the travelling Liverpool supporters at Tynecastle hung a banner that stood out from the rest: “Against Modern Football” it proclaimed, red letters on a white sheet, the e replaced by the pound sterling sign. The 1,200 away allocation paid either £30 or £40 for the privilege of watching a skeleton Liverpool side toil to a 1-0 victory against Hearts; a sizeable number of that 1,200 embarked on a 10-hour round trip to Edinburgh to watch a glorified pre-season friendly.  They had a point. They always do.

But this is the world they have been dragged in to. Money talks – just ask Roman Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour. It may not seem much in footballing terms, but Liverpool’s starting 11 cost just shy of £50m – and that includes Robinson, Kelly, Spearing, Shelvey and Sterling, all of whom either grew up at the club’s Kirkby academy or were plucked from other clubs for nominal fees. After a wearisome 90 minutes, it became clear Brendan Rodgers could do with another £50m to spend on his squad, and then some, if Liverpool have serious aspirations of battling on all fronts this season.

Liverpool is both a squad and club in transition. On the field, Brendan Rodgers begins the revolution; a gradual transformation that will see his Liverpool side adhere to his four Ps: pressure, possession, patience and penetration. Off the field, Fenway Sports Group strive to make the club more self-sufficient. Gone are the days players like Joe Cole and Alberto Aquilani are offered weekly wages in the six-figure region; the owners now want the club to box clever, bobbing and weaving from high outlay with little reward. Last summer dealt them a firm blow to the solar plexus; it’s left for Rodgers to drag the squad off the canvas.

But the transformation of the club, both on and off the field, must contain equilibrium.  This summer saw Dirk Kuyt, Craig Bellamy, Maxi Rodriguez and Alberto Aquilani leave; four players who can bring Rodgers’ Ps to the field. Kuyt presses and Aquilani retains possession; Maxi is patient and Bellamy can penetrate. More pertinently, the four were able squad players; of the three who have replaced them – Allen, Borini and Assaidi – only one appears to be set for a regular place on the substitutes’ bench.

The first team has undoubtedly improved, but it’s debatable whether the squad has – especially with Rodgers’ design in mind. If Hearts was supposed to be a vision of Rodgers’ Liverpool, supporters will hope it was altered by some hallucinogenics. Players such as Jamie Carragher, Jay Spearing and Charlie Adam struggled to adapt. No one said the results would be instantaneous, but the signs are ominous.

Carragher has never been comfortable with the ball at his feet and, as the two full backs pushed up and Jay Spearing dropped deep, he entered a state of frenzy, opting to hoof up field to Fabio Borini or kick into touch. He is no Gerard Pique and never will be, but after 703 appearances and a 15-year career, the question is whether he can adapt to the new style of play. Indeed, questions must be asked whether, with just a year remaining on his contract, whether it is worth persevering with at all. Questions, too, must be asked of the central midfield pairing of Spearing and Adam. When Spearing did receive the ball, his distribution was poor; when Adam attempted to defend, the Hearts midfield bypassed him far too easily. In Rodgers’ system, the midfield is the aorta; everything flows through them, everything depends on them. Poor performances from both led to a frustrating, disjointed 90 minutes which saw them habitually relinquish possession to Hearts.

It was not necessarily a bad performance from Liverpool however, particularly from some of the aforementioned youngsters. Raheem Sterling, in his first competitive start for the club, had the Liverpool supporters awash with optimism every time he received the ball; soon he’ll have the entire country feeling similar. Sterling possesses the rare trident of pace, technique and intelligence, something both Liverpool and English football in general lacks. He repeatedly found himself in space on the left hand side and, with lightning quick feet and thought, drifted inside on his right, causing panic in the Hearts defence. You knew what he was going to do but it mattered not. Even doubling up on him failed to quieten the 17-year-old. He was supplemented nicely by the intelligence of Robinson and Kelly in the full back positions, the running of Henderson and the eventual calming influence of Joe Allen.

Rodgers will also be impressed by the mentality shown by his squad. Hearts were loud and intense on the pitch and in the stands, but Liverpool refused to falter. They controlled the second half far better than the first, taking the sting out of the game and quietening the raucous Tynecastle roar. That is a trait that has been all-too-absent from Liverpool over the past few years. But Rodgers will know mentality is something that can be improved; the skill sets of certain squad members, however, cannot.

Rodgers’ style of play is dependent on his players having intelligence, fitness and a masterful technique, something his best eleven possess in abundance. After that, the squad is lacking bar youthful input from the likes of Robinson, Henderson and Sterling. A run to the Europa League final would add an extra 19 games to Liverpool’s season; alongside potential League Cup and FA Cup fixtures, it could prove a long season for Rodgers’ men. As relentless and eye-pleasing as Rodgers’ system is, it is akin to a house of cards; remove one or two of the 11 cards, see a few cogs malfunction, and the result is nowhere near as impressive. A scrappy 1-0 victory at Hearts will have taught Rodgers more than any 3-0 procession against FC Gomel. His squad needs reinforcements; reinforcements that can play the way he wants them to. It’s up to FSG to back him over the next few windows to ensure that happens; not with silly amounts of money, of course, but simply support of his judgement.

As much as Liverpool supporters may abhor the thought, embracing modern football may be the only way to restore the club back on its previous plinth in European football. It might even be needed to see them through to the latter stages of cup competitions this season. It’s just a pity you can’t fit that message on a banner for FSG to see.

Link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/44?cc=5739

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
Re: Grinding win shows Rodgers what he has in reserve
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:45:52 pm »
More pertinently, the four were able squad players; of the three who have replaced them – Allen, Borini and Assaidi – only one appears to be set for a regular place on the substitutes’ bench.

Love Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt but I have no problem with replacing them with Allen, Borini, Assaidi, Sahin, Shelvey, Sterling, etc. 
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »
Really good read that Kris.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »
Love Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt but I have no problem with replacing them with Allen, Borini, Assaidi, Sahin, Shelvey, Sterling, etc. 

Unfortunately, we miss something in that. We make it sound like Kuyt, Maxi and Bellamy were our major problems last season. They were not. The major problems are all still with the club. It wasn't wrong to sign the players we did, but we parted with the wrong ones.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
Grinding win shows Rodgers what he has in reserve
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:19 pm »
Unfortunately, we miss something in that. We make it sound like Kuyt, Maxi and Bellamy were our major problems last season. They were not. The major problems are all still with the club. It wasn't wrong to sign the players we did, but we parted with the wrong ones.

Maxi and Bellamy wanted to leave. Kuyt, bless his heart, is no longer PL quality (at least not for teams with big aspirations). Aquilani, well, that saga needed closure.
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:47 pm »
Spot on. Good article.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:40 pm »
It's pleasing that Werner was there to witness both the paucity of the squad and the travelling kop.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

Sounds like an official apology from the PM, that.

Great OP, though. Very interesting.

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:08:11 pm »
Good read that :)
PSN: Pig-Swill     Xbox Live: PigSwill23
there's been a few nights ive had to relieve myself with her beside me in the bed, in fairness to her, she made some sex noises which helped me along the way

Online ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 03:16:11 pm »
Great article, can't disagree with any of that.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 03:19:44 pm »
Good opening post, have to agree in a perfect world other players would have been sold instead of the likes of Maxi, Bellamy etc however each had their reasons for looking to leave. It’s proven to be difficult to get certain players of the wage bill.

I feel it could take Rodgers the full 3 years of his contract to get a squad he is happy with implementing his style of play. He has made some decent signings with Allen and Borini; I am confident what money we have would be at least spent on the right kind of players.

I feel us as a fan base will have to show patience as I can see when things do not go our way a few members of our team will revert to type. (Shy away from receiving the ball, go missing, hoof etc.)  I feel it’s not just the overall quality of the squad that needs to improve but the mentality and belief as well.  He as a big job on his hands and after the constant changes we have made with management appointments since Benitez I feel one thing we need now is stability.

Offline AisoD

• Anny Roader
  • On my best behaviour. Honest.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »
The Hearts game was nothing that the Liverpool team/squad haven't experienced over years. Plucky European oppositions putting on the performance of their lifetime but still losing anyway.

You didn't see the dramatic articles when we struggled every friggin' season against poor opposition with our first team playing, when qualifying for the CL  under Rafa. Apparently now though, these kind of performances are being made out to be representative of Liverpool.

Agree with the premises of the article, we do need to add to the squad, just don't agree with using this match as an example.. West Brom game would have been a better example.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »
Fucking hell Kris, you are a quality writer.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:42:18 pm »
I did write something after West Brom. That's my job.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:03 pm »
nice read
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline ocecynwa

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 04:22:54 pm »
Didn't Maxi and Bellamy want to leave? Kuyt would probably still be here if it wasn't for a ridiculous release clause put in his contract by the old regime.  Not getting into Aqua again.

Great read!
Remember when we used to sing "we've got the best midfield in the world'? Not so much anymore.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »
Didn't Maxi and Bellamy want to leave? Kuyt would probably still be here if it wasn't for a ridiculous release clause put in his contract by the old regime.  Not getting into Aqua again.

Great read!

They all wanted to leave bar Kuyt, and even then, he was happy to have a new challenge. It isn't Rodgers' or FSG's fault they went, but they still have to be replaced, though.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 04:36:35 pm »

Not if we are building for the future IMO.  After the latest round of transfers I think the only major problem left is a deadly clinical finisher.  Everything else I believe can be corrected with coaching and experience.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »
I should add....I did like the post/article.  Well done.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
Great stuff Kris.  I like that you bookended you piece with talk of "modern football", with all its promise, debauchery and unknown.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 04:41:10 pm »
Unfortunately, we can only sell what others want to buy, and we need to sell players to generate funds for players we want to buy.  I see nothing wrong with the players that left the club so far.  In an ideal world, some of them would have stayed, and we would have gotten rid of others, but we do not live in an ideal world.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline fatlip13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 04:41:35 pm »
we got a result and raheem looked promising. some players are going to realise too late that if they don't produce that their time with this club will be over.spearing and adam hopefully are out the door before september. shelvey and henderson disapear for too long, kelly has been going backwards lately and this needs to be addressed soon as i think he is our CB for the future.
i would like to see more players loaned out so they play at a higher level. we seem to get players to a level and then don't make the step up

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 04:48:17 pm »
Seriously mate, I think you're an excellent writer. Even at this top level it's unusual to get that combination of excellent writing, intelligence and genuine knowledge of the subject.

I hope your writing takes you to wherever you want it to take you.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

royhendo

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 04:49:43 pm »
You da man!

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 04:54:28 pm »
It's pleasing that Werner was there to witness both the paucity of the squad and the travelling kop.

Why the travelling Kop?

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:26 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. :) I'll be stepping it up after the international break, so there will be match reports, press conferences, et cetera.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »
In a country where working families are going cap in hand to charities because they only have enough food to feed their kids, can we honestly justify six figure weekly salaries?  I think as supporters we need to back FSG because we cannot allow this financial suicide to continue. Self-sufficiency is vital.  Sky won't always be able to pay ridiculous sums of money for TV rights. The likes of Mansoor and Abramovich won't always be around. 

If this club of ours can prove that you don't need to spend vast sums of money on players and their salaries and still achieve success, football as a whole will be the beneficiary. I know the owners spent big last season but I felt at that time that they wanted to show the fans they meant business, that they were willing to put their money where their mouth was. After H&G's promise of a new stadium that failed to materialise leading to a backlash from the fans I believe they were fearful of creating a bad image before they had even got started. It is right to be circumspect, but support is necessary (not blind support btw) because if we get it right our future will be guaranteed - unlike some other clubs I could mention.

"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:39 pm »
Fantastic piece that, enjoyed reading it. Cheers.

However, a lot of people seem to be looking on the Europa League as a bit of a burden, or at least condemning the fact that we have so many games to play.
Personally I see it as an opportunity to get more game-time into the players under Rodgers system, and hopefully, those extra matches playing in the style that Rodgers wants them to play in will allow it to be translated to the league easier.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »
Why the travelling Kop?

The people that makes the effort despite 'modern football'. Werner's only ever been to home matches before, I think (unless you count Wembley finals.)

Offline Tumbleweed

• Anny Roader
  • Pax Bisonica
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »
That's a very enjoyable read, thanks for sharing.
“To wage war three things are necessary; money, money, and yet more money”
Gian-Jacopo Trivulzio, Marshall of France (1499)

"The club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club"
Jürgen Klopp (2018)

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »
Very well written piece.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline wesley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »
Great post. Always thought that BR needs at least two or three years to both phrase out deadwood and recruit and develop players who fit into his system. The whole process will not be easy to watch but if that leaves us eventually a stronger squad and a more self-sufficient club then I can see a much brighter future...

Offline danielfonseca

• Clearly mad as a hatter who's gone mad with a box of frogs cracked up on SunnyD in a confined space and high on sherbet with no tea. Mad.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 07:36:33 pm »
Have to say all ths pointless writing is woeful. We had a man in charge who led us to far greater expectations than we could imagine, with minimal budget and average signings he achieved far greater than we could now. Even at the time with dispacable owners. Another 50 mil. You're kidding aren't you?  Biggest ever mistake was removing that fat fuckin waiter. . F'kin yanks. Not got a scooby.

The Memory of that period is summed up by me being one of those booing the team drawing 0-0 against West Ham while Sky Sports showing the League table  straight afterwards where we were top by 2 points and looking down on everybody else, while the games to look forward to were those played on a saturday and sunday and not the boring midweek CL games which was only of Interest from the QF onwards , we knew we would be there, and in the semi's each year, it really got to that stage in my though process, it became a habit.

Now looking back on it , the greatest regret is never fully appreciating the Times we were going through, it became normal, it became our minimum standard, I thought these times were infinite and forever.

2 years on from Rafa, Mediocrity is celebrated with excuses of transition, pass and move football with pressing to win back as BR Philosophy ( we have not seen that before apparently.) and even informing us taht the current manager is already an icon after playing 3 mediocre teams, which includes a 3-0 reverse . (carlos qikabal.)

Not only have the standards and times of the club changed but also we the fans have also been caught up in the Malaise, we also have changed.
As Dion Fanning said after rafa Leaving and most of us knew, the Benitez Years will be remebered as Golden with each week, eaach game, each season, He was wrong, they were more than just golden .

"My methods have translated and worked well from Halmstad to Malmo"

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »
Good read as ever
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »
Great post. Always thought that BR needs at least two or three years to both phrase out deadwood and recruit and develop players who fit into his system. The whole process will not be easy to watch but if that leaves us eventually a stronger squad and a more self-sufficient club then I can see a much brighter future...
Yes he will use the ancient magic art of phraseology to make them leave the club!
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:27 pm »
The Memory of that period is summed up by me being one of those booing the team drawing 0-0 against West Ham while Sky Sports showing the League table  straight afterwards where we were top by 2 points and looking down on everybody else, while the games to look forward to were those played on a saturday and sunday and not the boring midweek CL games which was only of Interest from the QF onwards , we knew we would be there, and in the semi's each year, it really got to that stage in my though process, it became a habit.

Now looking back on it , the greatest regret is never fully appreciating the Times we were going through, it became normal, it became our minimum standard, I thought these times were infinite and forever.

2 years on from Rafa, Mediocrity is celebrated with excuses of transition, pass and move football with pressing to win back as BR Philosophy ( we have not seen that before apparently.) and even informing us taht the current manager is already an icon after playing 3 mediocre teams, which includes a 3-0 reverse . (carlos qikabal.)

Not only have the standards and times of the club changed but also we the fans have also been caught up in the Malaise, we also have changed.
As Dion Fanning said after rafa Leaving and most of us knew, the Benitez Years will be remebered as Golden with each week, eaach game, each season, He was wrong, they were more than just golden .

I miss Rafa more every game I watch now. But I still hope you are wrong.
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »
Not sure FSG and against modern football have to be different - yep thats sounds bonkers given the american venture capitalists involved - but football needs to be  'fair' - the dream of success for all has to be there or it loses contact with the very reason it has become so popular - its not the franchised elitist american football model - platic, packaged, promoted and pervasive ( another 4 P's for ye) in the US - its more organic - its grass roots, conference, league 2. league 1, championship, 'premier league

we see how football success plays with the kids - the new city and chelsea shirts for people who want to buy part of the success - glory hunting tossers - but there's also the southend shirts, the grimsby shirts, brighton etc - football either becomes a big city franchise league or it stays true to its roots - it can and should provide an outlet and a dream for everybody - somewhere for people to 'belong' if they want to - if fsg work within that model I aint sure what else we could ask for

football 'fair play' shouldn't be something uefa have to draw up rules on,  it should be something we insist on - if fsg can help with that whatever motives then I dont think I have a problem with that - if fsg act as custodians - if they make the club self sufficient and put what the club earns back into the club thats exactly what a fan owned club would do - they may come from a different universe that doesn't mean the goals have to be different - sure fsg may sell up tomorrow but if they leave a balanced set of books and have invested in the infrastructure and relationships that are needed  a benevolent dictatorship isn't that bad - a little insecure maybe, some shadowy motivation but who knows

the shadow squad at Hearts was very similar to Leverkeusen - game time, working together in a pressured environment -  a chance to measure progress and ability - its a chance for individuals to develop - not in the stiffs or U18's - its a rest for players who'll be worked hard later - its also of course a chance to save millions - all of it can be true

I'd rather see kids developed than mediocre mercs brought in - rather give suso a chance than bring in another Joe Cole - but that being the case we also have to be prepared to see those risks impact us - to see us lose points, for expectations and potential not to be reached - give Morgan a chance, and Robinson even Mcloughlin but expect us to struggle for a couple of years - not on paper, not as a theory but in reality - finish 8th, 9th suffer the jibes and insults and piss taking - other clubs have had it worse

Maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani, Aurelio, Bellamy could all of helped us on the pitch but were basicallyon too much money for squad players- we had a bloated wage bill and that money needed to be spent more effectively - we probably have another year or two before the structure we really need can be put in place - unless we are lucky it'll be a frustrating two years but being honest I dont want to see us go and buy superstars, I want to see us make superstars ( the tricky bit maybe keeping them) - I want a team that'll run themselves into the floor for us, then get up and do it again - I want a team with no fear of reputations either ours or the oppositions -no ridiculous modern penchant for idolising you tube clips of south american grapefruit jugglers, I want the lad kicking bottle tops against the bricks in breck road and chewing nails - who put it all in for his mates and if he has Gerrards superb ability all the better, if its Carra's heart that'll do for me too as long at its a team, our team.

modern football over paid primadonna's, and an obsessive celebrity driven media - they can all go fuck themselves as long as we have a team not a group of A list celebs and if fsg and Rodgers can deliver that  - something for us to have pride in - then bleedin great - its as much a poke in the eye of modern football as anything I could think of - football should be about teams not individuals its swung too much the other way because of the obsessive celeb culture we live in - and Sky's burning need to find the story, to create teh story to keep pouring fuel on the fire of the obsession - keep the money flowing in to their friggen soot covered bank accounts

no idea why I just wrote all that bollocks but thanks for the opportunity

I hate modern football btw
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:27 pm »

no idea why I just wrote all that bollocks but thanks for the opportunity

Not bollocks at all.  Very well said, sir.

Supporting any football team brings the whole range of - often conflicting - emotions with it and with us it's x100: the owners are twats; no, they are doing their best.  Players are overpaid fannies, but you scream c'man when they net a screamer.  The manager has a plan and needs time; he's out of his depth after a couple of games.  Sky and the media are the absolute worst for painting it in black and white like this when its fucking not.

The OP and Vulmea's post were good reads as they were balanced and fair, and they're not trying to say that we are going to be awesome or shite for the rest of the season based on 1 or 2 performances. 

Rogers needs time and for supporters to reserve judgement, for now.  Seen that written on here so many times and it's sad it will need to be repeated again and again.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43:21 pm »
Nice one mate. You've responded very well to the requirements of writing for a more neutral readership, without compromising at all on insight and readability. In fact, I think it suits you better than writing for an LFC heavy audience.

Offline ScouseinDK

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:53 pm »

I´ve been missing our fat waiter for years, and there is no denying that he gave us back something we hadn´t had for two decades in europe, and genuine belief that we could beat anyone, that we hadn´t had for over a decade.
I do, however, genuinly hope that BR can bring back some of the pride that we have lost in the two years since Rafa. I will try to remind mself that we are in transition when we play games like we did against West brom, but I want to see more fight in the team. 
People often quote shankleys-" if you cant support us when we´re losing".... Didnt he make another famous speech to his players about what they owed the fans for their support?