Author Topic: Agents Fees.  (Read 5157 times)

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Agents Fees.
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:00:32 pm »
Should agents fee's be funded by the player not the club ? I feel they should and players can negotiate with the agent prior to him representing them.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Agents Fees.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:03:02 pm »
Should agents fee's be funded by the player not the club ? I feel they should and players can negotiate with the agent prior to him representing them.

The players no doubt will be paying fee's to their agents above and beyond what you see the club announce as their agent fee's. Plus all that'll happen if you forced it all onto the players, and this already happens anyway, is the players will just demand a payment the equivalent to that of the fee's so they are paid, and this would be more expensive for the club in the long run.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
Thats all very well but i feel agents are creaming off the top to much and if players are made to foot the bill and clubs adhere to it, nothing anyone can do.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 06:16:03 pm »
Show me the money
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:18:49 pm »
Thats all very well but i feel agents are creaming off the top to much and if players are made to foot the bill and clubs adhere to it, nothing anyone can do.

The players will just demand higher wages to cover them, there isn't really a way to make them adhere to not paying them and it would always end up with more going out the clubs and to the players.

The only way is to limit the amount agents can charge.

Offline AfricanBavarian

• Kopite
Agents Fees.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:16:47 pm »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:25:02 am »

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »
There are undoubtedly good agents, as well as bad.

However the work some claim to do would often be better done by a qualified professional advisor.

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: June 4, 2016, 07:49:39 am »
I may be totally wrong here but aren't they already, ostensibly? My understanding was that players give their agent X percent of whatever wages get negotiated. I'm am avid follower of American sports and I know this is basically how it works there. Though I guess transfer fees and how agents can weasel their way into that makes this question more complicated.

Offline HoraceGoesSkiing

• Main Stander
  • Dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2016, 07:59:24 pm »
Always assumed agents work for clubs as well as individual clients, basically got their hands in everything

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2016, 09:05:54 pm »
I have worked free lance for over 30 years through agencies oil gas. How they operate is they hire you to the client, do very little for their commission and if the shit hits the fan they always side with the client. I should imagine football operates on a similar basis, as they receive what we call a finders fee, for going to work direct for the client direct. i am no expert on how much these agents actually earn percentage wise when a deal is struck. but i do know some receive millions. As far as I am concerned they can dress it up how ever they wish, but they are an expense the clubs could do without.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2016, 06:39:02 am »
Agents fees SHOULD be the responsibility of the player, imho.

I pay some of my clients a "spotters fee" if they refer me to their friends/ family for work.
I obviously build some of that cost into the quote i give, but i also absorb some of that cost.
Without referrals i would lose out on some income{due to lack of work}, so the way i see it, as long as my base margin in met any excess cream can finance the lead.
 Players should be the same.

real estate, or infact any other form of sales has the supplier paying the costs of advertising{obviously built in to the final price} but why should the club then pay a further agents fee??
JFT 96

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2016, 09:38:23 am »
I'm am avid follower of American sports

Sorry to hear that. RIP. YNWA.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2016, 10:00:03 am »
Sorry to hear that. RIP. YNWA.

:lmfao

Easily resolved - Paul Scholes never had an agent, I think he did alright out of if. Seems almost like a pre-requisite to being a footballer, but that's just a lazy interpretation.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2016, 10:19:16 am »
The 'agent' in agents fees isn't always an agent. Could be a lawyer, accountant anything like that.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2016, 03:35:24 am »
The players no doubt will be paying fee's to their agents above and beyond what you see the club announce as their agent fee's. Plus all that'll happen if you forced it all onto the players, and this already happens anyway, is the players will just demand a payment the equivalent to that of the fee's so they are paid, and this would be more expensive for the club in the long run.

it is a lot more complicated in reality  think.
players pay agents fees based on their contracts - so percentage of signing fees, wages, mage rights, commercial deals, etc.
then there are expenses related to arranging transfers and contract negotiations.  the club will incur fees that are reported as transfer fees that relate to transfers.  these will involve facilitation, contract negotiations, etc. most are related to legal fees and the like.  but there remains an element that seems murky, and relates to facilitating deals. so often clubs seem to deal significantly with particular agents.  this is largely opportunistic (get to know the agent, get to know his player's agent, get to know the player's needs and plans first.

there is always going to be an element of duplicity as a result.  and possibly it is an area of the game that does need to be looked at for purposes of clarity. cos firstly there is a ALOT of money involved. and secondly because there is vested interest in clubs being involved with agents, agents getting involved with clubs, relationships that service agents and directors more greatly than it serves players and clubs, and ultimately fans.
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 7, 2016, 09:23:10 am »
With no personal knowledge or experience of agents other than what i read and i have seen on tv/documentaries etc... I think agents in football are a necessity.

I think as much as that there is a stigma about agents and the fees they get - which is a ridiculous amount, it's in keeping with the money that flows around football today. I also think that all clubs use a particular agent with whom they get deals done with so it goes both ways.

I also remember a story from when we signed God back the second time and he was desperate to sign anything in front of him but Rick Parry made him take a step back and actually read through the contract docs and then sign it...

And i think that is the thing with contracts in football nowadays, they are obviously a lot more complicated and include clauses and conditions which need to be ratified and made sure a player signing it knows exactly what a club means by this that or the other... which for most football players, you get the impression that they aren't always the sharpest tool in the toolkit as such so will need to rely on other experts who know what a particular thing might mean.

Again that's fine, you don't want players signing up to stuff and then being committed to something that they don't agree with and then cause such a stir and likewise we as a club don't want to be tied down to a particular player who turns out to be a bastard either...

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2016, 07:15:43 pm »
Use operent.
No time for caution.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 4, 2019, 04:57:42 pm »
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-agents/liverpool-top-table-for-agents-fees-at-43-million-pounds-idUKKCN1RG1L8

Liverpool top table for agents fees at 43 million pounds

LONDON (Reuters) - The 20 Premier League clubs splashed out a combined record 260 million pounds to agents last year, according to figures released on Thursday by the Football Association.
Title-challenging Liverpool topped the table with 43.7 million going to agents for the 12 months ending Jan. 31 — more than Manchester City and Manchester United combined.
Liverpool invested in new players before the start of the current season, spending about 177 million pounds on the likes of Roma keeper Alisson, Naby Keita from Leipzig, Fabinho from Monaco and Xherdan Shaqiri from Stoke City.

Seems we are consistently higher in terms of agent fees we are paying compared to our rivals- are we accounting for these differently to others or is it because we have done lots of big transfers (Coutinho, VVD, Alisson, Naby, Fabinho, etc)? Either way, we really need to look to get this figure down as circa 10% of revenue is going to these moneygrabbers

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 4, 2019, 05:03:35 pm »
Spurs also beat our record profit announcement. Can't this SHIT CLUB DO ANYTHING RIGHT  :no
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #20 on: April 4, 2019, 06:13:44 pm »
I don't quite like the media spin on the clubs as if we wanted to pay that much

Surely it's a necessary evil? I mean, it took us ages to get VVD and I bet agents fees just rise and rise...

:D I'd prefer a table of greediest agents!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2019, 06:22:19 pm »
Is the agents fees on top of the £177m or part of it

If were paying lower fees to the clubs due to Agents then it probably balances out ?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: April 4, 2019, 06:34:28 pm »
It is what it is really. Shite they get so much but until they are better regulated then clubs (and therefore fans) are going to get rinsed.

I’d also take City’s with a pinch of salt too, as wouldn’t mind betting they’ve paid agents via other sources.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2019, 07:13:14 pm »
It is what it is really. Shite they get so much but until they are better regulated then clubs (and therefore fans) are going to get rinsed.

I’d also take City’s with a pinch of salt too, as wouldn’t mind betting they’ve paid agents via other sources.

City are bent c*nts, dont believe anything coming out of their camp.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #24 on: April 4, 2019, 07:53:03 pm »
Chelsea spent more on players, and yet a lot less on agents fees for some reason.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2019, 08:01:46 pm »
Chelsea spent more on players, and yet a lot less on agents fees for some reason.

Depends on the agent I guess, plus structure of the deal. Renewals will incur a cost too.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 5, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »
When I grow up I want to be a football agent.  :o

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 5, 2019, 03:20:46 pm »

I know at one point they were fairly cozy with a few of the so called Super Agents. If that's still the case I imagine they pay them through other means as a more stable income stream and then get mates rates on the actual transfer.

Although I am also probably talking shit. That's the issue with agents and their world being so bloody secretive. Every so often they try and regulate the issue with half arsed rules and the agentsd just adapt with nothing changing. I'm glad of the new rules about how they can't work for both the selling and buying club now, although I'm fairly certain they'll just weasel their way around it. Off the top of my head you just pay a mate a small sum to sign their name on the documents while they actually did all the work for both parties and get the cash.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2019, 03:24:56 pm »
Agents boil my piss because for the Premier league - what do they do?!

not as if Liverpool didnt know VVD. An Agent hasnt had to "sell him" to us

The rules should be changed so the players pay the agents their fees. If that happened players would soon change to using lawyers i think to handle the deal.

The only place an agent is adding value i believe is when the player is unknown or needs hawking around. At Liverpool's level we know them all so we are paying them to broker a deal that everyone wants! madness!