Author Topic: Loris Karius  (Read 327537 times)

Offline coutinho and firmino

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL SIGN LORIS KARIUS
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2016, 01:59:37 am »
End of the day he is cheap and has time to develop. Worst case scenario he has a bad season and becomes the understudy the next. Personally though from the interviews and the way he presents himself in the press he looks like a confident lad and should be able to have a solid campaign with Klopp's guidance.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2016, 03:31:43 am »
My only question is can two alpha dog GKs coexist in the same team?

The competition could work out and drive both of them forward, or it could be destabilizing.  Time will tell.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline VIA

• Kemlynite
« Reply #362 on: May 29, 2016, 07:01:59 am »
Honestly think Karius will be the No 1. Mignolet was given a contract to maintain his performance towards the second half of the season. You do not want your keeper to be wracked with doubts at any time. With Karius on board, if Mignolet leaves, we get a decent price for him.
I do however, question our keeper staff. Reina tailed off after Benitez left, Mignolet wasnt very good... just wondering if there isn't a massive improvement to be had there.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #363 on: May 29, 2016, 08:58:22 am »
Goalkeeper coaching has been questioned a few times on here. I don't know if anyone could tell you if Achtenburg is part of the problem or not, as none of us have worked with him, seen him coach or are qualified enough to say whether or not he is good at what he does. If Karius goes to shit though you really will have to wonder...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #364 on: May 29, 2016, 09:02:59 am »
Goalkeeper coaching has been questioned a few times on here. I don't know if anyone could tell you if Achtenburg is part of the problem or not, as none of us have worked with him, seen him coach or are qualified enough to say whether or not he is good at what he does. If Karius goes to shit though you really will have to wonder...

The guy was hired by Rafa, kept by Kenny, kept by Rodgers and so far kept by Klopp.

They've all worked with him daily, so I'm gonna assume were all very happy with his work.

Either that or he has nudie pics of Ayre.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #365 on: May 29, 2016, 09:05:38 am »
The guy was hired by Rafa, kept by Kenny, kept by Rodgers and so far kept by Klopp.

They've all worked with him daily, so I'm gonna assume were all very happy with his work.

I think you may be onto something. :D

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #366 on: May 29, 2016, 01:09:03 pm »

He was the only senior coach kept on by Rodgers, the only one to survive the cull following that, and the only one also kept in role by Klopp (although Pepin Ljinders was also retained in a slightly modified role.)

He's worked under five different Liverpool managers. So if he's not good enough it must be almost impossible to find someone who is.

Reina had an injury and hasn't been the same since, even when he was working with Rafa and valero at Napoli. Mignolet is certainly no worse than when we got him, and in some areas he has improved a lot.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »
Delighted we signed this fella instead of the very overrated & overpriced Ter Stegen, who just conceded yet another howler. 
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: May 29, 2016, 09:13:22 pm »
Superb signing. This is how we should do business. Sign players right after their breakthrough season. Great price and would definitely cement his place as the starting GK.

Nivea likes him, too.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: May 29, 2016, 09:51:37 pm »
This Achtenberg nonsense online..on twitter and elsewhere is hilarious. All of a sudden all of the experts and ITKs think he's the reason we have had keeper issues. Granted I haven't seen it on twitter because I don't go anywhere near it but it overflows onto here and other online articles. As if anyone knows how the training goes. If Klopp likes him I think I'll defer to him.

Re: Karius...I think we really scored a fantastic up and coming keeper here. Voted #2 in Germany by his peers-this is quite a statement. He's only 22 and there are loads of good keepers in Germany. He will be our number 1 I would be willing to bet a substantial amount.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: May 29, 2016, 10:54:27 pm »

Same could be said of Martin Skrtel.

I'm only pulling your leg though. Haven't a fucking clue whether our players are any good  let alone the bloody coaches

I'm delighted we've done a bit of early business with the keeper though, good luck to him
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: May 29, 2016, 11:10:01 pm »
Remains to be seen. With Courtois still not 100%, Mignolet might end up a regular for Belgium over the summer, and they're among the favourites for the Euros. Could inflate his value a fair bit.
My guess is he'll stay and try to win his place.

I don't think he will stay to try and win his place. It's his to lose. I don't think he will be our first choice keeper at the end of next season but it's certainly his position on day one of next season barring injury.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: May 29, 2016, 11:17:51 pm »
I don't think he will stay to try and win his place. It's his to lose. I don't think he will be our first choice keeper at the end of next season but it's certainly his position on day one of next season barring injury.

I doubt it. It's not his to lose. He's already lost it.

Karius has been brought in as no.1 and he will start as no.1 (barring an Olympic call-up).
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: May 29, 2016, 11:30:44 pm »

It's certainly his position on day one? And how would you know this exactly?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #374 on: May 30, 2016, 01:03:04 am »
It's certainly his position on day one? And how would you know this exactly?
You're seriously asking this question, on RAWK? ;D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: May 30, 2016, 02:18:09 am »
There's no guarantees but you'd be an idiot to think a keeper of Karius' standing came without assurances of being first choice. Same as when Mignolet came despite Reina still being here.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: May 30, 2016, 02:22:34 am »
I think it is important we don't get ahead of ourselves here. The way I see it at the moment Mignolet is still going to start the season No1 but with the knowledge that he's got no room for error. That's the way it should be at a good club. But if that is the case it is important that he is at least given the chance to prove himself. Everyone sitting there on tenterhooks waiting for the first sniff of a mistake to start howling for a change could prove counter-productive.

Mignolet has quite rightly taken some criticism during his time here. Everything points to him being in the last chance saloon at the club. But if he starts in August it is really important that everybody gets behind him and hopes for him to stay No 1 all season because of his good form.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: May 30, 2016, 02:25:09 am »
There's no guarantees but you'd be an idiot to think a keeper of Karius' standing came without assurances of being first choice. Same as when Mignolet came despite Reina still being here.

He's 22 and given the financial situation of the Premier League I'd imagine that we are paying him more than he'd get elsewhere. Of course he is going to believe in himself that he can get the starting place but I don't think that we would have had to give him any promises to get him over to the club.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: May 30, 2016, 03:55:45 am »

He's 22 and given the financial situation of the Premier League I'd imagine that we are paying him more than he'd get elsewhere. Of course he is going to believe in himself that he can get the starting place but I don't think that we would have had to give him any promises to get him over to the club.

Kicker mentioned that Klopp has given Karius assurances if no.1 before signing him .

You are being bit naive if one of the best GKs in Bundensliga will come without such assurances .If it was about PL finances then he would have just stayed at Man City pocketing far more

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: May 30, 2016, 03:56:34 am »

Kicker mentioned that Klopp has given Karius assurances if no.1 before signing him .

You are being bit naive if one of the best GKs in Bundensliga will come without such assurances .If it was about PL finances then he would have just stayed at Man City pocketing far more .

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #380 on: May 30, 2016, 04:03:30 am »
Just saw the Germany game and the poor goals conceded by Leno and Ter Stegen.
Karius looking very good right now.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: May 30, 2016, 09:14:42 am »

You are being bit naive if one of the best GKs in Bundensliga will come without such assurances .If it was about PL finances then he would have just stayed at Man City pocketing far more .

Assures him he'll be number 1... after he signs, hands him a jersey with the number 1 on it and shouts 'PSYCHE' in his face.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #382 on: May 30, 2016, 09:36:14 am »
We've got a promising young goalkeeper to develop but Achterberg is the person to develop him. Not good.

While Achterberg is still here we need the finished article. Mignolet hasn't developed one part of his game in 3 years.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: May 30, 2016, 10:29:39 am »
We've got a promising young goalkeeper to develop but Achterberg is the person to develop him. Not good.

While Achterberg is still here we need the finished article. Mignolet hasn't developed one part of his game in 3 years.

Can't keep up with all these scapegoats currently at the club, last season Mignolet then last week it was Moreno and now we're back to Achterberg again.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
I do find this stuff about 'assurances' to be odd. A manager of Klopp's stature guaranteeing a player that he will start? Regardless of performance?

Nonsense, in my view. I would understand if Jürgen had promised him he will have every chance to claim the spot with no favouritism being shown to the incumbent. I would expect Karius to be confident in his own ability to believe he will be our starting goalkeeper in short order. I would also expect Mignolet to rise to the challenge with his utmost ability.

Every other position on the pitch we would aspire to have at least two senior players pushing each other to the limit to wear the red shirt, hopefully with a talented youngster doing enough to keep them on their toes. I don't see why this competitive pressure shouldn't apply just as much to the green shirt too.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #385 on: May 30, 2016, 10:51:43 am »
Can't keep up with all these scapegoats currently at the club, last season Mignolet then last week it was Moreno and now we're back to Achterberg again.
Imagine if we actually signed Gotze.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2016, 01:54:14 pm »
I do find this stuff about 'assurances' to be odd. A manager of Klopp's stature guaranteeing a player that he will start? Regardless of performance?

Nonsense, in my view. I would understand if Jürgen had promised him he will have every chance to claim the spot with no favouritism being shown to the incumbent. I would expect Karius to be confident in his own ability to believe he will be our starting goalkeeper in short order. I would also expect Mignolet to rise to the challenge with his utmost ability.

Every other position on the pitch we would aspire to have at least two senior players pushing each other to the limit to wear the red shirt, hopefully with a talented youngster doing enough to keep them on their toes. I don't see why this competitive pressure shouldn't apply just as much to the green shirt too.

You're absolutely right. Klopp has said before he never gives anyone assurances about places in the team. Don't care if "Kicker" claims he did-it's nonsense.

Offline KenDoddsDeadDadsDogsDead

• vlad illych
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2016, 03:15:36 pm »
Imagine if we actually signed Gotze.
Yes he's had a lucky escape, Gotze.

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2016, 04:31:26 pm »

GK's are different.

Nearly every GK will tell you, feeling pressure for your spot will result in a dip in your performance. Managers know this, keepers know this. That's why GK's are rarely dropped, and if they are it is usually the end for them at that club.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: May 30, 2016, 04:37:56 pm »
GK's are different.

Nearly every GK will tell you, feeling pressure for your spot will result in a dip in your performance. Managers know this, keepers know this. That's why GK's are rarely dropped, and if they are it is usually the end for them at that club.

That's fascinating. I won't challenge your opinion, as I've never played the position and observation seems to back your view, but I'd be very interested in the psychology involved. Why would competition cause mental fragility for goalkeepers alone? If you have any links to studies on this, I'd be grateful.

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #390 on: May 30, 2016, 05:28:04 pm »
That's fascinating. I won't challenge your opinion, as I've never played the position and observation seems to back your view, but I'd be very interested in the psychology involved. Why would competition cause mental fragility for goalkeepers alone? If you have any links to studies on this, I'd be grateful.

GK's union.

For me, and others i've talked to in rep teams and such, it's about confidence. GK is really the only position where you can lose the game with one mistake on a regular basis. It's the only position that is purely reactionary and you need such confidence and speed of thought to play the position well that as soon as doubt creeps in and you start 2nd guessing yourself you're done, you worry about a mistake and it's only a matter of time before one happens.

There's also the angle that the defence needs a general, and that should be the keeper, if only because they have the best view of the game, you switch up the general constantly and the troops are confused and suffer.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2016, 05:33:36 pm »
No way has Klopp assured the lad of anything other than if he works hard he'll get opportunities and if he grabs those he could be number 1 for a decade or more.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Boer_War

• Main Stander
« Reply #392 on: May 30, 2016, 05:45:42 pm »
Would Mignolet not of asked for assurances before signing a 5 year contract?

Interesting to see who starts the first match. Klopp talks allot of the importance of pre-season, I'd imagine that will be a big factor.
Get 8% cash back from the official store

http://www.quidco.com/user/4882829

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #393 on: May 30, 2016, 05:49:36 pm »
Would Mignolet not of asked for assurances before signing a 5 year contract?
Has Mignolet made any assurances he won`t be making any mistakes?

Online Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: May 30, 2016, 07:23:53 pm »
GK's union.

For me, and others i've talked to in rep teams and such, it's about confidence. GK is really the only position where you can lose the game with one mistake on a regular basis. It's the only position that is purely reactionary and you need such confidence and speed of thought to play the position well that as soon as doubt creeps in and you start 2nd guessing yourself you're done, you worry about a mistake and it's only a matter of time before one happens.

There's also the angle that the defence needs a general, and that should be the keeper, if only because they have the best view of the game, you switch up the general constantly and the troops are confused and suffer.

OK, thanks for your insight. I'm a bit of a student of performance psychology, so you've provoked my curiosity and I'll do some further research.

Sorry if I dragged things off-topic.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: May 30, 2016, 09:01:51 pm »

I'm sorry but I know shit about how LFC staff operate and who monitors them. How come you're an expert?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:03:55 pm by Zlen »

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2016, 09:56:16 pm »

It's mad isn't it?  99.99% of the members of this forum know the sum total of fuck all about the technicalities of goalkeeper coaching (myself included) yet it has become an article of faith that Achterberg isn't up to it?  He's on his 5th manager here now, so maybe those who do know a little bit about coaching rate him?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2016, 10:32:45 pm »
It's mad isn't it?  99.99% of the members of this forum know the sum total of fuck all about the technicalities of goalkeeper coaching (myself included) yet it has become an article of faith that Achterberg isn't up to it?  He's on his 5th manager here now, so maybe those who do know a little bit about coaching rate him?

It's a really strange one, i'm not sure where it originated from past a vague correlation = causation. I know people who hold a lot of anger about Achterberg, for seemingly no reason.

I don't know if it was just a refusal to accept Reina's obvious decline, so Achterberg got the brunt of it. I've never really seen any other club have fans complain about their goalkeeper coach
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Boer_War

• Main Stander
« Reply #398 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:53 pm »

Yeah it's mad people are blaming these guys. It is obviously Josemi's fault we didn't have a good season.
Get 8% cash back from the official store

http://www.quidco.com/user/4882829

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:23 pm »
Yeah it's mad people are blaming these guys. It is obviously Josemi's fault we didn't have a good season.
You have to take into consideration Achterberg was most likely consulted when Mignolet was scouted; and now after 3 years we can conclude Mignolet was brought in for a decent fee while having some fundamental technical flaws in his game.