Author Topic: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)  (Read 43996 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2016, 10:01:12 am »
1996 versus United is obviously the most painful. Short term pain plus long term regret. That day was the chance we had to stop United in their tracks. Evans and his team blew it big time.

1988 v Wimbledon hurt as did the League Cup v Arsenal in 1987. I was a young lad for both of these and that probably plays a part in it hurting more. As someone earlier said, though not a final the 4-3 v Palace in 1990 was a hard one to take.

Out of the more recent finals the one I look back on with most regret now is the CL in 2007. At the time though, I don't think it hurt as much as it should. The after glow of Istanbul was there and it seemed inevitable that we would reach other European Finals in the shirt term. Obviously that didn't happen and I think on reflection that's the final seems like a massive missed opportunity.

The Europa League defeat is hard to put into context. Mainly because it's so recent. I was really gutted after the League Cup final v City but we had games straight after to get that defeat out of the system. This Europa League defeat is different. In time we may look back on this Europa League defeat with huge regret. On the other hand it be viewed as a blessing in disguise.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2016, 10:05:21 am »

The Europa League defeat is hard to put into context. Mainly because it's so recent. I was really gutted after the League Cup final v City but we had games straight after to get that defeat out of the system. This Europa League defeat is different. In time we may look back on this Europa League defeat with huge regret. On the other hand it be viewed as a blessing in disguise.
thats a pretty good point about the games after the league cup final, stuffing city a few days later definitely helped getting over it
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:24 am »
Wembley 96
Wembley 88
Hampden 66
Wembley 71

Not sure yet where to fit Basel in. At least we gave it a go in the other games. Still gutted about this one, but it's difficult to remember how bad were the others on the scale of guttedness cos time supposedly heals all wounds ... ::)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #323 on: May 23, 2016, 10:11:16 am »
Last week ranks high on the list (Maybe because it's still a bit raw). We really should have won that; the second half was unforgivable. A win would have meant so much going into the new season: CL football, the biggest trophy win in a decade, a bunch of players winning something for the first time, the optimism and experience that winning brings etc. Instead, we're still lamenting a weak mentality and wondering when we'll win silverware next.

It also sucks that since 2005 we've lost a final in every single competition it's possible for us to play in.

Offline fid1892

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #324 on: May 23, 2016, 10:24:44 am »
I've seen Liverpool lose finals before - Being at Wembley watching Cantona get his winning goal was bad, but this latest one feels so much worse, even though I wasn't at the game.

This year was the first year that I have been able to take both of my kids to all of the home games (bar one) in the run up to the final, and we have been treated to some fantastic nights - and then to lose it all with what seemed like barely a whimper was horrible.

Offline ripsaw19

• Kopite
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2016, 02:21:51 pm »
The '96 cup final is still the worst for me. I was 13 and it was the first final I remember watching us play. There was so much hype leading up to the game and I was sure we'd win. I was inconsolable at the final whistle and realised at that point that supporting this great club of ours was never going to be an easy task.
I still have yet to see us play a European Cup final. The Army have sent me away both times that we played in '05 and '07 so although Athens didn't hurt as much because I couldn't watch it, I was also unable to feel the euphoria of Istanbul.
Hoping Klopp gives me the opportunity to watch us in a European Cup final one day
ST Waiting List Position - 1556

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #326 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:59 am »
Unfortunately it's this year's Europa final, even though the upside is we have Klopp. I felt it could have been our biggest turning point, the competition in PL every year is becoming tougher by the year and achieveing top 4.

I can only hope what we achieve over next 2 seasons will make that defeat in Basle less hurtful.

Never watched the Athens final again, but it seems at the time was destined for AC Milan to win, though we were the better side than 2005, at the time we proved getting to the 2005 final was not by sheer luck! AC Milan was a top class experience side we were always underdogs.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #327 on: May 25, 2016, 06:13:07 am »
it wasn't a notch above - back then it was Champions only in European Cup - runners up in the league in the UEFA cup followed by domestic cup winners in the Cup Winners Cup.  It's true that the cup winners cup existed before the UEFA cup, but once introduced back in 1971 the UEFA Cup was more prestigious - in my opinion.

....and yes Everton did have  a pretty decent side back then.
I think you're right. Plus the others who have said similar.

I think maybe my original view was clouded due to the Super Cup being contested between the EC and CWC winners.
But wiki sums it up nicely, basically as...."the CWC was more prestigious...but the quality/sporting level was less..."

So yeah, it does look like the UEFA Cup was the one to brag about.

Still would've loved to have us hold the CWC at some point though to 'complete' our collection of big trophies.
Oh yeah, and the Club World Cup..

Seem to remember though that the CWC was one ugly trophy. UEFA Cup has always looked better :D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: May 25, 2016, 08:25:08 am »

Seem to remember though that the CWC was one ugly trophy. UEFA Cup has always looked better :D
had to google it

you are right, the cwc looks like a bog standard trophy you get in some shop for an under 12s final

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #329 on: May 25, 2016, 09:31:45 am »
1. CL final 1985 - Platini's penalty wa for a foul on Boniek OUTSIDE the box. Well outside. Plus the numerous assaults on our players by the italian defenders which the referee did not call.
2. FA Cup Final 1996 - the less said about it. I reckon if we'd won that, Evans would have remained for a long time, won the league and we would have retained some sort of Boot Room legacy.

Offline Jay012345

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • How many topics?
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2016, 09:45:05 am »
This last one. Klopp and champions league football would have given us a far better chance to attract some top talent. I hope this doesn't set us back too far and he can unearth some gems in the process.

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2016, 05:44:47 pm »
had to google it

you are right, the cwc looks like a bog standard trophy you get in some shop for an under 12s final
Yep hahaha

Whereas as far as trophies go without handles, the UEFA Cup is pretty funky :D

Nothing as beautiful as Big Ears and the olde First Division trophy though! Still remember it being tossed around Anfield on a victory lap
:(

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: May 26, 2016, 05:36:58 pm »
1. CL final 1985 - Platini's penalty wa for a foul on Boniek OUTSIDE the box. Well outside. Plus the numerous assaults on our players by the italian defenders which the referee did not call.

Really? Thank God we didn't win in 85. Would have been tainted beyond belief, and could have made things even worse on the night

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: May 26, 2016, 06:42:03 pm »
2007 hurt me the most,we were the better team in the final and should have #6, and also had the hardest route to the final beating Barcelona and the Plastics.

1996 comes a close 2nd,hated going to school the following Monday and getting pelters off the United fans.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: May 27, 2016, 08:51:56 am »
This last final hurts me the most. Everything in the world was going to be righted after winning this. We were back in the champions league, back in the winners list, we have Klopp and the whole tides of fortune seemed to be turning. Although the league went to shit we had great runs in the cups and some performances to take heart in. It seemed that the Europa league was a rising from the ashes when LFC finally started awakening from its slumber, instead we were left with nothing. Not even Europa league for next season. The only shining light left from the season is Klopp. This one fucking hurt.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 27, 2016, 10:35:52 am »
Really? Thank God we didn't win in 85. Would have been tainted beyond belief, and could have made things even worse on the night
I was only 2  but that said im not sure why anyone would be gutted at us losing this

be gutted about everything else alright
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:47:18 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #336 on: May 27, 2016, 12:02:31 pm »
The game should never of even been played at Heysel in the first place. It was in no way fit enough to stage a final. And the game should never have gone ahead with 39 people lying dead on the running track by the side of the pitch either. Fucking UEFA.  :wanker

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #337 on: May 27, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »
And the game should never have gone ahead with 39 people lying dead on the running track by the side of the pitch either.
Easy to say now though Solomon, at the time they had to make a call and didn't like the option of letting everyone outside without playing the game after stuff like that had happened. Could have been a lot more ugly than it was.

For me, Wembley 77 (losing to them plus losing the treble) and Basel 2016.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 27, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »
In terms of the negative impact it could potentially have, this last one has to hurt the most.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #339 on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:57 pm »
Charlie fxxxing George.
Kung fu Eric.
My worst two.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #340 on: May 27, 2016, 09:18:13 pm »
Always the most recent one ....the rest are just history ....as are those won ....if they are both history , then I'd rather focus on the ones we won ......those which meant the most .....

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: May 27, 2016, 09:54:19 pm »
The two against United.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #342 on: May 28, 2016, 12:08:32 am »
Arsenal in '71 gutted me. I was only nine and I cried my eyes out.

Manc's in '77 was a sickener, but big ears made up for it later.

The 'Spice Boys' fiasco in '96 was a low point.

Sevilla hurt because of the abject surrender. I can take a heroic loss, but such capitulation in a major final is not something I've ever associated with Liverpool FC.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #343 on: May 28, 2016, 12:21:32 am »
The 'Spice Boys' fiasco in '96 was a low point.

Completely bottled it and the fact it was against them made it ten times worse.

That and Athens 07.

Sevilla hurt because of the abject surrender. I can take a heroic loss, but such capitulation in a major final is not something I've ever associated with Liverpool FC.

We were dogshit in the 96 cup final but after the first half in Basel I don't think anyone was expecting us to fold like that.
Hopefully we'll actually have a spine the next time we get to a cup final.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline ★deb★, please ?

• Anny Roader
« Reply #344 on: May 28, 2016, 12:23:56 am »
Villa semi last year at Wembley hurt most.
Not a final I know. I was expecting to trash them.
I would have been more sad losing to Villareal than to fucing Seville.
Only mad now, no sadness

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: May 30, 2016, 04:42:04 pm »

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2016, 04:48:19 pm »
The Basel one by a long shot! Seeing Liverpool going out with a whimper was difficult to say the least.

Offline Icky

• Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Road
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2016, 09:42:24 pm »

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:03 am »
1996. I was 11 years old, watched the whole day on the tele. Remember now walking down the garden at my parents house in floods of tears after the final whistle
We're the kings of Europe, the pride of Merseyside, we'll fight for no surrender, we'll fight for Shankly's pride.

Offline MightyRedLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2016, 02:44:13 pm »
This last final hurts me the most. Everything in the world was going to be righted after winning this. We were back in the champions league, back in the winners list, we have Klopp and the whole tides of fortune seemed to be turning. Although the league went to shit we had great runs in the cups and some performances to take heart in. It seemed that the Europa league was a rising from the ashes when LFC finally started awakening from its slumber, instead we were left with nothing. Not even Europa league for next season. The only shining light left from the season is Klopp. This one fucking hurt.

this

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2016, 02:46:16 pm »
it can really fuck you up for the start of the summer

id be still buzzing if we won

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2016, 03:22:17 pm »
Aye it was right up there.

The abysmal everything that we were in the 1996 final vs Utd & the other '77 Greenoff too.

The 1-2 Nicholas final too done my head in.

Back to Sevilla tho & missing out on competing in the CL is huge,also locking horns with Real in the super cup in august would have been great.

Amongst the rest are the loss to AC in 2007,the rest are archived/deleted from memory.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2016, 03:24:09 pm »
it can really fuck you up for the start of the summer

id be still buzzing if we won

True that, after any big defeat can't wait for the next game to put it right, this one is different of course, got whole summer to stew over it.
Had we won I'd be watching a DVD now on how we did it, the glorious victories on the way,
crowds meeting the team bus etc etc..now still got the feeling of how bad that 45 minutes where.

Haha..depressing  myself now, often wonder if it ruins the players summer too?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:25:54 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »

Haha..depressing  myself now, often wonder if it ruins the players summer too?

id say so but a good chunk are gone to the euros

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2016, 04:19:49 pm »
I think there's good arguments that the most costly defeats in our history were 1996 to Utd in the FA Cup, and this years Europa League.

In 96, we had won the League Cup the year before so going on to win the FA Cup the next season would have been clear progress to say nothing of putting a dampner on United. It would really have put us up there with them because don't forget, the FA Cup was more important in those days too. As it was, from then on Roy Evan's teams never really looked decent again.

But I actually think this seasons's Europa League final is the worst defeat in our history, worse than 85 and 2007. The fact we don't even have European football now and all the recruitment problems that will bring plus issues with keeping a large squad/young players with enough playing time, have no trophy (and its still the third most important trophy a club side can win in Europe), the stigma of losing 2 finals in 3 months, the question marks over Klopp's final record....this defeat hurt me more than any other.

Offline Barrowred

• Kopite
« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2016, 06:39:23 pm »
In no particular order, they all hurt like fuck

77 - 8 years old and cried my eyes out
85 - Couldn't really get my head round us losing a European cup final
96 - Watched this at Pwllhelli Butlins camp, it was my stag do ???. We watched it the big concert room. Our group was between the Liverpool and Manc groups. At the end we had to vacate pretty sharpish as the bottles started flying between the two groups ;D. Fucking awful game compounded by them winning, that French twat scoring the winner and me being dressed as a Brownie!
2015 League cup - The result spoilt what was a very good weekend in London, performance wasnt to bad though
2015 Europa -  Can't believe we turned in such a bad second half performance but we should have put the game to bed before half time

Suprisingley 2007 didn't hurt as much as it should have done as I thought we were going to be competing for it on a regular basis. How wrong was I

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #356 on: June 2, 2016, 03:08:48 am »
2. FA Cup Final 1996 - the less said about it. I reckon if we'd won that, Evans would have remained for a long time, won the league and we would have retained some sort of Boot Room legacy.

I can only assume that you were very young in '85 and could not understand the enormity of what went on before kick off. That result, above all others, did not mean a jot.

Rest in peace to all 39 Juventus fans who lost their lives that day.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #357 on: June 2, 2016, 03:12:58 am »

I can only assume that you were very young in '85 and could not understand the enormity of what went on before kick off. That result, above all others, did not mean a jot.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #358 on: June 2, 2016, 05:42:07 am »

That was possibly the lowest point for me as a fan.
I was ashamed, and I got in after the wall had collapsed. We never knew until we got back to the U K,  that people had died. We were never going to win THAT game.
In fact I stopped going for a couple of seasons, and then just as I started to enjoy footy again, along came  Hillsborough..
And even though we beat EFC, in the final that year, I felt shame again, thinking  that the final should never have been played.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #359 on: June 2, 2016, 07:15:37 pm »
Not a final as such but the 2-0 to Arsenal in 1989. It felt like a final after playing so many games in such a short time. It was 1-0 on the radio as I pulled onto my drive just as Thomas scored. Haven't been able to listen to the match when driving ever since. I was strangely confident straight after 2007, we played well, had a good manager and the new owners were promising investment and a brand new ground.
 How wrong can you be! Almost straight away stories started about H&G hogging tickets and accommodation, Rafa walking the streets, Snoog Doggy Dog and other crap