Author Topic: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)  (Read 43963 times)

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2016, 03:18:08 am »
07. The whole debacle trying to get into the ground. Finally getting in after getting battered, stinking of tear gas and then the jammy goal before half time etc. Etc.

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2016, 06:17:08 pm »
Yeah '07 still turns my stomach - thought that was deffo ours that season; really hard to take losing to the rent boys or the mancs,  I know its not  final but no game has ever floored me as much as Arsenal '89.

Offline Redzippy

• Kopite
  • Woof woof ! - sick of it i tells yer !
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2016, 06:19:40 pm »
Wimbeldon 88 ..... my first final as a kid...... still makes me feel like shit thinking about it now !
Y-N-W-A

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2016, 06:32:30 pm »
07 Athens. It's been mentioned a couple of times, but not enough - what the fuck was up with the ref blowing up well before time? I was convinced we were going to equalise - even the commentators were saying "spirit of Istanbul" and all that.

We had a good half minute or so to play, and we were just about to launch it u towards Peter Crouch.
Big european games never go more than 2/3mins over time due to the huge money being paid by sponsors for global advertising rights. No matter what happens the refs blow up.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2016, 06:56:53 pm »
Against Arsenal in 87. For some reason I was devoed  for days .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2016, 09:01:05 pm »
Just thought I'd mentioned the 1st leg against Chelsea in 08 in Europe. The Riise own goal. Jesus fcking christ, still haven't gotten over it.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2016, 09:07:45 pm »
77 for me all day long,devastated me at 10 years old.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2016, 09:24:32 pm »
Stuck between two, though they all hurt, but - 77' I was only a kid but it broke my fuckin heart that. While 88' was more of a massive volley in the nuts than a heart breaker.

I hate football.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:04 pm »
The thing is 2007 didn't devastate me as I expected to lose. Athens is to Milan what Rome is to us plus after 05 we were never winning that game.

I was 15 when we lost in 96 but again that didn't devastate or hurt me because that whole final and white suits summed up our players mentality at the time. All flash  no substance.

To be frank I've been more devastated and hurt over semi final defeats than finals (1990, 2008 and 2015) .

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2016, 10:09:52 pm »
Against Arsenal in 87. For some reason I was devoed  for days .

That's the one that sticks in my mind, I was only 9 and absolutely destroyed by us losing.

My only real memory now apart from how bad I felt was Perry Groves coming on and playing like Ronaldo...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2016, 10:17:24 pm »
That's the one that sticks in my mind, I was only 9 and absolutely destroyed by us losing.

My only real memory now apart from how bad I felt was Perry Groves coming on and playing like Ronaldo...

Haha yeah, always hated him. Didn't he carve out a punditry career for a while?

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2016, 10:30:25 pm »
1996, as others have said it seemed to finally confirm Utd's dominance

Villa at Wembley last year felt worse than a lot of final defeats though. Dire performance that seemed to be soaked in the bad memories of losing out in the league in 13/14
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »
1996, as others have said it seemed to finally confirm Utd's dominance

Villa at Wembley last year felt worse than a lot of final defeats though. Dire performance that seemed to be soaked in the bad memories of losing out in the league in 13/14

I still can't believe Brendan was "spared" after the disastrous ending to last season. That abomination of a semifinal + the Stevie Farewell Tour of the last few matches really left a sour taste in my mouth, and I honestly thought he was a goner then. It's kinda depressing to think about how quickly we crumbled last season - after a decent run, just one bad match and it all fell apart.

In any case, last season as a whole felt to me like a horrible comedown after the amazing highs of 13/14.

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2016, 12:26:50 am »
1977 FA Cup Final watched as an eight year old.

We just didnt look like we would win it despite being the better side. I lost it watching Emlyn dragging himself up the steps in tears knowing that the double had gone and we had 4 days to prepare for the European Cup Final.

1985 Heysel. for so many reasons. That was a horrible end to the season with deaths at Bradford and Birmingham matches.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2016, 12:27:08 am »
Heysel 1985 - Nothing can hurt more than the events of that night

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2016, 01:02:03 am »
All that needs to be said. ^^^

I snuck in at the back with my banner and when we lost I burst into uncontrollable tears. I loved that Rafa came over and clapped us off, but that's the one that hurt me the most. We deserved to win. Perhaps we were owed it after sneaking it over them in Istanbul.

I felt really bad afterwards after getting in on a fake ticket that so much had happened outside before kick off, and one of my mates had his genuine ticket robbed off him.

I also cried at the league cup final the other day. Just how we got back into it and I thought we were destined for it and then fell short at penalties. Horrible.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2016, 12:51:59 pm »
To be fair a lot of other teams supporters have also suffered cup final heartbreak at your hands, 2001 was the worst for me, battered you for 80 minutes, then Owen popped up with 2 goals and it was over, we'd won nothing for 4 years, had that Giggs goal from 2 years earlier, and it seemed we won't win anything ever again no matter what we do.
West Ham fans are probably still heartbroken about that gerrard goal from about 40 yards, and imagine being 3-0 up in a European cup final and not winning it. You also beat Everton in the cup final, after a 3-3 draw? That must've hurt.
When you get to finals regularly, you'll have the highs and the lows, I prefer both to not even getting there.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »
You also beat Everton in the cup final, after a 3-3 draw? That must've hurt.

I must have been hibernating when this happened. What 3-3 draw ? We beat them in F.A. Cup finals in 1986 (3-1) and 1989 (3-2); also in the League Cup final of 1984 (1-0 after a 0-0 draw). I can add the Screen Sport Super Cup final of 1986 too if you like (Liverpool won 3-1 at Anfield and 4-1 at Goodison) but I still can't find a 3-3 draw anywhere. There have been four 3-3 League draws between Liverpool and Everton (1926, 1928, 1930 and 2013) and there was also a 3-3 draw at Goodison in September 1945 in the Lancashire Senior Cup!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:19 pm »

I must have been hibernating when this happened. What 3-3 draw ? We beat them in F.A. Cup finals in 1986 (3-1) and 1989 (3-2); also in the League Cup final of 1984 (1-0 after a 0-0 draw). I can add the Screen Sport Super Cup final of 1986 too if you like (Liverpool won 3-1 at Anfield and 4-1 at Goodison) but I still can't find a 3-3 draw anywhere. There have been four 3-3 League draws between Liverpool and Everton (1926, 1928, 1930 and 2013) and there was also a 3-3 draw at Goodison in September 1945 in the Lancashire Senior Cup!
havent seen your name in a while

To be fair a lot of other teams supporters have also suffered cup final heartbreak at your hands,
very true, and 2001 was a smash and grab, you boys should have been out of sight by that stage
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2016, 02:43:54 pm »
havent seen your name in a while
 very true, and 2001 was a smash and grab, you boys should have been out of sight by that stage

Yeah, were it not for our Rush Goalies all having blinders we probably would have lost that.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »
Yeah, were it not for our Rush Goalies all having blinders we probably would have lost that.
Rush Goalies?

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2016, 02:56:01 pm »
Not many thankfully.

1. 2007 European Cup Final. Battered them and lost. Ref was dodgy, and blew up early. Remember reading the day before the game Alan Hansen's column and how we are certain to win it. :o
Biggest game, so biggest disappointment. Would have been 6 times European Champions.

Non Cup Final is most definitely 'the Thomas moment', and Chelsea league game in the title run in. Cruel doesn't begin to describe it. Lost appetite for almost a week! :butt :butt

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2016, 02:56:20 pm »
Has to be CL final of '07. Considering how well we played that game, just a bitter pill to swallow when AC won that.

Suppose same could be said for Istanbul in their case!
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2016, 02:58:58 pm »

I thought Henchoz was brilliant at it. Didnt Hyppia have a go too or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2016, 03:05:37 pm »
I thought Henchoz was brilliant at it. Didnt Hyppia have a go too or is my memory playing tricks on me?
rush goalie must be last man back or fly keeper as we call it in the emerald isle

Hyypia didnt handle it but did clear the ball off the line 3 times in 2001

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »
rush goalie must be last man back or fly keeper as we call it in the emerald isle

Hyypia didnt handle it but did clear the ball off the line 3 times in 2001

We had 'goalie when ness'...basically anyone could try their hand (literally !)
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2016, 04:31:53 pm »
Athens.  Without doubt.

Offline Alanslad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2016, 05:15:42 pm »
77 for me all day long,devastated me at 10 years old.

same here

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
Athens left me numbest for longest.

Wimbledon 88 andChelsea 05 and 12 all hurt but FA Cups and League Cups can be won relatively easier (ie youre in them every year without fail AND the quality of opposition is way inferior)

You only get so many shots at the European Cup and gwtting to the final. I really felt that it was a chance missed. Milan weren't even that good that year.

I remember thinking that we could make it 6-2 over the Mancs aswell.   Just 2 years later it was 5-3 with them having a chance to make it 5-4!

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2016, 08:55:14 pm »
Two spring to mind for me:

'71 v Arsenal. I was 10, sat on the settee which I'd pulled up nearer to the TV. I suspect it was a tiny black and white. Anyway, my abiding memory was of the TV programme finishing about ten past 5. I just stared at the screen and sort of just waited for the programme to come back on with the whole game being replayed, but with Liverpool winning. It took me days and days to get over it.

'78 League Cup Final replay at Old Trafford. A poxy penalty. I'm sure fans much younger than me can't get their head round how much we hated Forest and how much of a hoodoo they had over us.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2016, 09:13:05 pm »
Athens '07.

I always wonder just what would've happened if we brought on Robbie since we were far better in an attacking sense and in terms of balance than we were in '05.

Even in his second spell, he maintained his 1-in-2 ratio with what little gametime he had. Robbie never had blistering pace, but he's intelligence and finishing prowess was never in doubt- even at that age.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:14:55 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:59 pm »
Two spring to mind for me:

'71 v Arsenal. I was 10, sat on the settee which I'd pulled up nearer to the TV. I suspect it was a tiny black and white. Anyway, my abiding memory was of the TV programme finishing about ten past 5. I just stared at the screen and sort of just waited for the programme to come back on with the whole game being replayed, but with Liverpool winning. It took me days and days to get over it.

'78 League Cup Final replay at Old Trafford. A poxy penalty. I'm sure fans much younger than me can't get their head round how much we hated Forest and how much of a hoodoo they had over us.

Yes, us and Forest some rivalry back then, and as I said in my OP that Arsenal one left me gutted, just 13 myself then and it really hurt.

Least we had a colour telly though  ;)

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:15 pm »
1988. First FA Cup Final (in person of course!)

That or the 1987 League Cup final. Rushie scored first and we'd never lost when he had, then Charlie fucking Nicholas happened. Twat.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:44:23 pm by Kennys from heaven »
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2016, 10:06:45 pm »
Athens '07.

I always wonder just what would've happened if we brought on Robbie since we were far better in an attacking sense and in terms of balance than we were in '05.

Even in his second spell, he maintained his 1-in-2 ratio with what little gametime he had. Robbie never had blistering pace, but he's intelligence and finishing prowess was never in doubt- even at that age.

Robbie didn't make the bench did he? With only playing Kuyt up front we had both Bellamy and Crouch on the bench so I guess there wasn't room for 3 strikers.

Offline rednick75

• Begets Rednich85
  • Anny Roader
  • If the shit fits, wear it!
    • Rednick75 Youtube
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »
Wimbledon.  Cried, kicked and screamed when Aldo missed the pen and it dawned on me we were gonna lose

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:07 pm »
Sao Paulo was a tough one to take. Club World Cup is the only trophy we've never won and we were robbed. This we had about 4 goals ruled out? Plus you have to win the champions league to be in it so I knew then the chance had gone.

Not a cup final but Chelsea 2 years ago. Still can't get over not winning the league that year and never will.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline roma77

• Main Stander
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:28 pm »
Arsenal '71. Complete shock. 10 years old. Never forget Charlie George's celebrations, I thought he looked too much like Jesus. Tried to replay the game single handed, through the tears, in my back garden for a winning outcome. I suppose the term today would be cathartic.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2016, 10:30:42 pm »
Yes, us and Forest some rivalry back then, and as I said in my OP that Arsenal one left me gutted, just 13 myself then and it really hurt.

Least we had a colour telly though  ;)

It went with the wireless, party phone line, Ford Zephyr with sills patched up with chicken wire and plastic padding, oh, and lino in my leaking "baseys."

And, seriously, we were pretty well off  :-\   ;D

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »
Sao Paulo was a tough one to take. Club World Cup is the only trophy we've never won and we were robbed. This we had about 4 goals ruled out?

Never won the Cup Winners Cup either, that's why our only final which ended in defeat robbed us of winning all 3 major Europen Trophies.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »
It went with the wireless, party phone line, Ford Zephyr with sills patched up with chicken wire and plastic padding, oh, and lino in my leaking "baseys."

And, seriously, we were pretty well off  :-\   ;D

Haha..party lines, how odd where they? Heard that click when you where on the phone and it meant your neighbours wanted to use the same line too, if they didn't do the polite thing and hang up they basically just listened in till you where finished  ;D