Author Topic: Benteke - Liverpool's Number 9  (Read 160178 times)

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Benteke - Liverpool's Number 9
« Reply #1440 on: May 24, 2016, 11:09:03 am »
Would be be a good option to use in the games against the Stokes and West Broms of this world, where we need a big battering ram option, and to rotate from Sturridge ?
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1441 on: May 24, 2016, 03:29:20 pm »
Would be be a good option to use in the games against the Stokes and West Broms of this world, where we need a big battering ram option, and to rotate from Sturridge ?

Thing is, Benteke (despite the general perspective of him) doesn't actually excel particularly well in this way. When have you seen him using his height and strength and bullying other players in recent times? I'm not just talking for us,  I mean even in his last season at Villa? He lacks aggression and is no problem for the types of teams you've mentioned these days.

Origi is actually far better at using his strength and height than Benteke is, not to mention massively superior in his hold up play, so if you're wanting a big lad who can mix it up with the rougher teams in the league, I'm not even sure Benteke is your man...

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1442 on: May 24, 2016, 03:42:37 pm »
Thing is, Benteke (despite the general perspective of him) doesn't actually excel particularly well in this way. When have you seen him using his height and strength and bullying other players in recent times? I'm not just talking for us,  I mean even in his last season at Villa? He lacks aggression and is no problem for the types of teams you've mentioned these days.

Origi is actually far better at using his strength and height than Benteke is, not to mention massively superior in his hold up play, so if you're wanting a big lad who can mix it up with the rougher teams in the league, I'm not even sure Benteke is your man...
+ Origi adds tireless pressing from the front
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: May 24, 2016, 03:44:14 pm »
If we can get over £20m for him we should just sell. We don't need this many strikers as it is
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1444 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:14 am »
Does anyone think if Klopp does decide to keep him, We will see a much improved Benteke next season?

The expectations of the price tag and being at a big club might of affected him for this season and 2nd season will be much better?

Offline Beerbelly

• Main Stander
« Reply #1445 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:47 am »
Does anyone think if Klopp does decide to keep him, We will see a much improved Benteke next season?

The expectations of the price tag and being at a big club might of affected him for this season and 2nd season will be much better?

Benteke is what he is. He don't fit the current pattern of play and he is clearly not prepared or possibly able to put in the yards chasing the opposition down when called upon to do so. At present he is a very expensive impact player and the impact has been very limited to date. Personally I would get rid and look for more mobile strikers. He does allow the team an option but this option is normally pumping balls into the box when chasing a game and having no other ideas on how to breakdown a defense.

The question is how much of a hit is the club prepared to take to off load him. if he remains at the club in his current role his selling value will not improve (whatever that price tag is deemed to be by prospective clubs) He will not be offered a new contract in such circumstances and hence the club will have paid 30 million plus wages for him to walk when contract ends. We just need to hope that some club thinks he can be the missing piece to their jigsaw puzzle and he agrees to move.

From his personal view he has done very well considering what happened to Villa this season. But I think he is on a downward spiral now unless he moves and restarts his career. Financially he may do well to stay and be a bit part player but at best I see him ending up another Balotelli if he takes that route.

We don't really know what these guys contracts contain as to transfers so I guess we are all pissing in the wind discussing his future.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Christian Benteke
« Reply #1446 on: August 20, 2016, 11:29:44 am »
Good luck with your new club lad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37028477

Crystal Palace have signed Belgium striker Christian Benteke from Liverpool for a club record £27m.

The fee for the 25-year-old forward, who has agreed a four-year contract, could rise by a further £5m.

Benteke joined the Reds for £32.5m in July 2015 and scored 10 goals, but started only eight Premier League games under new boss Jurgen Klopp.

He becomes Palace's fourth signing of the summer after Andros Townsend, James Tomkins and Steve Mandanda.

"I'm very happy to commit my future to Crystal Palace," said former Aston Villa player Benteke, who has six goals in 26 games for his country.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Christian Benteke
« Reply #1447 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:44 am »
Handled himself with dignity with the speculation surrounding him.
Was second only to Sturridge in goals per minutes and scored 10 goals, many of which were match winners.
We've recouped most of our money.
When people say he was one of our worst signings, he really wasn't. Just the wrong player for how we wanted to play, which wasn't his fault.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1448 on: August 20, 2016, 11:35:17 am »
Handled himself with dignity with the speculation surrounding him.
Was second only to Sturridge in goals per minutes and scored 10 goals, many of which were match winners.
We've recouped most of our money.
When people say he was one of our worst signings, he really wasn't. Just the wrong player for how we wanted to play, which wasn't his fault.

Blimey. Did someone really say that? He wouldn't even get into the top thirty.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1449 on: August 20, 2016, 11:35:50 am »
Crystal Palace have signed Belgium striker Christian Benteke from Liverpool for a club record £27m.

Is it just me, but when the media report Liverpool transfer news they exclude the add ons when we sell someone and include the add ons when we buy someone?  ???

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: August 20, 2016, 11:36:38 am »
29th October. Nailed on to score 2 or more goals. Get a bet on.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1451 on: August 20, 2016, 11:38:58 am »
Very classy goodbye message from the big fella to us fans. Good luck Christian.  :)

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1452 on: August 20, 2016, 11:43:03 am »
“I would like to thank all the amazing supporters that have been there for me even in the hard moments during the season,” he wrote.

“It was a pleasure playing for such an amazing club as Liverpool FC.

“It’s an experience I will never forget. #YWNA.”

Best of luck

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #1453 on: August 20, 2016, 11:45:49 am »
Best of luck, Big Ben.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1454 on: August 20, 2016, 11:46:25 am »
Good luck Christian! Funnily enough I'll have fond memories of this guy. Was there for the dubious goal against Bournemouth in the first home game, the couple of worldies against United and in preseason, and top of the list the cheeky penalty against he new club, absolutely loved that in the 90th minute. He'll do well at Palace.

Offline Skagen

• Hard for Hodgson
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: August 20, 2016, 11:49:08 am »
Good luck at Palace. Hope he scores a lot for them, except against us of course.
“A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are.”

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: August 20, 2016, 11:53:14 am »
I wish him the best of luck. The goodbye message was classy and appreciated. I always hoped he would make it here, but things changed so much it was a forlorn position. He'll do very well at Palace, I'm sure.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1457 on: August 20, 2016, 11:59:00 am »
Good luck to Christian and a classy farewell message from him as well.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #1458 on: August 20, 2016, 11:59:15 am »
Good luck Christian, I think you'll do well at Palace despite having a dick of a manager.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1459 on: August 20, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »
Some signings don't work out sadly.  I wanted him to be a beast for us but just never fitted into our plans at all.  A little bit like Andy Carroll we threw him into the team and just lumped it forward expecting him to take on 3 defenders and score as a solo striker.  Glad we recouped a lot of the money we paid.  Seems like we stuck to our guns on this one.

Good luck Christian!

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1460 on: August 20, 2016, 12:05:04 pm »
He'll get a decent reception when he returns to Anfield with Palace.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1461 on: August 20, 2016, 12:06:50 pm »
Good luck to him. Palace have a good player on their hands.

Let's hope klopp won't fall into the same trap as kenny and Rodgers thinking we need a plan B with a target man

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1462 on: August 20, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »
Professional & dignified departure hopefully stays that way.

Good luck to the lad..I hope he stays fit & doesn't score a single goal,fucking hate Palace.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1463 on: August 20, 2016, 12:39:58 pm »
Good luck to him except against us! I hope he does well there, it's a shame it never really worked out for him here.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: August 20, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »
Hope the best for him (except against us) and dignified to the last minute.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1465 on: August 20, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »
Seems a really great guy. By all accounts a popular member of the squad and a genuinely nice guy, which is rare in the footballing world. Just not the style of player we need unfortunately for him. But best of luck to him. Hope he has a great career elsewhere except against us.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
« Reply #1466 on: August 20, 2016, 01:01:12 pm »
Good luck Benteke, He was a very adept footballer but just wasn't suited to our style or what we were trying to do

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1467 on: August 20, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »
The right man at the wrong time - imagine him in Kenny or Ged's squad, even Rafa's. The lad has talent for sure, and will no doubt be a huge success for Palace. A shame, but the best move for him really and he's handled himself perfectly throughout.

Good luck Benny, you'll be missed :scarf

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1468 on: August 20, 2016, 01:08:34 pm »
Yes, good luck to Benteke. He wasn't the right fit for us, but he's a good striker and I expect him to score ~15 league goals this season. It's a good deal for all parties.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: August 20, 2016, 01:28:45 pm »
good luck benteke ... except against us. I remember the goal against Man Utd, the winner against Leicester and the last minute goal that got us a draw against Chelsea. A good player, just not a good fit for Klopp

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #1470 on: August 20, 2016, 01:31:09 pm »
Bloody good lad is Christian Benteke. Wish him nothing but the best.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1471 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:04 pm »
Shame it didn't work out. Good luck to him

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1472 on: August 20, 2016, 01:33:58 pm »
Good luck to him and all the best, except against us, seems like a humble and good lad, never complained or whinged, just wasn't the right player for us.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1473 on: August 20, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »
He's too good for Palace really. Top striker. Even in a completely mismatched team, he managed to grab a goal every two games. Hope he moves on to bigger and better things.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1474 on: August 20, 2016, 01:38:58 pm »
All the best for the future. Just wasn't what we needed.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: August 20, 2016, 01:41:47 pm »
Great signing for them and we got most of our money back. I'll have mostly fond memories, especially considering how important some of the goals he got last year - winners at Bournemouth, Leicester, Sunderland, Bordeaux and the injury time penalty against Palace. And then there's this.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1476 on: August 20, 2016, 01:43:49 pm »
It's one of our worst signings in terms of it being a baffling player for us to buy and the money spent on it. Unacceptable mistakes that have us where we've been in the last three years. Not Christian's fault of course and I'm sure he's a good guy and a good player in the right team. Best of luck to him.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: August 20, 2016, 01:47:08 pm »
Best of luck big fella. He's a good player in the right setup, a shame it never really worked out for him. I hope he does well for Palace and think he probably will.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: August 20, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »
Good luck Benteke, although I really dislike Alan Pardew and would like Palace to go down.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1479 on: August 20, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »
Chapter closed on a baffling time at Liverpool FC. Even most of RAWK could see how he was a total mismatch when we were after him.

Sure he'll do well at Palace, they have lots of wingers and Selhurst will be a tough place to go
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012