Author Topic: Benteke - Liverpool's Number 9  (Read 160195 times)

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Benteke - Liverpool's Number 9
« on: September 13, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »
He wears the shirt extremely well. Great player and here's to much more of the same.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Benteke - Liverpool's Number 9
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 04:37:35 pm »
I thought he was really poor yesterday, goal aside obviously. People will just remember his goal so crack on.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 04:40:44 pm »
Really good player but looked like Balotelli last year. Alone and isolated. We are not set up to get the best out of a player like him nor do we have the players to do so unfortunately.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »
His goal was spectacular and I didn't think he had that in his locker. Still being isolated upfront doesn't help him, we don't provide many crosses or cutbacks to aid him and our midfield without Coutinho doesn't really create many opportunities for him.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:44:34 pm »
Really good player

Yep, got it all in his locker.

Strength, Pace, Technique and a bit of a dribble too accompanied with awareness.

He's only 24 too, gonna be a beast.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:13 pm »
He wears the shirt extremely well.

I imagine the kit man (or whoever) ensures they get the right size shirt
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 04:47:25 pm »
Brilliant goal. Still left up top on his own and can't be expected to do much.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 04:49:10 pm »
2 goals in 5 games, should have been 3 vs Arsenal.

Once him, Sturridge, Henderson and Coutinho can all gel together I think we'll be good attacking wise. Probably won't get that for at least 3 more weeks though.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »
Nice to see a positive thread!

Wonder goal yesterday.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »
I thought he was really poor yesterday, goal aside obviously. People will just remember his goal so crack on.

Yeah I agree. Though it's not all down to him, he needs someone who can actually cross it, and players who actually TRY to cross.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »
I thought he was really poor yesterday, goal aside obviously.

He was but there was a suggestion he hadn't recovered from his injury and he was isolated up top with no support so his performance was understandble really. I've seen enough in his first 5 games to think that we've got a really good striker on our hands if we can get the players around him to support him.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ģ25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 04:52:30 pm »
After Carroll and Mario debacles the fear at least for me was will this go the same way. Answer is an emphatic no. It`s clear there are goals in him and despite horrendous service he had these 5 games he still managed to somehow score 2 goals and pretty much maintain his 1in2 ratio. At least gives us hope that with his 15-ish goals this season we`ll have something to build around opposed to what happened last season.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »
Hope to see him develop a relationship with Sturridge when he is back.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »
Hope to see him develop a relationship with Sturridge when he is back.

I think Sturridge could be the one that benefits from all those knock downs/on that Benteke gets with his head, right now they're going to no-one or back to Milner/Henderson/Can in midfield.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 04:58:28 pm »
I just want to see him in the box. He is dangerous there & a handful for any defenders. The less we see him on the halfway line involved in the buildup the better. Fear a little we will not get the best out of him though our lack of wide players & managers reluctance to go direct... Its easily what Benteke excels at & one of the best in the league.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 05:01:12 pm »
Good player. The work underutilized comes to mind though.

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 05:15:07 pm »
He's so much more than he's being allowed to show at the moment. We've turned into a counter attacking team and that most strikers would struggle in. He has no support or chances being created for him.

Already has goal of the season wrapped up after 5 matches though.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CzyXncax5Qo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CzyXncax5Qo</a>

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »
To be fair I think he is still carrying a bit of an injury.

He's a good player, but we have a manager who doesn't seem to have a clue how to get the best out of such a player. Which is what mine and so many other peoples concerns about signing him in the summer were. Get him playing up front with a strike partner like Sturridge and get a bit of width and  it could work. Problem is, is that ever going to happen under Brendan Rodgers?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 05:18:48 pm »
To be fair I think he is still carrying a bit of an injury.

He's a good player, but we have a manager who doesn't seem to have a clue how to get the best out of such a player. Which is what mine and so many other peoples concerns about signing him in the summer were. Get him playing up front with a strike partner like Sturridge and get a bit of width and  it could work. Problem is, is that ever going to happen under Brendan Rodgers?

Which makes no sense really as he was Rodgers number 1 target.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 05:23:27 pm »
Which makes no sense really as he was Rodgers number 1 target.

There is quite a bit that isn't making much sense at our club at the moment mate.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 05:25:19 pm »
There is quite a bit that isn't making much sense at our club at the moment mate.

Never a truer word spoken unfortunately.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »
If you were the manager with the personnel we have available right now how would you go about creating the all important space for him the box?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 05:29:27 pm »
If you were the manager with the personnel we have available right now how would you go about creating the all important space for him the box?

Firmino LW, Milner RW would be a start. Or playing two up top.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »

Play 2 upfront, give him a partner that pulls defenders off him. Have wide players pulling their defense right across the back line to allow him to run into space. Right now we're doing neither and he's surrounded by 3 players everytime he gets the ball.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 05:37:25 pm »
Outrageous goal, absolutely outrageous. Goal of the season so far and I'd be surprised if it's beaten. It's twice as good as Rooney's a few years ago because it came off his boot, not his fucking shin.

His output wanes significantly in the second half of games. I think he tires easily. I noticed this last week and it's something that I noticed yesterday as well. I know he's perhaps carrying something but I hope it's not something that'll be a big concern down the line.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:42:32 pm by Fiasco »

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 06:35:49 pm »
First half against Arsenal is how we should be playing in general, let alone how we should be utilising Benteke

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 06:38:52 pm »
First half against Arsenal is how we should be playing in general, let alone how we should be utilising Benteke
We tried but Smalling is not inferior in the air as Chambers and Gabriel.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »
We tried but Smalling is not inferior in the air as Chambers and Gabriel.

Can press high as a team and display attacking movement against anyone. Both have been woefully lacking in the last 2 games

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 06:44:15 pm »
Feel sorry for the lad to be honest, great strength, holds the ball up well and can score.

Needs support and options in possession, Jesus Christ I'm sick fed up of watching shit hit and hope long balls  being punted the length of the park. Only to see three defenders kicking feckin lumps off him until he cedes possession..

Shouls work well with Sturridge, if he's not played as a wing back 4,5,1 isn't working...
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 06:45:56 pm »
I think Sturridge could be the one that benefits from all those knock downs/on that Benteke gets with his head, right now they're going to no-one or back to Milner/Henderson/Can in midfield.

Not only that, but Sturridge will definitely offer him someone to link up with in the final third. Knockdowns or non knockdowns, Benteke will require a lot of different lines of service if he is to develop as our new no. 9.

Sturridge will benefit from the space that Benteke creates and vica versa. A forward (true forward ala Chelsea) 3 of Benteke, Sturridge and Ings would offer us something different.

The only worry that I have with Benteke is him turning into some kind of Heskey, Kuyt, utility foward who leads the line but in turn, becomes nothing more than a fulcrum for counter attacks.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 06:47:53 pm »
Even when he is isolated, he is still able to hold off defenders and release the ball. Its not ideal for him or the team, but it bodes well.

Makes good runs in behind, yesterday he should've had a 1v1 with De Gea, if not for Can's poor late pass.

And like all good strikers, despite how well he's playing (thought he should've been subbed for Origi, not Ings), he is capable of pulling something out of nowhere, regardless of how the match is going. This was one of the things a lot of Villa fans remarked on, and we witnessed it yesterday.

I'd like to see him properly partnered with Ings up front. Ings playing slightly ahead of Benteke, since Benteke is so dominant in holding and releasing the ball, and tends to like coming from slightly deeper onto crosses and passes. Ings seems like a real "Get ball, score goal" sort of player, manically intent on just sticking it in the fucking net, which we've sorely missed for a long time in this team.

Was worried about how he'd do, but he is clearly good enough across the board to do well for us. Just a matter of getting the best out of him now.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 06:52:40 pm »
Excellent goal yesterday. Keep them coming!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »
Is a beast. Still hilarious how people don't rate him. Plus, he's doing this without any decent support or service.

We've seen this plenty of times when we have 1 up front - it was largely the same no matter who the striker is - be it Suarez or Sturridge. They have largely uninspiring games and then in a single moment they remind the world why they are boss. Problem is though, because our team under this manager does not score a lot goals with 1 up front, our defensive frailties are making it harder and harder to win games.     

Per Benteke himself, you don't pull goals off like his one in pre-season and yesterday without having something special in your locker. Put those on top of his 1 in 2 record and we really need to start supporting him properly. And no, that does not mean we need to start crossing every single ball - we just need players close around them - something all strikers require. He's obviously fluffed his chances a few times (like all strikers do), but he is actually getting into positions and making things happen.

Can't wait to see him again. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:37 pm »
Yep, looks good enough to score at a decent enough rate when feeding off scraps. With players back and/or more support he should score plenty. The least of our worries at the moment.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »
He's nearly scored with every cross put into the box.   

Oh I nearly had an idea then.....but no it's gone.  Damn, dontcha hate it when that happens.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 07:16:29 pm »
He looks good so far considering he is stuck up there on his own with piss poor service.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 07:16:55 pm »
He's nearly scored with every cross put into the box.   

Oh I nearly had an idea then.....but no it's gone.  Damn, dontcha hate it when that happens.
;D

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »

Not sure how he can be blamed when he was given non existent service.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 07:17:48 pm »
He's so much more than he's being allowed to show at the moment. We've turned into a counter attacking team and that most strikers would struggle in. He has no support or chances being created for him.

Already has goal of the season wrapped up after 5 matches though.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CzyXncax5Qo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CzyXncax5Qo</a>

That's just sex.